Online vendor claims sale of first third-gen iPhone parts (photos)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A parts vendor based out of Hong Kong recently updated its product catalog with a front display bezel and LCD screen that it claims will be part of Apple's third-generation iPhone and has put them up for sale. [Updated with artist's rendition of third-gen iPhone.]



"This is great honor for China Ontrade (HK) chinaontrade.com to be the 1st started to supply iPhone 3Gen 2009 parts directly from factory," reads a caption underneath images of the purported components, which are listed as being "In Stock" and ready to ship in 5-12 business days.



LCD component



Not much can be made of the LCD component, which looks strikingly similar to the LCD screen found in the current iPhone 3G with the possible exception of a slightly modified connector. A sticker with part identification numbers reads "S20907 400ER5 MWD22C," which compares part identifiers on one of the current iPhone 3G LCD panels that reads "S20826 6085KY S3A1K."



The first image below shows what appears to be an iPhone 3G LCD screen (left) side-by-side with the purported third-gen iPhone part. The second and third images are close-ups of the connector cables for the two parts while the fourth image is an authentic photo of an iPhone 3G LCD screen taken by iFixIt.



LCD component photos



iPhone 3G's LCD display (left) compared to an alleged LCD display (right) for the third-gen iPhone.



The front of the alleged third-gen iPhone LCD (left) compared to the front of a supposed iPhone 3G LCD (right).



The back of a supposed iPhone 3G LCD (left) compared to the back of an alleged third-gen iPhone LCD (right).



An authentic iPhone 3G LCD part photographed by iFixIt.



Bezel component



When it comes to the purported third-gen iPhone bezel, China Ontrade's claims become increasingly suspect. Most notably the bezel, which appears metallic black as opposed to silver like the current iPhone, ends abruptly just shy of where the iPhone's home button would lie. It would seem uncharacteristic of Apple, which is all about smooth, flowing edges, to introduce new seams on its product. However, the repositioning of the earpiece towards the top of the unit could clear the way for some additional sensors or a front-mounted camera.



Also noteworthy is that the bezel (first photo), when viewed upside down (third photo), is significantly beefier than the iPhone 3G's and appears as if it would comprise a material portion of the handset's back cover, which has traditionally been formed from a single piece of either aluminum or plastic.



Earlier this year, there were several images of a purported third-gen iPhone back cover making the rounds on the web. We've repositioned one of these images (second photo) for comparison alongside the bezel images, which highlight some inconsistencies. None of the images have been authenticated, however. A fourth photo shows an authentic iPhone 3G bezel take by IFixIt.



The bezel part is also debatable given that some of the most recent and increasingly reliable reports regarding the design of the forthcoming third-gen iPhones suggest there would not be changes of such magnitude when compared to the current iPhone 3G. China Ontrade also markets a handful of non-authentic, after-market parts for existing iPhones, making their claims subject to much skepticism.



AppleInsider republishes the photos and claims for readers' interest. An artist's rendition (last image) created by an AppleInsider forum member attempts to depict what an iPhone would look like if it indeed included such a bezel.



Bezel component photos



The front of the purported third-gen iPhone bezel.



An earlier image rumored to be the back cover of the third-gen iPhone.



An image showing the purported third-gen iPhone bezel flipped upside down.



An authentic photo of the iPhone 3Gs bezel taken by iFixIt.



An artist's rendition of an iPhone with the above bezel.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 62
    Well, looks like it's not gonna have OLED. Hopefully they'll catch up on that front in next year's revision - if Microsoft can do it, surely Apple can afford to as well.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    quick! someone piece it together with photoshop and lets see what it will look like! :x



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post


    Well, looks like it's not gonna have OLED. Hopefully they'll catch up on that front in next year's revision - if Microsoft can do it, surely Apple can afford to as well.



    They might be taking the conservative approach on that technology and waiting until it's proven it's self or at least been refined.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post


    Well, looks like it's not gonna have OLED. Hopefully they'll catch up on that front in next year's revision - if Microsoft can do it, surely Apple can afford to as well.



    The new HD Zune made the NY papers today. HD is for a HD radio receiver and not necessarily its screen according to what I read.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    jb85jb85 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    The new HD Zune made the NY papers today. HD is for a HD radio receiver and not necessarily its screen according to what I read.



    what paper was it? i wanna check it out. or is it online too?
  • Reply 5 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb85 View Post


    what paper was it? i wanna check it out. or is it online too?





    It was in our little local AM NY newspaper. No link - I checked. It did however state that Microsoft said this and that it is due in the fall. I like these buzz type of announcements. I really hope Apple announces the new 7- 11" whatever in June even if its not available until fall or winter like they diid with the iPhone and AppleTV way back when.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post


    Well, looks like it's not gonna have OLED. Hopefully they'll catch up on that front in next year's revision - if Microsoft can do it, surely Apple can afford to as well.



    iLounge states?
    "The site does not specify what differences there are between the new iPhone?s screen and its predecessor, but the company lists the new screen at $73 versus $35 for the prior version."
    I hope that isn?t an error.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,571member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    quick! someone piece it together with photoshop and lets see what it will look like! :x







    They might be taking the conservative approach on that technology and waiting until it's proven it's self or at least been refined.



    OLEDs have been on the market for cell phones and other devices for quite a while. Hell, the C6 Chevrolet Corvette has an OLED display in the instrument cluster for the Driver Information Center. The C6 Corvette has been around since 2005...



    I don't understand why people are so quick to downplay the technology or its acceptance in the marketplace if it doesn't make into the iPhone this time around.



    As for other devices using OLED screens, here's a five-page list:



    http://www.oled-info.com/devices



    So I don't want to hear anymore excuses. That being said, I'm crossing my fingers that the iPhone will come with an OLED screen. I'm definitely getting one to replace my iPod touch + el cheapo LG phone.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post


    Well, looks like it's not gonna have OLED. Hopefully they'll catch up on that front in next year's revision - if Microsoft can do it, surely Apple can afford to as well.



    The Zune HD?s OLED is not HD, but the GPU can output 720p HD which means that your 720p content can be loaded and played on the device?s 480x272 3.2? display and, of course, it has the HD radio receiver. That may upset a few people.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,571member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The Zune HD’s OLED is not HD, but the GPU can output 720p HD which means that your 720p content can be loaded and played on the device’s 480x272 3.2” display and, of course, it has the HD radio receiver. That may upset a few people.



    It can play native 720p content on its reduced resolution screen, but it can also take that native 720p content and play it back on a TV with its optional dock (which includes HDMI-out IIRC).



    That being said, why would people be upset at having HD radio?
  • Reply 10 of 62
    cbw87cbw87 Posts: 36member
    I'm not one to pick up on little things in articles, but this one isn't up to the usual standard in its current form; it just reads poorly - it really hit me with this one.



    "inconstancies"



    "it would seem uncharacteristic of Apple, which is all about smooth, flowing edges to introduce new seams on its product."
  • Reply 11 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The Zune HD?s OLED is not HD, but the GPU can output 720p HD which means that your 720p content can be loaded and played on the device?s 480x272 3.2? display and, of course, it has the HD radio receiver. That may upset a few people.



    Why/how would an HD radio receiver upset a few people?

    Do you mean people anticpating HD OLED or people dissapointed that their iPods are lacking this feature?
  • Reply 12 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    So I don't want to hear anymore excuses. That being said, I'm crossing my fingers that the iPhone will come with an OLED screen. I'm definitely getting one to replace my iPod touch + el cheapo LG phone.



    Me too, or least higher resolution, but I don?t understand your ?excuses? comment. If Apple chooses not to add OLED they will obviously have their reasons for it. We can?t do anything about their decision except to either choose to buy or not buy their product so their excuse will be perfectly valid, even if we do not agree with it. Such is life.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post




    That being said, why would people be upset at having HD radio?



    This should be a good answer- you beat me to the question.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    iLounge states…
    "The site does not specify what differences there are between the new iPhone’s screen and its predecessor, but the company lists the new screen at $73 versus $35 for the prior version."
    I hope that isn’t an error.



    Ah, me too. I have to say, OLED would be awfully nice - I've seen it in action and it's SO SO gorgeous. It's gonna put plasma to bed once it's cheaper, that's for damn sure. And dramatically improved battery life + brighter colors AND blacker blacks is pretty much a dream come true.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Me too, or least higher resolution, but I don’t understand your “excuses” comment. If Apple chooses not to add OLED they will obviously have their reasons for it. We can’t do anything about their decision except to either choose to buy or not buy their product so their excuse will be perfectly valid, even if we do not agree with it. Such is life.



    I love it- you even come up with an excuse for Apple's excuses.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Is HD radio what we call DAB in the UK? Digital radio?
  • Reply 17 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    It can play native 720p content on its reduced resolution screen, but it can also take that native 720p content and play it back on a TV...



    You just repeated what I wrote.



    Quote:

    That being said, why would people be upset at having HD radio?



    There is an entire sentence prior to my statement about people being upset so why take only last part that is qualified with an ?of course? to complete my statement about what HD aspects this Zune will have to focus on? I never said they would be upset my HD radio I stated they would be upset with the title of HD when the built-in display is not HD. I think most people won?t even care about HD radio.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    xgmanxgman Posts: 151member
    Unless, the new bezel is designed in such a way around the edges and earpeace, to help minimize the cracking problems that so many have had with the 3G. Nevertheless, IF it is some sort of fake pic, why do they bother. What is the thrill? I don't get it. It is sad that some people have nothing better to do with their time.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    OLEDs have been on the market for cell phones and other devices for quite a while. Hell, the C6 Chevrolet Corvette has an OLED display in the instrument cluster for the Driver Information Center. The C6 Corvette has been around since 2005...



    I don't understand why people are so quick to downplay the technology or its acceptance in the marketplace if it doesn't make into the iPhone this time around.



    As for other devices using OLED screens, here's a five-page list:



    http://www.oled-info.com/devices



    So I don't want to hear anymore excuses. That being said, I'm crossing my fingers that the iPhone will come with an OLED screen. I'm definitely getting one to replace my iPod touch + el cheapo LG phone.



    hey man i was just saying they could be conservative with it. I'm not saying just because the iphone doesn't have it doesn't mean it's not refined or accepted lol.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    There is an entire sentence prior to my statement about people being upset so why take only last part that is qualified with an “of course” to complete my statement about what HD aspects this Zune will have to focus on? I never said they would be upset my HD radio I stated they would be upset with the title of HD when the built-in display is not HD. I think most people won’t even care about HD radio.





    Because maybe you need top learn to write in a clear manner- not ones that areopen to many interpretations that you can twist to your advantage like this one?

    Having said that- your comment is preposterous. People will know it's not the screen because you cannot advertise that, if it is false. Unlike "Twice as Fast".

    I think more people would care for HD radio than you think. In fact radio is a good idea- period.
Sign In or Register to comment.