Palm Pre syncs with iTunes on a Mac just like an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just to be pedantic...

To my knowledge Apple has never done this.

Although people always say stuff about Apple having chips in their stuff that make them purposely incompatible with other devices or software, or that they engineer their hardware to only work with certain things or to block other certain things, I can't think of a single verified example over the last ten or fifteen years when this has actually been true.

How about when they bricked jailbroken iPhones?
  • Reply 42 of 124
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

.... until the next updated version of iTunes is released.

but this is a dual edged sword. I assume a user would be perfectly capable of buying iTunes songs (new ones with no DRM) through his Mac (or PC?) and playing them on the Pre. That opens up a market for iTunes that does not exist. Would the ability to play iTunes songs drive someone's choice between a Pre and an iPhone? Maybe, but many Sprint customers may not want to go through the hassle of switching, and there are hardcore Palm fans. This opens up iTunes to them.
  • Reply 43 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just to be pedantic...

To my knowledge Apple has never done this.

I can?t speak for everyone in the first part of the thread but I was not aware Apple allowed this. I?d wager that others were in the same boat as me.
  • Reply 44 of 124
    striker_kkstriker_kk Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the i billion app store osx iphone/touch has no worries.

the headless media always stirs the pot .

When did they call it ibillion??
  • Reply 45 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Apple never directly bricked any iPhones, they simply updated their OS which made some foolish people who updated their jailbroken devices with the official OS build get inoperable devices. Every single one of those phones could enter DFU mode to get the official OS build in a restore or could from a properly jailbroken OS build.
  • Reply 46 of 124
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarleypeople View Post

OK, I can't let that slide. Lets break those down shall we?

1) Someone's obviously never owned a Windows Mobile PDA. I had a Windows Mobile 2003 PDA (with a very tasty 3.8" screen I might add). I've used tons of great apps on that, including fully featured office apps and I installed ScummVM WITHOUT HACKING. The majority of apps on the iPhone app store have cheaper/free equivalents on Windows Mobile. Although, my PDA died a month or so ago, so I'm currently surviving on carrying a laptop around >_<

Palm, on the other hand, is a bit hit/miss. I've never had much fun with Palm devices as they always felt too "business only".

2) Again, I believe Windows Mobile has very good SDKs, the latest SDK for Windows Mobile 6.1 included emulators for all variants of the OS, and they don't charge for it.

I've never heard of an SDK for Palm, so I can't comment here.

3) I'll agree here. Developers don't get 70/30 split with the device manufacturers. Instead developers get 100%. Oh dear, how can developers cope with such a small amount -_-

4) And you care about this why? WM and Palm apps are downloaded and installed by the user from across the internet after a quick trip to your search engine of choice. App stores generally complicate matters, especially for the developers who have to pay to get a listing on said app store when the app is free.

SO, lets fix your post shall we.

(in other news, when I was looking for a replacement for my broken PDA, i asked around about Palm and I was told they went bust so the announcement of the Pre was a bit of a surprise!)

Yeah, so Windows Mobile is the mobile OS that rules them all \
  • Reply 47 of 124
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

It lets you add native iTunes syncing for hardware devices. Many device plugins for older Creative players etc... are even bundled in the install of the current version.

These are the bundled plugins:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2172

Digital Players\tManufacturer\tConnection

iPod\tApple\tFireWire / USB

Nomad II\tCreative Labs\tUSB

RioVolt SP90\tSONICBlue/S3

As a manufacturer of Macs, it is best that your handheld work with a Mac (otherwise, you might buy a different computer). Thus, Apple supports these handhelds beyond iPods (and iPhone).

It's good to see that up to now, Apple is not limiting the Mac in order to protect its iPod and iPhone.
  • Reply 48 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

but this is a dual edged sword. I assume a user would be perfectly capable of buying iTunes songs (new ones with no DRM) through his Mac (or PC?) and playing them on the Pre. That opens up a market for iTunes that does not exist. Would the ability to play iTunes songs drive someone's choice between a Pre and an iPhone? Maybe, but many Sprint customers may not want to go through the hassle of switching, and there are hardcore Palm fans. This opens up iTunes to them.

But there's also a reason why Apple doesn't want OS X on PCs. They create excellent software to sell the hardware. By allowing others to access their software, they diminish their hardware market.

While opening up iTunes is a good idea for the CONSUMER, it is not in Apple's best interest to do so.

Also, by allowing other hardware to use iTunes, would Apple also have to provide support for non-Apple devices and make sure everything is compatible? Apple wants the user's experience to be as flawless as possible, by opening iTunes up to other hardware options they lose a lot of that control. If a user complains that iTunes isn't working perfectly with their Pre, it could be Apple that gets the bad press.
  • Reply 49 of 124
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Yeah, so Windows Mobile is the mobile OS that rules them all \

It's utterly amazing that's what you got from his statement.

Look at what he was replying to please. Someone who didn't know any better bundled anything not an iphone into one general group and ignorantly slammed them all. Bob was just using his WM device as an example as to why the statement was incorrect. He wasn't speaking about anything other than what he knew about, which is something a LOT of people around here should start doing.

Hey look, I'm gonna use a bunch of annoying emoticons to show you how bad of a post yours was \\
  • Reply 50 of 124
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

When did they call it ibillion??

i is nyc short hand for 1 or one
  • Reply 51 of 124
    m2002brianm2002brian Posts: 258member
    More music sales for Apple. I'm sure they won't complain.

For whoever thinks that googling for an app, and then having to download and install it, is better than the App Store, umm, well, most people like things simple. Most people who own an iPhone, iPod, Palm, or WinMO phone don't go on forums like this. They don't read much into what they own. Most people just want it to work, with easy access to content. That's why Apple is ahead in the game. So you can go download all the Palm apps you want, all the WinMo apps you want. If you can get my Mother to that, I'd pay you. Not everybody is as tech savvy as you'd like them to be.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

But there's also a reason why Apple doesn't want OS X on PCs. They create excellent software to sell the hardware. By allowing others to access their software, they diminish their hardware market.

While opening up iTunes is a good idea for the CONSUMER, it is not in Apple's best interest to do so.

Also, by allowing other hardware to use iTunes, would Apple also have to provide support for non-Apple devices and make sure everything is compatible? Apple wants the user's experience to be as flawless as possible, by opening iTunes up to other hardware options they lose a lot of that control. If a user complains that iTunes isn't working perfectly with their Pre, it could be Apple that gets the bad press.

bingo

Good read .Thats why apple breaks even or loses money on the itunes store. To sell hardware and to make there per song price so cheap, every one else will also lose money, if they dare to compete . And tied to OSX no one can compete.
  • Reply 53 of 124
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

you guys are fighting over stupid point's

idiots

Ahhh, irony.
  • Reply 54 of 124
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    I don't understand why anyone is buying this claim.

Do you guys really think Apple is slipping Palm Pre device icons into the iTunes.app resource folder? What the hell is going to show up on iTunes when it's plugged in?

The ONLY way this happens is if Apple is cooperating actively.

The Bold was supposed to have iTunes syncing but it just turned out to be a media-manager program that read the xml file.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    bartlebybartleby Posts: 5member
    It's easy for people to say that Apple shouldn't make an issue and let them jack into iTunes. But don't you'd think that RIM would be justified in suing somebody using Blackberry Desktop or Microsoft if someone was using ActiveSync without their permission?

If this is the big splash that the Pre is going to make, it is a sad day for Palm indeed.
  • Reply 56 of 124
    owlboyowlboy Posts: 37member
    Yeah, wake up. iTunes has supported non-iPod devices years and years. It is just up to the device's manufacturers to write the plugin. Apple won't block this, as long as it was not done in an unofficial way it should keep working after updates.

Hell, Microsoft could release a plugin for iTunes to sync with the Zune too! But they want you to use their software. This is true of a lot of the devices these days I bet. They have deals with software companies or own their own software they want you to use.

-Owl
  • Reply 57 of 124
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

Well, that's kind of a myth actually.

Apple announced very early on that because of the nature of the hacks into the firmware that updating the iPhone might cause some brickage. This was always pretty clear and straightforward and there is no reason to expect that this wouldn't happen anyway. To my knowledge, no one has ever proven or even got any information that would imply that Apple did this on purpose. Some updates did brick some hacked iPhones, some didn't. This is pretty much what you'd expect from the process itself and Occam's razor tells us that the most likely explanation for the brickage is exactly what Apple said it was (inadvertent firmware corruption as a result of the initial hacking).

I'm sure someone will come up with some example from somewhere anyway. My main point was just that there were about five or six posts in this thread alone that were implying that Apple would just "throw a switch" to block the Pre as if this was standard practice. It's not standard at all AFAIK and if Apple does do that, it will be an interesting and somewhat new development.

It's as if now that Apple is "winning" at computers, people now expect them to be evil and nasty simply because we are used to the companies that are on top (IBM, Microsoft, etc.) being bastards about everything. Apple is no saintly company, but they are not as actively "screw you" as the others.

IMO they (generally) play hardball, but in a (mostly) fair and non-evil way.
  • Reply 58 of 124
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Lots of non-iPod music players show up in the left-side Devices list (sometimes under the wrong game) and sync already--Apple's own doing. Apple doesn't seem to have been actively developing their 3rd-party device support (newer non-Apple players seem to work work, but only older players show the correct name) but neither have the removed it. Remember: iTunes existed before the iPod.

So the question is... sync what? If it's just music, that's already doable on various other devices.

Thanks. I literally just learned about this support for non-iPod mp3 players (though I knew iTunes came before the iPod).

How in the world did I not know about this until now!?
  • Reply 59 of 124
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

I'm all for competition in the mobile market....we all benefit....the Pre looks like a really nice device. The biggest problems for all other devices except for the iPhone are the following:

1. No great apps

2. Pathetic SDK

3. No 70/30 or similar split for developers.

4. Horrible App stores.

I have zero motivation to port my iPhone apps to the Pre or any other device for that matter. If these other mobile developers got a clue about creating all of the above listed items, you would see droves of iPhone developers porting apps...but they are all to busy trying to play "catch-up" with the new hardware.

People will get the Pre, much like the Storm and wonder, when are the 40,000 apps coming! Probably never. Sounds like a quick death for Pre if they want to truly compete with the iPhone. I was hoping Palm would have announced "Amazing SDK, Amazing App Store, Amazing Music/Video Store".....instead I hear....."Pre will sync with iTunes"...what an amazing let down.....LOL I want to shake hands with the President....LOL...I dont want to shake hands with a guy who shakes hands with the President.....get my drift?

This is the key point, most people miss about apple's strategy... it no different what apple had to put up through the 90's once develops defected to M$ from apple since they were not making money, there was nothing apple would do to lure them back. In this care the opposite is true. Many developer are happy with apples model , they make money,lots of money in many cases, and it does not require them to do much. Apple is doing most of the work. Plus they only have to support one platform so their service headaches are far less.

grant it Palm and RIM and M$ will attempt to get apps migrated to their platforms, but that will not happen unless it is as easy as it is with apple.
  • Reply 60 of 124
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can’t speak for everyone in the first part of the thread but I was not aware Apple allowed this. I’d wager that others were in the same boat as me.

Well I could be wrong too, that's why I prefaced it with the "to my knowledge" part.

I just don't like how so many people immediately assume that Apple will nefariously and maliciously cut this off at the knees based on no information at all. Apple is changing a lot lately, but historically, they have usually played well with others and not gone the proprietary "our way or the highway" that others in the business have.