Palm Pre syncs with iTunes on a Mac just like an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

I'm all for competition in the mobile market....we all benefit....the Pre looks like a really nice device. The biggest problems for all other devices except for the iPhone are the following:

1. No great apps

2. Pathetic SDK

3. No 70/30 or similar split for developers.

4. Horrible App stores.

I have zero motivation to port my iPhone apps to the Pre or any other device for that matter. If these other mobile developers got a clue about creating all of the above listed items, you would see droves of iPhone developers porting apps...but they are all to busy trying to play "catch-up" with the new hardware.

People will get the Pre, much like the Storm and wonder, when are the 40,000 apps coming! Probably never. Sounds like a quick death for Pre if they want to truly compete with the iPhone. I was hoping Palm would have announced "Amazing SDK, Amazing App Store, Amazing Music/Video Store".....instead I hear....."Pre will sync with iTunes"...what an amazing let down.....LOL I want to shake hands with the President....LOL...I dont want to shake hands with a guy who shakes hands with the President.....get my drift?

That is silly.

When iPhone hit the market, you didn't have 40000 apps ready - and it didn't stop people from buying iPhone.

People buy a phone for it's functionality (and in some cases, image).

People stay with a phone for additional features being offered down the timeline, namely new applications.

Of course that number of applications will help any phone's market position, but I don't think it is critical at the introduction point. And since Pre looks like very simple platform to program/port applications to, there is no reason to believe - at this point - that number of applications will not grow rapidly.

Additionally... you don't need quantity of applications to keep platform alive. You need quality. If numbers were that important, old Palm platform would be much stronger today. But no one care about 1000th version of alarm clock for Palm. And no one will buy iPhone for baby shaker.

And last, but not least... Palm does have number of followers. Sure people moved away from Palm as it was not really offering anything new for years, but many of us still have a warm spot in our hearts for good old Palm. I still have working Palm m100 somewhere in the house and still am using Tungsten E2 (mostly as ebook reader nowadays). My wife was very happy with her Treo 680 (even if it wasn't breathtaking product at all). Having company's BlackBerry on me all the time and just plain private Nokia phone at home, I resisted an urge to spend money on personal smartphone, but this Pre is the first device that is striking the right cords. New iPhone will likely be another one, but if it turns out to be just a refresh of existing iPhone, I'm pretty much sold to Pre (actually the other way around).

Would I be so enthusiastic about Pre if it was LG, or Samsung..? Probably not. Not logical; only human.
  • Reply 82 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Ahhh, irony.

Not just any irony.

iRony.

• Reply 83 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

That is silly.

When iPhone hit the market, you didn't have 40000 apps ready - and it didn't stop people from buying iPhone.

In Palm?s favour, The Pre will have 3rd-party apps straight from launch due to their webcode-based SDK.
  • Reply 84 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In Palm?s favour, The Pre will have 3rd-party apps straight from launch due to their webcode-based SDK.

Yes, I did mention Pre looks like simple platform to program/port... that helps.

Of course, Palm will need to sell number of phones before developers really get interested in that platform, but product looks more than good enough to achieve good initial numbers.
  • Reply 85 of 124
    tundrabuggytundrabuggy Posts: 131member
    Quote:

That is silly.

Not necessarily if you read other posts in this thread.

This is a valid point. Although the iPhone was innovative in all that it did..the Pre is just a knock-off like the Storm....a mere ride on Apple's innovation.

People stay with a phone for additional features being offered down the timeline, namely new applications.

These two comments are completely speculative and incorrect according to real data sets, but I respect your opinion on people's buying habits.

Of course that number of applications will help any phone's market position, but I don't think it is critical at the introduction point. And since Pre looks like very simple platform to program/port applications to, there is no reason to believe - at this point - that number of applications will not grow rapidly.

"Looks like a very simple..." If you are referring to their webcode-based SDK in comparison to the iPhone SDK....your on a different planet from a programmer's perspective.

Additionally... you don't need quantity of applications to keep platform alive. You need quality. If numbers were that important, old Palm platform would be much stronger today. But no one care about 1000th version of alarm clock for Palm. And no one will buy iPhone for baby shaker.

I agree.

And last, but not least... Palm does have number of followers. Sure people moved away from Palm as it was not really offering anything new for years, but many of us still have a warm spot in our hearts for good old Palm. I still have working Palm m100 somewhere in the house and still am using Tungsten E2 (mostly as ebook reader nowadays). My wife was very happy with her Treo 680 (even if it wasn't breathtaking product at all). Having company's BlackBerry on me all the time and just plain private Nokia phone at home, I resisted an urge to spend money on personal smartphone, but this Pre is the first device that is striking the right cords. New iPhone will likely be another one, but if it turns out to be just a refresh of existing iPhone, I'm pretty much sold to Pre (actually the other way around).

I loved my original Palm Pilot...I would love for the Pre to succeed....however, it is not worthy of an iPhone comparison....they should target the Storm. I'm not trying to imply that the iPhone is a superior product; without all of the "stuff" that makes the iPhone successful, the Pre is a great device all on its own in a class with the Blackberry Storm, or if compared to the iPhone....its just another poor imitation.

Would I be so enthusiastic about Pre if it was LG, or Samsung..? Probably not. Not logical; only human.

The Pre sounds like a great device if thats what your looking for; however, for the people who want the iPhone experience, the Pre is most certainly not the answer.
  • Reply 86 of 124
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

But you're talking about syncing for calendars, contacts etc no? Surely not music & iTS content?

Jimzip

Apple's third-party iTunes Device Plug-in SDK is for syncing Music and Movies that aren't protected by DRM.

The Palm Pre doesn't "sync" calendars or contacts with a computer at all. It is entirely cloud based.
  • Reply 87 of 124
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    I haven't read all of the posts, so maybe someone has already pointed this out.

Apple makes iTunes available for free on windows PCs. If they are willing to open it up to non Apple computers, why wouldn't they want to have non Apple music players and phones on it?

If the Pre were somehow able to use apps from the App store, I'd expect Apple to do something about it, but it seems like they have a track record of HELPING other platforms to access the iTunes music store.
  • Reply 88 of 124
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

It just works and other companies can make other elements of their technology work, but not as well as Apple.

Fanboy comment.

I watched all of the Pre's videos at the beginning of this year and liked what I saw. If this Pre syncs with OS X Mail and iCal I may give this some thought. The Blackberry Bold debuted in Japan's Docomo too. Looks sweet. Unfortunately as I posted in another thread they pulled Bold because it was overheating on their network. Both have qwerty which is a plus. I'm glad there will soon be good healthy competition.
  • Reply 89 of 124
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Fanboy comment.

I watched all of the Pre's videos at the beginning of this year and liked what I saw. If this Pre syncs with OS X Mail and iCal I may give this some thought. The Blackberry Bold debuted in Japan's Docomo too. Looks sweet. Unfortunately as I posted in another thread they pulled Bold because it was overheating on their network. Both have qwerty which is a plus. I'm glad there will soon be good healthy competition.

As has been mentioned, while iTunes can be used to manage media files, the Pre by design doesn't sync data via the desktop, it relies entirely on the cloud.

BTW, quite a bit more info from this interview at the D7 conference.

Apparently it will also sync with iPhoto.
  • Reply 90 of 124
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If Twitteriffic is buggy I don't blame Twitter. Provide an API, use it themselves, and let the iPod be the example, and proof it can work seamlessly

This is because you are probably smarter and more aware on technical matters than the average consumer.

Other People blame Microsoft for viruses and spyware, people blame Apple for Adobe's problems etc.
  • Reply 91 of 124
    bluenixbluenix Posts: 42member
    Quote:

That is silly.

People stay with a phone for additional features being offered down the timeline, namely new applications.....

VERY good point (best comment so far).

And I don't think letting the PRE sync with iTunes would do much harm to Apple. So what - more iTunes users can't be bad. Let them sync with iTunes and focus on the device.

iTunes is a VERY important part in the Apple strategy and the starting point for every switcher. Let the pre be a success and let Apple build better iPhones - then iTunes is the gate for Palm users to consider an iPhone. And with amazon-mp3 every attention that comes to iTunes is good for Apple.
  • Reply 92 of 124
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

This is because you are probably smarter and more aware on technical matters than the average consumer.

Other People blame Microsoft for viruses and spyware, people blame Apple for Adobe's problems etc.

So what would you suggest, they don't do it because they might be blamed in the wrong. Pull the other one mate.
  • Reply 93 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If Apple stop this then shame on them. I for one welcome this. Apple should provide an API for all music player makers, so they can have the iTunes experience, just like the iPod. Apple should compete by making the best product, not by tying everyone else off from iTunes. It's sometimes nice to be liked too. That in itself brings business and improves your company image. Even the Apple haters would congratulate Apple on this one, which would be a clever move.

Thats a bad thing though, look at windows media player supporting all them MP3's, its god awful.

Plus supporting the Pal Pre, is supporting a major competitor of the iphone, where apple would lose money as people could go "oh the pre has simple iTunes integration. Supporting too much hardware is bad business in my eye, I mean look at windows its so bloated with all different PC systems it has to run on,
  • Reply 94 of 124
    John Rubenstein is the CEO of Palm though now lol, he use to work for Apple, he might be using Apple's trade secretes.
  • Reply 95 of 124
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnerd93 View Post

Plus supporting the Pal Pre, is supporting a major competitor of the iphone, where apple would lose money as people could go "oh the pre has simple iTunes integration. Supporting too much hardware is bad business in my eye, I mean look at windows its so bloated with all different PC systems it has to run on,

Imagine if Windows ran an update which recognized Macs and locked them out. How would Apple windows users react? Such bullshit you have to cut through on here sometimes.
  • Reply 96 of 124
    When the iPhone launched, almost every mac user was eagerly waiting at every Apple store & other retailers. The Palm Pre, doesn't have any cult like devotion, the iPhone has been so successful for four main reasons

1. Amazing publicity at launch

2. Devoted customer's, (I'm one of them I have the 16GB White iPhone 3G)

3. The App store, we knew it would be coming, every mac user knew it lol

4. Amazing simplicity and everything just works perfect.
  • Reply 97 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Imagine if Windows ran an update which recognized Macs and locked them out. How would Apple windows users react? Such bullshit you have to cut through on here sometimes.

Yes, but what I'm saying is, look how bad windows is on all the hardware it has to run on. If Apple support the Palm Pre, it maybe okay at first, but then other people will want a bite of the Apple, making thousands of compatibility problems, everyone would then blame iTunes & apple would gain bad publicity. When infact it would be the 3rd party devices themselves

Your coment didn't make much sense really though, how could Microsoft make an update to lock out Macs?
  • Reply 98 of 124
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnerd93 View Post

Yes, but what I'm saying is, look how bad windows is on all the hardware it has to run on. If Apple support the Palm Pre, it maybe okay at first, but then other people will want a bite of the Apple, making thousands of compatibility problems, everyone would then blame iTunes & apple would gain bad publicity. When infact it would be the 3rd party devices themselves

Your coment didn't make much sense really though, how could Microsoft make an update to lock out Macs?

Anything is possible. And I was being hypothetical.

And I wasn't really pointing you out , my apology. It was reallydirected toward those stating that Apple should specifically block out the Pre with it's next iTunes release.
  • Reply 99 of 124
    Quote:

you don't have to be so rude, I'm correct supporting other devices would make iTunes bad. I don't think you understood my comment. I'll try it again in simple terms

Why would Apple want to support the Palm Pre?, it would be taking sales away from there product the iPhone. I was saying if iTunes did start to support other devices it would be swamped with problems, just like Microsoft windows running on so much different types of hardware, thats what causes the problems
  • Reply 100 of 124
    Quote:

And I wasn't really pointing you out , my apology. It was reallydirected toward those stating that Apple should specifically block out the Pre with it's next iTunes release.

oh okay, well it would be okay supporting one device, but you know whats coming. After one everyone is going to want to be able to do it.