A glimpse at Snow Leopard's more subtle refinements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 179
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I can already display the day of the week in the menu bar. All versions of OS X and most versions of Classic OS did that. The new feature would be displaying the date next to the time.

You can already do that in any version of OSX.

• Reply 22 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidCarnicelli View Post

No, there are no speckles in Leopard folders

Yes there are:

• Reply 23 of 179
    Hey everybody... inewton here... the user who posted the photos.

I don't want to draw too much attention to myself, but if anyone has any additional questions about this build I would be happy to answer them.

I can confirm that folders still appear to be "recycled" though. It's just those small icons don't have them. But if you blow them up to larger size they look the same as in Leopard.

Also, as far as speed goes, I would say that it certainly seems faster than Leopard, however it could just be that it's a fresh install and I'm noticing it more.

The OS is still pretty clearly not ready for prime time, though. There are some odd bugs here and there.

So... any more questions I can help answer before I get nailed by Apple?
  • Reply 24 of 179
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidCarnicelli View Post

No, there are no speckles in Leopard folders

I don't know about SL, but they are definitely speckled in Leopard. Just go to icon view and enlarge.

It gives folders that recycled paper effect. It isn't bad at all.
  • Reply 25 of 179
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It gives folders that recycled paper effect. It isn't bad at all.

Yes it is- it's frk'n ugly. Who wanted a recycled look- Al Gore?

The original aqua solid look of Jaguar's folder was gorgeous. Enough said.
  • Reply 26 of 179
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Yes there are:

[/URL]

Jake- have they changed them with SL?

Can you verify if they've stayed the same? Thanks,
  • Reply 27 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Jake- have they changed them with SL?

Can you verify if they've stayed the same? Thanks,

See here:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inewton1974 View Post

...I can confirm that folders still appear to be "recycled" though. It's just those small icons don't have them. But if you blow them up to larger size they look the same as in Leopard....

• Reply 28 of 179
    Quote:

I don't want to draw too much attention to myself, but if anyone has any additional questions about this build I would be happy to answer them.

I can confirm that folders still appear to be "recycled" though. It's just those small icons don't have them. But if you blow them up to larger size they look the same as in Leopard.

Also, as far as speed goes, I would say that it certainly seems faster than Leopard, however it could just be that it's a fresh install and I'm noticing it more.

The OS is still pretty clearly not ready for prime time, though. There are some odd bugs here and there.

Have there been any major changes in either iChat or Mail? or what about smaller apps like Textedit, calculator, or photobooth?
  • Reply 29 of 179
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Although I applaud the screen/audio record function of Snow Leopard, it won't most likely be available for copyrighted material.

I'm a believer in fair use, if you buy a movie you should be allowed to alter it and show others, long as your not denying the copyright holder of returns on their investment.

People have done some funny things, like this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5blbv4WFriM

So with that, if Apple denies copyright screen recording, then that delegates software like SnapzProX to being only needed for illegal purposes, instead of dual use (legal and illegal)

Sort of like a baseball bat, take away the game of baseball and the only thing a baseball bat is good for is no good. (why would you need such a heavy club for anyway? right?)

So I'm wondering now that Apple will be essentially controlling the screen/audio recording on OS X with their own product, will this open the door for the MIAA/RIAA to go after third party OS X companies that offer a total recording package?

Its like Apple is stepping into these grey areas in order to police things, deny cool third party companies a income source. First Time Machine to thwart people from cloning their boot drives (the best boot drive backup method), now screen/audio recording to thwart people from making funny alterations to popular videos.

Where will this slow creep of control end?

Grab already blocks out DVD Player, what makes you think that screen recording won't do the same? However, Apple can't make the silly assumption that content in QuickTime should be protected, since the standalone QuickTime Player refuses to play DRMed files.
  • Reply 30 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Have there been any major changes in either iChat or Mail? or what about smaller apps like Textedit, calculator, or photobooth?

Each of those that you mentioned do not have any functional changes that I can see in this build. Many preferences might have small wording changes or may have been re-arranged slightly, but the apps all function the same way.
  • Reply 31 of 179
    Wonder if QT Player, DVD Player, iTunes, and Front Row will see 64-bit updates.
  • Reply 32 of 179
    Also, I would like to point out that any major changes to end-user-facing apps are unlikely at this point, but if they are out there, they would be waiting to show those features off at WWDC anyway. Developer Previews generally only include changes to the core of the OS or features that developers need to know about to get their apps to work with the new OS version. This has been true for the past several versions of OS X.

However, I do expect to see Snow Leopard include a major update to the OS X interface. The entire OS interface will look roughly the same, but window styles, etc. will be similar to the new interface in QuickTime X from what I'm hearing - a strong emphasis on black, glossy, transparency, and HUD styles. This is the "Marble" interface we have heard so much about. I also expect this to be revealed at WWDC.
  • Reply 33 of 179
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Why waste time with that? Do you really need 64-bit versions of TextEdit, Address Book, Calculator, etc?

I would like to have seem iTunes go 64-bit. I get the feeling that iTunes hasn't been touched and it's just getting more bloated with every release. iTunes going Cocoa should have been one of the first things that they should have done along with the Finder.
  • Reply 34 of 179
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

Is it still certain that SL will be Intel only?
  • Reply 35 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Is it still certain that SL will be Intel only?

The Developer Preview builds are only installable on Intel machines. I expect this to be true for the final build as well. I think Snow Leopard is Apple's line in the sand.
  • Reply 36 of 179
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

The Developer Preview builds are only installable on Intel machines. I expect this to be true for the final build as well. I think Snow Leopard is Apple's line in the sand.

Thanks, that's what I thought.
  • Reply 37 of 179
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

No, you don't. Tried using spring loaded folders?

That works with moving/copying one file or a single group from one folder to another.

If I want to move files from multiple source files to one destination, or one source to multiple destinations, the split Finder idea is far superior.

Also, the usability is better. Moving/copying with spring-loaded folders does require a certain amount of manual dexterity to drill to the right folders.
  • Reply 38 of 179
    zorgonzorgon Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Londor View Post

You can already do that in any version of OSX.

Sure, if you fiddle around with the correct settings on the International preference pane, copying and pasting from the custom date dialog to the custom time dialog. Brilliant! The point is, in Snow Leopard, it's now a simple, visible control located where it ought to be -- in the Date/Time preference pane.

Here's a poorly-written but essentially correct article that explains how to do it in Leopard: http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-t...bar-316029.php
  • Reply 39 of 179
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

what will happen to quick time player ??
  • Reply 40 of 179
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The split terminal reminds me of a feature I have been wanting for a long time: the split Finder Window.

Whenever I want to move files, I have to open up a second Finder window and navigate to the destination folder. I have to position this window carefully so I can see the file in the first window I want to move/copy.

It would be so cool if you can split one Finder window into an upper and lower pane where each pane is individually navigable. (It could be left/right in icon view, if the user prefers).

I'm hoping Snow Leopard will let you decide what columns are available for viewing when Spotlight results are shown. For instance, I like to look at file sizes to see which movies are in the large format and which are compressed, smaller ones.

I'll second that