A glimpse at Snow Leopard's more subtle refinements

Comments

• Reply 61 of 179
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Shut up or write your own icon theme.

Excuse me? You STFU. I shouldn't have to. Ugly is ugly.
  • Reply 62 of 179
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    @inewton1974

Welcome to the boards.

I've seen data detectors demonstrated in video leaks of previous builds, performed in TextEdit. Is this a universal feature that works in all apps? Does it, for instance, work in Safari?

On QuickTime X, I'm wondering about QT videos opened in Safari. Currently, in Safari 4 in Leopard, if a QT video is opened in its own window (this can be done by dragging a .MOV or I think, a .m4v file into a blank Safari window), the controls disappear and reappear when moused over, but the playback UI is the standard looking one used on Apple's movie trailer website, for instance. In SL, has these controls been updated to QuickTime X's iTunes-influenced UI?

Thanks
  • Reply 63 of 179
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

As alternative you could use spring loaded folders (select your files and drag them as a group to the home folder or drive etc and hover over until the folder is opened etc).

See my post #38, my response to Zandros.

Quote:

Alternatively, you could open two finder windows, select your files in first, start dragging, hit expose button to reveal second finder window, move your mouse over it and hit expose again to bring it to the foreground. If you have your side mouse buttons set to activate expose you can do all this with the mouse only.

That is what I DO do, except without the Expose trickery. I do it often enough that I would like to see a good solution built in to Finder.

Quote:

Or, third alternative, launch the terminal and do it like the grown ups do with the cp, or mv command .

One of OS X's fundamental aims was to never require a normal user to use the Terminal.
  • Reply 64 of 179
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Am I the only one who thinks that current folder look with speckles looks pretty good and modern?
  • Reply 65 of 179
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The split terminal reminds me of a feature I have been wanting for a long time: the split Finder Window.

Whenever I want to move files, I have to open up a second Finder window and navigate to the destination folder. I have to position this window carefully so I can see the file in the first window I want to move/copy.

It would be so cool if you can split one Finder window into an upper and lower pane where each pane is individually navigable. (It could be left/right in icon view, if the user prefers).

I'm hoping Snow Leopard will let you decide what columns are available for viewing when Spotlight results are shown. For instance, I like to look at file sizes to see which movies are in the large format and which are compressed, smaller ones.

This is so obvious I wish I had thought of it, better let's hope the folks at Apple think of it for Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 66 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Am I the only one who thinks that current folder look with speckles looks pretty good and modern?

No. The old style translucent folders were ugly. They also didn't go with any other system icons (like mounted drives) because they were angled.

I much prefer the far more realistic looking, un-angled, speckled, subdued look of Leopard's folders, especially the ones with subtle imprints, like the Downloads folder in my Dock.
  • Reply 67 of 179
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Since these are all small features, I'd like to see a small addition. When I hold down one of the special keys ( fn, ctrl, alt, cmd ), I'd like a semi-transparent hud display of the keyboard to fade in, with the name of any special functions displayed on the key. I shouldn't have to guess what keys may be active or go searching the help.
  • Reply 68 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

@inewton1974

Welcome to the boards.

I've seen data detectors demonstrated in video leaks of previous builds, performed in TextEdit. Is this a universal feature that works in all apps? Does it, for instance, work in Safari?

On QuickTime X, I'm wondering about QT videos opened in Safari. Currently, in Safari 4 in Leopard, if a QT video is opened in its own window (this can be done by dragging a .MOV or I think, a .m4v file into a blank Safari window), the controls disappear and reappear when moused over, but the playback UI is the standard looking one used on Apple's movie trailer website, for instance. In SL, has these controls been updated to QuickTime X's iTunes-influenced UI?

Thanks

No, data detectors appears to be simply a new feature of TextEdit. There's a checkbox within the app to turn it on or off. On top of that, it doesn't work very well. \

As far as QuickTime X movies in Safari... well, I can't answer that, because in this build (or at least on my install), a QT video opened in its own window or tab does not display properly. However, the standard controller bar does appear, so this has not been changed yet, though I expect it will be more similar to the standalone QuickTime X in the final build.
  • Reply 69 of 179
    mtomto Posts: 16member
    FUNK! Apple you stopped making the clear plastic colored computers years ago! Update your freaking UI!! Aqua is old, out of date! I mean are you kidding me? Do you make any hardware that remotely matches the clear colored buttons on your finder boxes? Or the status bar for operations and progress? The iPhone has no problem looking modern and up to date. Is it that hard to draw a couple new animations and buttons out? It's really only a couple changes to the close/minimize/hide to the radial buttons/check boxes and tabs.. Yes it's a couple little things but how long can you go without modernizing them?

I always thought the three dots on the top left of windows would look cool if they matched the power buttons on the late model MacBook Pro and Mac Pro but hell those are already being phased out to not shine like a compact disk for a plain metal surface.

Small gripe, sorry but it's time!
  • Reply 70 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inewton1974 View Post

No, data detectors appears to be simply a new feature of TextEdit. There's a checkbox within the app to turn it on or off. On top of that, it doesn't work very well. \

Well, I'll cross my fingers that's part of the near final build Apple is set to unveil at WWDC. Considering Apple just promised data detectors were coming in MobileSafari as part of the 3.0 update, I would be surprised if we didn't see them in the desktop build bundled with SL.

Quote:

As far as QuickTime X movies in Safari... well, I can't answer that, because in this build (or at least on my install), a QT video opened in its own window or tab does not display properly. However, the standard controller bar does appear, so this has not been changed yet, though I expect it will be more similar to the standalone QuickTime X in the final build.

Ah I see. But I agree with your assertions. They'll almost certainly strip out all remnants of Aqua, which I think those playback controls are. It only makes sense to extend QTX's look into the browser.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 71 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

FUNK! Apple you stopped making the clear plastic colored computers years ago! Update your freaking UI!! Aqua is old, out of date! I mean are you kidding me? Do you make any hardware that remotely matches the clear colored buttons on your finder boxes? Or the status bar for operations and progress? The iPhone has no problem looking modern and up to date. Is it that hard to draw a couple new animations and buttons out? It's really only a couple changes to the close/minimize/hide to the radial buttons/check boxes and tabs.. Yes it's a couple little things but how long can you go without modernizing them?

I always thought the three dots on the top left of windows would look cool if they matched the power buttons on the late model MacBook Pro and Mac Pro but hell those are already being phased out to not shine like a compact disk for a plain metal surface.

Small gripe, sorry but it's time!

Whoa, calm down there. Like I have said in previous posts in this discussion, major UI changes are extremely likely but are just not included in the developer previews yet. I expect the so-called "Marble" UI to be shown off at WWDC. It will be black, glossy, glass-like in places... somewhat similar to Windows Vista/7 but also taking some design cues from the iPhone OS. They just wanted to be able to control when they showed it off. The Leopard developer previews looked just like Tiger until only a few months before the final Leopard build actually got released. The same is likely happening here.

---

Also, another small UI/eye candy thing I just noticed... when you move a file from one place to another, it quickly fades out of the old location and fades into the new location. Just like the icons sliding into place rather than just appearing, this is a nice touch to the UI.
  • Reply 72 of 179
    Edit: inewton1974 beat me to responding to MTO.
  • Reply 73 of 179
    Quote:

Also, another small UI/eye candy thing I just noticed... when you move a file from one place to another, it quickly fades out of the old location and fades into the new location. Just like the icons sliding into place rather than just appearing, this is a nice touch to the UI.

Would you say it's akin to the effect of moving a file from a Stack in the Dock to the Trash in Leopard?

I also noticed in a previous build in a video leak that when clicking the little button in the upper right-hand corner of a Finder window, the window changes with a transition, rather than jumping to it as in Leopard.
  • Reply 74 of 179
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    I'm not sure I like the way the Finder color-labels now cover up the names of disks/files/folders they're applied to.
  • Reply 75 of 179
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Time Zone preferences have also seen an overhaul. Each time zone is highlighted as a user moves their mouse cursor across the map. And as previously note, users will have the option to have their time zone updated automatically with help of Snow Leopard's new Core Location framework.

I hope the next notebooks get a GPS chip. So much potential if they do.

Quote:

Below is a capture of QuickTime X Player's HUDless movie playback presentation:

So far the screen recording is quite unimpressive. Other apps allow for much more activity while recording, though QT X wasn?t even stable until the latest build of SL.

Quote:

In Snow Leopard, Software Update's "Installed Updates" tab has been renamed "Installed Software," possibly foreshadowing a move by Apple to provide new software downloads via the built-in mechanism rather than just updates:

I hope that is true, but I?m guessing the name change is due to SL not including printer drivers any more, instead doing on-demand installs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

All very interesting. I still want to feel how fast Snow Leopard actually runs on my first gen Mac Pro though. Any chance of notable improvement?

So far the benchmarks are good for a beta.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I'm surprised that so few apps look like they are 64-bit at this point. You'd think most of the apps would have been updated by now.

Of the Applications, Extensions and Frameworks, most have been updated to 64-bit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Doubtful and unnecessary. Drag the App to the trash and it is uninstalled. If you want to go further, go to your Library folder and trash the pref files in Preferences and Application Support (if any present). You don't need an uninstaller like Windows does.

I disagree. Having to direct a user where to go to delete every part of an app is not very Mac-like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes ...actually you do. Loading 32-bit apps in an otherwise 64-bit system means that you now need to load all 32-bit framework stacks. It's just easier to compile even the smallest app for 64-bit and keep your system clean.

As an example, when you access System Preferences it loads the 64-bit version, but when click Growl or Perian it asks you if you want to restart it. When you click Ok it opens it up again immediately but with (32-bit mode) appended to the end of the title bar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

But that is still just speculation. I assume there's still no new info saying for sure that it's intel only?

There is a lot Apple doesn?t say that we can infer. This far into the development cycle Apple would likely have to be using developers to test their PPC code.
  • Reply 76 of 179
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    Quote:

For instance, you could set your screen to dim after 10 minutes of inactivity but not lock down the system and require a password prompt for 45 minutes. In current versions of the Mac OS, there's no separation of these features.

Not exactly correct. In Leopard, you can't set the interval, but there is a short delay between when the screen saver activates, and when the password is required to unlock it (if you have that enabled). Next time you see your screen saver start (or you can just start it immediately with a hot corner), immediately move your mouse and you will not be prompted for a password. Not sure exactly how long it is (probably 30-60 seconds at the most), but there's already some "grace period" between the two events.
  • Reply 77 of 179
    mshockmshock Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Hey everybody... inewton here... the user who posted the photos.

I don't want to draw too much attention to myself, but if anyone has any additional questions about this build I would be happy to answer them.

I can confirm that folders still appear to be "recycled" though. It's just those small icons don't have them. But if you blow them up to larger size they look the same as in Leopard.

Also, as far as speed goes, I would say that it certainly seems faster than Leopard, however it could just be that it's a fresh install and I'm noticing it more.

The OS is still pretty clearly not ready for prime time, though. There are some odd bugs here and there.

So... any more questions I can help answer before I get nailed by Apple?

Any news on ZFS?
  • Reply 78 of 179
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MShock View Post

Any news on ZFS?

It’s not even an option in the consumer version of OS X in Disk Utility.
  • Reply 79 of 179
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes I know Grab blocks out DVD Player, so it's just logical to assume Snow Leopards Screen/Audio Record will do the same, for any MIAA/RIAA content.

Question is where does this put third party products that do it all, can record anything?

It puts them (and it's users) squarely in the legal bullseye of the MIAA/RIAA since these "record it all" third party recorders products only function will be (what the MIAA/RIAA determines to be) illegal copying.

Get what I'm trying to convey here?

Why would you need a third party recorder when Apple provides a free one unless your up to no good?

Suppose i own 200 legally bought dvd's . And i want to put them on my hard drive . Only on hard drives i own .

can i do that .
  • Reply 80 of 179
    mshockmshock Posts: 21member
    i presume you mean in the consumer sl os x?