A glimpse at Snow Leopard's more subtle refinements

Comments

• Reply 81 of 179
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

The "Installed Software" might also be a hint at some sort of uninstaller built into OS X?

I'd go even further - what about some kind of App Store for OS X? You would browse all the apps available for OS X, free apps as well as paid apps, if youlike one, you click on it, you pay via iTunes, it's downloaded to your computer and installed automatically. Would be a great thing imho.

One thing I'm really missing: Today I added some new photos to iPhoto and added the names of my friends, when I found out that iPhoto now automatically suggests people in my address book when I start typing a name. I hoped that when I assign a name in my address book to one of the faces in my photos, that this face would automatically be added as a photo to the contact in address book, but this didn't happen. This would be a great time saver! When you add photos to your contacts, you can browse the iPhoto library, but not the Faces section, only the Events section. This is annoying.
  • Reply 82 of 179
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Doubtful and unnecessary. Drag the App to the trash and it is uninstalled. If you want to go further, go to your Library folder and trash the pref files in Preferences and Application Support (if any present). You don't need an uninstaller like Windows does.

Not unnecessary for those who don't want to go to their library folder and trash pref files scattered about in two subdirectories. I personally would love to see an uninstaller,
  • Reply 83 of 179
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

FUNK! Apple you stopped making the clear plastic colored computers years ago! Update your freaking UI!! Aqua is old, out of date! I mean are you kidding me? Do you make any hardware that remotely matches the clear colored buttons on your finder boxes? Or the status bar for operations and progress? The iPhone has no problem looking modern and up to date. Is it that hard to draw a couple new animations and buttons out? It's really only a couple changes to the close/minimize/hide to the radial buttons/check boxes and tabs.. Yes it's a couple little things but how long can you go without modernizing them?

I always thought the three dots on the top left of windows would look cool if they matched the power buttons on the late model MacBook Pro and Mac Pro but hell those are already being phased out to not shine like a compact disk for a plain metal surface.

Small gripe, sorry but it's time!

You are so right. Recycled speckled folders were a change for the better?
  • Reply 84 of 179
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Dear Job,

Please give me resize handles on both left and right sides of windows, as if usability were a consideration.

Amen.
  • Reply 85 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Would you say it's akin to the effect of moving a file from a Stack in the Dock to the Trash in Leopard?

I also noticed in a previous build in a video leak that when clicking the little button in the upper right-hand corner of a Finder window, the window changes with a transition, rather than jumping to it as in Leopard.

No, not really. Just a simple fade away. And I just noticed the transition of the Finder windows. It looks like it could be nice, but on this old MacBook I'm running the build on, it's pretty jerky.

As for ZFS, it's not an option for formatting a drive. I would assume that it's no different than Leopard as regards ZFS.
  • Reply 86 of 179
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Dear Job,

Please give me resize handles on both left and right sides of windows, as if usability were a consideration.

Amen.

Getting Biblical on us I see.
  • Reply 87 of 179
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Awesome stuff inewton, getting into some of the details that interest and are important to a lot of us ... the stuff that seems determined not to leak usually ><.

Awesome job on answering questions too! Hopefully you can go a few more:

1. Does the iTunes dashboard widget work? In Leopard you have never been able to select a playlist from the flip side of it - the drop box is there but refuses to activate. The widget also crashes pretty reliably. While there, any other changes to Dashboard?

2. I note QuickTime prefs are gone from System Preferences! They've always been pretty arcane - are the same settings accessible from within QT Player now? Personally I wonder why they persist in calling it 'Player'.

3. In Finder, if you change the toolbar to 'text only' does it still only say 'Back' for the 'Back/Forward' command?

4. I like the look of the new Time Zones prefs map - does it perchance know more cities now? If you select over by New Zealand, does it finally know Auckland as well as Wellington? Hopefully this would be true of the dashboard clock as well.

5. Anything new in open/save dialogs? The ability to 'view by kind' would be really nice - imo it would be the most likely desirable sort for navigating in those.

That'll do for now .

I really like the recycled paper look of Leopard folders, especially vis Ã* vis the earlier OS X icons with the old pinstripes. The recycled look is at least in line with Apple's attitude towards 'green' machines.

I don't have many issues with the current Aqua. Something changing with scrollbars would be interesting - some sort of consistency! If they go hidden & transparent like on the iPhone, the implementation needs to be a lot better. Scrolling to the bottom of a page on the iPhone can be truly painful. What I really hope doesn't happen is 'evolution' in the direction of Safari 4's interface .

I agree that Finder needs work in the area of moving files.
  • Reply 88 of 179
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Fascinating.

Keep up the transition to a full 64 bit operating system. Chase the nasty bugs, old and new!

• Reply 89 of 179
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    more thorough answers below
  • Reply 90 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

Awesome stuff inewton, getting into some of the details that interest and are important to a lot of us ... the stuff that seems determined not to leak usually ><.

Awesome job on answering questions too! Hopefully you can go a few more:

1. Does the iTunes dashboard widget work? In Leopard you have never been able to select a playlist from the flip side of it - the drop box is there but refuses to activate. The widget also crashes pretty reliably. While there, any other changes to Dashboard?

2. I note QuickTime prefs are gone from System Preferences! They've always been pretty arcane - are the same settings accessible from within QT Player now? Personally I wonder why they persist in calling it 'Player'.

3. In Finder, if you change the toolbar to 'text only' does it still only say 'Back' for the 'Back/Forward' command?

4. I like the look of the new Time Zones prefs map - does it perchance know more cities now? If you select over by New Zealand, does it finally know Auckland as well as Wellington? Hopefully this would be true of the dashboard clock as well.

5. Anything new in open/save dialogs? The ability to 'view by kind' would be really nice - imo it would be the most likely desirable sort for navigating in those.

That'll do for now .

I really like the recycled paper look of Leopard folders, especially vis Ã* vis the earlier OS X icons with the old pinstripes. The recycled look is at least in line with Apple's attitude towards 'green' machines.

I don't have many issues with the current Aqua. Something changing with scrollbars would be interesting - some sort of consistency! If they go hidden & transparent like on the iPhone, the implementation needs to be a lot better. Scrolling to the bottom of a page on the iPhone can be truly painful. What I really hope doesn't happen is 'evolution' in the direction of Safari 4's interface .

1. No changes to Dashboard that I can see. The iTunes widget is still broken as you describe. Bummer.

2. There are no preferences for the QuickTime Player application. I doubt there will be in the final build.

3. Yes, it still just says "Back." I actually never noticed this before... odd behavior.

4. Actually, yes! Thank you for getting me to check that. What happens is that you can click in any time zone (zones are highlighted as you hover over them). Once you select one, you can pick your closest city from the dropdown. It looks like many more cities have been added. You can also just start typing a city name in that box and you get a really cool interface where the world map goes dark and the city you're typing lights up. It looks pretty neat, I'll have to upload a shot of that.

5. Nothing new except that Quick Look now works in them... which is a huge improvement, in my opinion.
  • Reply 91 of 179
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

I'd go even further - what about some kind of App Store for OS X? You would browse all the apps available for OS X, free apps as well as paid apps, if youlike one, you click on it, you pay via iTunes, it's downloaded to your computer and installed automatically. Would be a great thing imho.

Well, I've already said this in the past but they already have the groundwork for a Mac App Store here:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/

Just put a pretty face on it within the iTunes App Store. I'm not sure if they'd screen Mac apps like they have iPhone apps. They could do it more like iTunes' podcast directory where the content, while visible in iTunes, is actually stored on the podcaster's server.

This would be a nice alternative to downloading apps from the web, though you would still have the freedom to go that route as well. While they've stressed that SL won't ship with any "new features", this wouldn't qualify as a feature in the traditional sense.

Separately, I wonder if another UI change we'll see is predictive text. Yes, we have auto-correct and grammar now, but what about a menu that comes up as you type, essentially modeled off the iPhone's system? Use arrow keys to pick the right word (basically like the ctrl-clicking menu), then hit space to select the desired word.
  • Reply 92 of 179
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They've finally got rid of the FUGLY recycled paper folders of Leopard and have gone back to their Jaguar transluscent roots. Thank you , thank you.

Many may think these look like Vista but we are back to the jellies.

They're still pretty ugly to me - the color is not great, and I wish they'd go back to angled folders (like Tiger) instead of flat ones (they wouldn't have to be as bright as Tiger folders).
  • Reply 93 of 179
    bruce youngbruce young Posts: 188member
    THx inewton.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Finder also present an slider control for resizing icons in the lower right-hand corner of windows displayed in icon mode, as can be seen in the first screenshot below.

Do you know if we will finally be able to make the icon SPACING closer (like it was back in olden os 9 days)?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

I second the request (to Apple) to allow window resizing from more than lower-right corner.

If they put it on left and right, they could even call them "love-handles" (TM)

And I tend to agree with the comment that recent (Leo+) folders are too same looking. When i look at a GUI with icon-ized folders, I like it to be easy to distinguish the difference, as back in Jag/Panther/Tiger days. Update them, sure, fine - but let them be easy to tell apart from each other (I do find I have to stare/squint sometimes to tell which pale-blue folder icon is which).
  • Reply 94 of 179
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For instance, you could set your screen to dim after 10 minutes of inactivity but not lock down the system and require a password prompt for 45 minutes. In current versions of the Mac OS, there's no separation of these features.

I don't understand this statement - In Tiger's Energy Saver Preference I can set the screen to dim in 10 minutes, and the computer to sleep in 45 minutes. Since I have it set to require a password to wake from sleep, it does exactly what the article says you can't do. Is this different in Leopard?
  • Reply 95 of 179
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Suppose i own 200 legally bought dvd's . And i want to put them on my hard drive . Only on hard drives i own .

can i do that .

yes, yes you can. just not entirely legally.
  • Reply 96 of 179
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    I use Clean App for deleting apps. When you drop something in the trash Clean App opens and shows all the associated files and folders and gives you the option to delete everything. You would be surprised how many apps have alot more than just .plists. This really should be built into the OS. It's not anywhere near as bad as Windows with a zillion registry entires but it's not as clean and simple as Apple says it is either.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Doubtful and unnecessary. Drag the App to the trash and it is uninstalled. If you want to go further, go to your Library folder and trash the pref files in Preferences and Application Support (if any present). You don't need an uninstaller like Windows does.

• Reply 97 of 179
    The law has been interpreted in multiple court cases to say you can make backup copies for your own use. The RIAA says differently even though they won't come right out and say it. So it is legal but the RIAA wants you to be unsure about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

yes, yes you can. just not entirely legally.

• Reply 98 of 179
    bruce youngbruce young Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

Major Ditto, hence the value of an app like Cocoatech Path Finder.

I find I do a lot of file management, moving, copying, etc and the Finder is just rather clumsy at that.

And even though I have previously spent some years on DOS, VMS, HPUX, and similar CLI, I'd rather not open a terminal window when I am in a GUI OS.

Tabs would be nice.

And a reliable Finder-based file copy-paste and cut-paste would be great.

(at least, the last times I had tried that methodology it was not reliable... or was I using a contextmenu add-on?... now I don't remember, as I gave up on it, and just use window moving method as macFanDave said).
  • Reply 99 of 179
    We are a long way from the final build and UI changes of this nature are held to the end so don;'t assume too much from these screenshots.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

FUNK! Apple you stopped making the clear plastic colored computers years ago! Update your freaking UI!! Aqua is old, out of date! I mean are you kidding me? Do you make any hardware that remotely matches the clear colored buttons on your finder boxes? Or the status bar for operations and progress? The iPhone has no problem looking modern and up to date. Is it that hard to draw a couple new animations and buttons out? It's really only a couple changes to the close/minimize/hide to the radial buttons/check boxes and tabs.. Yes it's a couple little things but how long can you go without modernizing them?

I always thought the three dots on the top left of windows would look cool if they matched the power buttons on the late model MacBook Pro and Mac Pro but hell those are already being phased out to not shine like a compact disk for a plain metal surface.

Small gripe, sorry but it's time!

• Reply 100 of 179
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snookie View Post

I use Clean App for deleting apps. When you drop something in the trash Clean App opens and shows all the associated files and folders and gives you the option to delete everything. You would be surprised how many apps have alot more than just .plists. This really should be built into the OS. It's not anywhere near as bad as Windows with a zillion registry entires but it's not as clean and simple as Apple says it is either.

Totally agree with your comment above in bold. OSX should be app-aware, properly uninstalling all pieces of apps. Ditto re excluding from time machine etc. It is just not enough to treat apps as if they were just a bunch of files lying around.