5th Avenue store brings Apple $440 million per year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I have been to that store numerous times. I agree with you. While it is busier every time I visit, I just have a hard time believing they move that much product to walk-ins every year.

Perhaps a huge chunk of it is corporate sales which are funneled through stores that are closest.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Wouldn't you love Apple to challenge Microsoft to set up a store next door? Then, after a year compare sales. Loser gets out of the business.

On the other hand, Microsoft's new low balling commercials might make it a fairer fight if they set up competing mini stores in a Pic 'N Save or local swap meet.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Wouldn't you love Apple to challenge Microsoft to set up a store next door? Then, after a year compare sales. Loser gets out of the business.

On the other hand, Microsoft's new low balling commercials might make it a fairer fight if they set up competing mini stores in a Pic 'N Save or local swap meet.

Microsoft has 90% Market Share. They don't need to do anything but let Apple pay a million in rent a month for show. Actually it's only 4 million for the year if NYT is right but Microsoft doesn't need a Rolex Show Piece to keep that Market Share.

Apple will never compete in the business arena which leaves Mac sales that are losing money and iPhones & iPods to make money.

It's no wonder they're charging a hundred bucks for "one on one time". I'd say it's more like how can we bleed more money out of fools that pay $3000 for a laptop with an Apple on it.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    I call B.S. $440M is a little high. Apple only has a few products. After a couple years at this rate everyone in NYC would own at least 1 Apple product.

I think $44 million is probably what it should read.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan View Post

...which leaves Mac sales that are losing money...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clexman View Post

I call B.S. $440M is a little high. Apple only has a few products. After a couple years at this rate everyone in NYC would own at least 1 Apple product.

I think $44 million is probably what it should read.

$44M does seem low for that store, but $440 does seem quite high. If we use their previous quarter retail revenue as a base and then multiply by 4 we get $5.884B, which is a 15% decline from a year ago last quarter. That figure also doesn?t account for their much busier holiday quarter, though new Macs do tend to come out during the quarter calculated. Regardless, we?re only talking 7% for that particular store without knowing the exact year of figures that is being used, which would most likely make the percentage lower. Considering that the store is in a prime area of NYC and opened 24 hours the article does ring true. Still, I?d like to get more detailed data.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

$44M does seem low for that store, but $440 does seem quite high. If we use their previous quarter retail revenue as a base and then multiply by 4 we get $5.884B, which is a 15% decline from a year ago last quarter. That figure also doesn’t account for their much busier holiday quarter, though new Macs do tend to come out during the quarter calculated. Regardless, we’re only talking 7% for that particular store without knowing the exact year of figures that is being used, which would most likely make the percentage lower. Considering that the store is in a prime area of NYC and opened 24 hours the article does ring true. Still, I’d like to get more detailed data.

As usual you are WRONG.

Apple Beats Estimates, But Mac Sales Decline

"But even Apple isn’t escaping the slowing economy entirely unscathed. While iPod sales managed to eke out a growth rate of 3% over the year-ago quarter, for a total of 11 million units, and iPhone sales grew by 123% year-over-year to 3.79 million units, sales of Apple’s Macintosh personal computers declined by 3% from the year-ago period."

At least give backup for your BS numbers. You are wrong and give bad numbers 80% of the time.

Link to backup quote.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...beats_est.html
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Quote:

Perhaps a huge chunk of it is corporate sales which are funneled through stores that are closest.

That would be illegal, corporate sales are handled by a different division than an Apple Store and both divisions report their numbers separately.

You are wrong again.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:

As usual you are WRONG.

Apple Beats Estimates, But Mac Sales Decline

"But even Apple isn?t escaping the slowing economy entirely unscathed. While iPod sales managed to eke out a growth rate of 3% over the year-ago quarter, for a total of 11 million units, and iPhone sales grew by 123% year-over-year to 3.79 million units, sales of Apple?s Macintosh personal computers declined by 3% from the year-ago period."

At least give backup for your BS numbers. You are wrong and give bad numbers 80% of the time.

Link to backup quote.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...beats_est.html

For once it would be great for you to drop the Teckstudian doublespeak and irrational nonsense. ?Mac sales losing money? does not equal a slight decline in year-over-year quarterly sales. Apple made ?not lost? $1.05B selling Macs last quarter. Simply amazing that you can be a real person. I wonder if your attendant knows you?re using a computer.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Apartments near the midtown store cost millions and the waldorf Astoria is a minute away. A one bedroom apartment near the soho store will cost $2500 a month

A STUDIO apartment would cost that much in SoHo. If you could even find one. Midtown, same story.

$440 million, gross, really seems impossible when you break it down per day. Considering it's the NY Post, I wouldn't be surprised if someone mis-placed a decimal.

All those European tourists in that store (and a handful of U.S. tourists) - if you have a look, the majority of them are checking e-mail, googling "nyc nightlife" and otherwise using the store as an internet cafe.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:

For once it would be great for you to drop the Teckstudian doublespeak and irrational nonsense. ?Mac sales losing money? does not equal a slight decline in year-over-year quarterly sales. Apple made ?not lost? $1.05B selling Macs last quarter. Simply amazing that you can be a real person. I wonder if your attendant knows you?re using a computer.

Once again your stupidity out weighs your intellect.

Apple Mac sales made money but lost Market Share.

"sales of Apple?s Macintosh personal computers declined by 3% from the year-ago period."

I wouldn't call that a win for Apple. They are betting all on the iPhone & 3.0 isn't looking to be the 4th and 1 call that Apple needs and OSX is Snow Kitty in comparison to the touch OS that Win 07 is.

Now give me your normal 200 lines of BS that make it all better and go to bed feeling good about yourself.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

Apple Mac sales made money but lost Market Share.

"sales of Apple?s Macintosh personal computers declined by 3% from the year-ago period."

I wouldn't call that a win for Apple. They are betting all on the iPhone & 3.0 isn't looking to be the 4th and 1 call that Apple needs and OSX is Snow Kitty in comparison to the touch OS that Win 07 is.

Now give me your normal 200 lines of BS that make it all better and go to bed feeling good about yourself.

Ok we get it Apple is dying, now get lost.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

The irony is there are no walls, only glass for the street to see. That's Microsoft's theme.

It's amazing that the computer division of Apple lost money and declined in OS share.

Has anyone seen the XBox live with no control for the remote. It has voice recognition, movement recognition, Social recognition with Facebook.

It makes the Wii and Apple TV Look like a toaster.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/?fbid=bTCKkFrw7WR

How much money has your Microsoft lost on their Xbox project?
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

How much money has your Microsoft lost on their Xbox project?

No more than Apple has lost on their Apple TV.

At least XBox games are selling. Apple TV is a "project" for Steve.

Microsoft has obviously put in 1,000's of hours on this next upgrade.

Where is Apple TV in the home market? About as well as the Kindle is selling. Which Google as of this week will dominate the market.

iPhone has way too much competition and Apple sat on their ass and let it happen.

They should have seen that Android (which will have 15 phones in the US alone this year) was superior and the Pre has multi tasking and everything the iPhone has.

No it doesn't have a billion downloads of worthless apps but RIM Blackberry has already proved you don't need a flash light on every phone.

Just a great phone.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    :-o

wow
  • Reply 35 of 64
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

It's amazing that the computer division of Apple lost money.

Apple Mac sales made money.

Which one is it boy-genius?

Quote:

You might want to look in the mirror when you say things like that.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Microsoft 2009 is like General Motors in 1970's. Living on the legacy of the biggest market share of everything, putting out mediocre product with planned obsolescence as a way to make millions. Fanboys like Seahawk pound their chests thinking this will last forever. On second thought, some of those GM cars were kinda of cool looking at least. Nothing that passes through Ballmer is cool.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

With Apple's gross margin being around 36%, that's still a lot of moolah, over $150 million a year.

If Dell sold $440 million worth of its low-cost, low-margin computers, its profit would be about $10.

Good one!
  • Reply 38 of 64
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Microsoft 2009 is like General Motors in 1970's. Living on the legacy of the biggest market share of everything, putting out mediocre product with planned obsolescence as a way to make millions. Fanboys like Seahawk pound their chests thinking this will last forever. On second thought, some of those GM cars were kinda of cool looking at least. Nothing that passes through Ballmer is cool.

Having locked up the PC market both consumer and business the net is the next major goal. More and more sites can only work properly using Internet Explorer. Games, Media, Players, Medical....
  • Reply 39 of 64
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Where is Apple TV in the home market? About as well as the Kindle is selling. Which Google as of this week will dominate the market.

Your text does absolutely make no sense to me. First you talk about the Apple TV. Then You state that the Apple TV is selling as well as an e-paper device (kindle). And that you state that Google will own de e-paper/e-book market as of this week. What has that got to do with the Apple TV? And where are you sources?

Quote:

iPhone has way too much competition and Apple sat on their ass and let it happen.

They should have seen that Android (which will have 15 phones in the US alone this year) was superior and the Pre has multi tasking and everything the iPhone has.

I am sorry but I believe that all the other companies stepped up after the iPhone was introduced into our atmosphere. Also 15 different phones do not guarantee a success. It means that the developers have to take all those 15 different phones into account when they write an app. And we will see how the users like the multi tasking on their pre once they got it.

Quote:

No it doesn't have a billion downloads of worthless apps but RIM Blackberry has already proved you don't need a flash light on every phone.

Just a great phone.

Which only Apple has got.

All RIM has proven is that they were the one that were sitting on their buts. Whilst Apple achieved in the phone market in a year that RIM could have never dreamed off doing in their entire existence. They are one of the if not the first phone maker that really set the terms of the contract and demand certain services accompanied with their phone. They made the world first phone with a touch screen that really worked. The first browser that really worked. And were the one with an App Store that really worked.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    oh-es-tenoh-es-ten Posts: 53member
    Quote:

No more than Apple has lost on their Apple TV.

At least XBox games are selling. Apple TV is a "project" for Steve.

Microsoft has obviously put in 1,000's of hours on this next upgrade.

Just a great phone.

MS Shill much?

As usual with MS, all of yesterday's stuff at E3 was a lot of waffle and currently vapourware. Not everyone will want to stand up and talk to the game they are playing (to make a kid go fishing... WTF? Nearly as bad as Songsmith)