5th Avenue store brings Apple $440 million per year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan View Post

Once again your stupidity out weighs your intellect.

Apple Mac sales made money but lost Market Share.

"sales of Apple?s Macintosh personal computers declined by 3% from the year-ago period."

I wouldn't call that a win for Apple. They are betting all on the iPhone & 3.0 isn't looking to be the 4th and 1 call that Apple needs and OSX is Snow Kitty in comparison to the touch OS that Win 07 is.

Now give me your normal 200 lines of BS that make it all better and go to bed feeling good about yourself.

its a great win considering the great downturn in the market . DURING a world wide recession apple has one of its best quarters ever .

either you don't understand the whole fantastic rise of apple . every single box maker has had terrible sales and profit . except apple.

or your a TROLL who comes here to stir the pot .

>>>>

Back on topic .

Mmany Businesses shop at the 5th ave store . so maybe that helps sales .

440 milliom sounds like a lot .

• Reply 42 of 64
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    To all those who posted speculation on how many Macs it would take to have $x in sales - have you noticed that the Apple Store also carries many products that are not computers and even products that do not have an Apple logo on them. So not ever person who walks in would have to be buying a new Mac or iPhone for Apple to be making money. Think peripherals, iPhone and iPod accessories, software, disk drives, memory sticks, BOSE headphones, etc, etc. And with all the extra space they have in that location there is a lot more space for products that work WITH Apple products. My local Apple store is not huge but they have increased the number of products on display significantly since it first opened - both in the Apple branded spaces and the non-Apple branded areas.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Microsoft 2009 is like General Motors in 1970's. Living on the legacy of the biggest market share of everything, putting out mediocre product with planned obsolescence as a way to make millions. Fanboys like Seahawk pound their chests thinking this will last forever. On second thought, some of those GM cars were kinda of cool looking at least. Nothing that passes through Ballmer is cool.

compare MS server products to Apple. Almost everyone says OS X server is a joke, the hardware certainly is. in less than 10 year MS went from selling Windows 2000/ Exchange 5.5/SQL 7 to a whole suite of server products that went from 0% to a large percentage of their market and growing at double digit rates.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

compare MS server products to Apple....

I don't think anyone argues that MS is dominant in enterprise. Apple haters can have that one -take it. However, Apple is CLEARLY consumer-oriented, both with their computers and their phones. HALF of all Mac sales are to switchers. I'm not alone when I say I'll always be forced to use a PC at work, but will always have a mac when i get home.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    The 5th Avenue store is one of the least plesant to be in - overcrowded and a bit opressive with quite a low ceiling and no real windows. Most of the others are much more airy, at least the ones I've been to.

Location, location, location...
  • Reply 46 of 64
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Apple will never compete in the business arena which leaves Mac sales that are losing money ...

What possesses someone to write this sort of crap.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    HOW MUCH IS THE RENT? What is in the lease? How many millions a year are they paying in rent? Are they also paying a percent of sales to the GM buildings owners? Has that been disclosed? Releasing one set of number without the other is so typical.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    $1.2mil a day. Where do you keep that much stock? Are trucks coming and going with new stock every hour?
  • Reply 49 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Must be gross. The Tech Press can't seem to understand that INCOME has a different meaning from REVENUE.

I'm sure they comprehend. I think they just like using the biggest number they can grab, or the smallest number, whichever suits their needs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

With Apple's gross margin being around 36%, that's still a lot of moolah, over $150 million a year.

If Dell sold $440 million worth of its low-cost, low-margin computers, its profit would be about $10.

I don't know what they are at now, but I recall that Dell is actually one of the higher margin companies.

Quote:

That would be illegal, corporate sales are handled by a different division than an Apple Store and both divisions report their numbers separately.

You are wrong again.

This isn't AccountingInsider, so harping on someone on a speculative post about accounting is too much.

Quote:

Once again your stupidity out weighs your intellect.

Now give me your normal 200 lines of BS that make it all better and go to bed feeling good about yourself.

How about this: you stop with the ad hominems, belittling and name calling or just go away.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

good life ??

Irrelevant.

You will be assimilated.

It's from Star Trek TNG (the Borg).

$440M annual does seem too high upon reading the other posts.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    tummytummy Posts: 21member
    The article says the SOHO store does $100 million / yr, so I can believe the 5th ave location does $440 million. It is much busier, open 24/7, and is in one of the best locations in the world.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

No more than Apple has lost on their Apple TV.

At least XBox games are selling. Apple TV is a "project" for Steve.

Microsoft has obviously put in 1,000's of hours on this next upgrade.

Where is Apple TV in the home market? About as well as the Kindle is selling. Which Google as of this week will dominate the market.

iPhone has way too much competition and Apple sat on their ass and let it happen.

They should have seen that Android (which will have 15 phones in the US alone this year) was superior and the Pre has multi tasking and everything the iPhone has.

No it doesn't have a billion downloads of worthless apps but RIM Blackberry has already proved you don't need a flash light on every phone.

Just a great phone.

Again we get it, Apple is dead, now get lost.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Which one is it boy-genius?

You might want to look in the mirror when you say things like that.

You see how clueless some of these trolls are.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

$1.2mil a day. Where do you keep that much stock? Are trucks coming and going with new stock every hour?

a lot of the business is applecare, mobileme and the genius subscriptions, no need for inventory
  • Reply 55 of 64
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

HOW MUCH IS THE RENT? What is in the lease? How many millions a year are they paying in rent? Are they also paying a percent of sales to the GM buildings owners? Has that been disclosed? Releasing one set of number without the other is so typical.

Once again you're missing the point, no one is talking about how much profit the store makes but about sales, and those numbers, if true, are very impressive.

As a separate issue it would be interesting to find out the terms of the lease because that space was a total disaster and an eyesore before Apple redid it. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave them a sweetheart deal because no one else wanted the space and Apple is a major draw.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Seahawk Fan: I'm new here but noticed all of your PC troll posts. Wow PC trolls still exist? Not only is that pathetic but you're a Seahawk fan too, LOL. What a luzr!
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Boy, I've seen this TechStud loser skulking around twisting facts, figures, and syntax, but who's this Seahawk dullard?

I'm all for honest debate, but these trolls should just be ignored.

Oh, yeah, and Apple's dead. Clearly.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    It was originally an open sunken plaza that collected wind blown garbage. Some guy named Trump bought the building and covered the pit creating the retail space. He then sold the building and new retail space and made a couple of bucks.

Fun Fact--Crocodile Dundee uttered his memorable line "Now that's a knife" in the columns behind the glass cube (which was the open pit at the time).
  • Reply 59 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

Boy, I've seen this TechStud loser skulking around twisting facts, figures, and syntax, but who's this Seahawk dullard?

I'm all for honest debate, but these trolls should just be ignored.

Oh, yeah, and Apple's dead. Clearly.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are one and the same. Or at the minimum, they are both siblings locked up in their parents' basement with only a raggedy Victoria's Secret catalog and a slow internet connection to keep them company.

Either way, they are trolls and my hope is their DNA will stop with them.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    formerarsgmformerarsgm Posts: 191member
    You would all be amazed at how fast a typical ARS (Apple Retail Store) racks up sales throughout the day. Most ARS' clear $30M easily each year. SOHO has beat $100M for years.

Now, $1.2M per day does sound high but I watch standard 'A' and 'B' catagory stores clear $1M per day repeatedly during the holiday.

How do you keep that much inventory in stock? Easy. The size of Apple's MB, MBP, iMac, and iPod boxes have shrunk dramatically since the first stores launched 6 years ago. Figure this: selling 500 notebook computers (avg ticket of $2K) with accessories, Applecare, and other memberships easily hits the $1.2 per day. In stores I ran, we easily stocked 400-600 notebooks at peak periods (BTS & holiday).

Trust me, the storage capacity in 5th Ave is more than capable of handling the stock for sales of this type. Plus they are replinished ever daily. The team at Apple Retail is way better than any other in retail. They knew the revenue projections and built the store and stockroom to support them.

This will blow you away - most stores carry enough inventory to support 5-7 days worth of sales. This is ramped up to as high as 14 days in season.

Apple Retail has the highest sales per square foot for a reason - the stores move HUGE revenue thru what typically is a 30' or 45' mall-based in-line retail space. Now, give the team a 5th Avenue and sales are going to be off the hook.

So, to wrap up your education: $1.2M per day = a couple of hundred notebooks, a couple of hundred iMacs, a handful of MacPros, and a bunch of iPods and iPhones topped off with accessories, AppleCare, ProCare, OnetoOne and BAM - you gross over $1M a day with ease.

Thanks. I'll be here all night. Tip your waiters and waitresses on the way out.

(Hi Tink, miss u still.)