SanDisk CEO concedes that Apple's iPod has won the war

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I have avoided looking at Sansa, since there is no claim of OS X compatibility?
  • Reply 22 of 89
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Now what? They give up?

They may not get first place but SanDisk should continue selling their players although I think the new ZuneHD will be a formidable opponent to the iPod.

yes

sell your appl stock
  • Reply 23 of 89
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

IMO the shuffle is the chink in Apple's armor. Apple does not currently offer a compelling low-cost iPod.

Of course no vendor wants to be pigeon-holed in the low end of the market. But I'd take a $50 Sansa Clip with a screen over the new shuffle and its proprietary controls, even if the new shuffle were $10 cheaper.

take ?? don't you own the top selling sandisk player ???
  • Reply 24 of 89
    Sandisk is doing a great job. They dont have Apple's HW/SW intergation, or ecosystem. Nor do they have MS's monopoly. Nor do they have the brand name recognition of their competitors. Yet they still maintain a #2 position year after year, however small.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Too bad they don't have that automatic profit set up that MS has to fund the Zune. Oh well, Zune HD is coming soon and that little "HD" tag is whats going to take a ton of sales away from Apple. Nice marketing from MS with that little tag change.

I doubt they will take any sales from Apple. We shall see soon.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yeah, right, uh huh. We'll see.

We heard that before they released the original Zunes and now Microsoft has the Zune HD which will finish Apple. They also have Windows 7 coming to finish off Apple too.
  • Reply 27 of 89
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Not that the screen and playlist functionality (never-mind the additional 2GB) isn't worth it but the 4GB clip is $80. You need to compare the 1GB Clip @ $40 or the 2GB Clip @ $60.

If I can buy the sansa clip for 51$ at Amazon, with free postage, how does that mean it costs 80$? ??

Thats in comparison to ~43$ for the 2gb and 33$ for the 1gb

Now if you are talking about the 8gb clip, that is 80$
  • Reply 28 of 89
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Why would they? Apple never admitted they lost OS war, though it is obvious considering market shares. And this guy is silly - stating the obvious. Plus, they likely didn't loose only to Apple - I'd bet other brands like Creative, Sony... are selling more MP3 players than SanDisk anyway.

For information purposes only, Apple DID admit they lost the OS war. Can't remember exactly when and where but I think it was somewhere around 97, when Jobs went back to Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

For information purposes only, Apple DID admit they lost the OS war. Can't remember exactly when and where but I think it was somewhere around 97, when Jobs went back to Apple.

Perhaps Jobs did say something like that, but in business I can?t see anyone as losing if they are still making a decent profit.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps Jobs did say something like that, but in business I can’t see anyone as losing if they are still making a decent profit.

Of course you wouldn't- being hooked up to your kool-aid drip. It's a Windows world- get over it. Mac is a niche market and makes a profit- so what? So is Ferrari.

Why must you continually try to compare apples to cumquats?
  • Reply 31 of 89
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

You missed where I said "compelling".

Remove the blinders, and then compare the 1GB 2nd gen Shuffle for $45 to the 4GB Sansa Clip for $51, and you'll see what I mean. Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious, the Clip supports (collective gasp) *playlists*! And you can see the song on its (collective gasp) *screen*.

Since the shuffle sells like hotcakes, you apparently have a different definition of "compelling" than the majority of buyers.

The fact that an Apple product is not compelling to you is not a "chink in their armor."
  • Reply 32 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Agreed on the new Shuffle, but the 2nd gen was great, and they still have it. I'll take that as my work-out iPod any day.

Agreed - that new shuffle is a waste of any bother. Virgin Megastore was just closing in NYC and I snatched up another 2nd gen for $30. I passed on the current Nano for $119- 16 gb.

Whoever thought that changing tunes is easier using a flailing cord rather than a secured device attached at your hip has either never worked out, an idiot or both.
  • Reply 33 of 89
    bruce youngbruce young Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post

The Sansa Clip is a wonderful little product, coming from someone who is now on his fifth iPod. Quite simply, the Sana Clip excels with audio books and the iPod doesn't. ...Plus, my Sansa Clip is tiny and features an FM tuner plus an audio recorder...neither of which are on my current iPod. There's a place for both devices, so Mr. SanDisk shouldn't get all doom-and-gloom here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

I was just coming here to say I hope SanDisk stays in the game. The shuffle is a nice device, but for me, I much prefer my SanDisk clip. I paid about $25 for a 2gb version last year - that makes it about a third of the cost of the shuffle. ...

I too hope that Sandisk Sansa stays in the marketplace.

Years back I bought an iRock 830 so that I could have both mp3 and radio tuner in one device. Though since that only had 128MB memory (!), I had to be judicious about song selection. But it too had a display screen that let me see the song playing and coming up, and radio station tuned in. (even though small capacity, it could play music longer than I'd typically exercise at the gym...)

Those two features --display screen, and radio tuner-- are things that the Sansa Clip (and maybe others) have that iPod currently lacks. (I think the Sansa has a mic to record... not sure.)

Now I do like my iPod Shuffle (2nd gen, matchbook size and shape). But it'd be a really superior product if it could pack those several extra features into the diminutive --but not TOO diminutive (ala Shuffle 3rd)-- format. For me the ideal combo would be control buttons/wheel, display screen, radio tuner, mp3/aac/wma/audible (though I rarely use wma), mic record (though again, I'm not sure how much i'd use it), all in a package about the size of the Shuffle 2nd gen or a matchbook or maybe a tad larger.

For me, making the device ever smaller is just not a selling point.

Anyway, we already know that competition and choice options from several vendors is better than a single company with monopolistic control of a market segment.

(additional thought edit: the one icky part about the Sansa Clip is their docs say you have to use the [icky IMO] Windows Media Player to load music, but maybe some of the other media managers support it...)
  • Reply 34 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Since the shuffle sells like hotcakes, you apparently have a different definition of "compelling" than the majority of buyers.

The fact that an Apple product is not compelling to you is not a "chink in their armor."

Hello? It was selling because it was only just released! What are the figures? Back up your claims. The current shuffle is the worst. It has received some of the worse reviews of any Apple product-EVER.
  • Reply 35 of 89
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Hello? It was selling because it was only just released! What are the figures? Back up your claims. The current shuffle is the worst. It has received some of the worse reviews of any Apple product-EVER.

Why do you always have to sound so negative and aggressive regarding just about most things?

Doesn't this frame of mind, and wearing such negativity and agressiveness on your sleeve, affect you in any way?
  • Reply 36 of 89
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Even worse than the Cube?
  • Reply 37 of 89
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    SanDisk didn't have to be an also-ran. But most most of this half-asleep industry is full of them.

Apple continues to set standards . . . because they have them. Rigid ones. Challenging ones. Apple is absolutely maniacal when it comes to interface design and ease of use. No one else is like that. NO ONE. And that's why Apple actually has "fans", not just "users."
  • Reply 38 of 89
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    You all do realize this entire article consists of a single line actual news item, namely the quote. Everything else is AI "fleshing out" the story with background.

Much ado about nothing.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    jcmiamijcmiami Posts: 4member
    Sandisk did not create anything that is compelling visually that would attract a potential Apple user. Sandisk does make great products mechanically but they are nowhere near as

"desirable" nor they updated their products to keep up with the competition. Let's face it, Apple is almost impossible to beat - they are always one step ahead and know their buyers and know how to seduce the buyers to their products VERY WELL. I happen to own the Sandisk Clip and the new iPod Shuffle. The Sandisk Clip sounds MUCH better, has a bright screen and has a great FM tuner...the shuffle has none of this. The new Shuffle is 1/4 the size of the Clip, much lighter and all the controls are on the "cord." You can wear the shuffle and forget you are even wearing it. It wins on size and portability alone. The Sandisk Clip is much chunkier. When I want to use the FM tuner, I use the Clip. The Shuffle has too many design flaws that show up with regular use (I couldn't return it, passed the return period). If Sandisk would have streamlined the Clip and kept its excellent sound quality and features...it would have been a Shuffle killer!
  • Reply 40 of 89
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    SanDisk should not give up. I have iPods but my loyalty isn't secured. The Palm Pre can sync-up with iTunes (albeit non-DRM music which is most of mine) so why can't SanDisk do the same and embrace iTunes and AAC formats.

They need to innovate their way to winning marketshare and come-out with their own iPod Touch-like device. Heck, I'm sure they could license the Palm WebOS.

I don't see RIM giving-up on phones or even Microsoft giving up on the media device market. Winners don't give-up easy.