SanDisk CEO concedes that Apple's iPod has won the war

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    bruce youngbruce young Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Nope, not correct on either point. I seriously looked at a Creative Zen when I bought a video player (this is before the iPhone came out) but decided against it because it required WMP for managing media (FWIW, I bought an Archos 704, and it's great). WMP isn't just the most pathetic excuse for a GUI ever, it's also horribly insecure and supports embedded IE, and I'd never use it.

The Sansa players can mount as a Windows Media client, or can be mounted in hard drive mode. I've never plugged my Clip into a Windows machine, it's always been managed by my Mac; create folders for your music and drag and drop files from the Finder. (Again, I still prefer using iTunes)

The only thing I can think of that would require a Windows client would be Audible and Rhapsody support.

Thanks for the info update, djames.

I wasn't being critical of the Sansa Clip product - only of their published website info saying I'd have to use Windows Media Player (WMP).

The Clip product itself looks pretty intriguing to me. Based on specs, looks to be a bit smaller (but considerably more updated/powerful) than my ancient iRock player. Maybe one is in my future...

It's been an interesting opportunity to get my various media players all lined up to see their sizes, plus/minus points ...

iPod 3rd gen (4button+wheel model, now defunct and looking huge), iPod mini, iPod Shuffle 2nd gen, iRock 830, book of matches (which does not play music at all...).

Since I don't have the Clip, I couldn't test if it works with any of the other Windows media manager/players - WinAmp, JetAudio, MediaMonkey, Foobar2000, Songbird, etc (there's a bunch of 'em). I've been sort of looking for an alternative to WMP for my Windows machine, but just haven't spent enough time sorting it all out.

(On my Mac, iTunes rules the music library )
  • Reply 82 of 89
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And just what did you prove?

you asked for a review showing the new shuffle to be ranked one of the worst, and the ilounge contains said review...

but seeing as you are just trolling or just have a reading problem, it would make no difference
  • Reply 83 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

you asked for a review showing the new shuffle to be ranked one of the worst, and the ilounge contains said review...

but seeing as you are just trolling or just have a reading problem, it would make no difference

So posting a link to iLounge?s homepage is somehow proof? With logic like that, no wonder you are siding with Teckstud. Besides the iLounge reviewer being quite fair in their pro and con assessment of the new Shuffle, a single review does not equate to ?the current shuffle is the worst [?] Apple product-EVER.? Any worthwhile review will point out the positive and negative, and every product will have positive and negatives, thereby not necessarily fitting everyone?s needs, but to state that it?s the worst product ever by showing a single review from iLounge that also states how it better than the previous Shuffle and how it has features that other iPods don?t, it Teckstudian logic at its best.
  • Reply 84 of 89
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko;1426193[B

]you asked for a review showing the new shuffle to be ranked one of the worst[/B], and the ilounge contains said review...

No I didn't.

Can you read? Better ask your parents to explain it to you.
  • Reply 85 of 89
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Interesting. Like you I too am forced to use a Mac because it is the one company that accommodates my needs while no other does.

lol so you must know how I feel. Wouldn't it be nice if you had more choice?

BTW, what do you do?
  • Reply 86 of 89
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I know osx, I know Windows, and I know that Apple computers cost too much for people like my friends Matt and Lisa. They recently bought a gateway for 400 bucks from best buy. I helped them set it up, load up mcafee and spybot, and they couldn't be happier. For another 100 bucks or so they can get a video card and start buying games. So let me ask you, were they slavishly following the masses, or making the most practical purchase decision based on what they need/could afford?

*This is Matt and Lisa. They asked their friend chronster for help choosing a PC that... "Sucks and costs less than $400". He totally screwed them over, instead of helping them find a used mac within their budget. But hey, it was what they wanted, and the path of least resistance is always the easiest*....
  • Reply 87 of 89
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Now what? They give up?

They may not get first place but SanDisk should continue selling their players although I think the new ZuneHD will be a formidable opponent to the iPod.

MS does not get it ... the hardware is important, but the entire experience is more important. MS has failed to deliver this and will continue to lose ground, no matter how good Zune is.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The other thing about Microsoft's efforts at consumer electronics is they seem to be stuck on the whole "youthful" and "edgy" thing to the point that it limits their market.

Apple wants to sell to everybody, 7 to 70, and everything they do reflects that. They try and figure out how to make stuff that can be ubiquitous and fun for all. MS thinks being Hot Topic will endear them to the kids.

Which is odd, because their Windows branding bends over backwards to be Jay Leno.
  • Reply 89 of 89
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

lol so you must know how I feel. Wouldn't it be nice if you had more choice?

BTW, what do you do?

To your first question, I respect the adage, "the more choices you have, the longer it takes to make a decision," and prefer the shortcut.

To your second, my response in part is, "a question my wife would like to know"

Actually, I am supposed to be retired. So what little time I have left,* much of my day involves strategic planning/ leading/teaching/programming/conducting/consulting/researching for and in the healthsciences education and industry arena. In other words, I am invariably, "looking." And without my Macbook Pro and its illuminated keyboard, I would be lost.

*unfortunately there are only 24 hours in a day and normal body functioning does consume part of that