Sprint to keep Palm Pre for more than six months

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Why more? Six months is enough time for the Pre to die...

I would say 72 hours is more like it...
  • Reply 22 of 91
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

it is? I thought the point of the article is that the 6-month exclusivitiy is false.

Did I mention 6 months anywhere? NO.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    lol palm's stock is dropping after this announcement.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    Quote:

Hmm. If everybody involved in that was satisfied (customers, Apple, & AT&T), what's the problem?

I didn't camp out for the first-gen iPhone, but i did buy it two days after it went on sale (something aspiring Pre owners won't get the chance to do, if projected inventory reports prove accurate). I was somewhat ticked the price dropped two months later, but, considering I got a $100 credit I feel the other $100 is simply the price you pay as an early adopter. I would imagine most people feel that way as well.

You actually received $100 credit of Apple money which is a lot different than a $100 credit.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You said:

So I wondered what Hesse had said about iPhone comparisons.

What is this- the SAT with you? or a spelling bee with you?

Semantics my friend- do you understand what that means?
  • Reply 26 of 91
    Quote:

I got a $100 credit I feel the other $100 is simply the price you pay as an early adopter. I would imagine most people feel that way as well.

Really? I never got back $100 in Apple money for purchasing the AppleTV when launched. \
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Quote:

Hmm. If everybody involved in that was satisfied (customers, Apple, & AT&T), what's the problem?

The camping out thing was more like a party than it was a line for a phone. I mean, the lines didn't last all day long like that, and everyone got their phone, so really the only point was to just hang out and have a good time with people that had similar interests. I read that one guy was caught talking on a WM phone while waiting in line so the mob hung him from a light pole and burned him alive.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    There's no news report of a line for the 'pre', sprint can sleep easy knowing that there will be no line for the 'pre' tomorrow morning. call me crazy but i do equate, a line of people wanting a product, with a successful product launch. i'm willing to bet that this year too, there WILL be a line of people waiting to get the iphone, days before its arrival.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

There's no news report of a line for the 'pre', sprint can sleep easy knowing that there will be no line for the 'pre' tomorrow morning. call me crazy but i do equate, a line of people wanting a product, with a successful product launch. i'm willing to bet that this year too, there WILL be a line of people waiting to get the iphone, days before its arrival.

You've never considered that it's because of Apple fanboys with only an iLife? Palm doesn't make computers obviously so there would not be as large a fan base to begin with- hence no line.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

I camped out in front of chik-fil-a when for their grand opening down the street. They have some pretty DAMN good chicken man. Get the chicken strips.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Palm used to have a large fan base. They used to be the most popular hand held device. They lost their fan base after years of mediocrity. The same nearly happened to Apple 10 years ago, but they go their act together in time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You've never considered that it's because of Apple fanboys with only an iLife? Palm doesn't make computers obviously so there would not be as large a fan base to begin with- hence no line.

• Reply 32 of 91
    At the time AT&T would have made the deal for the iPhone the carriers were all closer together in number of subscribers. Its only within the last couple of years that Verizon and AT&T have become so much larger than Sprint or T-Mobile.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe it's just that the smaller players are more desperate, and so they are willing to make bigger concessions to attract the most lucrative manufacturers away from Verizon.

• Reply 33 of 91
    I used my $100 credit from the first iPhone to buy the 3G. Felt as good as cash to me.

Quote:

You actually received $100 credit of Apple money which is a lot different than a $100 credit.

• Reply 34 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sprint spokesman Mark Elliott not only said the company did not expect long lines for the Pre at its 1,100 stores, but also claimed that it didn?t want to experience an iPhone-like frenzy. ?We?re actually trying to manage the exact opposite,? Elliott said.

sour grapes!
  • Reply 35 of 91
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    This is inexcusable for this much back-n-forth to still be going on ONE DAY before the release of a product that is supposed to signal a new era for Palm and Sprint. Get your acts together. How did Sprint and Palm let this exclusivity confusion happen in the first place?
  • Reply 36 of 91
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

At least the Pre is going to other carriers after a short term. The public benefits.

I don't know where you got that information.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I don't know where you got that information.

For all we know it could be a 4 year deal.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

This is inexcusable for this much back-n-forth to still be going on ONE DAY before the release of a product that is supposed to signal a new era for Palm and Sprint. Get your acts together. How did Sprint and Palm let this exclusivity confusion happen in the first place?

I agree. Although, we should cut Palm some slack, considering they are a really small company, all things considered: 1/30th the size of Sprint or Apple in terms of revenue (and 1/70th the size of Apple in terms of market cap).

Sprint seems like the really clueless partner here.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    tbehunintbehunin Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"They need to check their facts," Hesse said. "That just is not the case. Both Palm and Sprint have agreed not to discuss the length of the exclusivity deal. But I can tell you it's not six months."

That's right - it's 7 months.. So there! Neener neener..
  • Reply 40 of 91
    missiongreymissiongrey Posts: 208member
    Its unfortunate the companies are using "Statements" to try and jump stock prices.

Its also sad people are so jumpy and also put any stock in the "Analysts"

haha "Anal-ist" it more like it.