Sprint to keep Palm Pre for more than six months

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You've never considered that it's because of Apple fanboys with only an iLife? Palm doesn't make computers obviously so there would not be as large a fan base to begin with- hence no line.

Interesting observation, but I don't think Wii launched with lines out the door because Nintendo had an avid computer consumer base. Or Tickle-Me Elmo, or Cabbage-Patch Kids, or the first Batman movie, etc.

You don't need an existing customer base/buzz from another product line for people to be so excited about a new product that they're willing to stand in line for it. Crazily enough, you don't even need a history of reliability or success - you just need a friggin' fantastic (good or cool isn't enough) product that demonstrates during the lead-up to its launch it will meet or exceed the desires of the market.

Palm is right that success isn't always defined by long lines - but telling people you don't want long lines is like saying you don't want them to want your product. Which is either negligent inconsistency (because that's not the message they started with); or it's just a lie. Time will tell.
  • Reply 42 of 91
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Interesting observation, but I don't think Wii launched with lines out the door because Nintendo had an avid computer consumer base. Or Tickle-Me Elmo, or Cabbage-Patch Kids, or the first Batman movie, etc.

You don't need an existing customer base/buzz from another product line for people to be so excited about a new product that they're willing to stand in line for it. Crazily enough, you don't even need a history of reliability or success - you just need a friggin' fantastic (good or cool isn't enough) product that demonstrates during the lead-up to its launch it will meet or exceed the desires of the market.

Palm is right that success isn't always defined by long lines - but telling people you don't want long lines is like saying you don't want them to want your product. Which is either negligent inconsistency (because that's not the message they started with); or it's just a lie. Time will tell.

No- he's just playing it very smart by saying he's not interested (which he probably really is). This way if there are no lines he doesn't look like a loser. But if there are there he looks like a winner.

And BTW - don't think Verizon ( the largest and best network) won't get the Pre after 6 months. Verizon has the resources to give some major change to Sprint to get it if its contract is longer - you'll see.
  • Reply 43 of 91
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sprint's CEO stated today that despite the comments coming from Verizon Wireless, his company's exclusive rights to sell the Palm Pre will extend longer than six months.

seven!?

Quote:

Still, Sprint has warned that the Pre won't generate the same excited theatrics as the iPhone did when it first went on sale.

RATS!

Quote:

Sprint spokesman Mark Elliott not only said the company did not expect long lines for the Pre at its 1,100 stores, but also claimed that it didn?t want to experience an iPhone-like frenzy. ?We?re actually trying to manage the exact opposite,? Elliott said.

Whatever you have to keep telling yourself. They don't expect long lines because they probably did their own polling and along with the state of the economy, those long lines are just not going to be happening. So they are getting the word out so any apparent flop won't be conceived as a flop. Especially with the release of the iPhone and it's new OS a few days after the Pre.

Wonder if there will be any lines at the AT&T or Apple stores?
  • Reply 44 of 91
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Quote:

don't think Verizon ( the largest and best network) won't get the Pre after 6 months. Verizon has the resources to give some major change to Sprint to get it if its contract is longer - you'll see.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's FASCINATING that Verizon hasn't been the carrier of choice for ANY of the hot smartphones when they've launched - Blackberry, Palm Treo, iPhone, G1, none of 'em started on Verizon.

I'm wondering if it's a deliberate choice on Verizon's part to wait until the device makers have nowhere else to go and are ready to play their game? Or does their success just make them too hard to please as a partner?
  • Reply 45 of 91
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Anyone of average intelligence would know that Sprint/Palm prefer to have lines out of the door. They are playing down the fact that their won't be lines to lower expectations.

Quote:

No- he's just playing it very smart by saying he's not interested (which he probably really is). This way if there are no lines he doesn't look like a loser. But if there are there he looks like a winner.

• Reply 46 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

What is this- the SAT with you? or a spelling bee with you?

Semantics my friend- do you understand what that means?

Semantics is the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. As you’ve sown us time and time again logic and meaning have no baring on your thought process. Besides that, stating something as merely semantics usually only works in an argument when the word is not a proper noun used as your subject. For example if you say you want a Big Mac from Burger King. That isn’t semantics, that is being flat out wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree. Although, we should cut Palm some slack, considering they are a really small company, all things considered: 1/30th the size of Sprint or Apple in terms of revenue (and 1/70th the size of Apple in terms of market cap).

Sprint seems like the really clueless partner here.

Did you just look that up? I ask because the stock has gone from $1 range to the $13 a share range since this past January. I’ll check out their previous marketcap a little later when I get some time.

Quote:

And BTW - don't think Verizon ( the largest and best network) won't get the Pre after 6 months. Verizon has the resources to give some major change to Sprint to get it if its contract is longer - you'll see.

With McNamee making ridiculous statements that were later legally retracted by Palm’s lawyers, perhaps a little less hubris is in order with the Pre launch.

Quote:

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's FASCINATING that Verizon hasn't been the carrier of choice for ANY of the hot smartphones when they've launched - Blackberry, Palm Treo, iPhone, G1, none of 'em started on Verizon.

I'm wondering if it's a deliberate choice on Verizon's part to wait until the device makers have nowhere else to go and are ready to play their game? Or does their success just make them too hard to please as a partner?

Verizon is top dog right now so they do have more control over vendors. Sprint is in the weakest overall position despite being ahead of T-Mobile. This does it make it appear that they have scoffed at vendor wishes with has pushed them to other providers. Mostly in the way of subsidization payouts, which could very well more than the retail price for the device or come with an up front payment for the exclusivity. I don’t think Apple ever seriously considered Verizon as AT&T was the best choice for many reasons despite Verizon’s better coverage and CDMA being better for voice than GSM, but we don’t have any way of actually knowing for sure at this point. We may never know.

Verizon did get the BB Storm exclusivity. I wonder if the lack of WiFi was RiM’s choice or if Verizon required it so they could get more data services off users. With Verizon’s history the latter seems most likely.
  • Reply 47 of 91
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:

Verizon is probably trying to leverage their "network superiority" (I put it in quotes because for me and all of the areas I have been in, it's not that much superior) to force vendors to compromise on their hardware (i.e. the Bold and lack of WiFi).

I don't understand why Verizon gets a pass on this. They consistently try to hamstring hardware and dictate features - often cutting them (like the Bold). I hope they continue to get bypassed for new hardware and software until they give up and become the dumb pipes they should be.

Marginally better coverage does not make up for lack of functionality for me, and I'm extremely happy that AT&T was willing to BLINDLY trust Apple and do the iPhone. What they did with Apple was totally unheard of and AT&T SHOULD be rewarded for it. Even if you never use AT&T or own an iPhone, we all benefit from the precedents that AT&T and Apple have set (especially in the US - I realize this is less of a revolution in other parts of the world, but it's huge for us).

I'd much rather wait for AT&T to upgrade their network (and they are!) then reward Verizon for being an obnoxious dictator wholly focused on their self serving interests.

After having said that, I would like for Verizon to get a real and usable smart phone. It would be fun to see their network crumble under real usage. I have no doubt that part of AT&T's problems in many area's are that they vastly underestimated the data usage of the iPhone. I mean, why wouldn't they? Other smart phones were so abysmal to use for applications that required data, people rarely did. They probably looked at their data rates with other phones, tripled them and thought they were covered. I'll bet they were pleasantly and horribly surprised at the same time with the success of the iPhone.
  • Reply 48 of 91
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    can't have long lines if there isn't enough product, the worst case scenario for a company is a

stock outage with prime interest, its an impuse buy and you lose that impulse quick

also if sprint is relying on the pre to create its success, then they have a lot of work and pre to sell in 6 months, given a choice between networks most don't like sprint anyway

and what next after the pre a second exclusive model for sprint the "prump"

i wouldn't like to be in their shoes, can't sell the "network" can't sell "most bars" can't sell

the smartphone cause its out of stock

take over bait, the best thing about the pre might be the software for a company like sony or nokia to buy

funny how its the OS, and apps :wow not the bells and whistles, as apple fanboys have been saying all along
  • Reply 49 of 91
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    It is possible he meant what you said, but like also is used to give specific examples. For instance, I love old Rock ballads, like Journey. So, if I heard a CEO say he planned on bringing more smart phones to it's network in six months and then him naming names, I'd assume he meant those specific phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

And therein lies the misreporting... McAdam's said "devices like the Palm Pre." "Like" as in similar to, not "like" as in actual being.

What is the definition of is again?

• Reply 50 of 91
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

It's not to visionary to camp out in a line for a week when last year it was totally uneccesary. or 2 years ago - wait in line all night , pay $600 and then see your efforts devalued by $200 in 2 months.

Two comments in a row and your grasp of the English language strains the mind.

Legibility is always encouraged.

Quote:

It's not too visionary to camp out in a line for a week when last year it was unnecessary; or even two years ago waiting in a line all night, then pay $600 only to see your efforts devalued by $200 in a mere two months.

• Reply 51 of 91
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Can't wait to check one out myself. My only concern is the small keyboard.

It's too bad Verizon is looped-out for now. I haven't had any problems with Verizon's service for my Blackberry.

AI: When the G3 iPhone comes out I would like to see an iPhone G3 3.0 OS vs Palm Pre WebOS comparison. Can do?
  • Reply 52 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It is possible he meant what you said, but like also is used to give specific examples. For instance, I love old Rock ballads, like Journey. So, if I heard a CEO say he planned on bringing more smart phones to it's network in six months and then him naming names, I'd assume he meant those specific phones.

That is a good point. ?Like? can mean ?similar to? or ?for example?.

Though the latter usage should be avoided in favour of more clear terminology? like ?for example?.
  • Reply 53 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

AI: When the G3 iPhone comes out I would like to see an iPhone G3 3.0 OS vs Palm Pre WebOS comparison. Can do?

I have a feeling that it?s a given, especially when this weekend we?ll see a lot of current iPhone to Pre comparisons popping out.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is exactly how the iPhone 3G was sold for it's first couple of months. Apple would sell out everyday and people had to get appointments to come in the next day and buy a phone. Even with that appointment their was still a line everyday.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

can't have long lines if there isn't enough product, the worst case scenario for a company is a stock outage with prime interest, its an impuse buy and you lose that impulse quick

• Reply 55 of 91
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    No one is launching their new phones on Verizon because Verizon is arrogant and demands that the hardware be neutered. No wifi , no GPS, and no app store allowed. All additional functionality must be enabled through Verizon for additional fees paid to Verizon and not the phone manufacturer. This was the model for all carriers before the iPhone, Apple insisted on breaking it, and AT&T decided to play along.

The people at Apple are not stupid. The people who keep posting that Apple needs to end the AT&T exclusivity are the ones who are stupid. Apple is better off losing your sales and not dealing with Verizon until they capitulate on their demands. As long as their subscriber numbers remain strong selling feature limited phones, Verizon is likely to hold on to their policies. If you want good phones available on Verizon you are going to have to leave Verizon and let them see your vote in subsciber and revenue numbers.
  • Reply 56 of 91
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Wow do Verizon customers keep getting screwed. I'm sure there are a lot of us who cannot or will not switch networks because of issues like poor AT&T/Sprint coverage in the local area, being on a corporate/small business account, family plan, or whatever.

Verizon has always had a last-years-garbage type selection of smartphones, and this year is no different despite their promised "any device" policy. The only hope this year was the Blackberry Storm, which turned out to be far worse than I think many of us expected. Beyond that, their main Blackberry 8830 is dated compared to newer models like the Blackberry Bold and 8900, although supposedly they are supposed to get a new model sometime soon.

I despise Windows mobile after years of what I now consider masochism compared to my iPod Touch, but even for those fanboys out there Verizon's selection of Samsung, HTC, etc WinMo phones is really poor.

Now we probably won't see even the Palm Pre until mid-late 2010, and who the hell knows what Apple is doing. If they wanted to dramatically boost iPhone sales, they'd introduce an EVDO model on Monday (or a single model iPhone with a dual-radio chipset)

As far as the rumored Blackberry Storm v2, I'm not holding my breath. The only way for BB to make a competitive touchscreen device is to spend their time making a new version of Blackberry OS built from the ground up for a touchscreen interface --- instead of the "SurePress" hack job. In addition, the OS for ALL blackberry models needs to be updated to finally support native hardware graphics acceleration. Its pathetic how slow my 8830 is with the ARM core doing all the screen redrawing.

</rant>
  • Reply 57 of 91
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    Need to make a GSM version sometime if they ever want to make money.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Did you just look that up? I ask because the stock has gone from $1 range to the $13 a share range since this past January. I?ll check out their previous marketcap a little later when I get some time.

Palm's maket cap at the end of the day today: $1.79B (at a stock price of $13)

Apple's maket cap at the end of the day today: $129B (at a stock price of ~$144)
  • Reply 59 of 91
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Wow do Verizon customers keep getting screwed. I.......

</rant>

Yeah. Looks like this control-freak company is gettings its just deserts.

I had Verizon for a number of years, and couldn't wait to jump ship. I was thrilled that I finally could, and that too for something like the iPhone. Couldn't be more pleased, overall!
  • Reply 60 of 91
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Verizon is probably trying to leverage their "network superiority" (I put it in quotes because for me and all of the areas I have been in, it's not that much superior) to force vendors to compromise on their hardware (i.e. the Bold and lack of WiFi).

I don't understand why Verizon gets a pass on this. They consistently try to hamstring hardware and dictate features - often cutting them (like the Bold). I hope they continue to get bypassed for new hardware and software until they give up and become the dumb pipes they should be.

Marginally better coverage does not make up for lack of functionality for me, and I'm extremely happy that AT&T was willing to BLINDLY trust Apple and do the iPhone. What they did with Apple was totally unheard of and AT&T SHOULD be rewarded for it. Even if you never use AT&T or own an iPhone, we all benefit from the precedents that AT&T and Apple have set (especially in the US - I realize this is less of a revolution in other parts of the world, but it's huge for us).

I'd much rather wait for AT&T to upgrade their network (and they are!) then reward Verizon for being an obnoxious dictator wholly focused on their self serving interests.

After having said that, I would like for Verizon to get a real and usable smart phone. It would be fun to see their network crumble under real usage. I have no doubt that part of AT&T's problems in many area's are that they vastly underestimated the data usage of the iPhone. I mean, why wouldn't they? Other smart phones were so abysmal to use for applications that required data, people rarely did. They probably looked at their data rates with other phones, tripled them and thought they were covered. I'll bet they were pleasantly and horribly surprised at the same time with the success of the iPhone.

I agree with you on this and have been saying much the same.

As the iPhone accounts for so much of the data used in the world of smartphones, it's easy to see how that borked AT&T's network for a while, though it's much better now. Verizon hasn't had such usage, and even with a better network, whatever that means, there's no guarantee that theirs wouldn't have had serious problems.

But we may never know, as all the networks are bulking up on their capacity.