Sprint to keep Palm Pre for more than six months

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    loneratolonerato Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The problem actually was that Altell was a pretty nice sized company and there was too much overlap between Altell and Verizon, that is the reason they had to sell assets.

I believe with Alltel Verizon would have owned both blocks in most major areas
  • Reply 82 of 91
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

I have had both Verizon and Sprint and both have had their coverage issues. To say tha I am confused or miss led is pretty lame in the fact that just because you had crappy coverage with a carrier doesnt mean someone else does. Verizon has always had great coverage in the north east, due to Verizon being based out of NJ. The reason Verizon has FIOS is due to the MCI merger and all the fiber they received. Since both AT&T and Verizon are each moving to LTE you more than likely will not see a device with different wireless speeds. I'm still waiting on Google to do something will all the dark fiber they own.

I stand corrected about the confused part. About the fact that sprint sucks, well millions will agree sprint never came close to verizon, i guess I should say in the northeast.

Does AT&T have fiber ??
  • Reply 83 of 91
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Verizon's network is so big and they had so much spectrum they had to give almost all of their Alltel GSM spectrum to AT&T. The real reason people stay with Verizon and AT&T is because of their great marketing. Sprint screwed themselves when they merged with Nextel, just because both carriers controlled all of the 2.5 Ghz spectrum. To bad WiMax isn't going to be the conquer that Sprint and Nextel thought it would be and they suffered for it. Sprint should have merged with Alltel instead of Nextel, as they used the same tech and would have been a smoother transition and could have then taken on Verizon and AT&T for the 700 Mhz spectrum they are both using for LTE. On a side not ahd the the Sprint/MCI merger gone through Sprint might have been what Verizon has become, as Verizon basically did what Sprint was trying to do years earlier.

Their network isn't much bigger at all. But buying another company, cell carriers as well as those with land lines have to get rid of some.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    Quote:

I have used all manners of smartphones and still have a hard time looking at the iPhone as such. I like how you automatically said that no company will use the Pre as its not a business phone. That would be like saying the iPhone wouldn't be used by business either.I don't plan on buying a Pre, but would love to see it compete on all levels so Apple can step their game up and give us things that we want. I could also see why you left Palm after owning a 700p, as it had more issues then any of the previous models.

I'm just telling you what's been written. The Pre lacks many services that business want. The original iPhone also lacked most of them. It caught on with some companies, but not many.

But the ver 2 software solved most of those problems, and so it's become very popular in many businesses.

We'll have to see what Palm does for their ver 2 software.

But now, as it is, it's not a business phone.

The 700p was the best of all their models. The 700w was a disaster. The 750 didn't offer much new. The older 650 was horrible. The Centrino's were cheap phones for consumers.

So which great models were better than the 700p?
  • Reply 85 of 91
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    AT&T has fiber to a node, while Verizon does fiber to the home. Fiber to node is less expensive and faster to set up, as there is already coaxial cable to every home in most metropolitan neighborhoods. Fiber to the home is much more expensive as Verizon has to lay new cable in most every neighborhood it serves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Does AT&T have fiber ??

• Reply 86 of 91
    loneratolonerato Posts: 54member
    Quote:

AT&T has fiber to a node, while Verizon does fiber to the home. Fiber to node is less expensive and faster to set up, as there is already coaxial cable to every home in most metropolitan neighborhoods. Fiber to the home is much more expensive as Verizon has to lay new cable in most every neighborhood it serves.

AT&T has fiber as I use their Uverse service, but the Bells have had fiber for years. Verizon got almost all of their fiber from the MCI buyout.
  • Reply 87 of 91
    Quote:

AT&T does fiber to the home in new neighborhoods where it has to lay wire anyway. It's just in established ones that it only goes to the node.

But there's been some rumblings that they may be forced to go to the home as well after a while because of competitive disadvantage.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    For the majority of it's Uverse service AT&T has not been laying fiber to the home. While Verizon's entire service is fiber to the home.

Quote:

AT&T has fiber as I use their Uverse service, but the Bells have had fiber for years. Verizon got almost all of their fiber from the MCI buyout.

• Reply 89 of 91
    Yes I'm sure given time AT&T will be forced to provide fiber to the home, but the majority of it's service is currently to the node.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

AT&T does fiber to the home in new neighborhoods where it has to lay wire anyway. It's just in established ones that it only goes to the node.

But there's been some rumblings that they may be forced to go to the home as well after a while because of competitive disadvantage.

• Reply 90 of 91
    Quote:

Yes I'm sure given time AT&T will be forced to provide fiber to the home, but the majority of it's service is currently to the node.

Yeah, probably almost 90%.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    AND RETURNED IT YESTERDAY

why

battery dismal--he says he can watch as the battery goes down.

if battery has less than 20% life, even if plugged in (car, home etc) PHONE WONT WORK (that has to be some design flaw, or software mess, but why, your phone is useless at low battery)

he told me "i'm not spending 50 bucks on a second battery, when i change it, all data lost"

no video

no voice dialing

rut-row, palm has a big problem.