Apple introduces 13-inch MacBook Pro, cheaper MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 225
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    I would like to say to all those glossy haters. Have you played a movie like star trek on a glossy screen, as opposed to a matte screen?

For the great majority of everybody who uses their mac for games or movie playback, glossy is the number one choice.

Every time you complain you make yourselves look like one of those " floppy discs will never die crowd".

Luddite 101.

Glossy simply looks fantastic. And now with the new 9400 chip in the 13 in MBP, glossy will look fantastic while playing COD4.

I watch HULU all day long on my black MB 13IN, and from 15 feet away the glossy picture looks so nice. Apple is approaching untouchable in many area's that it is doing business in. I only wish more apple products were made or assembled in the USA.

Peace

Ps If you also love glossy respond to my post, with your own "how glossy saved my dog" story and you may win a free prize.
  • Reply 42 of 225
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

You really think that not having an expresscard slot singlehandedly makes a machine not "pro"?

People have been whining for months that they wanted a 15" MacBook.

They've been given a 15" MacBook, and as a bonus it also comes with FW800, 7 hours of battery, a better display and an SD card slot.

That's why I said that people got the 15" MacBook they wanted. It wasn't about the lack of EC or discrete graphics.
  • Reply 43 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Pro = expansion.

No it doesn’t. It means professional. A $300 Dell desktop is expandable but that doesn’t mean it’s a Pro machine. Notebooks by design are meant to be portable over expandability.
  • Reply 44 of 225
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Haha. Firewire is back - just as I asked for and predicted.

Finally I can buy one.

*high-fives Teck*

Wow. Firewire, and some serious price cuts to boot. Who slipped Steve the reasonable juice???

Plus, the iPhone 3GS now has almost every feature I ever asked for... MMS, voice-dialing, wider use of the landscape keyboard, video-recording, better camera resolution, etc etc... everything 'cept a good US carrier, a'course.

Bravo, Apple. Bravo, Steve.

• Reply 45 of 225
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1428140][QUOTE=infinitespecter;1428130]Pro = expansion.
    Quote:

No it doesn?t. It means professional. A $300 Dell desktop is expandable but that doesn?t mean it?s a Pro machine. Notebooks by design are meant to be portable over expandability.

My friend the only true pro is now the 17 in. And that is the only size a true pro user would ever need.

• Reply 46 of 225
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

People have been whining for months that they wanted a 15" MacBook.

They've been given a 15" MacBook, and as a bonus it also comes with FW800, 7 hours of battery, a better display and an SD card slot.

That's why I said that people got the 15" MacBook they wanted. It wasn't about the lack of EC or discrete graphics.

You didn't answer my question - what makes it not "pro"?
  • Reply 47 of 225
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1428140][QUOTE=infinitespecter;1428130]Pro = expansion.
    Quote:

No it doesn?t. It means professional. A $300 Dell desktop is expandable but that doesn?t mean it?s a Pro machine. Notebooks by design are meant to be portable over expandability.

When a 1" thick 10" screen Netbook that weighs less than a Macbook Air has an expresscard slot and an SD card slot, you lose any argument about portability over expandability. Notebooks FAR more portable than the 15" Macbook have FAR more expansion. It's a choice that Apple continues to make, ostensibly, to force people to upgrade more often or to upgrade to the higher model. It's ridiculous to sell a $2300 "Pro" Machine in 2009 that has less expansion capabilities than a $250 Netbook.
  • Reply 48 of 225
    [QUOTE=brucep;1428159][QUOTE=solipsism;1428140]
    Quote:

Pro = expansion.My friend the only true pro is now the 17 in. And that is the only size a true pro user would ever need.

These arguments just get more and more absurd. The only way what you say makes any sense is if the work being done doesn't require the user to be mobile. Pro = a hell of a lot more than sitting in one place editing video with Final Cut Pro.
  • Reply 49 of 225
    OMG, I feel so sorry for all the USB-fanboys desperately trying to sell their unibody Macbook on eBay, hoping to find a fool still willing to pay a decent price for their brick.

Who is laughing now?

FW400 is dead. Long live FW800!
  • Reply 50 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

My friend the only true pro is now the 17 in. And that is the only size a true pro user would ever need.

Quote:

When a 1" thick 10" screen Netbook that weighs less than a Macbook Air has an expresscard slot and an SD card slot, you lose any argument about portability over expandability. Notebooks FAR more portable than the 15" Macbook have FAR more expansion. It's a choice that Apple continues to make, ostensibly, to force people to upgrade more often or to upgrade to the higher model. It's ridiculous to sell a $2300 "Pro" Machine in 2009 that has less expansion capabilities than a $250 Netbook.

You people have a narrow idea of what a professional machine is. Why would a professional only use a 17” machine? What would a professional needing a 15” high-quality display with longevity need with a crappy 10” TN display on a crappy Atom powered notebook, simply because it has some port for a card? I can see it for a tech guy on the move who an plug in to outlets often, but for anything requiring actual remote usage and a nice quality display with good performance it won’t do the job. Pro means professional. If you can supply proof that Pro in any way refers to expandability I’m willing to hear you out.
  • Reply 51 of 225
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Basically this is a NON-event for the mac books /pros.

They removed some features from the 15" (and made it cheaper)

And renamed the 13" to "pro"

Still more or less same processor speeds,

Still same screen resolutions

Still same dvd drives

Still same enclosures

Still same graphic cards and speeds (WTF?)

As a comparison Sony just released a 13" SR with an ATI 4570, which almost equals a 9600 GT.

So much for 9 months of evolution.
  • Reply 52 of 225
    Quote:

These arguments just get more and more absurd. The only way what you say makes any sense is if the work being done doesn't require the user to be mobile. Pro = a hell of a lot more than sitting in one place editing video with Final Cut Pro.

I agree it’s absurd which is why i’m scratching your head as to why you think the Pro in MacBook Pro is Apple secretly referring to Expandability and why you think that the only professional occupation is FCP editing.

PS: Be a Pro, fix your posts.
  • Reply 53 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

Still same dvd drives

Still same enclosures

As a comparison Sony just released a 13" SR with an ATI 4570, which almost equals a 9600 GT.

Faster speeds, better displays, more RAM, more options, less money. Sounds like a win for the consumer to me.
  • Reply 54 of 225
    rlr33rlr33 Posts: 2member
    I just checked all the tech stats on the new line of macbook pros and am seriously confused. There is not a single model, from the 13" to the 17", that has more than one firewire port. This means the basic requirements of video editing do not exist in apples new notebooks. The creators of final cut pro have cut off the notebooks ability to log, capture and edit. How is this possible? I am using a five year old powerbook g4 that is more capable than the brand new, top of the line 17" macbook pro.
  • Reply 55 of 225
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Anyone notice the 13" Pro doesn't have a dedicated line-in?

(To make room for FireWire I suppose)
  • Reply 56 of 225
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    First, FW800 ON THE 13"! Excellent reversal of their idiotic removal of FW from the MB.

But what's up removing Expresscard/34 on the 15" and not adding it to the 13". If 1% are using it, then how is everyone else using 3G broadband? A big USB dongle sticking out of the side of their computer?? Talk about cumbersome.

Additionally, although FW800 mitigates the slow-as-molasses-external-drive-transfer problem, There won't be a way to upgrade to eSATA or USB3/FW3200 which will be out pretty soon.

(additionally, there are a lot of different niche uses for expresscard in different professional fields like scientific instrumentation hookup, pro audio/video hookups, expresscard->PCIe adapters that allow you to put desktop-size PCIe cards in a mobile shell and use them in the field, etc. Granted these will represent a small fraction of the user base, and they can always buy the 17")
  • Reply 57 of 225
    Quote:

Still same dvd drives

Still same enclosures

That's a pretty skewed perspective.

What did they remove on the 15 besides the expresscard slot?

And the 13 gained firewire and SD slot, now up to 8 gigs max ram, longer battery life, and cheaper. And faster is faster, not "more or less same".

Way to not mention any of the improvements and only list things that are the same (some of which were wrong).
  • Reply 58 of 225
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Faster speeds, better displays, more RAM, more options, less money. Sounds like a win for the consumer to me.

Same speeds,

same display resolutions,

same RAM (almost noone needs 8 GB),

only worse options, not better,

less money for a worse product.

It all seems like PC marketing to me. It is almost like you can feel Jobs has been away. Gone is the good old Apple "no-compromises and clear Line-ups"

Hello to a "dell" style webpage

(try for example to go to the store and customize a mac book pro 13": They are now hiding the graphics card!! WTF happened to clarity?
  • Reply 59 of 225
    anybody know why Apple can't use the integrated usb/esata all-in-one ports i'm seeing on PC's. I've seen on HP's and dell's, one port that accommodates usb or esata.
  • Reply 60 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rlr33 View Post

I just checked all the tech stats on the new line of macbook pros and am seriously confused. There is not a single model, from the 13" to the 17", that has more than one firewire port. This means the basic requirements of video editing do not exist in apples new notebooks. The creators of final cut pro have cut off the notebooks ability to log, capture and edit. How is this possible? I am using a five year old powerbook g4 that is more capable than the brand new, top of the line 17" macbook pro.

On machines with multiple ports, they are still on the same bus so the only advantage of those additional ports is convenience, not performance. Adding an extra port would give no performance increase over daisy chaining or using a FW hub.

And is it really impossible to do video editing with a FW hub or daisy chained?

Quote:

Same speeds,

same RAM (almost noone needs 8 GB),

Wrong and wrong. How is 2.26 ghz the same as 2ghz? And just because YOU don't need 8 gig doesn't mean max ram isn't improved.

Quote:

only worse options, not better,

That's flat out false. Sure, you wanted more improvements. But that's no reason to lie about these new machines to try and embellish your point of view.