iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 41 of 429
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I wonder what AT&T's policy will be for customers who purchased an iPhone 3G just a couple weeks ago?

"An early termination fee of $175 applies if service is terminated before the end of the contract term and will be reduced by $5 for each full month toward your minimum term that you complete. If phone is returned within 3 days, activation fee will be refunded. If phone is returned within 30 days in like-new condition with all components, early termination fee will be waived. All other charges apply." http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...plan-terms.jsp
  • Reply 42 of 429
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    "existing iPhone 3G customers will have to pay a $200 premium to upgrade to the latest model if they want one right away"

I don't get it. They signed a two year contract... Why should they get it cheap, considering the subsidy is coming out of their subscription fees and they will only be one year in?
  • Reply 43 of 429
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oh_arom View Post

Actually the terms are a lot worse then what is stated in this thread!!!

So if you got a new 3G contract last July you will be spending up to $699 plus $36 in upgrade/activation fees. I'm all set with that!!!

Um, you could just wait until the anniversary (a few weeks from now) and get the hoped-for price. Let's say you're 25 years old. Just spitballing here, I don't know you so I'll guess low and hope you're flattered. You've had that 3G less just short of a year. So you lived roughly 96% of your life without an iPhone of any sort. I believe you'll find that you'll be alive and well a few weeks from now, and you'll be all set with your new niftier iPhone. At a reasonable price.
  • Reply 44 of 429
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

I have been an AT&T customer since the early 90's--almost 20 years.

But I bet because of the network issues, the flubbed launches, tethering, MMS, and now this, in 2011 I will be using my iPhone 4G on the Verizon network.

There is no way that Apple privately is happy with AT&T. No way.

I gather bad luck follows you wherever you go.
  • Reply 45 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I agree with that. If they're not going to give you 2-year contract pricing, then you shouldn't have to sign a new 2-year contract. Pretty sleazy move, AT&T.

You're buying out your old contract for $200.

Then you put down $199 or $299 for the new iPhone 3GS that is subsidised by AT&T by around $400 - $500 from the price they pay Apple. Because of this subsidy, they want you to go on a 2 year contract so that they can spread the cost to you.

OR

You're paying $399 or $499 for the device, which is still subsidised, you've just paid half the subsidy. You still have one year of your existing subsidy to run, and this additional half a subsidy adds another year on - hence two years.
  • Reply 46 of 429
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    OR

You can pay full price. $599 for the 16 GB, $699 for the 32 GB. You won't have to get a new contact at all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

You're buying out your old contract for $200.

Then you put down $199 or $299 for the new iPhone 3GS that is subsidised by AT&T by around $400 - $500 from the price they pay Apple. Because of this subsidy, they want you to go on a 2 year contract so that they can spread the cost to you.

OR

You're paying $399 or $499 for the device, which is still subsidised, you've just paid half the subsidy. You still have one year of your existing subsidy to run, and this additional half a subsidy adds another year on - hence two years.

• Reply 47 of 429
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oh_arom View Post

That's actually how I found out DUDE!!! Go check yourself.....

Actually, I did. $499 for the 32GB version, and I purchased my iPhone 3G on the day it was released last year. So, a $200 premium, just like the article says.... uh, Dude.
  • Reply 48 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

OR

You can pay full price. $599 for the 16 GB, $699 for the 32 GB. You won't have to get a new contact at all.

That's not a bad deal if you can dump one year of an existing contract!
  • Reply 49 of 429
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Seems pretty fair to me. I recall they did similar upgrades last time around too.

It's good to have some options. You get a discount with a commitment.

A friend was told that existing iPhone 3G customers would not be sold any new iPhones that might come out even if they paid full price! Glad that was not really the case.
  • Reply 50 of 429
    Nelson says so about 1:30 into the Guided Tour.

And Nelson has never lied to us.

BTW the new camera behavior is very sweet, as is the instant video editing.

I've been using Griffin's voice memo and sync - they make no mention of syncing the new system-level voce memos - any clues?
  • Reply 51 of 429
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Exactly!

"Umm, why is there a small cloud hanging over your head?"
  • Reply 52 of 429
    adam1134adam1134 Posts: 15member
    They are allowing upgrades year after year. The 3G was released a month late so my first iPhone contract was 13 months, and the 2nd was 11. Averages out in my book. Let me upgrade now.
  • Reply 53 of 429
    I purchased the iPhone 3G in April of 2008. Therefore, I'm already 14 months into the 24 month contract. Perhaps AT&T could pro-rate, eh? I'd pay $399 for the 32 gig 3Gs. But $499? I don't think so...
  • Reply 54 of 429
    I signed a 2 year contract with my iphone last July, but for some reason, the ATT site says I can upgrade on 12/22/2009. What's the deal?
  • Reply 55 of 429
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by innov8ion View Post

I purchased the iPhone 3G in April of 2008. Therefore, I'm already 14 months into the 24 month contract. Perhaps AT&T could pro-rate, eh?

How did you manage that seeing as how it didn?t come out until July 11th 2008?
  • Reply 56 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I owned a 60s beetle, a Pinto, a Vega, a Chevette and a Mystique. I guess actually you could say I gave bad luck a lift whenever it needed one.
  • Reply 57 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How did you manage that seeing as how it didn’t come out until July 11th 2008?

July 2008 it is then.
  • Reply 58 of 429
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    i'll probably get a 32GB in the next month. i was hoping for a reduced data plan with a cap. my wife's 16GB uses less than 1GB per month
  • Reply 59 of 429
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

You can also cancel your account for 175 bucks and then get a new iphone 3g (S) for 199 299. Or this way you can actually sell your iphone and make another 150 to 200 bucks on top of that if you can jailbreak that bad boy.

What is your plan, give them a different social security number to try and prove you are a new customer? Good luck with that.
  • Reply 60 of 429
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Nelson says so about 1:30 into the Guided Tour.

And Nelson has never lied to us.

I like how he says how easy it is to open an app, click on the home button and then open another app. It?s like the Pre, but slower. I didn?t expect background apps to come right away, but I figure they must be working on them for this new device, assuming it does have 256MB RAM.