iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 101 of 429
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I wonder what AT&T's policy will be for customers who purchased an iPhone 3G just a couple weeks ago?

You don't really wonder, do you?

You will pay full retail if you want a new iPhone. Sorry!
  • Reply 102 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Yes but we will in turn agree to an additional year on our contract if they subsidize each next one - total $720 premium for both phones. So doesn't that keep things fair for them to let us buy it at new customer rates?

Nope.
  • Reply 103 of 429
    marc osxmarc osx Posts: 45member
    Apple are seriously taking the pi$$ out of UK users.

$99 against £342.50? What gives?!?!
  • Reply 104 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Does the $99 iPhone 3G still mandate a $30/mo data plan? Because the cost of the phone isn't the issue for non-iPhone owners; it's the $80/mo minimum phone bill.

Yes it does.

And yes, we all know the phone bill is the larger part of the cost.
  • Reply 105 of 429
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Notice how solipism and his ilk are missing with all these complaints goin' on. Where is he? Hiding under an AT&T pole?

There are too many children complaining about too many unthought out, make-beleive issues to comment on all of them. On days like this it?s best to mostly stand clear as they will cry themselves to sleep and never return. Unfortunately for the board you keep finding your way here.
  • Reply 106 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I can understand even if I don't like the price for upgrading. The carrier is subsidizing the cost. Ok. But the fact that we have to sign a new contract just because we want to upgrade the phone is ridiculous!

This just makes it too much of a hurdle for me.

You don't have to. You just have to accept the retail price, which is $499-699.
  • Reply 107 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianmac47 View Post

Why then wouldn't "existing" customers simply terminate their current contracts, pay $175 ETF (or less if they have a prorated ETF), and sign up as a new customer?

If you are okay with another credit check and, perhaps, having to get a new phone number then it’s not a big deal, and it’ll save you some money.
  • Reply 108 of 429
    danacamerondanacameron Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pixegen View Post

It's worse than that. I could live with the 12 months restriction from the iPhone 3G purchase date before I could upgrade to the iPhone 3GS. Since I bought my iPhone 3G on July 11 2008 (launch date), that would mean only waiting another month.

But because I've been a loyal Apple/AT&T customer, and I bought the original iPhone before I bought the iPhone 3G, I'm being made to wait 18 months instead of 12 before I'm offered the "unsubsidized" price of $199/$299. For me, that is 12/12/09.

So thanks AT&T. You just earned the animosity of someone who was generally not offended by your service (although your network doesn't compare to Verizon). I sure hope another US carrier doesn't land the iPhone soon, or you may find people remember crap like this for a long time.

As it is, I'll just have to make due with my iPhone3G until Christmas I guess.I guess I can spend that $300 elsewhere.

I'm in the same boat (as are, I imagine, many of us) and I couldn't agree with you more!
  • Reply 109 of 429
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

People have answered this - no one seems to like the answer though. AT&T doesn't have a 12 month upgrade or an 18 month upgrade policy, their policy is subjective to how long you have been a customer and how much business you're doing with them. As stated earlier - it's a complex algorithm that mere mortals need not understand. Before the iPhone I tried upgrading phones on AT&T, and some warm-hearted customer service rep took the time to explain this to me. If I had been a customer for a certain amount of time (he wouldn't say how long) or had spent a certain amount of money on the account (he wouldn't say how much) then I'd be eligible for an upgrade after 12 months ... if not, then I had to wait 18 months. It's been AT&T's policy long before Apple came along.

The best thing you can do is call AT&T customer service and POLITELY ask them why you don't qualify for an upgrade at 12 months. Who knows, maybe they'll be nice, understand you need to spend more money and let you slip through...

I'd disagree that "mere mortals need not understand". I very much feel the need to understand what, from the outside, appears to be a capricious and arbitrary policy. I think, in this situation, your choices are:
    1. Ask politely and find out if you can get discounted pricing after all

2. Sell your existing phone on eBay. You'll probably get at least the $200 difference out of it.

3. Realize that, by December 12, we'll be halfway to next year's WWDC and say "screw it".

• Reply 110 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

You're buying out your old contract for $200.

Then you put down $199 or $299 for the new iPhone 3GS that is subsidised by AT&T by around $400 - $500 from the price they pay Apple. Because of this subsidy, they want you to go on a 2 year contract so that they can spread the cost to you.

OR

You're paying $399 or $499 for the device, which is still subsidised, you've just paid half the subsidy. You still have one year of your existing subsidy to run, and this additional half a subsidy adds another year on - hence two years.

I really do fear for the future as a taxpayer in the USA. I wonder how many of the complainers on this forum (and I'm not talking about you Hattig, I'm talking about the type you replied to) I'll be subsidizing some form of entitlement or other for.
  • Reply 111 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by innov8ion View Post

I purchased the iPhone 3G in April of 2008. Therefore, I'm already 14 months into the 24 month contract. Perhaps AT&T could pro-rate, eh? I'd pay $399 for the 32 gig 3Gs. But $499? I don't think so...

Well, you'd pay $100 less than it costs. So I guess you go without!
  • Reply 112 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How did you manage that seeing as how it didn?t come out until July 11th 2008?

Making stuff up is always easier than going with the facts
  • Reply 113 of 429
    danacamerondanacameron Posts: 337member
    Quote:

People have answered this - no one seems to like the answer though. AT&T doesn't have a 12 month upgrade or an 18 month upgrade policy, their policy is subjective to how long you have been a customer and how much business you're doing with them. As stated earlier - it's a complex algorithm that mere mortals need not understand. Before the iPhone I tried upgrading phones on AT&T, and some warm-hearted customer service rep took the time to explain this to me. If I had been a customer for a certain amount of time (he wouldn't say how long) or had spent a certain amount of money on the account (he wouldn't say how much) then I'd be eligible for an upgrade after 12 months ... if not, then I had to wait 18 months. It's been AT&T's policy long before Apple came along.

I can understand better rewards for better customers (however it's defined), but it SHOULD BE defined so we know where we stand.

Quote:

The best thing you can do is call AT&T customer service and POLITELY ask them why you don't qualify for an upgrade at 12 months. Who knows, maybe they'll be nice, understand you need to spend more money and let you slip through...

Might be worth a try if I decide I really need the new 3GS hardware.
  • Reply 114 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I really do fear for the future as a taxpayer in the USA. I wonder how many of the complainers on this forum (and I'm not talking about you Hattig, I'm talking about the type you replied to) I'll be subsidizing some form of entitlement or other for.

Besides the complete lack of understanding of the standard contracts they signed, it?s being being turned into an "Apple/AT&T are screwing us over because of the iPhone? mentality. These people have to be young because I?d think that any critical thinking would lead you to the obvious conclusion of the why they aren?t eligible right now.
  • Reply 115 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

Then how do you explain the others who also bought their iPhones on July 12 and are eligible for discounted pricing on July 12? They've posted pictures from Apple's upgrade site that prove it. What's more, December 12, 2009 is 17 months from July 12, 2009, so even that isn't 18 months.

They pay more per month than you do so ATT is willing to give them some of that back. Makes you wish you weren't so stingy on the minutes don't it?
  • Reply 116 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Making stuff up is always easier than going with the facts

I have to hand it to Teckstud, he?s apparently created 100s of new accounts and have been manning them all day. Relentlessly and with an unwavering focus to twist lies into truth. Impressive.
  • Reply 117 of 429
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Besides the complete lack of understanding of the standard contracts they signed, it?s being being turned into an "Apple/AT&T are screwing us over because of the iPhone? mentality. These people have to be young because I?d think that any critical thinking would lead you to the obvious conclusion of the why they aren?t eligible right now.

It's like Apple and AT&T is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to buy the new iPhone
  • Reply 118 of 429
    ozboneozbone Posts: 5member
    There's something screwy going on here ...

I have an original iPhone, bought during the first few days after it was released. I experimented with placing an order for the 3G S at the Apple site, my account was checked, and it said I have to pay full retail !! For me that's a deal killer.
  • Reply 119 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oh_arom View Post

I just got off the phone with an ATT rep. He said it is not just the length of contract that determines when you get the discount. It is the total length of service, how much biz you do with them, etc.

That's shocking! You mean ATT is taking into account how much business you've given them in the past and how much profit they make from you when deciding what terms to give you?

Have you ever run a business of your own my friend?
  • Reply 120 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

I have never made a late payment. Ever. But, regardless, why do some people get better pricing earlier? No one seems to be able to answer that question definitively.

And no one on this site ever will be able to do so. But you can call ATT and ask them. Ready.... Go!