Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Comments

• Reply 261 of 380
    My computer's bluetooth has discovered my iPod , but is requesting a passkey. Anyone know how to get it?

Edit: I tried random numbers and it gave me 5 or 6 digit number to compare with the ipod. Unfortunately, it didn't 'pair' with the ipod.

Edit: 2nd attempt successful, but 'not connected' Don't know what I'm trying to achieve, but at least MacBook Pro recognizes device(ipod)

Edit 3- Tried to connect via shortcut in title bar for blue tooth, attempted to 'browse' files. 'Service not available.' Still, it's kinda cool that the computer even recognizes the ipod. I wonder if bluetooth syncing is down the road. Wireless syncing? Or, is it too slow? Anyone?

Conclusion: Devices will 'pair', but not connect. No support yet. Perhaps future update3.1 or Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 262 of 380
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    As quoted by CNET.

THERE YOU HAVE IT- ALL IN A NUTSHELL: "Call quality and 3G reception continue to be imperfect"

NO iPhone for me.

Viva la Touch!
  • Reply 263 of 380
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Seems kind of obvious that Apple's servers would get hammered with this release. I understand that people want to play, but it seems to me Apple should have learned from last year and staged the release by country or something. Perhaps made iTunes manage the load by some sort of scheduling/queueing. Also I think the 3GS release is too close to the 3.0 upgrade.

Apple does so many great things, but still don't get the cloud. Also they don't seem to appreciate that enterprise will be judging Apple by their ability to execute these kinds of changes smoothly.

Are we learning yet?
  • Reply 264 of 380
    iphoniaciphoniac Posts: 23member
    [Important: For iPhone 3G!!!!!!!!!!]

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....1_Restore.ipsw

Use that link to get to a direct download of the 3.0 software. I don't think you'll have the same problems as with iTunes, but who knows. So, once you have it downloaded, go into iTunes and click "Restore" while holding the "Option" key down and search for it and select the file. If that doesn't work for you...Godspeed!
  • Reply 265 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post

I have a 3G and it runs more quickly than that switch used on in Safari.

I just want to know about that battery icon.

Safari also doesn't refresh page as often when you jump between apps. It will if you max out the RAM with many heavy pages, but I rarely have had it happen with 2 or 3 pages open.
  • Reply 266 of 380
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

As quoted by CNET.

THERE YOU HAVE IT- ALL IN A NUTSHELL: "Call quality and 3G reception continue to be imperfect"

NO iPhone for me.

Viva la Touch!

And it will always be imperfect. Heck, FM still fades out at times. In my area, I can say that the iPhone has been the most reliable device that I have owned, and it's pretty hilly here in Austin.
  • Reply 267 of 380
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

And it will always be imperfect. Heck, FM still fades out at times. In my area, I can say that the iPhone has been the most reliable device that I have owned, and it's pretty hilly here in Austin.

If only it were that simple and that was all they meant.
  • Reply 268 of 380
    Has anyone got a feeling of whether iPhone OS 3.0 improves fps in games over iPhone OS 2.2.1 for existing hardware?
  • Reply 269 of 380
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Yep! Download wasn't painful, but I keep getting the same error also.

My iPhone has been updated with 3.0 after unplugging the phone and re-plugging and retrying couple of times. Off to checking out the features.
  • Reply 270 of 380
    iphoniaciphoniac Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

That link should work for any phone. You may have to do a full restore on your phone.

Yeah, I eventually found on some random forum somewhere else that you have to hold down the power and home screen button for a good 6 seconds, like normal to reboot it, but keep holding down and it will go into restore mode.
  • Reply 271 of 380
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If only it were that simple and that was all they meant.

You should live where i do: Here technology (in products and infrastructure) work the way they are advertised (at least for me). It makes choosing which product to buy really easy. Plus everything seems to live forever. I have to buy new things because of a compulsory need to have the latest connected thing.

For example:

Iphone paired with

Oakley rokr pro sunglasses for summer

Burton Audex jacket for winter

both provide great music and signal from the waves to the powder.

Now I have all these electronics still doing what they were meant to do gathering dust. Life can be expensive, but it is fun as hell!

I have already tested both with the new 3.0 release (without the previously necessary dock connection for music) and they work great!!
  • Reply 272 of 380
    daversdavers Posts: 1member
    Don't think this has been mentioned yet.

In the last iPhone Software Update, wasn't Street View added to the Maps Application? It wasn't added to the iPod Touch Software cause it was considered a new feature (and therefore we'd have to pay for it)

Well...Street View is now available in the Maps Application.

Another new feature for those wondering if they should dish out $10.

To tell you the truth, I think Spotlight alone is worth the $10. I have been wishing for a year for the ability to search my iPod.
  • Reply 273 of 380
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Even the Apple Support Forum is down now. I guess they needed those servers for Activations, or, more likely, they got hammered with thousands of "can't reach activation servers" posts and are trying to keep a lid on it.

My Apple TV is also unable to connect with the iTunes Store, so, of course, it won't sync with my computer now. What a mess!
  • Reply 274 of 380
    hypermarkhypermark Posts: 152member
    A couple of quick comments. One, I just updated my iPod touch (gen 1) no problems. The shake to shuffle on music is kind of cool, the unified search is nice (my kids will like). Haven't played with copy/paste yet but that was a big deal. As another noted, the Google Maps update is sweet, and I liked the workflow ease of looking in my immediate area, searching for a restaurant by name, seeing it on the map, clicking, seeing street view and then being able to add to address book.

All of that said, I want to put a bow around what others have noted. This release is somewhat akin to a "block the kick" by Apple to keep developers from evening contemplating developing for Android, Pre or Blackberry so most of the feature adds are to drive developers to do even cooler stuff.

That may seem like a "SO WHAT" if you just plunked down $9.95 for the touch upgrade, as I did, but when then next 50K apps roll out, and a quarter of them take advantage of things like hardware accessory support within apps; multi-player gaming; levels/virtual goods, the new mapping and media APIs, you will be a happy camper.

If you care about such things, here is a post that I wrote on the topic:

ANALYSIS - iPhone 3.0: Block the Kick Strategy

http://bit.ly/ANdMz

Final note on the bemoaning re server delays, etc. It's nature of the beast, when 10M people (a guess, figuring 25% out of 40M devices) simultaneously try to access and download a big fat binary, expect delays. If that freaks you out, wait until tomorrow. It's not like they will run out of software. :-)

Cheers,

Mark
  • Reply 275 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypermark View Post

Final note on the bemoaning re server delays, etc. It's nature of the beast, when 10M people (a guess, figuring 25% out of 40M devices) simultaneously try to access and download a big fat binary, expect delays. If that freaks you out, wait until tomorrow. It's not like they will run out of software. :-)

It's not the download that is being delayed, it's the simple activation lookup that's failing. A tiny amount of data compared to a firmware download, yet it's all effed up.
  • Reply 276 of 380
    hypermarkhypermark Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

It's not the download that is being delayed, it's the simple activation lookup that's failing. A tiny amount of data compared to a firmware download, yet it's all effed up.

Fair enough. Ultimately, all of these disparate functions are broken down into separate procedural nubs that then are thrown against a cluster of servers. If/when at any point along the line you hit a bottleneck, something other than success occurs.

Sounds almost ridiculous for me to say it but if they forced a virtual reservation to get a download slot (sorry, next available download is at 4PM PT), maybe they could better keep up with demand and reward people who want to "wait in line" for the release.

Either way, it's frustrating, but nature of the beast. The upgrade to 2.0 took me almost entire day to finally toggle over to download.
  • Reply 277 of 380
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    Little frustrating of a day but I got through it and I expected problems

I couldn't authorize for several hours....until 4pm

Then I couldn't access then App Store for an hour or so

Overall, nothing major
  • Reply 278 of 380
    So, just what features actually work on 3G iPhones? I'm finding that quite a few features aren't there and apparently will only work on 3GS phones, like voice commands. How is it that every other underpowered smartphone has voice commands, but the iPhone can't do it unless you get the latest, fastest hardware? The Google Search app offers voice recognition and everything, yet Apple left that feature off for 3G phones, in addition to video, push notifications, etc. etc.

Even the Voice Memos app from Apple sucks. The Recorder app that was available last year in the App Store is a lot better.

I think Apple put a little too much hype into this release, especially for previous iPhone owners. Disappointing.
  • Reply 279 of 380
    tmedia1tmedia1 Posts: 104member
    where do notes get synced?
  • Reply 280 of 380
    robmackrobmack Posts: 10member
    I am happy with all the new features but I don't like how you can only copy a full sms bubble rather than just a piece of text from the bubble. Does this seem limited to anyone else considering you can select parts of text in every other app?