Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Comments

• Reply 321 of 380
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Do you ever run out of stupid, frk'n excuses for anything Apple doesn't do right?

I think any problems that have been reported are totally 'rush hour' related. I updated my phone from home in just a few minutes on TW Cable at 3:00 PM Pacific - no issues what so ever.
  • Reply 322 of 380
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Abster2Core said:

Every day I drive into the downtown. If I leave at 6:30 am, I beat the rushhour and it only takes me 20 minutes to cover the 15 miles. If I wait till 9:00 am, it takes me a little longer, i.e., 36 minutes, but I am late for work.

If I decide to wait thirty minutes in the morning and leave at 7:00 am, I am in the middle of rushhour and it takes me an hour and a half to cover the same distance.

Now I obvious have a few choices. One of them is swearing at the guy in front of me for not going fast enough. But one of them is not whining and demanding that my local government build more roads to cover the busiest times of day so I don't have to leave so early in the morning.

But them, it is as some have declared a 'right' that one should be able to get anything they want just by asking for it. Just like any spoiled brat cries when somebody takes his toys.

Apples servers didn't go into meltdown. Whiners did. Too bad we just can't put them in the middle of the road that I drive on every morning.

=================

well said! I updated mid-afternoon, it proceeded smoothly. I had to sync a second time to get everything in order on my phone.
  • Reply 323 of 380
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    There is one definitive bug that I can pin down:

In Maps: The step by step directions have a purple circle to highlight the area where the step takes place. I'm sure you've all seen/used it.

In 3.0 there appears to be a bug that misplaces that purple highlight after the user has switched between "location tracking" and direction step viewing (ie: going back and forth between hitting the blue location button, and hitting the directional arrows in the top right).

The workaround is to 1) re-search for the destination address, 2) re-ask for directions To/From, 3) follow the steps as normal.

Switching to current location view, or leaving and returning to Maps, seems to cause this out of sync purple highlight.
  • Reply 324 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

My 2nd gen touch (32gb) with 2.2.2 sees that the update is available, but clicking "update" from within iTunes just loops me back to the, "an update is available" (nothing installs).

Perhaps the servers are overwhelmed with nerds like me trying to be the first to download, first to comment....?

You (the iPod Touch user) need to buy it like an app off iTunes.
  • Reply 325 of 380
    A lot of commenters are betting and begging to the Dev Team, but *The Cat* has beefed up the security of iPhone Os and nobody seems to be noticing it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3639

That is the official Apple support article relating to iPhone OS security in 3.0. It seems to me that some of the prior jailbreak methods will have to be "improved".

I had no idea the "cat and mouse" game was so much like chess? will there ever be a CM or just a SM? or? ??/ \
  • Reply 326 of 380
    GeoLocation for voice notes!!!!!111
  • Reply 327 of 380
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Every day I drive into the downtown. If I leave at 6:30 am, I beat the rushhour and it only takes me 20 minutes to cover the 15 miles. If I wait till 9:00 am, it takes me a little longer, i.e., 36 minutes, but I am late for work.

If I decide to wait thirty minutes in the morning and leave at 7:00 am, I am in the middle of rushhour and it takes me an hour and a half to cover the same distance.

Now I obvious have a few choices. One of them is swearing at the guy in front of me for not going fast enough. But one of them is not whining and demanding that my local government build more roads to cover the busiest times of day so I don't have to leave so early in the morning.

But them, it is as some have declared a 'right' that one should be able to get anything they want just by asking for it. Just like any spoiled brat cries when somebody takes his toys.

Apples servers didn't go into meltdown. Whiners did. Too bad we just can't put them in the middle of the road that I drive on every morning.

You are clearly one of those people who loves to hear themselves talk. Yawn.
  • Reply 328 of 380
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Actually, he has a very good point.
  • Reply 329 of 380
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Finally, you got something right.
  • Reply 330 of 380
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    took around 45 minutes to upgrade last night and no problems activating. and after being around MS since 1997 i was expecting the worst
  • Reply 331 of 380
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No problems at all.

I wonder why some people seem to have problems when upgrades of some kind are installed, but most don't. This is true for computers as well.

There must be something specific to your phone and computer that is causing this. I wish I knew what.

last night i was reading how you can use an iphone on a cheapo data plan without jailbreaking. you put another SIM in there and upload a custom APN file which is what communicates with AT&T to let you on the network.

there were reports yesterday of people with non-iphone SIMS being kicked off the data network until someone found a fix by editing the APN file
  • Reply 332 of 380
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple isn't the only company that has these issues.

It's a question of a few hours mess for some, vs a few hundred million $ of capacity. Which do you think companies will choose?

By tomorrow, these problems will have gone away.

Meanwhile, many of us have upgraded without problems, and have been using our phones since the early afternoon.

I am one of the many without problems. Completed the entire upgrade process in 20 minutes a couple of hours ago. Did my first copy-and-paste as I was configuring MMS. Very intuitive and well worth the wait. MMS works fine. Nice to be able to finally get landscape keyboard in mail. Currently doing some safari speed tests. Overall, thank you Apple for listening, for making our existing phone better through software updates and for doing so free of charge.
  • Reply 333 of 380
    sudzsudz Posts: 10member
    Finally the Iphone is where it should have been on release date with OS3.0.

Best features have got to be MMS and Tethering hands down.

MMS works like a charm, and tethering is just awesome. It's unfortunate that our friends to the south are not yet able to take advantage of both these features (without jailbreaking), however once AT&T does support it en masse you'll just love the versatility it gives all users.

I tethered both a desktop at home, and a laptop while driving to a lacrosse game (kids using for surfing in back) and it worked phenomenally. For students, imagine now you just need a laptop and you have internet access at home, on the road, at school, everywhere and all sharing the same cell line and not having additional bills to pay.

Only feature i miss now is the ability to take movie clips, hardware limitation and you need the Iphone 3Gs for that. There must be some kind of third party app for it.....let me know what you are using?
  • Reply 334 of 380
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Highly unlikely. A camera will be the new feature for the next Touch. Any mic would cut into iPhone sales as it would become an extremely easy Skype tool. Apple never, ever gives you everything that you think you should have. You of all people should know that by now.

I have a bluetooth question.

So I tried to pair my bluetooth headset with the ipod touch G2 this morning and its asking me for a pin number.

A pin number?

Where am I supposed to find that now?
  • Reply 335 of 380
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

So I tried to pair my bluetooth headset with the ipod touch G2 this morning and its asking me for a pin number.

A pin number?

quite easily by looking up the headset's manufacturer. It would take all 20 seconds...longer than it took to post your ???????

or just try 0000 for the pin, as theres a good chance that will work
  • Reply 336 of 380
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

A pin number?

You can find the "personal identification number number" in the manual for the headset. (unless you've changed it from the factory default)
  • Reply 337 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

You can find the "personal identification number number" in the manual for the headset. (unless you've changed it from the factory default)

I figured it out. I used the factory default 0000 and it works.

But, the sony ericsson hbh-is800 sucks! it works all right but there is no volume controls. I assumed I would be able to control volume from the ipod touch like I've been able to before using a bluetooth dock connector/transmitter for other units.

But now, with the onboard bluetooth the ipod touch locks volume control. So now I'm stuck with a headset with the volume cranked all the way to maximum!

Gawd!!!
  • Reply 338 of 380
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:

But now, with the onboard bluetooth the ipod touch locks volume control. So now I'm stuck with a headset with the volume cranked all the way to maximum!

Gawd!!!

So, you're saying that when you use the up/down controls on the iPod the volume isn't adjusted?

My bluetooth headset has a hardware volume control, but I leave it all the way up and just use my iPhone volume control and that works fine.
  • Reply 339 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

So, you're saying that when you use the up/down controls on the iPod the volume isn't adjusted?

My bluetooth headset has a hardware volume control, but I leave it all the way up and just use my iPhone volume control and that works fine.

I don't know who to blame here. I should blame sony because they should have known that since their product would be smallest bluetooth headset on the market they would get a lot of attention. So, they shoulda added volume controls.

They didn't. Hey, fine I said.

I thought instead I would rely on the ipod touches volume controls. But noooooooooooooooo-ohhhhhhh! They lock volume controls in bluetooth mode. Imagine my horror and disappointment.

And yep, even the volume control hardware buttons on the ipod touch don't work.

So I'm stuck with a useless $168.00 set of headphones I can't use because the volume is stuck on maximum volume "make the user deaf" mode.
  • Reply 340 of 380
    My iPhone does not like the new os I knew it would be hell when i had to uninstall then reinstall itunes... (yes I had the new 8.2) now only 7 or so of my apps work and I cant update them b/c the app store opens then freezes on the loading wheel any one else have this problem?