Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Comments

• Reply 281 of 380
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

where do notes get synced?

You need 10.5.7; think sync to Mail on your computer.
  • Reply 282 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

So, just what features actually work on 3G iPhones? I'm finding that quite a few features aren't there and apparently will only work on 3GS phones, like voice commands. How is it that every other underpowered smartphone has voice commands, but the iPhone can't do it unless you get the latest, fastest hardware? The Google Search app offers voice recognition and everything, yet Apple left that feature off for 3G phones, in addition to video, push notifications, etc. etc.

Even the Voice Memos app from Apple sucks. The Recorder app that was available last year in the App Store is a lot better.

I think Apple put a little too much hype into this release, especially for previous iPhone owners. Disappointing.

I'm pretty happy with the update. If I didn't need video for my work then I might just stay with my current 3G, but I am upgrading tomorrow, hopefully.
  • Reply 283 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robmack View Post

I am happy with all the new features but I don't like how you can only copy a full sms bubble rather than just a piece of text from the bubble. Does this seem limited to anyone else considering you can select parts of text in every other app?

I see your point, but after you paste it you can then cut the section you want. Or if you start the SMS forward you can then cut as you wish. Not ideal, but at the workaround is quick.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

You need 10.5.7; think sync to Mail on your computer.

Yes it does. Voice Notes are a bit trickier. They are saved to your music section of iTunes with a date/time stamp as the file name. A new playlist will be automatically created for the memos. They are also in ALAC with no option to adjust codec, and by extension the bitrate, on the device.
  • Reply 284 of 380
    robmackrobmack Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see your point, but after you paste it you can then cut the section you want. Or if you start the SMS forward you can then cut as you wish. Not ideal, but at the workaround is quick.

Yeah, that is a workaround. I was copying into a Note, selecting the bit I wanted, then pasting it into Safari.

I noticed this limitation because my SIM does not support MMS (work SIM) so I needed to get the details out of the SMS and into Safari.
  • Reply 285 of 380
    Quote:

So, just what features actually work on 3G iPhones? I'm finding that quite a few features aren't there and apparently will only work on 3GS phones, like voice commands. How is it that every other underpowered smartphone has voice commands, but the iPhone can't do it unless you get the latest, fastest hardware? The Google Search app offers voice recognition and everything, yet Apple left that feature off for 3G phones, in addition to video, push notifications, etc. etc.

Even the Voice Memos app from Apple sucks. The Recorder app that was available last year in the App Store is a lot better.

I think Apple put a little too much hype into this release, especially for previous iPhone owners. Disappointing.

1) What is it about Voice Memos thy you find inferior? I've used some of the App Store options and I've been using Apple's app for 3 mints now. I find it superior in every way. From the works, to te audio quality to syncing.

2) I have no idea what the Google app's voice commands and underpowered cellphones have to do with the 3GS apparantly not have the HW to allow for a physcial button voice control operation. If you are implying that Apple is holding back features to push 3GS sales, then you have to ask yourself: Why release any new apps, features or even a new OS to phones going ino their 3rd year?
  • Reply 286 of 380
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Apple is so stupid! I'm sure what's going to be the news about this iPhone 3.0 release is that no one could activate or use their phones because Apple's servers went into meltdown. Apple hasn't done a single iPhone release yet without activation problems. When will they learn??

Every day I drive into the downtown. If I leave at 6:30 am, I beat the rushhour and it only takes me 20 minutes to cover the 15 miles. If I wait till 9:00 am, it takes me a little longer, i.e., 36 minutes, but I am late for work.

If I decide to wait thirty minutes in the morning and leave at 7:00 am, I am in the middle of rushhour and it takes me an hour and a half to cover the same distance.

Now I obvious have a few choices. One of them is swearing at the guy in front of me for not going fast enough. But one of them is not whining and demanding that my local government build more roads to cover the busiest times of day so I don't have to leave so early in the morning.

But them, it is as some have declared a 'right' that one should be able to get anything they want just by asking for it. Just like any spoiled brat cries when somebody takes his toys.

Apples servers didn't go into meltdown. Whiners did. Too bad we just can't put them in the middle of the road that I drive on every morning.
  • Reply 287 of 380
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    I have a question please I need help!

Since no one is responding to my thread I'm gonna ask it here.

I have the ipod touch G2 and I wanted to know if I would be able to use OS 3.0's voice control feature. Could I?

I have a new bluetooth headphones I want to try out with it with the newly activated bluetooth on the ipod touch G2 and I would also like to use the mic built into the headset. It would be so cool if I could use it to voice activate playlists and such.

Well, so far since after updating the ipod touch with 3.0 software I don't see the voice control app. So I guess not then?

But why do I see an icon for voice memos? What would be the point then of having that app at all?

Help?
  • Reply 288 of 380
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Who makes the best stereo bluetooth headset? Anybody?

There are a few to check out for the new gen bluetooth headsets.

jaybirdgear is one.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...nes-review.php

Also, check out the sony ericsson hbh-si800 Its brand new, only 4 hours of talk/standby, and yes a bit pricey, but its the size of regular earbuds...smallest on the market. I just had to try it. Bought it today.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/son...-33528991.html

The sony one I got for myself despite the lowish battery time because its perfect for me for jogging/running and for an hour commute to and from work. Plus I got an extra charger so I can charge it at work.

Strangely enough, I also have the jaybird one. I like it and it has more talk/music time but I think the wire that acts as an antenna almost is sorta bit touchy imo.

Sony also makes another one that u can plug any earbuds into and is the size of two AA batteries stacked on top of each other. So you would plug any headphones u got into the unit and the unit then receives a signal from your bluetooth enabled player. 7 to 8 hours of battery time for that one. Go on sonystyle.com to find it.

Anyways, you got options. Go try one of em.
  • Reply 289 of 380
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I have the ipod touch G2 and I wanted to know if I would be able to use OS 3.0's voice control feature.

1) Voice Control is an iPhone 3GS feature, not a 3.0 feature. It outlines what is included in 3.0 on the apple site.

Quote:

What would be the point then of having that app at all?

2) To quickly record memos et cetera, then either MMS the recordings, or sync to the iTunes playlist, as stated above.
  • Reply 290 of 380
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Every day I drive into the downtown. If I leave at 6:30 am, I beat the rushhour and it only takes me 20 minutes to cover the 15 miles. If I wait till 9:00 am, it takes me a little longer, i.e., 36 minutes, but I am late for work.

If I decide to wait thirty minutes in the morning and leave at 7:00 am, I am in the middle of rushhour and it takes me an hour and a half to cover the same distance.

Now I obvious have a few choices. One of them is swearing at the guy in front of me for not going fast enough. But one of them is not whining and demanding that my local government build more roads to cover the busiest times of day so I don't have to leave so early in the morning.

But them, it is as some have declared a 'right' that one should be able to get anything they want just by asking for it. Just like any spoiled brat cries when somebody takes his toys.

Apples servers didn't go into meltdown. Whiners did. Too bad we just can't put them in the middle of the road that I drive on every morning.

Do you ever run out of stupid, frk'n excuses for anything Apple doesn't do right?
  • Reply 291 of 380
    Quote:

There are a few to check out for the new gen bluetooth headsets.

jaybirdgear is one.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...nes-review.php

Also, check out the sony ericsson hbh-si800 Its brand new, only 4 hours of talk/standby, and yes a bit pricey, but its the size of regular earbuds...smallest on the market. I just had to try it. Bought it today.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/son...-33528991.html

The sony one I got for myself despite the lowish battery time because its perfect for me for jogging/running and for an hour commute to and from work. Plus I got an extra charger so I can charge it at work.

Strangely enough, I also have the jaybird one. I like it and it has more talk/music time but I think the wire that acts as an antenna almost is sorta bit touchy imo.

Sony also makes another one that u can plug any earbuds into and is the size of two AA batteries stacked on top of each other. So you would plug any headphones u got into the unit and the unit then receives a signal from your bluetooth enabled player. 7 to 8 hours of battery time for that one. Go on sonystyle.com to find it.

Anyways, you got options. Go try one of em.

Thanks much. I will go into the Sony Style store tomorrow and check out what they have.

The one you have looks like there is still a small cord?
  • Reply 292 of 380
    Quote:

I have a question please I need help!

Since no one is responding to my thread I'm gonna ask it here.

I have the ipod touch G2 and I wanted to know if I would be able to use OS 3.0's voice control feature. Could I?

I have a new bluetooth headphones I want to try out with it with the newly activated bluetooth on the ipod touch G2 and I would also like to use the mic built into the headset. It would be so cool if I could use it to voice activate playlists and such.

Well, so far since after updating the ipod touch with 3.0 software I don't see the voice control app. So I guess not then?

But why do I see an icon for voice memos? What would be the point then of having that app at all?

Help?

It must work and record, provided you have the special headphone w mic attached. I pushed that App all the way to the last page on my Touch- doubt I'll ever use it. I realy only wanted the bluetooth for headphones but now have to find a good pair. Other than that this $10 upgrade purchase is rather lame.
  • Reply 293 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akoeltz View Post

Video record is a hardware limitation, not software......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's based on hardware, therefore the 3G S.

Interesting.... as there are several video recorders working on jailbroken 3G phones..
  • Reply 294 of 380
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Do you ever run out of stupid, frk'n excuses for anything Apple doesn't do right?

In your opinion what did apple do wrong????? They didn't promise that everybody would have the software updated right after they made it available, right? They made it available. Nothing stopping people waiting till tomorrow. It was pretty obvious there'd be millions of kids trying to download and activate right after its release.
  • Reply 295 of 380
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Apple isn't the only company that has these issues.

It's a question of a few hours mess for some, vs a few hundred million $ of capacity. Which do you think companies will choose?

By tomorrow, these problems will have gone away.

Meanwhile, many of us have upgraded without problems, and have been using our phones since the early afternoon.
  • Reply 296 of 380
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lizardhowson View Post

Interesting.... as there are several video recorders working on jailbroken 3G phones..

Yes, very badly, as has been shown many times.
  • Reply 297 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes, very badly, as has been shown many times.

They are horrid. The reviews suggest the video on the 3GS is actually pretty good. Hopefully I'll be able to find out tomorrow!
  • Reply 298 of 380
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    So where's this iDisk app we've been hearing about?
  • Reply 299 of 380
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:

it's clearly marked on the apple website as "coming soon" -

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3...-features.html
  • Reply 300 of 380
    Quote:

Maybe in a future update. I see no physcial reason why all the iPhones can’t get this.