Review roundup: Apple's new iPhone 3G S

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple this afternoon lifted its embargo on the new iPhone 3G S and several reviews from well-respected journalists are now online critiquing the highly-anticipated iPhone 3G successor, which goes on sale this Friday, June 19 at Apple, AT&T, Best Buy and Walmart retail stores.

Generally speaking, each of the reviewers concluded that Apple has taken one of the most revolutionary products of modern times and made it even better. Some, however, offer different assessments of the handset's new camera functions, though all agree that new Voice Control features leave much to be desired.

The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg

Speed is the most important feature. Apps launch quicker, webpages load faster, and so does the camera.

Cellular-data speeds were about the same but WiFi speeds improved 30-50%.

The iPhone 3G S's battery never showed signs of running dry before the end of Walt's day, even though he was using it excessively for testing purposes, unlike the iPhone 3G's which would often fall into the red zone.

The new 3-megapixel camera worked well, but Walt doesn't think the pictures it took were dramatically better than those on the iPhone 3G, "and it can't compete with phones like Nokia's new $700 N97, which has a 5-megapixel camera with zoom."

Video recording works well, but the iPhone doesn't take HD movies and its quality pales in comparison to the popular $229 Flip pocket camcorder.

Voice control isn't perfect but works most of the time.

Compass isn't that important but works well and can orient maps in the direction you're heading.

The iPhone 3G crashed twice during Walt's tests: once when using voice control and a second time when downloading a TV show from iTunes mobile.

Find My iPhone, Voice Memos, and Push Notification each worked well, but Wi-Fi Auto-Authentication failed repeatedly.

"Bottom Line: Both the new iPhone and iPhone OS are packed with features that make a great product even better. But, for many users, the software may be enough of a boost to keep them from buying the new model."

USA Today's Edward Baig

"The changes make an already marvelous device that much better."

Voice Control is less than perfect, especially in noisy environments.

The iPhone still doesn't multi-task as well as Palm's new Pre.

Shooting video is "dirt simple," and while it's not HD, the VGA quality of the videos is "quite decent."

However, Ed accidently tapped the Trim button in the on-screen video editor and lost scenes he wanted to keep.

The camera performs well for close-ups in still shots, but there's still no solution for low-light situations.

Spotlight search was cited by Ed as his favorite new feature.

"The 3.0 software and 3G S phone may not check off everything on your iPhone wish list. But they give iPhone loyalists plenty of new reasons to celebrate."

Chicago Sun-Times' Andy Ihnatko

"The 'S' in 3G S does indeed stand for Speed, which is something that this model communicated pretty damned effectively during my first few hours with the machine."

In San Francisco, web page downloads "flowed in so quickly" on the iPhone 3G S that Andy had no need to "find something to do" while pages finished rendering, like is often the case on his iPhone 3G and other smartphones.

"Safari on the iPhone 3G S seems as interactive as a desktop browser."

"Gaming has been kicked up a notch; intensive 3D games are elevated from 'Wow, that?s a great frame rate for a phone!' to simply 'Wow.'"

Battery life shows noticeable improvements over the iPhone 3G, though Andy still recommends that power users cary an extra battery pack.

The close-focusing feature of the iPhone 3G S' new 3-megapixel camera is good enough to open the door to "porting some of the coolest Google Android Phone software, such as apps that can image the barcode off of a store item and instantly tell you where you can buy it online for cheaper."

The Camera app?s new ?tap to focus? feature stands out amongst all other smartphone camera apps.

The file size of each individual video recording is capped at 2 gigabytes, which translates to about an hour?s worth of video per clip.

Even though it's "still just a phone camera" the video quality is "impressively smooth and natural" and the sound quality "is practically astonishing when you consider that this microphone was designed to pick up sounds spoken directly into it from three inches away."

Using the new Voice Control app, "nearly every command that involved the name of an artist or song was misinterpreted."

Existing car integration kits also don't work well with Voice Control.

The compass, though currently limited in its use, will inspire many new apps but has already "boosted Google Maps into the Giga-awesome range."

"The new iPhone is more than its individual features. It?s a convincing vote of faith. Even if a current 3G owner decides to wait until his or her contract expires so they can buy the next-generation at a good incentive price, there?s little chance that they?ll switch to anything else in the interim."

The New York Time's David Pogue

"It looks identical to last year?s iPhone, but its faster circuitry makes a huge difference."

The color and clarity of photos taken by the new 3MP camera "are definitely improved, especially in low light."

Although the video function of the new camera tends to "blow out" the bright areas, the end result is "darned close" to what you'd get from a proper digital camera or a Flip camcorder.

However, the ability to trim photos via the iPhone's touch screen is much better than what you'd find on a digital camera.

In Google Maps, the new compass function delivers an indicator beam, showing which way you?re facing on the map. "No longer must you walk in a circle, staring at the iPhone map like an idiot, just to figure out which way is up."

The screens new oleophobic coating "lets you wipe away fingerprints with a single rub on your clothes" and "really works to keep the iPhone looking new longer."

Battery life is about 25% longer than the iPhone 3G.

"All of these changes make it much harder to resist the iPhone on intellectual, feature-counting grounds. The new iPhone doesn?t just catch up to its rivals ? it vaults a year ahead of them."

Wired's Steven Levy

"You don't need a stopwatch to notice the new phone is zippier than its predecessor."

Voice Control did better at figuring out the people Steve want to call rather than the music he wanted to play.

Still, "Voice Control is easier than fumbling through the iPod menus, a difficult task while walking and a dangerous one while driving."

Landscape keyboard mode is available in more apps and "makes Apple's 'soft' keyboard much less prone to constant mistypings."

Voice memos, parental controls, and Safari auto-fill work nicely.

"In short, the 3GS offers a boatload of improvements on the iPhone 3G with no real downside and the same price. Brand-new iPhone customers should have no hesitation before buying: Considering the huge variety of apps, there's no better smartphone to buy today."

For existing iPhone customers, however, Voice Control, the new camera, and the speed boost may not be a huge sacrifice to go without.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    bobbytedbobbyted Posts: 13member
    So I had just sent in a story idea noting that the "exception" had been lifted by UPS... No sooner do I hit send than a story breaks that says the embargo was lifted. So close. So close.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:

The iPhone still doesn't multi-task as well as Palm

No kidding well it must be pretty good if it's just not "as wells as"
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Wired's Steven Levy

"You don't need a stopwatch to notice the new phone is zippier than its predecessor."

I think you mean "snappier", Steven.

As a side note, is Voice Control a OS 3.0 feature, or solely 3GS? If you have an iPod with OS 3.0 and a mic, can you call out a song and have it play?
  • Reply 4 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

No kidding well it must be pretty good if it's just not "as wells as"

I really hope you're not planning on becoming a professional grammar nazi!

"As well as" would imply that there's some multitasking happening with the new iPhone -- besides music playback, email check, and phone services, "non existent" should be the only term applied to the iPhone.

Push is a half-assed design paradigm in my opinion, but I will wait to pass final judgement until it's been employed by many programs and battle-tested.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    It's a 3G S only feature. No dice on my iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I think you mean "snappier", Steven.

As a side note, is Voice Control a OS 3.0 feature, or solely 3GS? If you have an iPod with OS 3.0 and a mic, can you call out a song and have it play?

I think Voice Control is dependent on hardware in the 3GS--it is not an OS 3.0 issue alone.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    taigebutaigebu Posts: 9member
    Great !

I was hoping for some pre launch day reviews !

Now I can get my (first) iPhone without hesitation ^^
  • Reply 8 of 86
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Guys, check out Engadget's review as well. They did a good job and included videos showing off the new features.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Mossberg says:

"and it can't compete with phones like Nokia's new $700 N97, which has a 5-megapixel camera with zoom."

First of all, the N97 DOES NOT have a real (i.e. optical) zoom -- it has the ridiculous and worthless feature of "digital zoom" aka "crop & interpolate" which destroys image quality.

Additionally, the camera len/sensor may indeed be superior (it should be based on the thickness of that phone), but I have to wonder if Mossberg is actually comparing the real quality of the images versus suggesting "it must be better with 5MP".

"Video recording works well, but the iPhone doesn't take HD movies and its quality pales in comparison to the popular $229 Flip pocket camcorder."

WHAT? First of all, I have only heard of one cell phone that can record "HD" video (Samsung i8910), so it's obviously not a common feature. More importantly, it is a completely POINTLESS non-feature considering the crappy lenses and tiny sensors that can fit in an iPhone-size device.

And how about comparing the video quality to the iPhone's smartphone *COMPETITORS*, not some dedicated video recorder. Of COURSE it would be better, even a $150 digital camera should be able to take better video. It's a cellphone FFS!
  • Reply 10 of 86
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

The iPhone still doesn't multi-task as well as Palm

Apple has made it clear why they won't allow background applications. The Palm Pre has even demonstrated the reason by having horrendous battery life.

I'm willing to bet we see a "Dashboard" layer as a next step before being able to fully multitask. (And I wouldn't be surprised if the Dashboard layer looked similar the Pre's interface.) You'll be able to access the Dashboard widgets from anywhere and then dismiss them when you're done. They'll be web applets built using HTML, CSS, and Javascript (just as the Pre's applications and OS X Dashboard widgets).
  • Reply 11 of 86
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Mossberg says:

"and it can't compete with phones like Nokia's new $700 N97, which has a 5-megapixel camera with zoom."

First of all, the N97 DOES NOT have a real (i.e. optical) zoom -- it has the ridiculous and worthless feature of "digital zoom" aka "crop & interpolate" which destroys image quality.

Additionally, the camera len/sensor may indeed be superior (it should be based on the thickness of that phone), but I have to wonder if Mossberg is actually comparing the real quality of the images versus suggesting "it must be better with 5MP".

"Video recording works well, but the iPhone doesn't take HD movies and its quality pales in comparison to the popular $229 Flip pocket camcorder."

WHAT? First of all, I have only heard of one cell phone that can record "HD" video (Samsung i8910), so it's obviously not a common feature. More importantly, it is a completely POINTLESS non-feature considering the crappy lenses and tiny sensors that can fit in an iPhone-size device.

And how about comparing the video quality to the iPhone's smartphone *COMPETITORS*, not some dedicated video recorder. Of COURSE it would be better, even a $150 digital camera should be able to take better video. It's a cellphone FFS!

i wish someone would knock some sense into reviewers! compare quality of photos of iphone 3gs against palm/nokia/rim phones, 3MP vs 5MP is not an appropriate comparison. Same with the video, a side by side comparison of the quality against other phone's video would be nice.

finally, the pre's multitasking is great idea, but that's all it is until it has the same caliber apps to multitask with! only if it has really good apps, would it be a legitimate advantage and have bragging right against apple. Ultimately, i've read that, that wont ever be the case because it lacks a good SDK AND the only code allowed for apps is web based code (html/java)
  • Reply 12 of 86
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    All well and good, but where's the iDisk app we've been hearing about?

Not that I need it in light of things like iGet Mobile, but I'm interested to see how it was implemented.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Not a revolutionary update but we knew that already.

Sounds like the voice navigation and video editing will see bug fixes soon. Despite those this is a must have phone.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I love it.

The "iPhone's" (phone folks, phone) camera doesn't work as well as others that cost much more? really

How does those other phones stand up to the iPhone, as a PHONE?

Folks, if some part of this utility tool apple is calling the iPhone. doesn't work as good as you'd like, is it the PHONE part, or some other part?

sorry ? this all makes me sick.

Skip
  • Reply 15 of 86
    I honestly feel that these reviews dont take into account the app store. Ys my touch pro has better hardware and of right now still does more it doesnt have the app store. This is the reason why i am buying the 3gs ( i have a 1st gen ipod touch right now).

In my eyes the app store trumps the better features of my other phone.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    where are all the apps with push notifications? preparations have been made for months. testing is done. apps are submitted.

where are they?
  • Reply 17 of 86
    nicky gnicky g Posts: 20member
    I'm surprised that all reviewers seem to be missing a major feature of the new iPhone, and really a very obvious one...

32GB!

Yes, uh, many of us do indeed use our iPhones as our iPods nowadays, and yes, for many of us, the jump from 16GB to 32GB shifts the iPhone from "just being adequate capacity-wise to use as your iPod" to "definitely fine for all my iPod needs".

This is big, people!

On top of that, the totally revamped processor & video chip, (presumably) upped RAM, much better camera w/ video, voice control, compass, improved battery life, considerably faster wireless chip (will be useful in 1-2 years in the USA).

This is by far a bigger update than was iPhone to iPhone 3G. iPhone 3G slightly revamped the look of the phone, capacity, 3G wireless, and GPS. That was it, people.

It's funny, Apple is almost doing themselves a disservice by giving away 3.0 to all iPhone users, which is a MAJOR MAJOR upgrade. In itself it's such a great upgrade, it's "enough" for many users right now. But it's kind of hiding the fact that the 3G S is quite a big upgrade itself, beyond the 3.0 OS.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Mossberg: "Before I detail the new features and how they worked in my tests, let me state up-front what the new iPhone and its new operating system don't deliver. "

Yeah, the iphone sucks.

What he goes on to list as faults are all reasonable criticisms. But sentences like I quoted above probably originate from a subconscious urge to jerk people's chain and drive up his article's click-count by being controversial.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

I love it.

sorry ? this all makes me sick.

why worry what the reviewers say? if you're happy with the device, all is fine, right?

not need to get upset or sick - it's only a technical device.

save your anger for more deserving missions!
  • Reply 20 of 86
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    My problem is, the new iPhone OS 3.0 already make my iphone much faster.

So how much of performance different will we see with S?