AT&T: iPhone 3G S pre-orders in the "hundreds of thousands"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

The iphone pre orders alone on AT&T probably outsold all the Palm Pres in existence.

Your right. And the press calls the Pre a successful launch. Lets see how they treat Apple with this one.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Your right. And the press calls the Pre a successful launch. Lets see how they treat Apple with this one.

My guess: Anything under 1M will be called a failure, a million to 1.3M will be called okay, and anything over 1.3M will deemed pretty good by the media at large.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    jkozjkoz Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Also a site is reporting that a AT&T spokesperson said that tethering is coming in July for $55 a month.

So that should up scale your bill to around $160 a month.

Also AT&T is working with Apple to close the hack that allowed free tethering. Thanks to dumb sites like MDN and others advertising it for everyone to see.

Note the AT&T laptop connect card costs $60 a month (with phone, else $100) and is limited to 5 GB down per month.

So expect similar caps and the $55 sounds about right, as AT&T won't have to supply a USB card.

*kisses $10 a month AT&T phone and $25 a month broadband*

Let the wailing and howling begin!

http://appmodo.com/914/apple-iphone-...-tethering-55/

Mind sharing this free tethering hack site? Is it something new with the 3.0 or are you just referring to Cydia's iPhoneModem 2.0?
  • Reply 24 of 90
    And some news reports are wondering why there are no lines!?

The heavy demand was somewhat obvious from early reports of online orders.....

That said, 1 million during the first weekend would be HUGE!! Go AAPL!!!!!
  • Reply 25 of 90
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Woo! I knew those estiamtes for 500k for the rest of the month were totally retarded!

also, FWIW, after showing off my S to my friends here at work they are going to upgrade from their 3G because of how much quicker it is - well, snappier is the technical term right?
  • Reply 26 of 90
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkoz View Post

Mind sharing this free tethering hack site? Is it something new with the 3.0 or are you just referring to Cydia's iPhoneModem 2.0?

http://www.krillr.com/blog/3DPQHBZ3/...-yes-im-on-att

it works - right click, download file as and make sure you do a Get Info and change the file extension (for the new file)

Don't know about the MMS hack tho...
  • Reply 27 of 90
    Quote:

A Google search for ?iPhone 3.0 tethering hack? will bring up a plethora of sites describing how to do it with jailbreaking.

I?ve ben tethering since March and while I?m using the current 3.0 build number it?s the GM version, yet I can still tether without having to install any profile. Perhaps they removed this from the GM build, but I?d think that the version number would have changed if they did that. Have you tried to turn tethering on?
  • Reply 28 of 90
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

And they said it's not fair to compare the 3g launch to the Pre, we have to compare it to the oiriginal iphone. Even then they sold more and that was for 499 and 599.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Let's see -****** the media is either run by Microsoft or RIM. Must be part of some vast techno conspiracy!

EDIT: Removed name calling.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/21483/

read what MDN has to say "gointoscott" also for a easier hack.

no jailbreaking needed

enjoy it while you can...

Quote:

U.K. iPhone carrier O2 has said that it will disconnect any customers found to be using the tethering feature of iPhone OS 3.0 that aren?t signed up for one of the company

• Reply 31 of 90
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    I'm in Coppell (Dallas) TX.

I checked my Apple Order status this morning and saw that 1st attempt failed and a second attempt will be made. I called UPS asap and that would have meant Monday.

This all despite the fact that I pre-signed with the option checked for my apartment complexes leasing office. All deliveries go there anyway (even ones requiring a signature), but I'm not a trusting person. Despite my efforts, I almost got screwed.

Well, I called to complain and they promised to call me back in an hour once they figure out what the can do about it. They called within 30 minutes and promised to return and leave it at the leasing office. They told me that AT&T (why? this was an online Apple Store purchase) just gave them permission to delivery it without a signature going against UPS' prior instructions. This sounds like a sorry excuse since I didn't deal with AT&T at all. Also, I pre-signed as per UPS policy, nothing out of the ordinary for the iPhone deliveries.

Anyway, I'm happy again. I just hope they follow thru!
  • Reply 32 of 90
    jkozjkoz Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A Google search for ?iPhone 3.0 tethering hack? will bring up a plethora of sites describing how to do it with jailbreaking.

I?ve ben tethering since March and while I?m using the current 3.0 build number it?s the GM version, yet I can still tether without having to install any profile. Perhaps they removed this from the GM build, but I?d think that the version number would have changed if they did that. Have you tried to turn tethering on?

Well I just woke up and was reading the forums, I knew I was going to get a comment like that

I didn't check the Dev Team site to see if they released their jailbreaking/unlocking tools yet today. I've had iPhoneModem on my 2.x firmware for a while on my 2G iPhone and that's been great. I'm waiting for my 3GS to arrive still.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

And they said it's not fair to compare the 3g launch to the Pre, we have to compare it to the oiriginal iphone. Even then they sold more and that was for 499 and 599.

The original iPhone did 270k in 30 hours and a reported 700k in the first weekend at those prices.

Since it?s in 7 more countries today and the sales technically started as of Thursday for Cupertino the sales should easily jump 1M this weekend. I am thinking about 1.5M, but that will probably be called a failure if it?s not double last year?s with more countries and double capacity and speed for the price, as if business works that way.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Let's see -judging by sloppism and anadakadakaram the media is either run by Microsoft or RIM. Must be part of some vast techno conspiracy!

Just to point out that it is the media are. Other than that, I found your post informative, well thought-through, courteous, free of personal insults and on topic. I am sure the moderators agree.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    I million in sales is a grand slam.

GO Apple !!
  • Reply 36 of 90
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patroll View Post

Just to point out that it is the media are. Other than that, I found your post informative, well thought-through, courteous, free of personal insults and on topic. I am sure the moderators agree.

There is no moderation of what teckstud says.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:

go here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10265889-233.html

skip the article, go the 4th comment. follow the 4 steps. my new iphone 3gs now has tethering, it also works on iphone 3g with os3.0. should also enable mms

ps: i hear it only works with MAC computers. It took less than 2 minutes to do this hack! restart you phone if you dont see it right away.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Woz cuts in line at Apple Store

pictures story

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=725868
  • Reply 39 of 90
    Quote:

Well I just woke up and was reading the forums, I knew I was going to get a comment like that

I didn't check the Dev Team site to see if they released their jailbreaking/unlocking tools yet today. I've had iPhoneModem on my 2.x firmware for a while on my 2G iPhone and that's been great. I'm waiting for my 3GS to arrive still.

I try not to ask questions I can look up easily, but I?m occasionally guilty of that, too. But with newer posters I don?t know their age or technical knowledge so teaching to fish seems like the best method. I didn?t mean to come across demeaning.

With v3.0 out as a GM for 12 days now and jailbreak and unlock long developed I have no idea what they are waiting for. Actually, I do. They are having an issue with YouTube not working, but they had mentioned that they may release it with that caveat while working on a fix. I hope they do that.

I updated to v3.0 months ago without a hack so my baseband is updated. So far, not known hole to exploit so my phone is forever tied AT&T, though I?ll be sending to a family member tomorrow so it?s not a non-issue.

Good luck with getting the unlock soon.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    patrollpatroll Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

go here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10265889-233.html

skip the article, go the 4th comment. follow the 4 steps. my new iphone 3gs now has tethering, it also works on iphone 3g with os3.0. should also enable mms

ps: i hear it only works with MAC computers. It took less than 2 minutes to do this hack! restart you phone if you dont see it right away.

Yes, this 4-step process worked for me earlier this morning.