AT&T: iPhone 3G S pre-orders in the "hundreds of thousands"

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    http://www.reuters.com/article/busin...55I21D20090619

Quote:

Unicom, Apple close to iPhone deal for China: Merrill

HONG KONG (Reuters) - China Unicom (0762.HK), one of China's top three mobile carriers, may be close to a deal that would see it become the exclusive seller of Apple's (AAPL.O) iPhones in China for two years, a Merrill Lynch analyst said.

"Our industry checks reveal that Unicom and Apple have most likely reached a deal for an exclusive 2-plus year agreement," analyst Cynthia Meng wrote in a research note dated June 18. "We expect iPhone products to be available in conjunction with the Unicom commercial scale 3G launch in Q4, starting on Oct 1."

A Unicom spokeswoman said the two sides were still in discussions, but would not comment further.

Market chatter has been rampant over the last year over what company, if any, would eventually offer the iPhone in China. Speculation has centered on Unicom and China Mobile (0941.HK), China's dominant mobile carrier, which both operate systems based on the GSM standard that iPhones use.

China Mobile has also confirmed in the past that it was in talks with Apple over the iPhone.

Previous reports have said that talks have dragged on because Beijing leaders object to the revenue-sharing model that Apple insists on for its cellular partners that offer the iPhone. (Reporting by Joanne Chiu and Doug Young; Editing by Jacqueline Wong)

• Reply 82 of 90
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    What a nice day for apple
  • Reply 83 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

If this turns out to be true, this will be another (huge) positive kick for AAPL!
  • Reply 84 of 90
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If this turns out to be true, this will be another (huge) positive kick for AAPL!

They announced at WWDC they passed the government hurdles to sell the iPhone in China.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

They announced at WWDC they passed the government hurdles to sell the iPhone in China.

During the keynote or in some separate interview?

I wonder if Jobs will make it monuments comeback with an announcement of a deal (with China Unicom) and the stats from Apple?s 3rd quarter, which include the record sales they should experience in these ~12 final days.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And some news reports are wondering why there are no lines!?

The heavy demand was somewhat obvious from early reports of online orders.....

That said, 1 million during the first weekend would be HUGE!! Go AAPL!!!!!

There is still a big line in front of the Apple Store on 59th street in NYC.
  • Reply 87 of 90
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My guess: Anything under 1M will be called a failure, a million to 1.3M will be called okay, and anything over 1.3M will deemed pretty good by the media at large.

LOL. Actually I would like to add to that number if I could sell my 3G. Is it easier to sell a 3G as is or should I jailbreak it? If I do jailbreak it, what is the best site to find out about how to do it?
  • Reply 88 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Who announced this? When? Was it reported somewhere? (I am not being combative; just asking...)
  • Reply 89 of 90
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Also a site is reporting that a AT&T spokesperson said that tethering is coming in July for $55 a month.

Let the wailing and howling begin!

Unless AT&T made concessions to Apple to keep the iPhone's exclusivity to AT&T and to do that agreed to Steve Jobs superior negotiating skills to keep pricing simple and unique to the iPhone?!
  • Reply 90 of 90
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If I mispelled their names it was because of my dyslexia and their supercalifragilistic surnames are so hard to spell.

And your 'dyslexia' just happened to spit out variations of their names that are highly rude and dismissive, on accident, more than once, but not affecting any of the other words you use, just names. And this highly selective form of 'dyslexia' just happened to somehow result in behavior that just accidentally also fit right in with your general demeanor overall, as well. Just by coincidence, on accident. Because of the dyslexia.

Right.