AT&T: iPhone 3G S pre-orders in the "hundreds of thousands"

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Funny how you haters were shoving the Pre down our throats for the past 6 months saying it will "kill the iphone". IT SURE DIDN'T BUDDY!

No, you know whats REALLY funny? Your "if you're not with us you're against us" attitude.

If anything, you got it COMPLETELY wrong as what I'm trying to say is I'm fucking sick of hearing about the Pre, especially from people who for whatever reason feel the need to gloat on Apple's behalf as if they too accomplished something.
  • Reply 62 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Note that all words are made up.

Oh please, that's utterly ledonkishozzle.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Funny how you fanboys always seem to bring up the Pre for some reason.

The iPhone outsold the Pre!? NO WAI!

Well, this is what one gets for:

?Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later. Think about it ? if you bought the first iPhone, you bought it because you wanted the coolest product on the market. Your two-year contract has just expired. Look around. Tell me what they?re going to buy.? (a guy named McNamee)

People obviously misunderstood him and instead of ordering a Pre, pre-ordered something else?!
  • Reply 64 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Oh please, that's utterly ledonkishozzle.

Now you’re just being ridonculous.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

“Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later. Think about it — if you bought the first iPhone, you bought it because you wanted the coolest product on the market. Your two-year contract has just expired. Look around. Tell me what they’re going to buy.” (a guy named McNamee)

People obviously misunderstood him and instead of ordering a Pre, pre-ordered something else?!

Palm CEO Ed Colligan said, “We’ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone, PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.”, just before he headhunted many Apple executives and engineers to make WebOS and the Pre what it is today. Apparently you need “PC guys” to make a decent smartphone.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:

Palm CEO Ed Colligan said, “We’ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone, PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.”, just before he headhunted many Apple executives and engineers to make WebOS and the Pre what it is today. Apparently you need “PC guys” to make a decent smartphone.

But we're not PC guys - we're Macs!

He was right about the PC guys - MSFT still sucks at it!
  • Reply 66 of 90
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g5man View Post

well that is pretty impressive. I think many of those will be upgrades from the 3G. Never the less I think the future is bright.

I'd guess there'd be more upgrades from the original iPhone. 6 million of them sold, for those that didn't upgrade early, those contracts are all beginning to end. Well at least I am one of them. Didn't see the point in upgrading just for 3G and GPS... but now that it's faster and has many other improvements, I finally upgraded.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Shows the cynical times we live in. Selling a million in three days would be around 600 million in revenue for Apple. Since when is 600 million in three days simply okay?

Quote:

My guess: Anything under 1M will be called a failure, a million to 1.3M will be called okay, and anything over 1.3M will deemed pretty good by the media at large.

• Reply 68 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Let's see -****** think the media is either run by Microsoft or RIM. Must be part of some vast techno conspiracy!

EDIT: Removed name calling.

So I go out to lunch, stop in AT&T to do a little inquiring, and what what do I discover upon my return- I've been censored. What is this- TEHRAN?

The 2 posters I was responding to were heavily whining about how the the press was gonna be so hard on Apple ( with no substantiated evidence mind you) yet I get censored for calling them up on that? I can only laugh.

Name calling? If I mispelled their names it was because of my dyslexia and their supercalifragilistic surnames are so hard to spell. Whatever.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

But we're not PC guys - we're Macs!

He was right about the PC guys - MSFT still sucks at it!

Macs are PCs, too. It was Apple?s marketing engine that made the differential back in the early 80s when they released the first Mac to go up against the IBM PC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Shows the cynical times we live in. Selling a million in three days would be around 600 million in revenue for Apple. Since when is 600 million in three days simply okay?

Perhaps I?m cynical, too, because I really don?t think these analysts and pundits even go that far to determine the revenue.
  • Reply 70 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

“Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later. Think about it — if you bought the first iPhone, you bought it because you wanted the coolest product on the market. Your two-year contract has just expired. Look around. Tell me what they’re going to buy.” (a guy named McNamee)

lol and what's the coolest product on the market now? This was written in comparison to the 3g, which the Pre stands up to nicely.

The Pre has a load of potential, and even before it was released people spoke about how much better it was than the iphone, my response was ALWAYS the same "Do you own one? no. Do you know someone who owns one? no. How can you say it will be better?"

Same goes with people comparing the Pre with the unknown next gen iphone. I always responded with "You have the next iphone? no."

The whole "if you're not with us you're against us" mentality gets tiresome. There's butt loads of potential in the Pre (a lot of which will be wasted since they went with an exclusivity deal with Sprint) but iPhone fans don't see that. Instead, they see something that threatens their vastly superior judgment.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patroll View Post

Just to point out that it is the media are. Other than that, I found your post informative, well thought-through, courteous, free of personal insults and on topic. I am sure the moderators agree.

Once again you are utterly wrong. And I am so glad you liked my post and actually understood it for a change.

And your passive/agressive threats are really worrisome.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:

Macs are PCs, too. It was Apple’s marketing engine that made the differential back in the early 80s when they released the first Mac to go up against the IBM PC.

aww, but I was just being sarcastic!!
  • Reply 73 of 90
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    is it crazy that even 300,000 phones in the first weekend is an insanely large number, not to mention million?

I would have thought 200,000 would already be really good
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nherring View Post

Hi all

My iphone 32GB 3GS arrived at my home (Apple on-line - shipped from China) promptly at 10:30am EST this morning via UPS (the driver said they had 38,000 to deliver this morning as a test run vs Fed-Ex). By 10:35 I was attempting to activate it (having backed up my 3G at 9:45, assuming it would arrive on time). The activation timed out with a note saying it would be completed within 48 hours and that an email would arrive notifying me that the phone is activated. I've completed the restore of my apps, etc, onto the new phone and await activation.

48Hours? I'd say they're overwhelmed by the sales volume today.

UPDATE: Phone was activated at 11:45, about 1 hour after the first attempt.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    Quote:

The whole "if you're not with us you're against us" mentality gets tiresome. There's butt loads of potential in the Pre (a lot of which will be wasted since they went with an exclusivity deal with Sprint) but iPhone fans don't see that. Instead, they see something that threatens their vastly superior judgment.

I wouldn?t say that. I?d say that for the most part most people are open to a better device if only to improve competition. I?ve already made several posts here today linking to today?s AnandTech article that clearly shows where the Pre easily trumps in certain areas. I?m still getting the iPhone as it?s the best choice for my needs, but that doesn?t make the Pre a bad choice.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    That is great that they sold so many but of what they sold how many will work before the weekend is done? So much from keeping the new one from the wife... now she'll want one too but at least this one will be $200 less!!!
  • Reply 77 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

aww, but I was just being sarcastic!!

I was going to say, “use emoticons”, but you did. Mea culpa.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

is it crazy that even 300,000 phones in the first weekend is an insanely large number, not to mention million?

I would have thought 200,000 would already be really good

The first iPhone did 270K in 30 hours so we’re naturally expecting a lot more on the third go around.
  • Reply 78 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slesherinyork View Post

That is great that they sold so many but of what they sold how many will work before the weekend is done? So much from keeping the new one from the wife... now she'll want one too but at least this one will be $200 less!!!

Why do people wait in lines anyway- for anything?
  • Reply 79 of 90
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

You need to go on some of the Palm sites, half the posts there are hating on Apple.

Most likely because they purchased a Palm, and now wish they'd bought an iPhone

Skip

PS Almost everyone hates a winner.
  • Reply 80 of 90
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Well with the rip off handset prices in the UK I doubt they will manage to even sell a 100,000 units.

Wanna bet?

Come Monday you'll realize that 100k was conservative.