Apple sells over 1 million iPhone 3G Ss in first three days

12467

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 138
    Great news for Apple and my mate at CPW said they'd sold more of the 3G S this time around on the first day than the original. Makes sense as the it's a household name these days.



    Slightly off topic has anybody noticed that 3.0 drains the battery a lot quicker than 2.2.1??
  • Reply 62 of 138
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post


    Samsung Jet had more than 2 million pre orders from 50 countries, Apple is doomed:



    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...for-preorders/



    Well if Apple got their 1 million from just 8 countries and tons of curent 3G owners couldn't upgrade without paying a pretty penny I'm thinking if they had 1) launched in all available countries (including China) and 2) given another week or so warning and stop all shipments of iPhones they'd have hit 2 million without much of a problem to be honest...
  • Reply 63 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post


    We knew this was going to happen - just like I said before, I'm sure that Apple hit the 500K mark on Friday alone

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...89&postcount=7

    Even the Piper analysts knew this was going to happen - I think they deliberately played down expectations - hmmm, I wonder why they would do such a thing???



    I doubt if they did that. It certainly hasn't helped them any. Look at where the market is, and look at where Apple's stock is.
  • Reply 64 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    Ripped off?? how so ?



    Because like some others here, he's mad that he can't get that latest and best for less money than he's entitled to.
  • Reply 65 of 138
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    If you're not satisfied, you can go to the forums, and start your own.



    I am very satisfied with Appleinsider.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    If enough people are interested, you will get responses. If they don't, that's fair too.



    I don't require "responses", it was a merely a little comment about Apple's communications. Could be relevant to any thread related to apple's products. There's no need to react as if I have sabotaged the appleinsider.com/iphone experience for all readers. We're all old enough to ignore posts we find irrelevant, right?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I didn't bookmark it, but it's around somewhere, possibly I'll find it later. My quick search didn't pick it up.



    OK, thanks very much, I appreciate it.

    best

    -D
  • Reply 66 of 138
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post


    Slightly off topic has anybody noticed that 3.0 drains the battery a lot quicker than 2.2.1??



    Actually no, my battery seems unchanged. (iphone3G)

    I'm very happy with 3.0



    maybe some of your settings were changed in the update process?

    GPS, bluetooth, etc...?

    -D
  • Reply 67 of 138
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    You are absolutely correct. However, in the official press release they quoted Steve Jobs.It was not a passing comment. It was in quotation marks, published and thus available for referencing and all its scrutiny.



    I would suggest that Steve or any member of the board realizes the impact that the context of the statement could have on their share prices.



    More importantly, the fact that Jobs made the claim would indicate that he is now more actively involved. Such a understanding could have an even more important impact on the stock market.



    With all the law suits facing Apple today, they don't need another.



    ??? We all know that Steve is far from dead, he does not have many hobbies, and I'm sure Apple knows the impact of a press release. They were charged with fraud in the way back so they are aware. LINK Yea I would think that Apple is comfortable with the million figure or they would not have released it, Steve or no Steve. What Apple has been releasing has been having little impact on the stock market compared to the bloggers. So lawsuit is very remote, and I'm still not sure how you got there. There is not anything fishy or numbers cooked, everything looks plausible, and certainly not anything yet that would make it to a court. Everything you mention could happen with any press release Apple makes Steve or no Steve. In short the sky ain't falling, relax.
  • Reply 68 of 138
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post


    Well if Apple got their 1 million from just 8 countries and tons of curent 3G owners couldn't upgrade without paying a pretty penny I'm thinking if they had 1) launched in all available countries (including China) and 2) given another week or so warning and stop all shipments of iPhones they'd have hit 2 million without much of a problem to be honest...



    Actually I was just trying to give the heads up to the iphone haters who would depart on this thread to say this announcement is insignificant.
  • Reply 69 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    I am very satisfied with Appleinsider.



    I meant with this thread, and any other that doesn't address your interests.



    Quote:

    I don't require "responses", it was a merely a little comment about Apple's communications. Could be relevant to any thread related to apple's products. There's no need to react as if I have sabotaged the appleinsider.com/iphone experience for all readers. We're all old enough to ignore posts we find irrelevant, right?



    Jobs doesn't offhand respond to minor issues like that. He'll issue a comment on some major new product, or line. He'll offer a comment on sales, and such. That's the level that CEO's and Chairman usually move to.



    Sometimes, he will answer an e-mail to him about some contentious issue, and that is surprising.



    I only brought it up because of the level of annoyance your post expressed. If you now say that you weren't annoyed, thats fine, but it isn't how it read.
  • Reply 70 of 138
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendon View Post


    ??? We all know that Steve is far from dead, he does not have many hobbies, and I'm sure Apple knows the impact of a press release. They were charged with fraud in the way back so they are aware. LINK Yea I would think that Apple is comfortable with the million figure or they would not have released it, Steve or no Steve. What Apple has been releasing has been having little impact on the stock market compared to the bloggers. So lawsuit is very remote, and I'm still not sure how you got there. There is not anything fishy or numbers cooked, everything looks plausible, and certainly not anything yet that would make it to a court. Everything you mention could happen with any press release Apple makes Steve or no Steve. In short the sky ain't falling, relax.



    Do you know wtf you are talking about?



    I made no comment to suggest that Apple did anything wrong. In fact, to the contrary..
  • Reply 71 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post


    Samsung Jet had more than 2 million pre orders from 50 countries, Apple is doomed:



    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...for-preorders/



    These are pre-orders are from service providers. They could be ordering for their forecasted first year of sales, for all we know.



    The only real comparison will be how many are sold to retail consumers in the first three days when/if the product is introduced.
  • Reply 72 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post


    So who are the other 999,999?



    I'm one... so now, who are the other 999,998.



    I hope the quote really is from Jobs, that would be great news indeed. Get well soon, Steve.



    Add in sales for the $99 3G, it is definitely higher, I saw a couple people buying the 3G. Genius to offer a $99 phone, a lot of people can't afford or just don't want to pay for the 3G-S, the 3G will definitely increase their buyers/users.



    This is my first iPhone and I like it a lot, glad they eventually released a 32gb model and 3.0 is well done.



    Sprint was not happy I left them, the Customer Service rep kept asking "Why?" I needed my account number and told me they have a lot of great phones.
  • Reply 73 of 138
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    Do you know wtf you are talking about?



    I made no comment to suggest that Apple did anything wrong. In fact, to the contrary..



    With all the law suits facing Apple today, they don't need another.
  • Reply 74 of 138
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I meant with this thread, and any other that doesn't address your interests.



    Yes, threads are collaborative, spontaneous and informative, i do not expect a thread to address "my issues". that's not the purpose of a thread.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Jobs doesn't offhand respond to minor issues like that. He'll issue a comment on some major new product, or line. He'll offer a comment on sales, and such. That's the level that CEO's and Chairman usually move to.



    Oh dear. Thanks for explaining. I did not expect Jobs to write me a personal rose-scented letter from his desk or from the operating room, explaining in detail 'the reasoning behind the sata downgrade'.

    I was merely commenting that since this very big company has the time & resources to coordinate it's iphone launch and it's celebratory communications to the outside world, including an SJ quote, I would expect this company to reply to an issue which is getting a lot of resonance about some serious problems with another major apple product. Replying to the sata issue would take just as long as Apple's "The iPhone is winning" announcement That's all I expect from Apple. A short answer to a question many customers & potential customers are troubled over. (see apple's own forums)



    My comment was about Apple Inc.'s policies, not SJ's functions or Appleinsider's threads.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I only brought it up because of the level of annoyance your post expressed. If you now say that you weren't annoyed, thats fine, but it isn't how it read.



    Sorry if I sounded annoyed, and if I were annoyed, it would be with Apple's communications strategy, not with Appleinsider, not with this thread or with SJ, who we hope is getting healthier by the minute.



    That should wrap this little question up, I trust?

    Let's not waste any more time on it, ok?

    Take care,

    -D
  • Reply 75 of 138
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    Hi brucep

    Interesting, the "mbp with no sata" is selling like hot-cakes, is it?









    really? next you'll tell us that "less than one percent of owners use the motherboard"







    If you intend to offend me, go ahead, but don't bother writing "NO offence intended". That's just plain silly, considering your preceeding opinions about me.



    In addition it seems you have difficulty telling the difference between Sata and an ExpressCard Slot.

    Until you've worked out the difference you might find it more polite to refrain from offending



    Apart from that, I enjoy your posts here,

    best of luck

    -D



    Oh boy i am sorry,Iknow what a sata is because i just put a 500g in my black MB

    i was reading and posting on the fly . again i stand corrected and will fix my last post . I am not always such an asshole ///forgive me.



    PEACE 9
  • Reply 76 of 138
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    Oh boy i am sorry,Iknow what a sata is because i just put a 500g in my black MB

    i was reading and posting on the fly . again i stand corrected and will fix my last post . I am not always such an asshole ///forgive me.



    PEACE 9



    no problem - nevermind

    i make lots of mistakes, everybody does :-)

    take care, enjoy the 500g!

    -D
  • Reply 77 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    Y

    Oh dear. Thanks for explaining.



    No need to be snide.



    Quote:

    I did not expect Jobs to write me a personal rose-scented letter from his desk or from the operating room, explaining in detail 'the reasoning behind the sata downgrade'.

    I was merely commenting that since this very big company has the time & resources to coordinate it's iphone launch and it's celebratory communications to the outside world, including an SJ quote, I would expect this company to reply to an issue which is getting a lot of resonance about some serious problems with another major apple product. Replying to the sata issue would take just as long as Apple's "The iPhone is winning" announcement That's all I expect from Apple. A short answer to a question many customers & potential customers are troubled over. (see apple's own forums)



    Since we really don't what the facts are here yet, we can't expect Apple to come up with a quick response. It's always possible that as one site says, the speed is 3 Gbs with Apple's own SSD drives, and 1.5 with others. Its also possible that, as I read, some SSD drives have a 1.5 Gbs interface, while others have a 3 Gbs one.



    And its also possible, that some MacBook Pros aren't responding properly, and Apple is investigating.



    We don't know yet. Apple doesn't usually respond right away to these things, depending what the issue is. It usually take a couple of weeks or so.



    [quote

    My comment was about Apple Inc.'s policies, not SJ's functions or Appleinsider's threads.[/quote]



    It didn't read that way.



    Quote:

    Sorry if I sounded annoyed, and if I were annoyed, it would be with Apple's communications strategy, not with Appleinsider, not with this thread or with SJ, who we hope is getting healthier by the minute.



    Ok, fine.



    Quote:

    That should wrap this little question up, I trust?

    Let's not waste any more time on it, ok?

    Take care,

    -D



    I was going to say that, if you didn't. I assume you won't comment on it further.
  • Reply 78 of 138
    It would be great if my PRE-ORDERED iPhone was actually in the store for me to pick up. Despite being promised it would be at my ATT store at 7 AM Friday, it wasn't, and I have yet to be able to pick it up....
  • Reply 79 of 138
    Im impressed! Blows the whole count how many people in line theory!
  • Reply 80 of 138
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendon View Post


    With all the law suits facing Apple today, they don't need another.



    If you go back, you will see that I was defending Apple from some who thought that the message may have been contrived.
Sign In or Register to comment.