Apple sells over 1 million iPhone 3G Ss in first three days

12357

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 138
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    And, by the way, it's been shown that the SATA slowdown only takes place with certain SSD drives, possibly because those drives themselves are SATA 1.5 Gbs.



    No, sorry, wrong. Don't spread BS.



    I've seen three different tests between the new 13/15 MB Pro and older 15"Macbook Pro/13" Macbook with an OCZ Vertex SSD, Intel X25M SSD, and Corsair P256 and they all lose more than half of their sequential read and write speeds in the new 13" or 15" MB Pro. And NO, they are NOT SATA/1.5 drives, just like every other new SSD and the vast majority of HDDs sold in the last 3 years are SATA/3.0.



    The FACT of the matter is that the 13/15" MB Pros have a SATA/150-enabled drive controller, whether that is a simply firmware issue we don't know. This drive controller is vastly constraining the sequential read and write performance of most decent 3rd-party SSD. And we are not talking capping both read and write at 150MB/sec, it has been shown for whatever reason that for example, the OCZ Vertex drive gets capped around 100MB/sec in read and 80MB/sec in write, when it is capable of 220MB/sec read and 160MB/sec write in normal SATA/300 machines.
  • Reply 82 of 138
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    hello, it was not a complaint in itself, it was a comment that if SJ is fit enough to celebrate the iphone, we might expect him and his company to address the sata problem.

    I peruse the apple forums daily - still no official statement.

    I have sent messages to tech support and called apple. "We can not make a statement" is the only reply.









    no, the *non-theoretical* problem is that if you buy a MBP with SSD installed from apple, you get sata 3,0

    if you buy non-SSD MBP, and intend to upgrade with a fast SSD of your choice next year: you get sata 1,5.

    ergo, apple seems to have crippled the sata on computers sold without their SSDs (which are small & expensive)

    which is a problem for anybody - like me - who wants to buy the MBP now, then buy a fast and cheaper SSD of my choice in a few months or next year.



    And before you say: nobody needs this transfer rate: I - and many others in the film, video, convention world - do, and will, as more applications make use f faster transfer rates.

    And I don't want to buy a MBP now, and again next year, all because of this.



    and before I'm accused of complaining about the MBP: I'm quite wiling to believe there was a reason for the downgrade. maybe heat, maybe battery life, etc. wouldn't it be good to get a reply from apple about this? just a statement: "there will be a fix", "there will be an upgrade", "buy the next gen", all I'm asking is "why the downgrade" and "if apple can celebrate the iphone's sales, why can't they make an official statement about this" ?



    sorry for the off topic - it was not meant to divert the thread, it was meant as a brief comment about apple's famous "public relations"







    I have no need to get large percentages up in arms :-)



    have a good day,

    -D



    DAVID help me understand something . I am waiting on a FUTURE MBP 12 or 15 " With a 2 chip setup. And one that has both GPUu chip's working IN CONCERT together at the same time . It seems like that to me, Apple in making open CL system is making all chips inside the device to work together in an efficient way, Maybe it's the GCS I mean to say . My geek teck speak is poor sorry .



    Any way I see apple moving towards a high end 3d gaming/graphic platform for the mass produced mrkt .

    Is this what you are thinking ??



    And down grade in sata means 5400 rpm instead of 7200 rpm . And how does SSD fit into all of this .



    Also would a 7200 rpm make games play better than a 5400 rpm ONE ?



    David the over all point is I feel apple is about to revolutionize the gaming/3d graphic world with what trends apple's working on.



    I at first thought the 15"MBP was the perfect uni body machine ,but then I think never trust apple not to have something spectacular under its hood .



    Whew.

    Well, I meant to ask about you post and only talked about mine. It must be that song in my head that won't stop. You was talking about the sata down grade ? What did you mean?And can't you just upgrade ?



    peace

    9
  • Reply 83 of 138
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    And down grade in sata means 5400 rpm instead of 7200 rpm . And how does SSD fit into all of this .

    Also would a 7200 rpm make games play better than a 5400 rpm ONE ?



    The SATA controller speed has nothing to do with harddrive speed (5400/7200 RPM). And yes, (in general) a 7200RPM harddrive is faster than a 5400RPM harddrive. Neither drive speed is anywhere close to saturating the older SATA/1.5Gbps bus unfortunately found in the new MB Pro 13/15, so the issue doesn't matter to harddrive users. On the other hand, many non-Apple OEM SSDs are being dramatically limited in speed in the same situation (i.e. new Macbook Pro 13/15") because they are capable of speeds far greater than the SATA/1.5Gbps bus seems to be capable of.
  • Reply 84 of 138
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Maybe because Apple already has it's own forums and tech support and that's the appropriate place to funnel complaints of that nature?



    I don't know that anyone from Apple ever reads this forum, but if they do it's more likely they do so to get a general idea of how things are being received and very general attitudes towards products. It's foolish to think that they will troll countless forums looking for specific consumer complaints if those people haven't taken the time to formally open an issue with tech support.



    I guess you don't recall "Asteroid" and the fact AppleInsider as well as a particular well known member were mentioned by name by Apple.
  • Reply 85 of 138
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    no problem - nevermind

    i make lots of mistakes, everybody does :-)

    take care, enjoy the 500g!

    -D



    It was amazing my hard drive was dying . and i get this sickly sinking feeling like the blue screen of death . And samsung that day had just come out with a 500g triple drive . I have so much room to spare.



    What is a 3.0 or 1.5 sata mean ?
  • Reply 86 of 138
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    It was amazing my hard drive was dying . and i get this sickly sinking feeling like the blue screen of death . And samsung that day had just come out with a 500g triple drive . I have so much room to spare.



    What is a 3.0 or 1.5 sata mean ?



    the situation is perhaps best explained here:

    http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/15/n...ps-sata-chips/



    see winterspan's reply above:

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...9&postcount=82



    here is the apple-forum dealing with this:

    http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 87 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post


    No, sorry, wrong. Don't spread BS.

    I've seen three different tests between the new 13/15 MB Pro and older 15"Macbook Pro/13" Macbook with an OCZ Vertex SSD, Intel X25M SSD, and Corsair P256 and they all lose more than half of their sequential read and write speeds in the new 13" or 15" MB Pro. And NO, they are NOT SATA/1.5 drives, just like every other new SSD and the vast majority of HDDs on the market are SATA/3.0.



    The FACT of the matter is that the 13/15" MB Pros have a SATA/150-enabled drive controller, whether that is a simply firmware issue we don't know. This drive controller is vastly constraining the sequential read and write performance of most decent 3rd-party SSD. And we are not talking capping both read and write at 150MB/sec, it has been shown for whatever reason that for example, the OCZ Vertex drive gets capped around 100MB/sec in read and 80MB/sec in write, when it is capable of 220MB/sec read and 160MB/sec write in normal SATA/300 machines.



    Now you're spreading the BS. It doesn't have a SATA/150 controller.



    The Nvidia GeForce 9400M chipset includes native support for 3.0 Gbs.



    As for mentioning that some drives may use the faster speeds but not others, I did read that somewhere, but didn't bookmark it. If I said I read something, you can believe that I did. I don't make things up.



    If there is some reason why there seems to be a limit at this time, it's not because of the controller, that's for sure. While there are questions about what's happening, no one questions the fact that it's a SATA 3 3Gbs controller inside except you.
  • Reply 88 of 138
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post


    The SATA controller speed has nothing to do with harddrive speed (5400/7200 RPM). And yes, (in general) a 7200RPM harddrive is faster than a 5400RPM harddrive. Neither drive speed is anywhere close to saturating the older SATA/1.5Gbps bus unfortunately found in the new MB Pro 13/15, so the issue doesn't matter to harddrive users. On the other hand, many non-Apple OEM SSDs are being dramatically limited in speed in the same situation (i.e. new Macbook Pro 13/15") because they are capable of speeds far greater than the SATA/1.5Gbps bus seems to be capable of.



    So what can we do or what can we hope for in the future ?? Is it a heat situation ? WHY would apple down grade its bus speed ?



    I am now thinking I am 2 yrs away from getting a 15" unibody . I will wait . Apple seems to think in large units of sale now. Mass mass production, maybe that is why the common denominator has been lowered .



    Let me know

    And thanks for the heads up .



    9
  • Reply 89 of 138
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I doubt if they did that. It certainly hasn't helped them any. Look at where the market is, and look at where Apple's stock is.



    Actually Mel you might be being a little unfair. If it's the usual 'upgrade whine' then you have a point but you may be unaware that the price of iPhones in the UK have risen pretty dramatically.



    Last year 3G 8 GB : £ 99.00 with 18 month contract

    This year 3GS 16 GB : £ 185.00 with 18 month contract
  • Reply 90 of 138
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee


    All week?!?! I grew up in that era... and its taken me DECADES burn that catchy little ditty from Dire Straits out of my prefrontal cortex...



    So, yea... Nice going BigMc6k, In one careless off the cuff post you've managed to undo 24 years of painful shock therapy treatments. I sure hope you satisfied with yourself.



    Now wheres that shrinks card again...











    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    na na na

    hey hey goood bye

    na na na na na na

    hey hey hey .......

    quick sing with me . we can escape the .......





    NO!



    Notice how DaveGee used in his post the phrase "little ditty"



    You should have chosen...



    "Little ditty about Jack & Diannneee,

    two American kids do'in best they can!"



    (thank-you to John Cougar Melloncamp)



    ...Oh yeah, life goes onnnn... long after the thrill of living is done!



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJz-x6idd8
  • Reply 91 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post


    Actually Mel you might be being a little unfair. If it's the usual 'upgrade whine' then you have a point but you may be unaware that the price of iPhones in the UK have risen pretty dramatically.



    Last year 3G 8 GB : £ 99.00 with 18 month contract

    This year 3GS 16 GB : £ 185.00 with 18 month contract



    Are we talking about the same thing here? My response was to the post about why the analysts projections were what they were, and why giving a low estimate didn't affect their holdings.
  • Reply 92 of 138
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post


    the situation is perhaps best explained here:

    http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/15/n...ps-sata-chips/



    see winterspan's reply above:

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...9&postcount=82



    here is the apple-forum dealing with this:

    http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0



    WOW

    I read about 8 pages/. so it only matter's if your using a SSD drive Right. And many 13" users w/ssd are stuck with a 1.5 g bottle neck.



    So if i reverse this then, when i buy a new lap top i should get the ssd on a machine that can handle 3 g bus speed/transfer rate .Because data will move faster. right ?My head is mush right now .

    Thank you i never even knew this was an issue.





    I had a good day here at AI

    1 million or more sold .

    Excellant !!!
  • Reply 93 of 138
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    NO!



    Notice how DaveGee used in his post the phrase "little ditty"



    You should have chosen...



    "Little ditty about Jack & Diannneee,

    two American kids do'in best they can!"



    (thank-you to John Cougar Melloncamp)



    ...Oh yeah, life goes onnnn... long after the thrill of living is done!



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJz-x6idd8



    Oh boy another annoying catchly kitchly song.I Will now play darkstar by the dead and the some rare acoustic hendrix on wooden guitar. MAYbe amazing sparks , who at woodstock or i go home alvin lee

    woodstock ....HMM what? live have a cigar by pink floyd

    sound's good .
  • Reply 94 of 138
    Awesome sales numbers Steve! I find it great that you took my suggestion that the iPhone should be slightly faster! Thanks man! Hey, feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk, or maybe hang out sometime? I live in Florida so you are going to have to fly your sick ass down here and pick me up.



    Congrats!
  • Reply 95 of 138
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,305member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post


    Awesome sales numbers Steve! I find it great that you took my suggestion that the iPhone should be slightly faster! Thanks man! Hey, feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk, or maybe hang out sometime? I live in Florida so you are going to have to fly your sick ass down here and pick me up.



    Congrats!



    (In honor of wilco, now apparently banned again):
  • Reply 96 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    (In honor of wilco, now apparently banned again):



    Are you sure it's him? Seahawk Fan was sent to Coventry last night. He may have just realized it and made another name.
  • Reply 97 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Are you sure it's him? Seahawk Fan was sent to Coventry last night. He may have just realized it and made another name.



    Wilco normally just comes on with a one or two line insult, and then leaves without making another comment.
  • Reply 98 of 138
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,305member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Are you sure it's him? Seahawk Fan was sent to Coventry last night. He may have just realized it and made another name.



    What I was saying was -- apparently the intended jest did not quite pan out -- I would make a wilco-like comment during his enforced absence (and in his honor)!



    (Perhaps that is what Mel was also suggesting......)
  • Reply 99 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Wilco normally just comes on with a one or two line insult, and then leaves without making another comment.



    That is true. ShF2 would probably be considerly more caustic.
  • Reply 100 of 138
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    (In honor of wilco, now apparently banned again):



    I wondered about wilco ? What made him tic ?
Sign In or Register to comment.