Upgrade fee sees few iPod touch users updating to 3.0 software

Comments

• Reply 21 of 136
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

In any case, this update does one very major thing that isn't apparent to iPhone users but will be for iPod touch users, it increases 3D gaming performance by 3 times or more.

Does it really? How does it do this - I haven't heard anything!
  • Reply 22 of 136
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Apple annoys users on purpose, profits, then blames the government, ....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Anyone not wearing blinders has already realized that Apple has no need to charge for these updates. ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

This whole "accounting" thing is just a front for Apple to justify bilking Touch users an extra $10.00. ...

Looks like the kids have joined the thread.

Isn't there school right about now? But seriously, you guys don't even seem to know what the argument is. It's totally lame to argue strongly against something when you don't even (apparently) know the facts.
  • Reply 23 of 136
    Nobody asked you to pay. By the way, I already posted how to upgrade for free. I don't need any funky apps and obviously don't buy them. I will not pay to upgrade to Windows 7 (will pirate) and I don't see why I would pay to upgrade an Apple. You guys have already spent a lot for this device that will probably become obsolete Apple releases the iPhone HD7. You guys already see how snow leopard won't support PowerPC computers that were made only 4 or 5 years ago. Windows 7 Beta, however, runs on my 6 year old PC (albeit crappily, but still, more than I expectt).

I don't pay to upgrade internet explorer to get "faster browsing" so I don't really understand why anyone pays to upgrade thier ipod touch. this is a joke.
  • Reply 24 of 136
    ianxianx Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

So users will pay $10 for an app but not to update their device. Makes no sense.

The AdSense service is pretty much only on free applications. So all this really tells us is that people who are unwilling to pay for applications are also unwilling to pay for an OS upgrade.
  • Reply 25 of 136
    rei_vilorei_vilo Posts: 31member
    I paid the USD 10 for the update (well, EUR8) on my iPod touch 2G.

The fact is, the iPhone/iPod touch OS 3.0 brings the lowest minimum on an iPod touch. Landscape keyboard, StreetView, Copy/Paste, search, synced notes: all those features should have been included in the previous release or even on the very first release.

But to-do list is still missing: shall we wait for OS 4.0 and ten more bucks So the Ipod touch is still not a PDA .

Bluetooth is poorly implemented. Exciting new features like the voice command is not featured on the iPod \.

My iPod touch seems slower and is going hot now .

My advice? Don't rush on the update and wait for the new generation of iPod touch next September...
  • Reply 26 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IndianPwnerDude View Post

I don't think it is worth it to pay $10 to upgrade your OS. I upgraded for free by going to http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ and downloading the firmware for my iPod, turning it off, holding home for ten seconds and then plugging it in to my computer and continuing to hold home until it went to restore mode. Then I shift clicked the restore button in iTunes and used the firmware I downloaded. I had to change the extention to .ipfw.

I don't pay money to Apple to upgrade but I sure do use the benefits.

Do you also post about how proud you are when you steal a DVD player, or a loaf of bread?
  • Reply 27 of 136
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Nobody asked you to pay. By the way, I already posted how to upgrade for free. I don't need any funky apps and obviously don't buy them. I will not pay to upgrade to Windows 7 (will pirate) and I don't see why I would pay to upgrade an Apple. You guys have already spent a lot for this device that will probably become obsolete Apple releases the iPhone HD7. You guys already see how snow leopard won't support PowerPC computers that were made only 4 or 5 years ago. Windows 7 Beta, however, runs on my 6 year old PC (albeit crappily, but still, more than I expectt).

I don't pay to upgrade internet explorer to get "faster browsing" so I don't really understand why anyone pays to upgrade thier ipod touch. this is a joke.

This post made me giggle ;P

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianx View Post

Do you also post about how proud you are when you steal a DVD player, or a loaf of bread?

Gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat. Otherwise we'd get along!
  • Reply 28 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

The fact is, the iPhone/iPod touch OS 3.0 brings the lowest minimum on an iPod touch. Landscape keyboard, StreetView, Copy/Paste, search, synced notes: all those features should have been included in the previous release or even on the very first release.

But to-do list is still missing: shall we wait for OS 4.0 and ten more bucks So the Ipod touch is still not a PDA .

Bluetooth is poorly implemented. Exciting new features like the voice command is not featured on the iPod \.

My advice? Don't rush on the update and wait for the new generation of iPod touch next September...

You are right. The iPod touch is not a PDA. It isn't meant to be. It's a wide-screen iPod with some addition Internet related features, and gaming.
  • Reply 29 of 136
    hngfrhngfr Posts: 72member
    i updated my ipod touch as soon as it was available, call me carzy, but i think the 2 extra screens to add more apps is worth the price alone. after i upgraded the software i did a restore, it took nearly 7 hours, 32gb, i really can't tell any speed difference, but i know i have 32 more apps on my ipod,
  • Reply 30 of 136
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

And why $10? How about $1.00? Where does the $10 number come from?

YEAH... why not $100?

That's what MS would charge.

I upgraded my touch (yup, broke the bank with $9.95 (not 10) to yet again get feature and performance increases that under other models would require a whole new device.

Right. Cut/paste, performance increases (definately there), global search, new apps, etc etc is worth nothing. Jeez.

And for those claiming that SOX compliance is a ruse, just wait until you've gone through a SOX audit.

Speak when you know when you're talking about.

I swear that the whining makes me want to join the Apple haters.
  • Reply 31 of 136
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

YEAH... why not $100?

That's what MS would charge.

I upgraded my touch (yup, broke the bank with $9.95 (not 10) to yet again get feature and performance increases that under other models would require a whole new device.

Right. Cut/paste, performance increases (definately there), global search, new apps, etc etc is worth nothing. Jeez.

And for those claiming that SOX compliance is a ruse, just wait until you've gone through a SOX audit.

Speak when you know when you're talking about.

I swear that the whining makes me want to join the Apple haters.

Why don't you calm down and stop trying to come up with excuses for Apple's pricing by saying Microshaft would charge more? Lets keep this discussion to facts, not imagination.

The update seems to bring a lot to the table, but 10 dollars to you and I might be a bit more valuable to someone else, know what I mean? To each his own.
  • Reply 32 of 136
    Quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your poster child criminality and idiocy.

Case rested.
  • Reply 33 of 136
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    only 44% of iphones upgraded because people were waiting for Ultrasn0w, i bet most have upgraded by now.

today i got an invoice from itunes for 13downloaded free apps, total due $0.00. why? i've never received an email like this before. weird.
  • Reply 34 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Why don't you calm down and stop trying to come up with excuses for Apple's pricing by saying Microshaft would charge more? Lets keep this discussion to facts, not imagination.

The update seems to bring a lot to the table, but 10 dollars to you and I might be a bit more valuable to someone else, know what I mean? To each his own.

I'm perfectly calm, particularly since I got good value.

The whiners are the ones peeing their pants and throwing tantrums because they want everything for free.
  • Reply 35 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianx View Post

Actually, I don't steal physical things. I bought my iPod touch for $230 just like I buy my DVD players and my bread and my computers. I buy my software too, just not updates because I have already helped out the company.

Quote:

I think the iPod is actually an excellent PDA. If you are a PDA purist (and just want a good PDA), the $20 sharp organizers are actually pretty decent. These days, nobody buys a standalone PDA. They are all integrated with internet, phone, mp3, blah, blah. The iPod touch can download images, manage e-mail, surf the net, and sync with calendar, etc. It is more than most PDA's do, although there are still a few things that my old palm pilot does better. But it is much better than that Windows Mobile nonsense... not to trash Microsoft, I use Windows on my Desktop.

I agree that waiting until the new iPod touch with similar chipset to the iPhone should come out because it is a lot faster. The processor itself handles 2 instructions at once and is 1.5x the frequency with more L1 cache and an L2 cache as well as more RAM. Three months is a fair wait for a superior device.

Oh wait, the ZUNE HD will be coming out at the same time and will also offer HDMI connection to the television with 720p or 1080p (not sure, but will have a slower ARM11 processor). I have to wait and see the performance benchmarks to decide whether I will be buying anything. My 1G ipod touch, however, probably does more than enough for me.
  • Reply 36 of 136
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

While most sites, (this one included), always phrase the issue is "should they charge for the update," in fact charging for OS updates is the norm and the iPhone getting it for free is the abnormality.

Charging for OS updates is not the norm for consumer devices.

Let's take a look:

Cell phones - always free

PDAs - always free

Consoles - always free

Apple TV - always free

iPod classic - always free

iPod touch - $10 a time

It's the iPod touch and not the iPhone that's the abnormaility.

I paid for the v2.0 because it added a feature (the app store) that, to me, was worth the money. However, most of the v3.0 features are really only useful to iPhone users. I won't be upgrading.
  • Reply 37 of 136
    sartorsartor Posts: 8member
    Making us pay $10 for a very capable, stable, and significant upgrade is one thing, but to make us pay for an upgrade that should have been free/included in a basic upgrade, and one that is simply very flawed is another.

My ipod touch 2g (with 8 gig free), is constantly telling me, no wifi signal available, when before the upgrade, it could easily / solidly see my in home wifi. I am regularly having to turn off/on my wifi setting to reset the connection. I open up any of: app store, itunes, or the valuable wiki app, it's telling me no wifi available, OR esp in App store, or itunes, it's immediately asking me to LOG IN/Verify my password! WTF!!! Didn't they test this damn thing before release, and charging us $$ for this weak upgrade!?? Geesh!

Quote:

• Reply 38 of 136
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattwilsoninc View Post

I am definitely reverting back to 2.2.1. 3.0 is not faster at all. I have had issues with accessing wireless as well as the 3G network on the phone. "Rebooting" the iPhone many times per day sucks. Some of the games/apps do not work as smoothly namely GalaxyOnFire 3D. The "touch" interface response seems "slower".

My $.02,

M

When you reboot your phone, do you notice a difference? Before 3.0, the apple logo would come up and then it would show the home screen icons coming into view. But since 3.0, the apple logo comes up and then the screen goes blank. If I hit the Home button, it shows me the locked screen.
  • Reply 39 of 136
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Charging for OS updates is not the norm for consumer devices.

Let's take a look:

Cell phones - always free

PDAs - always free

Consoles - always free

Apple TV - always free

iPod classic - always free

iPod touch - $10 a time

It's the iPod touch and not the iPhone that's the abnormaility.

I paid for the v2.0 because it added a feature (the app store) that, to me, was worth the money. However, most of the v3.0 features are really only useful to iPhone users. I won't be upgrading.

A simple and well reasoned post. I agree 100%.
  • Reply 40 of 136
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Meh. If they don't want to update, it's their loss. Perhaps they simply don't understand what the update does.

I think a lot of people view it as a maintenance type of thing, and they decide since it's working fine as it is, they won't need to shell out $10 for nothing.

I actually think most people are just happy with the way things are. I have noticed changes to my iPhone and I would always upgrade but I upgraded my wife's iPhone and I'm not sure if she knows it. Were I to ask her if I should upgrade she would probably answer 'whatever'. So ten bucks? For what? in most people's eyes, me thinks. The thing works fine as it is.