Upgrade fee sees few iPod touch users updating to 3.0 software

Comments

• Reply 81 of 136
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Reasons for upgrade differences between Touches and iPhones have been given by Apple.

They're either good enough for you or they aren't.

You don't have to upgrade. So don't.

Spend the money on apps instead, then. Whatever.

Much ado about nothing.
  • Reply 82 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Oddly your list left out another Apple product with free point updates which I hear is still being manufactured: computers.

Wrong. Software updates to OS X are point updates (10.5.6 -> 10.5.7) which are, pretty much without exception, just bug fixes and security patches with no significant new functionality.

Upgrades to OS X (ie Tiger -> Leopard) on the other hand cost money. The iPod Touch fw upgrades that cost money (1.x -> 2.x or 2.x -> 3.x) are the equivalent of a Tiger to Leopard upgrade.
  • Reply 83 of 136
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Anyone not wearing blinders has already realized that Apple has no need to charge for these updates. It was originally an issue with Apple unlocking the Wireless N features in Macs. That, at least made some sense because it was unlocking additional hardware not previously advertised as being present. The Touch updates don't unlock new hardware not already present, they are just software updates. If SarbOx required payment for software updates, the updates to the AppleTV (like the one that was just put out this week), PS3, XBox 360, and numerous other devices would all require similar payments.

Doesn't this Touch update unlock previously un-advertised Bluetooth capability? That sounds like hardware just like the WiFi N thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelab View Post

The iPod Touch fw upgrades that cost money (1.x -> 2.x or 2.x -> 3.x) are the equivalent of a Tiger to Leopard upgrade.

Except they offer 1/10 the functionality at 1/13 the cost. Not a bad deal
  • Reply 84 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IndianPwnerDude View Post

Actually, I don't steal physical things. I bought my iPod touch for $230 just like I buy my DVD players and my bread and my computers. I buy my software too, just not updates because I have already helped out the company.

IndianPwnerDude <-- You are a TROLL.

I love how TROLLS justify their stealing!

You don't steal physicals things because your FEAR of getting caught. Try stealing an iPOD touch. Can't do it, right? Try stealing an off the shelf Windows box, can't do it right?

That would be embarrassing to get caught and you'd have a record and potential risk to your income.

so you disguise this FEAR by saying you're already SUPPORTING the company buying the device.

WEAK arguement. Try again.

So you buy the device (whooopeee!). but the company CONTINUES to SPEND MONEY on RESEACH and DEVELOPMENT, continues to SPEND MONEY on PAYROLL, on EMPLOYEE BENEFITS, etc.

so the improved user experience the UPGRADE provides has COST MONEY to DEVELOP.

YOU KNOW THIS VERY VERY WELL, STOP BULLSHITTING YOURSELF ALONG THE WAY.

YOU'RE A THIEF, YOU'RE A TROLL. WELCOME TO YOUR LIFE.

and if you're such a renegade, go and actually steal a physical item. go for it, TROLL!

• Reply 85 of 136
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    iPod touch users complaining about $10 is pathetic!

iPhone users pay a monthly fee, this what subsidizes iPhone OS updates for iPhone users.
  • Reply 86 of 136
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

So having both a touch and an iPhone, one gets updated for free while the other is a $10 charge to satisfy some accounting rule. With exactly the same software. What if your desktop OS was updated for free but your laptop OS was a $10 charge due to some obscure accounting rule? It's the dual pricing strategy/scam that irks customers.

Why aren't OS or App updates priced the same way, on both platforms?

Well, maybe because the iPod touch is cheaper? In a number of European countries, Apple itself sells the iPhone 16 GB for ?600 and the iPod touch 16 GB for ?280. So even when paying for let's say five OS upgrades, the touch is still far, far cheaper.
  • Reply 87 of 136
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

sorry if i read screaming. why don't you read what i said. if you feel cheated you would have to change the laws to change it. Don't get off subject on this and whine whine whine.. This isn't about apple choosing the way to handle subscription accounting presented by ATT and the competition. This is the way they are handling it. And, it is not because it is easier as mentioned in another post. it is because they simply had to go along with subscription method accounting in order to lower the price from $600 to $200 and be competitive on the street.

i don't think you get itl? or why would you feel cheated? you are really not getting it at all?

Where am i whining ??? Where do I say I feel cheated ? ?

I get it

I get it.

I get your point.

I'm only stating that 99 percent of itouch users don't know about gapp.

All they see is that one party gets it for free and one party pays $10 dollars.

Do you get that ?

ok

peace my friend

• Reply 88 of 136
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

IndianPwnerDude <-- You are a TROLL.

I love how TROLLS justify their stealing!

You don't steal physicals things because your FEAR of getting caught. Try stealing an iPOD touch. Can't do it, right? Try stealing an off the shelf Windows box, can't do it right?

That would be embarrassing to get caught and you'd have a record and potential risk to your income.

so you disguise this FEAR by saying you're already SUPPORTING the company buying the device.

WEAK arguement. Try again.

So you buy the device (whooopeee!). but the company CONTINUES to SPEND MONEY on RESEACH and DEVELOPMENT, continues to SPEND MONEY on PAYROLL, on EMPLOYEE BENEFITS, etc.

so the improved user experience the UPGRADE provides has COST MONEY to DEVELOP.

YOU KNOW THIS VERY VERY WELL, STOP BULLSHITTING YOURSELF ALONG THE WAY.

YOU'RE A THIEF, YOU'RE A TROLL. WELCOME TO YOUR LIFE.

and if you're such a renegade, go and actually steal a physical item. go for it, TROLL!

Except that work around comes from apple itself from the apple support site .The indian dude only made himself look like a hacker dude . He just did what many were told to do by apple support .

I hope you feel better .

• Reply 89 of 136
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intruder View Post

Well I think Apple didnt get the memo...

They should know by now that most consumer only want to buy thing from the App Store at 0.99$ or get it for FREE.

Get into the program and release a lite version for FREE or at most sell it for 0.99$ and you will get ton of purchase...

But the funny thing is that I wont even surprise if its the way a lot of consumer are thinking now. Especially looking at the downward spiral for the pricing on the App Store, one day a game is $9.99, then drop to $4.99 and shortly after to $0.99

Fred

It's great that developers can 'name their price' and find the optimal level for their app. It may not seem fair to the early adopters, but that's the risk you take when you buy something.
  • Reply 90 of 136
    maxmannmaxmann Posts: 85member
    All they see is that one party gets it for free and one party pays $10 dollars.

Do you get that ?

peace my friend

9[/QUOTE]

So why don't we charge the iphone the same $10 software upgrade?

It's not the 10 dollars its feeling cheated .

Well.. here is see you saying "feeling cheated" in your post..

One does not get it free and the other pays $10. One pays for it in a 24 month subscription fee and the other pays for it on demand.

peace to you 2
  • Reply 91 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Why would Apple be giving money to developers?! This is an upgrade that Apple worked on.

And the developers in question would be employed-by-Apple developers. I should have been clearer. What I meant to say is that I hope the Apple developers who worked on the 3.0 firmware release would see at least some of the $10 fee going to their paychecks.
  • Reply 92 of 136
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Wait, why the heck have only half the iPhone users upgraded??? It's free and it makes your iPhone do everything noticeably faster - not to mention all the added features.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Some people don't sync very often. Not everyone reads online forums avidly.

Some people might have got burned with a previous update and are waiting a couple of weeks to make sure it works.

Certainly I think the update is well worth it for iPod Touch users, given the faster browsing at least.

I agree. I maybe sync my iPhone to iTunes once a week, if that. The major reasons are 1) to refresh/update my music library, 2) any OS updates/upgrades, and 3) backup my apps. I would suspect the majority of people sync for those 3 reasons. It could also be that a lot of iPhone users just don't see the value in upgrading the OS on their iPhone.

As for the iPod Touch $10 OS upgrade fee, I think it makes perfect sense. Do you not have to pay for new Mac OS X upgrades? Sure, the 10.X.X updates are free (as are iPod OS updates), but to actually acquire 10.X, you have to pay. Yet a lot of you think that the iPod Touch 3.0 upgrade should be free. Why? Because the iPhone OS upgrade comes free? I know some have a hard time with this, but the iPhone and iPod Touch are different products. Personally, I view the free OS upgrade for my iPhone as a perk for (willingly) paying more to own the iPhone, for one; and two, paying $100 per month as part of a cellular subscription. And people are seriously complaining about having to shell out $10. The same people who I'm sure gladly dish out $.99+ for apps or games and have filled multiple pages on their device. Please.
  • Reply 93 of 136
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

If i was you buddy i would fix my post to stop screaming .

Coming from the guy whose posts are seemingly put together by a random word generator...

• Reply 94 of 136
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It is what it is, I guess. Personally, I find it worth the $10, even though Safari seems to have been marginally crippled by the update. It's much slower and has trouble viewing more web sites.

You know, I haven't used it that much since updating but it did seem slower on Safari. What's up with that?
  • Reply 95 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmc6000

Wait, why the heck have only half the iPhone users upgraded??? It's free and it makes your iPhone do everything noticeably faster - not to mention all the added features.

Pleez half the people who've bought iPhones probably don't even know it's a smart phone. How many people buy MAcBook Pros and only use it for the internet? These devices for many are status symbols.
  • Reply 96 of 136
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    $10 to upgrade an iPod? No thanks. It works fine the way it is now.
  • Reply 97 of 136
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

So users will pay $10 for an app but not to update their device. Makes no sense.

What's worst is that they spend their money on these apps and only use them a few times. The new OS rev would benefit them everyday.

These are probably the same people that want a free OS update.

Dave
  • Reply 98 of 136
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelab View Post

Wrong. Software updates to OS X are point updates (10.5.6 -> 10.5.7) which are, pretty much without exception, just bug fixes and security patches with no significant new functionality.

Upgrades to OS X (ie Tiger -> Leopard) on the other hand cost money. The iPod Touch fw upgrades that cost money (1.x -> 2.x or 2.x -> 3.x) are the equivalent of a Tiger to Leopard upgrade.

Thank you for quoting my post (in which you include the word "point") while obviously not reading it!!

\

I clearly differentiated between - and discussed - point and version upgrades and their relationship to the topic at hand (and, yes Tiger did pick up a new small trick or two, if no biggies, in its course of point cycles).
  • Reply 99 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What's worst is that they spend their money on these apps and only use them a few times. The new OS rev would benefit them everyday.

These are probably the same people that want a free OS update.

Dave

Just how excatlly, besides bluetooth , is it a 'fantastic upgrade"? Have tests been conducted comparing with and without on a Touch?
  • Reply 100 of 136
    nizynizy Posts: 24member
    Most people would only know about it through an iTunes sync, which in 2 weeks is not necessarily going to of occurred. My dad sync his Touch maybe once every quarter.

Most iPhone and Touch users don't follow Apple blogs, watch Apple keynotes or pay attention to Apple's website and they don't know OS 3.0 even exists! Several of my friends use iPod Touches, but didn't know about the update until I mentioned it.

Adoption rates will increase when:

a) Apple begins marketing OS3.0. When users see it on TV or it shows up in iTunes, then they'll know about 3.0.

b) apps/ games start using 3.0 features in significant ways, maybe even being not available for 2.2.1.