Upgrade fee sees few iPod touch users updating to 3.0 software

Comments

• Reply 101 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nizy View Post

Most iPhone and Touch users don't follow Apple blogs, watch Apple keynotes or pay attention to Apple's website and they don't know OS 3.0 even exists! Several of my friends use iPod Touches, but didn't know about the update until I mentioned it.

My god, what DO they do????
  • Reply 102 of 136
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Not quite sure I understand this sentence, but If someone feels the upgrade isn't worth it, they don't have to spend $10 on it.

Someone on a budget might decide to save their money while others might use $10 bilsl to light their cigars and the price of the upgrade is meaningless to them...
  • Reply 103 of 136
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

it is business and following the complex legal requirements of the SEC and public markets we invest in. AS it is, the SEC has enough corruption and cheating to go around for everyone. Do you think Apple should just not follow the law to keep your little hearts happy? Well, they are not following the law to make $10!!!

The $10 has to show fair value for what is set up in the subscription model for upgrades. it is called a standard. it has to be reasonable and not subject to question. In fact, it is much harder to justify $10 than $20 and not the other way around with giving it away for a dollar as some suggest here as solutions (see you in jail). AGAIN.. Apple did not invent the subscription model. If any other company comes out with a two product line up - phone and touch example, they will have to do some very fancy accounting to avoid what is already a standard in accounting practices with similar circumstances to what Apple has encountered. AGAIN.. APPLE DIDN'T COME UP WITH THIS PLAN ON PURPOSE - THEY CAME UP WITH IT BECAUSE THEY HAD NO CHOICE WITH A SUBSCRIPTION BUSINESS FORMAT THAT HAPPENS TO CROSS OVER INTO THE IPOD TOUCH PRODUCT USING THE SAME SOFTWARE.

DO YOU REALLY THINK APPLE COULD GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THE $10?.. WHAT THEY WANT TO DO IS SELL HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE. THE NAME AFTER APPLE IS "CONSUMER ELECTRONICS" .. ARE YOU ALL JUST STUCK IN A COMPUTER MIND SET OR CAN YOU ADAPT TO WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON NOW FOR OVER TWO YEARS?

D

There is no accounting principle or law anywhere which says that you must charge any price for any goods or service you sell. I can't prove a negative so it's up to an opponent to show me this.

However a company DOES have a mandate to act in its shareholders interests - and logically that means stinging customers where it can. You've seen enough complaining on the matter with iTouch users. Imagine the howls of approval in trying to make an iPhone user - who is already paying for something on a monthly basis - stump up another ten bucks. It isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 104 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

IndianPwnerDude <-- You are a TROLL.

I love how TROLLS justify their stealing!

You don't steal physicals things because your FEAR of getting caught. Try stealing an iPOD touch. Can't do it, right? Try stealing an off the shelf Windows box, can't do it right?

That would be embarrassing to get caught and you'd have a record and potential risk to your income.

so you disguise this FEAR by saying you're already SUPPORTING the company buying the device.

WEAK arguement. Try again.

So you buy the device (whooopeee!). but the company CONTINUES to SPEND MONEY on RESEACH and DEVELOPMENT, continues to SPEND MONEY on PAYROLL, on EMPLOYEE BENEFITS, etc.

so the improved user experience the UPGRADE provides has COST MONEY to DEVELOP.

YOU KNOW THIS VERY VERY WELL, STOP BULLSHITTING YOURSELF ALONG THE WAY.

YOU'RE A THIEF, YOU'RE A TROLL. WELCOME TO YOUR LIFE.

and if you're such a renegade, go and actually steal a physical item. go for it, TROLL!

You do know what a troll is don't you? A troll is someone who trolls for comments like a fisherman trolls for fish with a net. Trolling involves putting a comment out there that draws the most attention and gets the most replies, like "The PS3 has no games."

"I love how TROLLS justify their stealing!" I don't really see trolls talk about stealing more than others. You should have just said thieves.

Now, look at your response, look how worked up you got, and how angry you come off. This is exactly what he wanted. Calling someone a troll in a reply to them doesn't mean anything to them. You've replied. You've done exactly what they wanted. The fact that you got all worked up and bent out of shape is just icing on the cake lol
  • Reply 105 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Is Windows Mobile 6.5 or 7 going to be free for past customers?

6.5 will be for some, but I have no idea about 7. I think with 7 Microsoft is actually implementing a set of rules a device must adhere to before being able to run it. One of those specs is at least a 480x800 resolution. Another one is a designated start menu button lol.

6.5 on the other hand should be a free upgrade to most people who've bought their phone recently (past 1-2 years or so.) I've read many places that Sprint will offer a free 6.5 upgrade to Touch Pro users.
  • Reply 106 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

$10 to upgrade an iPod? No thanks. It works fine the way it is now.

LOL! This is the mentality of a lot of these people that haven't upgraded yet. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Common sense.
  • Reply 107 of 136
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

LOL! This is the mentality of a lot of these people that haven't upgraded yet. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Common sense.

A few of my friends with the touch asked me if I upgraded yet. They didn't want to fork out the $10 until they saw what the hoopla was about. I think we agreed, $10 for cut-and-paste... didn't Apple say cut-and-paste was a low priority?
  • Reply 108 of 136
    jimlatjimlat Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

How can there be a law which makes it illegal for companies to give away free stuff? If Apple's interpretation of the law is correct, then the Senate has some explaining to do.

Microsoft has updated the firmware on the Zune twice to ver 3.0...I upgraded my 30gb 1st gen both times...and there was no charge. Why was the a $10 charge twice to upgrade the frimware on my 1st gen 32gb touch?
  • Reply 109 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Absolutely LOVE the glaring "leap to conclusion" logical fallacy that it "must" be the $10 upgrade fee that has chuffed iPod Touch users so badly that they are skipping the update.

Not a shred of substantive and supporting evidence that price is the primary factor.

Maybe not, but judging from many of the responses on this thread even if the sampling is small, the $10 is an issue.
  • Reply 110 of 136
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimlat View Post

Microsoft has updated the firmware on the Zune twice to ver 3.0...I upgraded my 30gb 1st gen both times...and there was no charge. Why was the a $10 charge twice to upgrade the frimware on my 1st gen 32gb touch?

Simply because Apple know they have a captive audience.
  • Reply 111 of 136
    amtwwgamtwwg Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

the problem is really bigger than a simple idea that apple is doing this to make money. In fact, apple, being a Consumer Electronics Company, has every intention of selling hardware and giving the software (tools) to sell it away. So, the SEC legal rumblings are not untrue - but rather complicated. The stock price alone, might be 50% higher at this moment if wall street recognized the true earnings of the company. Don't forget, ATT is paying them up front the 350.00 plus per phone and it could be recognized in the quarter report instead of amortized over 720 days. As hard to believe as it is - wall street does not recognize all that cash as profit until it is shown as actual profit divided out over the life (720 days) of the phone. This is not ideal for apple, investors or ipod touch users. However, you can't skin a cat two ways in this case - as the relationship with ATT is with a subscription model. Apple did not invent it - and in fact started out selling their phones for full price without it. However, the phone business requires the subscription model to be successful (see competition). So, can anyone bitching about the $10.00 stop and realize you can't have a subscription model with the phone (software free) and then give it away with the touch for free without a subscription model. it isn't rocket science. it is business and following the complex legal requirements of the SEC and public markets we invest in. AS it is, the SEC has enough corruption and cheating to go around for everyone. Do you think Apple should just not follow the law to keep your little hearts happy? Well, they are not following the law to make $10!!!

The $10 has to show fair value for what is set up in the subscription model for upgrades. it is called a standard. it has to be reasonable and not subject to question. In fact, it is much harder to justify $10 than $20 and not the other way around with giving it away for a dollar as some suggest here as solutions (see you in jail). AGAIN.. Apple did not invent the subscription model. If any other company comes out with a two product line up - phone and touch example, they will have to do some very fancy accounting to avoid what is already a standard in accounting practices with similar circumstances to what Apple has encountered. AGAIN.. APPLE DIDN'T COME UP WITH THIS PLAN ON PURPOSE - THEY CAME UP WITH IT BECAUSE THEY HAD NO CHOICE WITH A SUBSCRIPTION BUSINESS FORMAT THAT HAPPENS TO CROSS OVER INTO THE IPOD TOUCH PRODUCT USING THE SAME SOFTWARE.

DO YOU REALLY THINK APPLE COULD GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THE $10?.. WHAT THEY WANT TO DO IS SELL HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE. THE NAME AFTER APPLE IS "CONSUMER ELECTRONICS" .. ARE YOU ALL JUST STUCK IN A COMPUTER MIND SET OR CAN YOU ADAPT TO WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON NOW FOR OVER TWO YEARS?

D

This guy-- Maxman-- is clearly a moron-- or an accountant-- but let's face it when it comes to business this is usually the same thing. You can tell by the condescending attitude. Hate to break it to you but accounting isn't that difficult, it's just REALLY boring. So we get it, trust us.

Keep in mind SarbOx is a law, that while unquestionably flawed, was created to protect us from unethical and incompetent accountants. They couldn't help the company be profitable so they manipulated the numbers.

The only thing he's right about is that this isn't a money grab on apple's part, because it's really a branding issue. I'll get to that in a minute.

Apple does NOT have to charge for this update. They are choosing to because their accountants and legal people are recommending that they do from a liability perspective. Because they are a big company and have deep pockets, they don't want to take any chances that they could get fined. So they are limiting risk.

Apple could easily charge 99 cents for this and that would mitigate any risk they have. The $9.95 doesn't protect them any more than a 99 cent charge would. But they aren't charging $9.95 to make money on the update, they are doing to increase the value of their software.

What's the difference between the Zune and Ipod? Most people would say user interface i.e. software. This "interpretation" of the law allows Apple the opportunity to maximize the perceived value of their biggest differentiators, the software. A 99 cent charge would be a foolish thing to do. You don't give away "things" people value very often if you want to keep the value of that "thing" maximized. It's basic business and is core to their specific business model. Apple provides premium products priced "appropriately" for their worth. That's the model and they are forced in this case to charge a decent price for the update if they are going to be true to their brand.

It kind of sucks-- I have a touch and an Iphone-- but if we're honest, it's what most of us are buying from Apple, that brand. We want to be amazed at Apple's next product, next software innovation. But those things cost money to develop and if we want Apple to continue to change the game, we have to be willing to pay the price. If they give this away it will start to chip away at their very healthy profit margins. They owe it to their shareholders to not undersell their brand.

Now on the merits of this upgrade, I have it on my Touch and I see no discernible benefit but on the IPhone it's significant, so until there is a must-have 3.0 only app, the Touch upgrades will significantly lag behind the Iphone. Some will be because of the cost but most will be because the user doesn't see the value.

But people that complain about this aren't whiners or idiots. It's a viable position and there's plenty of evidence-- which others have posted about-- which supports their position. It isn't as cut and dried as Maxman would have you believe. So save the attitude buddy and go back to bean counting....
  • Reply 112 of 136
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dopik View Post

Guys:

The revenue accounting treatment for iPhone & AppleTV vs. iPod has nothing to do with SOx.

It is due to US GAAP on the following:

SAB 104 vs SOP 97.2

To make it simple, Revenue can only be recognized once the service has been performed. if one has to provide software update down the road, it means that at the time of purchase, the product was not fully delivered to the buyer thus revenue should not be recognized. US GAAP allowed to recognized a certain percentage if the seller is able to forecast a percentage of completion.

By recognizing the revenue on a subscription basis, Apple is saying that the product is not fully delivered at the time of sell. it is to simplify their accounting.

If that is the case, then why is Apple charging for this update in the rest of the world, since US law doesn't apply there
  • Reply 113 of 136
    what they forgot is unofficial download. it means free. there are already tons of torrent files for 3.0 software around the internet. so if we acount that number, total percentage will be way more than what graphic chart shows.
  • Reply 114 of 136
    voodooruvoodooru Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You do know what a troll is don't you? A troll is someone who trolls for comments like a fisherman trolls for fish with a net. Trolling involves putting a comment out there that draws the most attention and gets the most replies, like "The PS3 has no games."

"I love how TROLLS justify their stealing!" I don't really see trolls talk about stealing more than others. You should have just said thieves.

Now, look at your response, look how worked up you got, and how angry you come off. This is exactly what he wanted. Calling someone a troll in a reply to them doesn't mean anything to them. You've replied. You've done exactly what they wanted. The fact that you got all worked up and bent out of shape is just icing on the cake lol

LOL so true! I wasn't as worked up as the post may suggest and I did realize during the writing that I was heading into troll territory myself.

I just want to call out this idiot. that's all.

"peace and love, peace and love!"

• Reply 115 of 136
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    "I noticed that my iPod seems slower, mainly because transitions from one screen to another are choppier"

Restore it.

Our v1 Touch had the battery METER running down within an hour and the battery minder coming up constantly. The battery was fine. Just needed a reset.

Our v2 suffered similar symptoms to yours. A restore fixed it.

There are a lot of people on Apple's boards that are lucky they can spell iPod. They probably never thought there may be a reason why the Restore button exists (in iTunes) in the first place.
  • Reply 116 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Wait, why the heck have only half the iPhone users upgraded??? It's free and it makes your iPhone do everything noticeably faster - not to mention all the added features.

Because they haven't synced their phone with their computer for months....

I know lots of people like that,

Perhaps people aren't upgrading the touch to 3.0 because they upgraded to an iPhone....my wife did, and I know others that have also
  • Reply 117 of 136
    Why do some of these posters keep mentioning how 3.0 has unlocked bluetooth on their iPod touch? Someone even commented that the bluetooth on his iPod touch wasn't staying connected.

You guys do realize that the iPod touch doesn't have a bluetooth transmittor in it, right?

Software can't add a feature that isn't present in the hardware. Are you guys too young to know how this works or just unfamiliar with the concept of hardware limitations?
  • Reply 118 of 136
    Try: Settings > General > Bluetooth
  • Reply 119 of 136
    Perhaps because people are having problems updating? I've tried for days to get my iPod Touch v1 to update to V3.

I downloaded the new 8.2 iTunes, went through the purchase process, it started to download 3.0 and then started to install. unfortunately, It gets stuck at "Preparing iPod for update", and the iPod displays the "connect to iTunes" image. After a few minutes, iTunes times out with an "unable to update" error message, erro code 1602 or 1604. Afterwards, iTunes will not recognize it even being plugged in, and I have to restore it to version 2.2 using an old version of iTunes on a different computer.

I've tried 3 computers, different USB ports, different user accounts, different Windows XP and Vista installations, etc. Nothing seems to work, and Apple has been worthless.

Is anyone else having similar issues with the 3.0 upgrade on iPod Touch??
  • Reply 120 of 136
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnveiledFaces View Post

Why do some of these posters keep mentioning how 3.0 has unlocked bluetooth on their iPod touch? Someone even commented that the bluetooth on his iPod touch wasn't staying connected.

You guys do realize that the iPod touch doesn't have a bluetooth transmittor in it, right?

Software can't add a feature that isn't present in the hardware. Are you guys too young to know how this works or just unfamiliar with the concept of hardware limitations?

Of course, you're absolutely incorrect. And since the fact that the iPod Touch had/has Bluetooth had already been established several times through this thread, the only question remaining is whether or not you are retarded.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPod-Tou...news-3642.html

"To be more specific, the uncovered Broadcom chip was found capable of single-band 2.4GHz 802.11b/g, dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz 802.11a/b/g. Additionally, it had Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR support and an advanced FM receiver. Simply put, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities were already present in the iPod Touch, with the latter deactivated via software."