Macworld San Francisco 2007

Comments

• Reply 61 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

In the future eventually.. Apple will have even simpler choices for their products, enabling buying one as easy as brushing your teeth. In particular notebooks. The Pro and consumer products will merge. You will have a choice of about two speeds (fast or very fast), 3 display size, materials (plastic or steel), and colors.

So when in a store you'll be shown 3 sizes, and you'll be asked what size you want. Then you'll be shown a few books in that size of different materials and colors, and asked what one you like. All the colored ones will be the same cost (he he), and the metal ones you will be told are more durable, but cost a little more. You wont choose the RAM as that will come in only one spec and wont be upgradable (it will be so high, that you'll never use it all). A few choices for GPU, depending on what you will be doing with your book, and what you may do with it in the future. Then you're done. They could call it the MacBook, and you choose what you want.

So then you could make your computer look pro or not, be big or small, be fast or very fast, be black, white or other colors you may want, be metal or plastic. You get what you want, cause you choose - from a list of high quality products in various powers, sizes or colors.

balls!

have you seen the price of 16 Gigs of RAM?
  • Reply 62 of 256
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

balls!

have you seen the price of 16 Gigs of RAM?

eventually
  • Reply 63 of 256
    .mac is dead.

.mac merger with google announced.

Full Integration with Address book, iCal, iWeb, iChat, Mail and TimeMachine

All services integrated with iPhone. (iSynk)

Free.
  • Reply 64 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newton

.mac is dead.

.mac merger with google announced.

Full Integration with Address book, iCal, iWeb, iChat, Mail and TimeMachine

All services integrated with iPhone. (iSynk)

Free.

Exactly what I'd love to see. A dot mac account would be Google's free services on a little Apple style 'roids plus a little extra storage.

And I dont understand why all the people waiting on a spreadsheet app arent already using Google's online spreadsheet. Its free. And unless you just have to have charts then it is just as good and doesnt take up any hd space and is accessible everywhere.

Google is already beta testing iCal to be Sync compatible. Those Mac devs at Google are up to some cool stuff.
  • Reply 65 of 256
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    iWork 07

-Pages Update - lets you choose between Word Processor and Layout View, has Index

-Keynote Update - Text Styles, OPML import, more robust Powerpoint export, and other stuff

-New Database app with strong spreadsheet flavor

-Support for Open Document and (MS) OpenXML formats (both are supported by TextEdit in Leopard builds)

- Much improved vector drawing support in all apps.

- Localization: more languages supported.
  • Reply 66 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Hmmm... you say the Macbook Pro doesn't go past 120? and yet you seem to imply the Macbook does. I could be wrong with this one but it seems my Macbook doesn't go past that mark either. Or if it does then not by very much because 170? is almost entirely flat. Why the hell does anyone need it open that much?

Well, if you have a 20" long neck it sure would help.
  • Reply 67 of 256
    -Sales/ego booster (we will enslave the human race)

-Leopard Preview which runs flawlessly, demonstrates new video iChat and calls up Balmer to tell him he sucks, Jobs moons Balmer. Hysteria in crowd.

-iLife updates with uber crazy things, comes with remote with "COMMAND" and "Z" function

-iTunes (new version released), iTMS now features adult films

-iWork 07 with lotsa updates, cool features, will remove and destroy Office upon installation

-iPod HiFi reduced to a mind-blowing $299, now comes in black and brown

-MBP update - new feature with anti-theft shocking device, delivering 3,000,000 volts to the would-be thief as well as taking snapshot of thief and wirelessly transmitting it to your cellphone/email/local authorities

One more thing: iPhone.
  • Reply 68 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoopaDrive

-MBP update - new feature with anti-theft shocking device, delivering 3,000,000 volts to the would-be thief as well as taking snapshot of thief and wirelessly transmitting it to your cellphone

so you can laugh as they die
  • Reply 69 of 256
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 70 of 256
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

*sigh*

They are 2 VERY different companies. They imply a lot but they are not going to be joining Google Accounts with dotMac and truth be told I'd be pissed if they did.

I have used their Spreadsheet App and the only reason I would use a Spreadsheet App is to make a chart. GS is useless to me. So I mostly just stick with Docs until iWork 07 comes out.

And for the last time, THERE IS NO GOOPLE/AGGLE/GAPPLE/GAGGLE!!!

I'm going to put a gun to Steve Jobs's head and make him do it now, just to prove u wrong

Seriously though, whether its in the work or not, Apple could benifit a lot from a partnership with google. Especially with gootube (google video), and built in iSight cameras on practically every important Apple product

Additionaly, .Mac is practically dead. And for any Diggnation viewers on these forums, you might remember their comentary on apple moving in interesting directions with regard to windows compatiability. Having Mac users and WIndow users on the same service would be a big, and probably necersery step in that direction.

EDIT: And I'm gonna burn for a lot of those comments, I can tell already
  • Reply 71 of 256
    Null.
  • Reply 72 of 256
    One thing about Google. They wont let Apple make money by using their tools. They are pretty devout when it comes to free access. But Google's presence on the board of directors has to manifest somehow.

I really expect there to be some sort of show of that at MacWorld. I think we'll get an idea of where this is going. I'm looking forward to that as much as the hardware stuff. Especially seeing how a Blue-Ray Mac Mini + iTV console has to be a year or two off still.
  • Reply 73 of 256
    integration / collaboration doesn't mean one will take over the other when it comes to google and apple.

keep that in mind.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 74 of 256
    Ok, here is where I see MWSF07 going in January:

1) Recap of what happened during the Christmas buying season. This season appears to be really good for Apple, and to mention it will drive that point home.

2) iTunes+iPod. They may announce an iTunes major update, but it will not be to a 8.0, I think it might go to 7.1 or 7.5.

3) iTV. They will announce when it will become available (I think probably Feb 07). Steve already said that they were going for the price-point of $299. I think that they will also announce that it will have a hard-drive in it, with the ability to add more drives to increase space. That seems to be the only real way to handle this problem, without having another computer running and trying to stream all at the same time.

4) Leopard. He will show more consumer-oriented reasons as to get Leopard. They will go into the iCal additions, the new Mail.app, Safari, and the new stuff with iChat. They will show what the Resolution Independence will mean to the end consumer, and offer more about what Time Machine is and how it can be used. I think it will go on sale in Feb 07 as well.

5) iWork/iLife. There is a lot that can happen in here. I think that iPhoto has come a long way, and probably performance issues will be addressed. GarageBand and iMovie also will get some minor tweaks to it, I can't think of what else it might need. However, iWeb will have a major overhaul in how it renders things. I think it will be more CSS compliant, and won't be using images for everything. I also think they will allow for people to upload to any server they want, not just .Mac accounts.

iWork needs some major help, especially in the Pages area. There needs to be some performance boosting done to this application. I think they will also release Numbers, the spreadsheet alternative to Excel. I also think that they may make a database application, utilizing either SQLLite or MySQL (probably MySQL for the performance and standardization aspects of it). If they do make a database application, it will have to be easy to use, and hopefully without the need of using archaic command-line sentences to get at your data. Of course, all of the iWork applications will have access to the iLife side of the house and visa-versa.

6) The death of the .Mac. I think with the Google collaboration they will do away with this paid service, and offer it for free. OR they will keep the paid service for the full version of it, but have a free version (via Google) that will have mail and web presence.

7) One More Thing: iPhone. This phone will not be tied to a particular carrier. You will be able to buy the SIM cards from Apple directly. Using either the data-streaming from the phone itself, or if you are near a WiFi access, you can buy iTunes right from your phone. It will be running Leopard-Lite, so it will look just like your Mac some of the functionality built right in. It will also have Bluetooth capabilities, so you can sync your Address Book, iCal, and iTunes from your phone. Some are saying it will have a camera in it, I am thinking video camera. This might be the first phone to have integrated Video Chat via iChat. All of this for $299 - $399.
  • Reply 75 of 256
    Null.
  • Reply 76 of 256
    Probably time for this!

Or not- who knows- it's been too long!

BENj
  • Reply 77 of 256
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member

delete

• Reply 78 of 256
    I'm with Mgkwho, they seem fairly realistic!
  • Reply 79 of 256
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    MMkay...

SJ will recap christmas season, gloat about ipod sales figures, make thinly veiled joke about the Zune, progress reports on Leopard, not actual release, blahdy blah...

Things we will PROBABLY see:

My Nostradamus side predicts: New Cinema Displays (about bloody time too), possibly a new 19" widescreen low end, this seems to be becomeing standard for new WS's.

More details, if not actual release of iTV. (anyone else think this might be a mac mini replacement? Just putting it out there)

Price drops on the Macbooks. These are too expensive for a consumer notebook. The ibooks started about $250AUD cheaper, and before you yell student discount, not everyone is a student, and even if they are, you have to be a student at a participating school. Which I'm not, so I'd like a price drop

Things we MIGHT see:

iPhone, again, details if not release. If this isn't released, they may well do a special event not shortly after, given rumors about it entering manufacture.

Video ipod would be asking a bit much, given three major releases already predicted. Unless they decide to do iPhone and Video iPod at a seperate 'Special Event'

Gamers Mac: This is on the less likely of the mights, but I did hear a rumor somewhere about a mid tower, aimed at gamers and more advanced computer users. You know, the people that might actually open their tower sometime. This would be nice, and is the 'headless' mac that everyone on these forums at least seems to lust for, but I doubt we will see it. The only reason it's with the mights is becuase what would Macworld be without a Mac announcement?

New Apple website design, probably a briefer mention, as it doesnt really concern consumers.

.Mac updates.

New Mac Pro (the octo core, probably no major exteriour case redesign, apple seems to like what they have atm) Doubtful, but again where would Macworld be...

Things we WONT see:

Macbook/Pro redesigns. It's not gonna happen, get the f*** over it.

iMac redesign Not gonna happen, much as I hate the current case for its overly consumerish look, and lack of easy expandability (these things are a BITCH to get open), its not gonna happen.

Microsoft/Apple merger. Just to give you an idea of how very unlikely the above two are
  • Reply 80 of 256
    macbook price drops would be insane!! i'm grabbing one after MWSF! I dunno if it'll happen though, they seem to be selling like hotcakes!