OK. WTF Here be Official MacWorld SF2007 Countdown Thread

Comments

• Reply 181 of 499
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmendis View Post

I don't think there'll be a 14" MacBook.

...as for a wild, crazy rumor: Apple licenses Mac OS X to Dell!!!

My reason for thinking this is that Apple never really entered the the Direct/Mail order/Phone retail business that Dell staked. Also when at NeXT, Dell was one of the first licensees of NEXTSTEP for Intel.

Mac OS X for Dell to run on say exclusively on AMD powered Dell and Alienware machines.

That way, there would be little overlap of hardware with Apple's offerings...

As with all alliances/partnerships, Apple will see how successful it is and if it doesn't cannibalise sales...ala HP iPod, IBM license of NEXTSTEP, etc. It is however, likely to capture a great deal of media attention...though this is all hearsay. I'm just having a laugh at guessing at what's up Steve's sleeve :-)

you're obviously not aware of how deep the bad blood between apple and dell runs. michael dell at one point said apple should close its doors and liquidate the company, as it is clearly not viable. steve jobs at least once basically called dell's products shit. why in the world would you think jobs would want to work with a company whose products are shit?

consider especially that dell's stock is nearly in the toilet and apple surpasses dell's market cap.

here's a rumor: apple buys dell, closes it down!
  • Reply 182 of 499
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iggypopped View Post

you're obviously not aware of how deep the bad blood between apple and dell runs. michael dell at one point said apple should close its doors and liquidate the company, as it is clearly not viable. steve jobs at least once basically called dell's products shit. why in the world would you think jobs would want to work with a company whose products are shit?

consider especially that dell's stock is nearly in the toilet and apple surpasses dell's market cap.

That's a nice thought

Sebastian
  • Reply 183 of 499
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    2 days, 16 hours, 14 minutes

AAPL = $85.05 \t

Thanks for playing ...1 Day of Trading on Monday then Boom! RDF City.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/15690108.htm

"Legal road ahead for Apple includes probe by Feds

By Scott Duke Harris

Mercury News

Apple Computer founder and Chief Executive Steve Jobs can expect sharp scrutiny by federal authorities despite its announcement that an internal review of stock option irregularities found ``no misconduct'' by Jobs and other members of the current management team, legal observers said Thursday.

The Wall Street Journal on Thursday reported that federal prosecutors in San Francisco are looking into the company's stock option practices.

The computing giant on Wednesday said it was turning over its files to the Securities and Exchange Commission. Its findings included ``serious concerns regarding the actions of two former officers.'' Apple had no comment Thursday.

The SEC is scrutinizing 29 other Silicon Valley companies for possible options improprieties. Meanwhile, a task force formed by the U.S. Attorney's Office is looking into potential criminal wrongdoing by the companies.

``This is sure to get criminal look-see,'' said Chris Gibson of Gibson Group Advisors, a company that works with investment groups and law firms on class-action settlements.

Nine civil suits have been filed against Apple over options irregularities."
  • Reply 184 of 499
    This just in: Apple Computer, Inc. refines it's policy of all products being shipped with a limited one-year warranty. There's a new option now: AppleCare Extended Warranty has been expanded and rebranded as "AppleSue Extended Warranty and Automatic ClassActionLawsuit Registration".

Steve Jobs was strangely exuberant while explaining, "This way, for every product we release, we get just about 1 class action suit -- it's way easier to manage, and keeps us from expanding our legal department to outrageous sizes."

In a related announcement Apple has filed for a special "Investor AppleCare AutoLawsuit" with regards to its stock on Nasdaq. For 1% of the current share price, an investor is automatically enrolled into a single class action lawsuit against Apple, limited to 1 class action lawsuit per 6 month (2 financial quarters) period.

The Wall Street Journal has heralded this move as "Trailblazing". Analysts such as G. Munster of PiperJ, explain further: "Essentially since lawsuits have reached a ridiculous and totally arbitrary, absurd level in the US, this allows consumers and investors to auto-enroll in an extended warranty and lawsuit package".

"Anyone that elects not to purchase the extended warranty and lawsuit package essentially accepts the traditional notion, that you are personally responsible for what you buy and choose, and that you're not allowed to just sue for every single thing, like a tiny little scratch on your iPod because you were stupid enough to put it in the same pocket as your keys".

"For investors, by purchasing the auto-enrol AppleCare Investor AutoLawsuit, essentially there will be an ongoing legal recourse to sue Apple for whatever corporate mistakes it does, 24/7/365. Limited of course to 1 lawsuit per rolling 2-financial-quarter (6-month) period".

Apple has revolutionized the computing and entertainment industry with its signature series of iPods, Macintosh computers and iTunes Store media offerings. It plans to do the same in a bold move that will shake the bloated, insane legal industry to its very core.
  • Reply 185 of 499
    Quote:

I'm not sure if you're laughing at me, or at the idea of Apple being able to produce an ultra-light Mac? ...

We're laughing *with* you not *at* you...
  • Reply 186 of 499
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

This just in: Apple Computer, Inc. refines it's policy of all products being shipped with a limited one-year warranty. There's a new option now: AppleCare Extended Warranty has been expanded and rebranded as "AppleSue Extended Warranty and Automatic ClassActionLawsuit Registration".

Steve Jobs was strangely exuberant while explaining, "This way, for every product we release, we get just about 1 class action suit -- it's way easier to manage, and keeps us from expanding our legal department to outrageous sizes."

In a related announcement Apple has filed for a special "Investor AppleCare AutoLawsuit" with regards to its stock on Nasdaq. For 1% of the current share price, an investor is automatically enrolled into a single class action lawsuit against Apple, limited to 1 class action lawsuit per 6 month (2 financial quarters) period.

The Wall Street Journal has heralded this move as "Trailblazing". Analysts such as G. Munster of PiperJ, explain further: "Essentially since lawsuits have reached a ridiculous and totally arbitrary, absurd level in the US, this allows consumers and investors to auto-enroll in an extended warranty and lawsuit package".

"Anyone that elects not to purchase the extended warranty and lawsuit package essentially accepts the traditional notion, that you are personally responsible for what you buy and choose, and that you're not allowed to just sue for every single thing, like a tiny little scratch on your iPod because you were stupid enough to put it in the same pocket as your keys".

"For investors, by purchasing the auto-enrol AppleCare Investor AutoLawsuit, essentially there will be an ongoing legal recourse to sue Apple for whatever corporate mistakes it does, 24/7/365. Limited of course to 1 lawsuit per rolling 2-financial-quarter (6-month) period".

Apple has revolutionized the computing and entertainment industry with its signature series of iPods, Macintosh computers and iTunes Store media offerings. It plans to do the same in a bold move that will shake the bloated, insane legal industry to its very core.

Where do I sign up

http://sueapple.com

Sebastian
  • Reply 187 of 499
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iggypopped View Post

I think you under-estimate Jobs.

He's not going to let something personal get in the way of good business...and if he did/does have a grudge it wouldn't be against Mr.Dell, it would be John Sculley (remember him?

I believe that Steve Jobs has political ambitions.

(Do note that Al Gore is on Apple's board and good buddy).

If Steve does leave Apple in the following years, i expect it will be to enter politics.

So apart from other things, i expect he will demonstrate his abilities at Democracy and to bury the hatchet. I mean why should Dell be Apple's enemy?

Also note: Dell is speaking at CES about the same time as Steve's keynote.

Could there be a cross announcement?

With Steve going on live over to CES to announce Mac OS X on Dell/AMD and Dell coming on live link to Macworld?

(Does anyone know the actual times of both keynotes?)
  • Reply 188 of 499
    There are people who buy Dells

In particular, AMD powered machines tend to be at the low end (from Dell) and price/performance gaming machines (from Alienware): two segments that Apple doesn't really make products for.

As with any Apple alliance it will be a wait and see how successful it actually is.

Oh and about the clones: Sculley era clones were parasitic no-brands.

Dell would be just 1 "clone" maker in which there would be no overlap of hardware (by say licensing it for only AMD processors say) and different market segments.

Clearly, Mac heads like you will still buy Macs...but students on a budget (who normally wouldn't afford a Mac) or gamers (who would rather a Alienware PC for the tricked out graphics) may switch.
  • Reply 189 of 499
    Quote:

I believe that Steve Jobs has political ambitions.

(Do note that Al Gore is on Apple's board and good buddy).

If Steve does leave Apple in the following years, i expect it will be to enter politics.

Good lord, no. He is a smart businessman—100%. As such, it's very smart to have a politically connected advisor on the board of directors to work with Apple on issues that could be problematic or advantageous in the political arena. He has no designs on political office, but I wouldn't bet against him becoming the next head of Disney.
  • Reply 190 of 499
    2 days 12 hours 23 minutes

Here we go!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 191 of 499
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    2 Days 10 Hours 45 Mintutes ... last update before loooong sleep tonite, wish tuesday comes tomorrow sigh

it is indeed loooooooong weekend!
  • Reply 192 of 499
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

2 Days 10 Hours 45 Mintutes ... last update before loooong sleep tonite, wish tuesday comes tomorrow sigh

it is indeed loooooooong weekend!

It's intense for me now... Bidding on MacBook Core Duo (yonah) 2ghz 2GB RAM! !!! superdrive 4x DVD+-R
  • Reply 193 of 499
    Quote:

It's intense for me now... Bidding on MacBook Core Duo (yonah) 2ghz 2GB RAM! !!! superdrive 4x DVD+-R

• Reply 194 of 499
    Quote:

I won it !!!!! woooooooo000000000000ooooooooooooooooooooot !!!!1111111!!!!

I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, kinda way hyped now. I'll be inspecting the goods, if all checks out as promised, seller (in my city) will get da cash.

After some thorough checks I'll report back in Current Hardware/ Temporary Insanity.

GAWD. It's been over 2 fracking years since I had my own Mac.

2GB RAM !!! *does happy dance* .............

2GB RAM = Parallels = Coherence = F8ckBootcamp! = Lock&Load XP2pro = Lock&Load Vista(research purposes)

2ghz Core DUO. Enough CPU. 2GB RAM. Enough RAM. Only bottleneck is display+hard disk. I'll live with 60gb 5400rpm for now, because YOU CAN EASILY SLOT IN A SWEET 100gb 7200rpm Seagate. Awww yeah.

Display? Meh, I haven't played a latest PC game for going into 6 months now. Core Image, etc... Yah, whatevs, let the CPU handle it. 1280x800 - at least 1280 wide res for webdesign/ viewing/ testing if I actually get back to working sometime this year ..... DVI to bigass screen if needed.

Okay. One step at a time. Firstly, making sure seller gives me contact details, I take my posse and we go check that everything's legit before making payment.

One step at a time.

Oh, I guess there's this MacWorld thing as well.

I'll live with Tiger and iLife'06 for now, I have iWork'06 for now... Stable Leopard won't be worth it until middle-2007. iWork'07? I sure as hell won't be buying it this year unless I see some *serious* MSOFFICE-killing features on Tuesday.

Universal Adobe-Macromedia CS3... Well... I'll do with PC-Windoze PhotoshopCS2 and Macromedia Studio 8 on Windoze as well for now......

Dead pixel fear --- well, the eBay condition was no dead pixels. I'll stare at the screen for like a few minutes to make sure when I pickup.

*SIGH* Life is great. Just my ego and ambition that fracks me up. The shifting goalposts in life. The ladders. Mental and physical health.

The challenges of a PC+MAC world. A changing world.

W00000000000ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

One day I need to be able to illustrate properly as well (ie. develop my own style, able to wrangle with Adobe Illustrator smooth and productive and easy-quick with Wacom tablet.....). But meh. We'll put that goal for 2020 or something. Probably need a 26" screen by then to just read websites.

Apple for LIFE. Something simple, satisfying, an even BASE for work. Creativity for hobby. Hobby for creativity. Life for Health. Health for Life. Spirit for Life. Life for Health and Spirit.
  • Reply 195 of 499
    2 days 6 hours 3 minutes
  • Reply 196 of 499
    Quote:

I won it !!!!! woooooooo000000000000ooooooooooooooooooooot !!!!1111111!!!!

W00000000000ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Apple for LIFE. Something simple, satisfying, an even BASE for work. Creativity for hobby. Hobby for creativity. Life for Health. Health for Life. Spirit for Life. Life for Health and Spirit.

that was some pretty good temporary insanity you got there =D

i just have to say i'm extremely happy with my mac purchases this year. very happy with the hardware apple put out this year. the imac g5 with isight was great, but the imac with a core duo was the tipping point. an imac with 24" screen, c2d and geforce7600 was an unstoppable force to me.

i had the great pleasure of buying a core duo macbook for a family member as a gift. comparing it to the aging 1.5ghz 12" powerbook g4 i have, there was no comparison. the screen brightness at its lowest setting was far more bright than the powerbook at its highest setting. glossy is clearly usable and good. after macworld, and unless something magical happens, the powerbook is finally getting replaced with a black macbook. i'm sorry, but to all you glossy naysayers... you havent got a clue about what your talking about. i would call the macbook's screen quality bleeding edge.

i left the fold for a few years. the classic OS -> OSX transition were dark days for me, lost in the windows wilderness. i assembled my own pc's, i saved little time or money doing it. no more. i have finally put my foot down and decided that as long as apple progresses this well from here on out, apple is the only brand of computer i buy from here on out. they've won me over by reaffirming the only road they'll take is the high road of quality.

bring it on apple. my wallet awaits your merciful punishments.
  • Reply 197 of 499
    Quote:

I'm not sure if you're laughing at me, or at the idea of Apple being able to produce an ultra-light Mac?

Well think of it as a portable quivalent of the iTV device with an almost exclusive FrontRow type interface: something we can really watch videos on! Given that is fantastic product of my imagination, i would also think that it's more likely to ship alongside Leopard and the new iTV device. But who knows...

i included smilies to imply i wasnt being sh1tty

my take on what you said was that of an ultra light 12" macbookpro type product which seems unlikely to me.

but from what you write above, it seems more like some kind of 12" ipod video/phone/tablet which given the lack of interest in PAYING CUSTOMERS for a tablet.. seems unlikely as well.

i do feel i have made a number of "that wont happen" type comments, but believe me its not cos i dont think any of them would be cool, some of the stuff thats been talked about on these forums i would be over the moon about if they were released, Irelands Black MAc TV for example.

i just dont see ME buying one, abut i also dont see the BIG market for a number of things either... however, i would be delighted if they were released AND sold in their millions.

---

i also realised this is my first "proper" macworld on tempory insanity mode this time last year i was in hospital waiting for heavey chemo and a bonemarrow transplant and had to rely on an ibook being brought in to the hospital with various webpages loaded on it for input... the transplant was hard.. but no internet for 9/10 weeks was CRAZY!

so, im a year on, bloody glad to be here and LOVING the temp insanity of it all

2 DAYS! W()()T!!1!1!
  • Reply 198 of 499
    Quote:

bring it on apple. my wallet awaits your merciful punishments.

You don't want to take that challenge. They'll turn your Wallet into a pathetic pile of

Sebastian
  • Reply 199 of 499
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

i also realised this is my first "proper" macworld on tempory insanity mode this time last year i was in hospital waiting for heavey chemo and a bonemarrow transplant and had to rely on an ibook being brought in to the hospital with various webpages loaded on it for input... the transplant was hard.. but no internet for 9/10 weeks was CRAZY!

so, im a year on, bloody glad to be here and LOVING the temp insanity of it all

2 DAYS! W()()T!!1!1!

This time last year I was at St. Mary's and didn't have the option of having an iBook coming in Forunately it was only 6 days...

Sebastian
  • Reply 200 of 499
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

You don't want to take that challenge. They'll turn your Wallet into a pathetic pile of

Sebastian

speak for your own wallet@! the worst they could do to me now would be a macbook thin, which i think would use the same 13" widescreen, why go down in size? just thin up the edge bezel, cut the weight in half, put in a 32gb flashHD, include a light and slow superdrive, double the battery, and charge $2000+ for it. the comprimises would be minimal, benefits obvious.

it wouldnt be an entry level product, i cant believe some people would actually think it'd be priced under a macbook. so rediculous. they dont know apple very well do they. apple likes full featured subnotebooks, that arent really subnotebooks. ie, apple doesnt make stripped down notebooks, period. aint gonna happen. never no way no how. it may be small and light, but it will also be full featured, or it wont exist at all. praise be jobs.