Some things the iPhone NEEDS, imo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post

I am one of those pleading for more memory. The reason why is simple, I am looking at the device as a media player first with phone functionality thrown in.

Remember how small the first iPods HDD was, and where it's gone.

Are you saying you want everything an iPhone has, plus an internal HDD?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think we all agree the touch screen interface will migrate to the iPod line, from the top down. Might see the "true video" 60/80GB model sooner than later.

I wonder how you'd make a "true video" 80GB model. The iPhone looks thicker than an iPod already. Do we want an iPod without phone/wifi/bluetooth? (thus also no internal speaker, microphone, or antennas) to which we add a hard disk and cache (for battery life). I assume it'd still be pretty expensive! (no phone contract to drop $500 from the cost). Do we still want OSX on the device for iTunes, calendar etc? Applets wouldn't work, nor web, email etc... but I guess if we want the rest we need the same chip set.

I don't think we'll see a "true video" model anymore. A longshot might be an iPhone with everything except the phone. It could use bluetooth to get net access via your existing phone or computer (or wifi otherwise?). You could even make calls via bluetooth (can bluetooth headsets make their phone dial a certain number?) Without an internal phone/antenna, there might be room for a HDD. I have my doubts though.

--- stop the press

I'm wrong. maybe.

Apple got patents for having a touch pad around the sides of a screen right? Is it possible they could have a full screen ipod that uses those touch pads? Most of steve's finger gestures would have worked if done on the edge of the screen too - eg scrolling down songs would use the touchpad down the right hand side (just slide on the touchpad). Play, stop, forward, back could be at the bottom of the screen...

I need to watch the demo again, could every finger movement (for the iPod functions) could be replicated with a touch pad on the outside. If so a cheaper/simpler device might be quite possible.
  • Reply 22 of 144
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    Request:

Make the QUERTY-keyboard scale (grow) when the iPhone is flipped into landscape.

It would definitely make it easier to type text...
  • Reply 23 of 144
    I think we all have to keep in mind that the iPhone is nonetheless amazing. Look at where we are with the iPod. Back when it first came out, it was 5GB with a black and white screen. Now it's 80GB with a color screen that plays full movies. The iPhone is a fantastic first entry into the field, and it will only get better. However, I'm going to wait a little bit so technologies catch up so that I can justify myself spending $600 on a phone/mobile computer/smartphone/God's gift. Plus, I don't feel like starting a new contract with Cingular just yet, I need to be able to fund myself and see what kind of plans they'll be offering.

It's only a matter of time, so it's not like I'll be waiting forever. Apple's going to keep this thing rolling along.
  • Reply 24 of 144
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post

... evil french Canadians ...

wtf? I think there is enough enmity between Quebec and the rest of Canada without idiots like you peddling more hate. Why don't you go live in Montreal and spend some time getting to know some "evil French-Canadians." Perhaps you'll even come to appreciate their perspective on separation.
  • Reply 25 of 144
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I think 8GB will do the job (for now), and we'll see more shortly. I am surprised that an 8GB Nano is $50 more than a 4GB Nano - but an 8GB iPhone is $100 more than a 4GB. What's up?

This is just the way mark-up works. Apple's mark-up is a certain percentage of the cost of the device. Suppose that the mark-up is 25%. The Apple would sell a $160 device for $200, and a $320 device for $400; thus if you add a $40 component to each of these devices, the selling prices will be $250 and $500, respectively. This is how the price of the iPhone goes from $500 to $600 with the addition of the 4GB, when the price of the Nano only goes from $200 to $250 for the same increase in memory.
  • Reply 26 of 144
    yeah out here in the southeast, 3g isn't very prevalent. Go to a cingular store and look at their 3g chart. I did when looking at getting a helio, but couldn't because I didn't have 3g in my area. ( south carolina )

3g would be nice, but they can't physically get enough towers up in time for launch of the iphone. although I am sure the iphone will spure cingular/at&t to adapt 3g much faster.
  • Reply 27 of 144
    agreed, 3G is not even in los angeles where i live, thats rediculous, i think maybe version 2 of iphone, for now i think EDGE is a better idea so people dont get pist when they figure out they dont have 3G in their area and possibly waisted their money
  • Reply 28 of 144
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

Request:

Make the QUERTY-keyboard scale (grow) when the iPhone is flipped into landscape.

It would definitely make it easier to type text...

I thought about this too. Its a good idea.

How about a USB port so you could connect a keyboard and mouse to it??

I wonder if it would be sensible to add in handwriting recognition software so you could use a stylus pen to write stuff into documents or whatever???

I'm also wondering if this thing will come with a pda type app?

- Mark
  • Reply 29 of 144
    iChat mobile not present? WTF, even the most basic phones do im now

windows mobile has office, iwork mobile necessary.

3G also needed, video chat would be awesome

Also, no mention of iPod game's compatibility. Imagine 3rd party modern games. playing GTA on your iphone! PSP watch out!

They should go with the Zune on the streaming

Bluetooth data transfer, at least contacts and cal, videos and music hopefully

Also, they need to figure out how to do a Wireless itunes store, even 2G phones allow some kind of music or video downloading

Love the iPhone, but the info wasn't detail enough to answer some questions.
  • Reply 30 of 144
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arindlaub View Post

Somebody said on Macdailynews that appleinsiders told him that 3G can be done via software. If true, great.

I like your idea on video chat. For the life of me, I don't understand why cell phones don't have this feature...
  • Reply 31 of 144
    Quote:

Also, no mention of iPod game's compatibility. Imagine 3rd party modern games. playing GTA on your iphone! PSP watch out!

Also, they need to figure out how to do a Wireless itunes store, even 2G phones allow some kind of music or video downloading

iChat is on the phone no worries

and i agree i think he didnt mention more into detail about all this stuff because theres still a lot of time and work to do before release date..i think hes taking everyones feed back in and putting his people to place all this on the phone..who knows maybe 3G will be on the final release and it wil be open app..
  • Reply 32 of 144
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

iChat mobile not present? WTF, even the most basic phones do im now.

iChat is being updated in Leopard. Its likely they are not ready to show it yet.
  • Reply 33 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Somebody said on Macdailynews that appleinsiders told him that 3G can be done via software. If true, great.

I like your idea on video chat. For the life of me, I don't understand why cell phones don't have this feature...

wow if it is done on software..which it probably will be because everything is pretty much software based on the cell network, then WOOHOO haha, but we still wont have the camera on the front of the phone for video conference, but then again who knows it may have it on the final release if people bug Jobs enough about 3G, if he realizes he is losing money because without 3G his 1% mark wont happen, he may very well implement it..
  • Reply 34 of 144
    Quote:

Because its likely a battery killer. What would be the point of video communication if you can only talk for a few minutes.
  • Reply 35 of 144
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Of course it does IM. Nobody has called it "iChat Mobile" yet, but iChat bubble style IM was demoed.

The ability to open Office docs or a mobile iWork is a given, if not right off the bat.

See the remarks about 3G deployment in the posts above. Having the latest and greatest just to have it when most people in the US can't take advantage of it and it significantly impacts battery life is not smart, it's just spec whorage.

Games, also , just a matter of time.

A wireless iTunes store is almost certainly blocked by the record companies. The cell carriers can sell music from their stores because of truly draconian DRM. Wireless iTunes means syncing with your computer, moving things around, etc. Ditto wireless phone to phone transfer, which is why MS's implementation is so limited.

Bluetooth transfer of contacts is a must, however.
  • Reply 36 of 144
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

1.iChat mobile not present? WTF, even the most basic phones do im now

2.windows mobile has office, iwork mobile necessary.

3.3G also needed, video chat would be awesome

4.Also, no mention of iPod game's compatibility. Imagine 3rd party modern games. playing GTA on your iphone! PSP watch out!

5.They should go with the Zune on the streaming

6.Bluetooth data transfer, at least contacts and cal, videos and music hopefully

7.Also, they need to figure out how to do a Wireless itunes store, even 2G phones allow some kind of music or video downloading

I numbered your points to make them easier to respond to

1. While it obviously didn't show up in our faces, I think SMS Chat was iChat. Obviously not iChat in the context of Audio/Video/Text through your AIM account, but more like iChat may see SMS features in Leopard, and SMS will act as a Text Chat.

2. Who actually uses Mobile versions of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint? May I ask why? I just can't see any use for them, and even then, the iPhone isn't exactly suited to any of these. Neither is any other phone out there. Oh, and iWork doesn't compete with Office, well Keynote could compete with Powerpoint, but my point is they don't compete, Apple isn't very competitive in Business world.

3. When 3G is actually more widespread, Steve will add 3G. So far it's Reach is not very far in the US, which is where it is launching first, and where Apple is located.

4. Hmm, no mention but we could still see them. Don't hold your breath for GTA though, the iPhone doesn't exactly appear to be well suited for any type of gaming beyond simple games in it's current form and design.

5. Nah, it's not needed.

6. Haha, this is probably going to see the light of day. If you have a Bluetooth enabled phone now you can sync it with your Mac in iSync.

7. Not needed.

Sebastian
  • Reply 37 of 144
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

wow if it is done on software..which it probably will be because everything is pretty much software based on the cell network, then WOOHOO haha, but we still wont have the camera on the front of the phone for video conference, but then again who knows it may have it on the final release if people bug Jobs enough about 3G, if he realizes he is losing money because without 3G his 1% mark wont happen, he may very well implement it..

The Phone would have to have the Hardware already built into it to handle 3G via a simple Software Update.

His 1% market won't happen if he goes exclusively with 3G.

That is the final model, it was shown early not because it was unfinished, but because it has to be FCC approved.

Sebastian
  • Reply 38 of 144
    ya i agree on the the wireless transfer or itunes, it will most likely happen with calender/contacts/etc with bluetooth wireless sync, but the itunes, records companies have got to have stopped this, means you could just walk to anyone with itunes sync it and take music that costs $ for a single user, not 2....this was probably wanted by Jobs and denied by the record companies...but thats kind of good because most wireless things can be hacked i dont want people stealing music off my computer or even my phone which would probably be possible with wireless sync abilities
  • Reply 39 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

The Phone would have to have the Hardware already built into it to handle 3G via a simple Software Update.

His 1% market won't happen if he goes exclusively with 3G.

That is the final model, it was shown early not because it was unfinished, but because it has to be FCC approved.

Sebastian

well i think 3G is just a bad idea..but im gonna go 50/50 on him placing hardware on the device for later 3G usages, he did say it was to come, maybe he is already implenting the hardware for it, hopefuly...

and i dont think it is the final device, he still has a while for FCC to approve it i think small things such as apps and gps on google maps as well as other cool feature may be included in the final design, especially the back of the phone, doesnt look finished at all to me
  • Reply 40 of 144
    Quote:

Who actually uses Mobile versions of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint? May I ask why?

There does need to be a word and excel reader so you can view the documents, those two formats dominate e-mail. I agree power point is useless.

I think GPS would add expense for a function that is not widely used.