Adobe Fireworks CS3 to deliver deep layering support, slideshow creator

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The upcoming version of Macromedia's former web graphics application is set to replace ImageReady in the next version of Adobe's Creative Suite with a simplified photo slideshow creation tool as well as a much tighter link with Photoshop.

As part of its testing for Fireworks CS3, internally dubbed "Agni" after the Vedic god of fire, Adobe is putting to work some of the first fruits of its buyout of Macromedia in 2005. The visual editing firm has thoroughly revamped Fireworks to join its features closely with those of Photoshop CS3, people familiar with the project say, beginning with the addition of a simple tool for creating photo slideshows.

Key to many of the other expected changes is the addition of hierarchical layer support, those same people say. Where the previous version of Fireworks assumed only basic layering and would destroy any hierarchy created in a Photoshop image, the new edition will add sub-layers for filters and other special effects that will follow their parent layer around as it moves.

The change will also bring in a swath of basic image editing tools from Photoshop that can be closely integrated with the new structure. Drop shadows, glows, and overlays will be applicable to given layers and will dynamically adjust themselves as the layer objects move or change shape. Layer blending effects such as burns, dissolves, and dodges will also be enabled through the Fireworks update.

Almost without surprise, the refreshed application will reportedly hook deeply into many of the common platforms Adobe has used in recent versions of the Creative Suite. Objects in Fireworks CS3 are will be shareable with Illustrator, Photoshop, and the rest of the Creative Suite through Adobe Bridge. They'll also use the company's XMP to add metadata to images when sending them towards other CS3 applications. Font handling will also fit the Adobe model.

Despite the overwhelming attention given to making Fireworks at home with its peers, Adobe has also reportedly added genuinely new features to the editor, foremost of these an album creator that strings photo collections into a slideshow that uses HTML or Flash -- even if the user has no experience with either.

Other changes will extend to new symbol types controllable through JavaScript, multi-page PNG files with their own layers, and a 9-Scale technique that adjusts the overall size of a bitmap or vector without losing the proportions of specific regions such as borders.

Fireworks CS3 is due to launch as a Universal Binary at the same time as the rest of CS3 suite in spring of this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Screenshots?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Adobe is doing a LOT of work on CS3. not only am I not surprised at how long it's taking to come out, I'm surprised it isn't taking even longer.

Too bad I only beta test PS (and Bridge) for them, I would love to see all the rest.

I'll have to wait with everyone else. \
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I have Fireworks CS3 (Fireworks 9 is used in the Application), and will check out the features reported here... I am no FW Expert

PM me for info :P

-tj
  • Reply 4 of 24
    iveive Posts: 23member
    Nice first step Aboby....

But no 64-bit app's : (
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ive View Post

Nice first step Aboby....

But no 64-bit app's : (

A 64-bit app isn't necessarily faster. The increased ovrehead on processes that don't require so much memory space can actually slow things down. There was a recent article about this in which someone from Adobe talked about this issue specifically. Sorry - I don't recall where the article was.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post

A 64-bit app isn't necessarily faster. The increased ovrehead on processes that don't require so much memory space can actually slow things down. There was a recent article about this in which someone from Adobe talked about this issue specifically. Sorry - I don't recall where the article was.

http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/200..._bitswhen.html
  • Reply 7 of 24
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    But what about Director? I'm still waiting for a Mac accelerated Director. It's been aßß slow on Mac since always... I hope they're doing something good with it.
  • Reply 8 of 24
  • Reply 9 of 24
    i havent seen anything lately about dreamweaver vs golive. last i heard dreamweaver won out for the pro apps to be part of cs3. have they released an official comment yet?? would be nice to know if i should design new sites using the golive or dreamweaver site formats as i dont want have to redo all that stuff
  • Reply 10 of 24
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribulation View Post

i havent seen anything lately about dreamweaver vs golive. last i heard dreamweaver won out for the pro apps to be part of cs3. have they released an official comment yet?? would be nice to know if i should design new sites using the golive or dreamweaver site formats as i dont want have to redo all that stuff

Dreamweaver is going to be the main one, but Adobe did say they were still going to develop GoLive seperately. It's probably a safer bet just going with Dreamweaver though because Adobe will probably drop GoLive after a couple more updates or something like that.

Sebastian
  • Reply 11 of 24
    thanks for the info. all of the reports say that dreamweaver will be it but has adobe actually said this anywhere or is it just speculation?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Dreamweaver is going to be the main one, but Adobe did say they were still going to develop GoLive seperately.

I read that Adobe will turn GoLive into a web authoring app for graphic designers, while Dreamweaver will be aimed at professional web developers. There is an obvious need for both kinds of web apps. If Adobe is serious, the "new, improved" GoLive could be a spectacular hit. Why do I still think Apple is the only software company that is really capable of producing the "killer app" that non-technical web designers have been waiting for?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomozj

http://Here's a screenshot:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...j/e6a3485a.png

-tj

HahahahahahahahahahSADDAMHUSSEINhahahahahaha
  • Reply 14 of 24
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomozj View Post

Here's a screenshot:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...j/e6a3485a.png

-tj

Congrats man, you're good at this piracy thing. Could you have made it any more obvious?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Congrats man, you're good at this piracy thing. Could you have made it any more obvious?

Well, that Dock looks like mine.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

Dreamweaver is going to be the main one, but Adobe did say they were still going to develop GoLive seperately.

I read that Adobe will turn GoLive into a web authoring app for graphic designers, while Dreamweaver will be aimed at professional web developers. There is an obvious need for both kinds of web apps. If Adobe is serious, the "new, improved" GoLive could be a spectacular hit. Why do I still think Apple is the only software company that is really capable of producing the "killer app" that non-technical web designers have been waiting for?

You're probably referring to this article, same one I was getting my information from. Only I haven't read it in a long time (had trouble finding it too, Think Secret needs a way to search the Archive) so I've forgotten most of it by now.

Sebastian
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Gross. Get Quicksilver.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

*shudders*

I for one am about a Clean Dock and Desktop....

Sebastian
  • Reply 19 of 24
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Except yours likely doesn't have KCNscrew on it.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

But what about Director? I'm still waiting for a Mac accelerated Director. It's been aßß slow on Mac since always... I hope they're doing something good with it.

don't hold you breath on director. i have friends who work in adobe/macromedia and last i heard director's codebase had been shipped off to india just for maintenance. it's not one of the main apps under active development unless something's changed recently.