Apple's Leopard reported to be nearing final candidate stage

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alolkoy View Post

You think that maybe the special feature is an operating system that supports playing HD movies? I hope the secret is not someting as worthless as Widgets!

No, it's the ability to play any Microsoft application in OS X ... ooops... I wasn't supposed to tell you ...!
  • Reply 62 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You'd think so and all the software developers are saying that. It make me think that the top secret items don't impact any third party developers.

We've also come to consider the developer releases to also be the beta tests of the next OSX. It doesn't have to be that way at all!

Note that OSX (plus the top secret features) WILL require beta testing before release. They may already be doing that.

My bet is that the underlying OS and new developer technologies is out with developers and Apple is learning alot from that. Meanwhile they are doing a very limited internal beta test of the new features (which don't impact 3rd party developers), and they will release a full beta 2 months before Leopard release (with appropriate announcement to get press coverage of new features).
  • Reply 63 of 87
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

I really hope iCal and Mail are integrated into 1 application. That would be REAL upgrade!

I really hope you don't work on Apple's Mail or iCal team.

Sebastian
  • Reply 64 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I'm thinking those "top secret" features have to do with the iPhone and TV. Back when the "top secret" features were mentioned they had yet to be announced so of course they couldn't talk about them.

Or something crazier... maybe they already showed them with Resolution Independence and ZFS...

Quote:

Maybe if they updated them once in a while they would sell better. They are woefully outdated.

True.... but they might as well kill off the line

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alolkoy View Post

You think that maybe the special feature is an operating system that supports playing HD movies? I hope the secret is not someting as worthless as Widgets!

Widgets are not worthless.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Axcess99 View Post

Microsoft isn't the only company that thinks like this. And don't knock the tv+microwave combo, clearly some people have an interest in this http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007..._microwave.php

The TV+Microwave Combo has been officially knocked. I'd like my iCal and Mail to stay separate because in truth, I don't like iCal that much. It's a resource hog everytime I run it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

The Mini's not doing as bad as all that. It's #70 in sales over at Amazon, but the $999 iMac is #72. There's also AppleInsider articles I could quote that say Mini sales are solid.

Regarding profitability, I doubt Apple really cares if there's much money in it (though there may be some- the Mini isn't as low-end as we like to think, due to BYOKMAD), since, as someone else pointed out, its mainly a 'gateway drug' for Windows switchers, who "once they go Mac, won't go back", presumably.

Haha, I said last I checked. That was probably November.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Not much comment has been made of Apple's earlier statement that they had 4 prongs to their strategy....

So just for a second...

Picture the full range of Macs: MacPros, MacBooks, MBPs, iMacs, Mac Mini...

Picture the full range of iPods: The iPod, Nano, & Shuffle.

Picture the AppleTV

Picture the iPhone

I wonder what products will "fill out" the Apple TV prong, and the iPhone prong.

Correction, Apple TV falls into the iPod prong, and the iPhone... well it's more like a Mac/iPod Hybrid as far as I'm concerned...

Sebastian
  • Reply 65 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I'm thinking those "top secret" features have to do with the iPhone and ?TV. Back when the "top secret" features were mentioned they had yet to be announced so of course they couldn't talk about them..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Or something crazier... maybe they already showed them with Resolution Independence and ZFS...

Who knows. I tend to agree that Apple is working on a greater integration between devices like the iPhone & TV & Mac. In fact, I think the AppleTV OS will be 'cross graded' to an OSX-10.5-lite come July.

Quote:

Apple TV falls into the iPod prong, and the iPhone... well it's more like a Mac/iPod Hybrid as far as I'm concerned...

I can't find the original interview, an Apple guy was asked about an iTablet and he said that Apple was only working on these 4 areas (Mac/iPod/iPhone/?TV). As such, it didn't really deny Apple working on a tablet, but I found grouping of products interesting.
  • Reply 66 of 87
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

...development wrapping up faster than expected...no, wait! leopard delayed until october to be compatible with vista!! ...sorry, disregard bogus rumor! leopard actually nearing final candidate stage....leopard exposed to be vaporware, never intened to be released...and the rumor mill churns on and on and on...

--------------------

the count

http://thecountsworld.blogspot.com/

And we read them
  • Reply 67 of 87
    Quote:

I can't find the original interview, an Apple guy was asked about an iTablet and he said that Apple was only working on these 4 areas (Mac/iPod/iPhone/?TV). As such, it didn't really deny Apple working on a tablet, but I found grouping of products interesting.

Well think of it this way. With the iPod you plug it in, you go to Devices, you set up your settings, you choose your content, and you sync. With the Apple TV, you connect with your Apple TV (or something like that) you go to Devices, you set up your settings, you choose your content, and you sync.

There is very little difference in that, the Apple TV is essentially "iPod TV" and I'd just place it all under iTunes anyways. Any product tied to iTunes, I consider it part of the iTunes platform.

Sebastian
  • Reply 68 of 87
    Quote:

There is very little difference in that, the Apple TV is essentially "iPod TV"

I totally agree that they are similar in so many ways.

That just makes it more interesting that an Apple executive said Apple was focused on 4 prongs.

btw:

In some ways, I'd like my laptop to act more like an iPod.

ie: Have a central library of music on an external disk (or server) which I can use when at home, synced selectively (like an ipod) to my laptop's smaller hard drive
  • Reply 69 of 87
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

If Leopard is still on track to come out this spring, it's getting a little late to add those "top secret" features into the product, isn't it?

Secret features are confined to internal builds. We may not even hear of them until the day it ships.
  • Reply 70 of 87
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Secret features are confined to internal builds. We may not even hear of them until the day it ships.

Guess I'll wait for 10.5.7
  • Reply 71 of 87
    Quote:

I totally agree that they are similar in so many ways.

That just makes it more interesting that an Apple executive said Apple was focused on 4 prongs.

btw:

In some ways, I'd like my laptop to act more like an iPod.

ie: Have a central library of music on an external disk (or server) which I can use when at home, synced selectively (like an ipod) to my laptop's smaller hard drive

4th Prong (really the Second)

Quicktime

btw:

I'd actually prefer Laptops to completely replace Desktops, except for those that need Raw Horsepower and Workstations.

Sebastian
  • Reply 72 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

...development wrapping up faster than expected...no, wait! leopard delayed until october to be compatible with vista!! ...sorry, disregard bogus rumor! leopard actually nearing final candidate stage....leopard exposed to be vaporware, never intened to be released...and the rumor mill churns on and on and on...

--------------------

the count

http://thecountsworld.blogspot.com/

Fwiw, it was only on the last minute that Jobs announced there would be no 3GHz G5. Does anyone seriously think Apple is going to tell the world Leopard is late any sooner than the last minute? Get real folks.
  • Reply 73 of 87
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I think there's way too much attention being paid to developer previews and the timing of Leopard's release. Don't look for hints from developers, because as has already been noted there is no point in giving 'secret' features to the development community - they won't stay secret.

The thing to look for/at is the calendar, and the time frame for an Apple Event. Perhaps NAB? Perhaps before or after.

We will get a Special Event to introduce Leopard at least a month before its release.

The developers will get that build the day it is introduced for final testing.

iLife will be included, as will iWork. $179, $229 for the Family Pack

All will utilize Core Animation.

The UI will be refined, but not entirely redone.

iPhone will be previewed at the event as well, including Leopard related features.

Front Row will look like Apple TV, and Apple TV will be able to BUY content direct (via your computer).

Pro Hardware will be updated with Blu-Ray

Mac Pro will have new form factor (probably at NAB)

iPhoto will include 3D transitions, including a cascade of picture postcards etc. (see U2 Window in the Sky video).

and more...
  • Reply 74 of 87
    Quote:

4th Prong (really the Second)

Quicktime

btw:

I'd actually prefer Laptops to completely replace Desktops, except for those that need Raw Horsepower and Workstations.

Sebastian

problem is, laptops are more expensive, less upgradeable, and do not last as long.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

True.... but they might as well kill off the line

Widgets are not worthless.

The TV+Microwave Combo has been officially knocked. I'd like my iCal and Mail to stay separate because in truth, I don't like iCal that much. It's a resource hog everytime I run it.

Haha, I said last I checked. That was probably November.

Correction, Apple TV falls into the iPod prong, and the iPhone... well it's more like a Mac/iPod Hybrid as far as I'm concerned...

Sebastian

The iPhone is part of the iPod Engineering department which is a branch of Hardware Engineering and AppleTV is definitely part of Hardware Engineering and thus is more under the Mac Pro, iMac, MacBook & MacBook Pro lines.

The iPhone is an embedded hardware system solution.

The AppleTV is a nearly mac mini form factor at 7.7" x 7.7" x 1.1" with a former current Pentium M laptop chipset running it.

The Mac Mini is 6.5" x 6.5" x 2" running a Core Duo.

My guess would be that the AppleTV would fall under the Mac line.

Unless they start producing a separate family of set-top box solutions and gaming consoles it doesn't make sense to give it it's own main line.
  • Reply 76 of 87
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    two questions for all of you because i know that i have zero inside knowledge on the issue.

1. I'm not patient and already only a few days into spring i'm becoming very impatient. If its a guess or even some kind of a guesstimation of the release date? i just want some day on my calendar to circle.

2. in the past i remember that the OS has been discounted for folks who bought a new desktop/laptop within some period of time, 6 months or something like that... does anyone think that will happen with leopard or not?

i've been wanting a mini for so long now i just want to pull the trigger now but think that it'll only hurt my wallet later if i jump now without the OS pre-installed.

-PS

...oh and what do you all think i'm looking at for pricing if i just bought the OS, nevermind a discount or pre-installed?
  • Reply 77 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PS5533 View Post

two questions for all of you because i know that i have zero inside knowledge on the issue.

1. I'm not patient and already only a few days into spring i'm becoming very impatient. If its a guess or even some kind of a guesstimation of the release date? i just want some day on my calendar to circle.

2. in the past i remember that the OS has been discounted for folks who bought a new desktop/laptop within some period of time, 6 months or something like that... does anyone think that will happen with leopard or not?

i've been wanting a mini for so long now i just want to pull the trigger now but think that it'll only hurt my wallet later if i jump now without the OS pre-installed.

-PS

...oh and what do you all think i'm looking at for pricing if i just bought the OS, nevermind a discount or pre-installed?

1. Make June 11th your target date. That way, you can't possibly be disappointed, as that's pretty much the last day they can hope to ship it.

2. The grace period is usually four weeks, but it's only if you buy a Mac after Leopard's release date has been announced, so you'll probably want to wait for it by then anyway. It's happened in the past so I don't see why it wouldn't happen with Leopard.

The OS will probably run you £89, or $129, if you buy it alone.
  • Reply 78 of 87
    bazzlerbazzler Posts: 11member
    Please read my latest blog entry -

http://www.bazzler.blogspot.com

And comment on the tenuous link i made between the NAB invite and multitouch!

i arrive at the fanboy conclusion of Leopard full unveiling at NAB.

Sorry if this short post offends anyone; i have been flamed before. (harshly and without merit i might add)
  • Reply 79 of 87
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Surely Apple will release Leopard in or before June...it sounds like a May release may even be possible. I'm patient enough to let them do it when they feel it's stable enough with minimal bugs. Surely too there are some features they won't tell us about til the release day to create additional hype/excitement. And it better have too...at this stage I wouldn't be rushing out to hand over AU$200. But when the RDF (reality distortion field) starts broadcasting from Cupertino, I'll probably find myself lurching to the nearest retailer in a zombied trance to pick it up.
  • Reply 80 of 87
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Surely Apple will release Leopard in or before June...it sounds like a May release may even be possible.

Surely? Nothig is sure before we see it. And I hope this "Spring release" thing is not turned into a second "3 GHz in 12 months" fiasco.

Now you can tell that at the time this was under IBM's control and now it is different since Apple controls the OS development. And you may be right. But, the known precedent from technology never included in Tiger although demoed during the developer conference, proved once again how easy is to promise and not deliver. All we can do as Apple-Outsiders is to wait and see. The unpredictability inflates proportionally to the complexity of the development projects.

(emphasis mine)