Closing the book on Apple's Mac mini

Comments

• Reply 321 of 575
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Yeah, that seems to confirm what's been discussed already, which is that installing RAM yourself does not void the warranty on your Mac, UNLESS you damage your comp while installing RAM. And its common sense that if using 3rd party RAM causes damage, Apple is not liable for said damage.

Both cases are quite rare, in my experience, though apparently some folks are complaining that Apple likes to blame issues on the presence of 3rd party RAM, even in cases where the link is dubious at best. The easy end-run around that, though, is that if you ever have to take your Mac in to be checked out, simply remove any 3rd party RAM and re-install the original RAM beforehand, so that Apple can't attempt to use that as an excuse. Sad that you'd have to, though. \

It's actually more than that.

It also means that while the products could have been installed correctly, if THEY damage the machine, it's not covered by warrantee.

So, if your memory melts down, and damages the socket or power supply, tough luck. Same thing for Hd's or any card that may be installed, or optical drive, Firewire, or USB device, etc.

Even if a monitor damages the machine, the warrantee is gone.

I've seen all of the above happen at one time or another.
  • Reply 322 of 575
    japplejapple Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

That's right. I'm amazed when I talk to the average person about computers, how many still don't understand the difference between memory and hard disk space. Many would buy a new computer before thinking about adding more memory because they simply don't know what adding more memory means.

Exactly. Many of my windows friends buy the cheapest box they can (but with cool features - ie dvd burner, photo station technology etc), and then find it to be "slow" in about a year to a year and a half, and buy another cheap box. You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 323 of 575
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's actually more than that.

It also means that while the products could have been installed correctly, if THEY damage the machine, it's not covered by warrantee.

So, if your memory melts down, and damages the socket or power supply, tough luck. Same thing for Hd's or any card that may be installed, or optical drive, Firewire, or USB device, etc.

Even if a monitor damages the machine, the warrantee is gone.

I've seen all of the above happen at one time or another.

Meh, forgive me, but I'm not too concerned. And yes, I did assume the above was the case.

Over the years, I've probably saved enough money over Apple's prices by DIY'ing it to finance a couple of significant repairs, so even if the boogeyman did somehow rear its ugly head, I'd likely still be ahead. I have many friends who can say the same. None of us have ever had a comp damaged by 3rd party RAM, and I'm doubtful we ever will.

Perhaps it helps that I (and most of them) don't buy the cheapest 3rd party RAM, but also consider reputation and warranty. Or perhaps 3rd party RAM modules are just not the heat-seeking, comp-destroying WMDs that some fear. I dunno which it is, but so far so good, for many years now.

• Reply 324 of 575
    Quote:

Maybe. My daughter's grown up with computers, as she was using mine by herself since she was two and a half, and had her own since she was four. While she's an expert on anything software related (she's now fifteen and a half), she still is in shock whenever I upgrade a machine of hers. Her friends look at me blankly if I ask them questions about their hardware.

Sure Mel, but at the same time, I have no doubt that if we took a thousand typical 50-year olds aside, and a thousand typical 20-year olds aside, quizzed them about their tech knowledge, and then had them perform basic hardware- and software-related tasks, the 20-year olds would, on average, come out ahead.

Just for fun, and as an example of the above, if your parents are over 50 and own a cellphone, ask them to text you. The blank look you'll get is priceless.

It's not agism or anything, it's just that young folks were born in the computer age, older folks weren't, and thus the youngsters are just more comfortable with tech, on average. You are simply one of the exceptions that proves the rule.

• Reply 325 of 575
    Quote:

Sure Mel, but at the same time, I have no doubt that if we took a thousand typical 50-year olds aside, and a thousand typical 20-year olds aside, quizzed them about their tech knowledge, and then had them perform basic hardware- and software-related tasks, the 20-year olds would, on average, come out ahead.

Just for fun, and as an example of the above, if your parents are over 50 and own a cellphone, ask them to text you. The blank look you'll get is priceless.

It's not agism or anything, it's just that young folks were born in the computer age, older folks weren't, and thus the youngsters are just more comfortable with tech, on average. You are simply one of the exceptions that proves the rule.

Quite honestly, I'm not so sure anymore. Texting doesn't count. That's just using the device, not opening it up.

While for a time it did seem as though that was true, it no longer seems to be the case. The dumbing down of the computer using populace is upon us.

The same thing seems to happen with all technologies. First a small select technically inclined base begins the transition. Then it spreads. More people know most of the basics, and fiddle. Then the machines become more complex on the insides, but less so outside. Far more people take it up, but a smaller percentage knows what's under the "hood". By the time it becomes ubiquitous, few people poke inside anymore, as it becomes mysterious to them.

We've seen it happen with cars, radio, audio, and now computers.

I'm willing to bet that in ten years, almost no one will ever open their machines.
  • Reply 326 of 575
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:

Quite honestly, I'm not so sure anymore. Texting doesn't count. That's just using the device, not opening it up.

While for a time it did seem as though that was true, it no longer seems to be the case. The dumbing down of the computer using populace is upon us.

The same thing seems to happen with all technologies. First a small select technically inclined base begins the transition. Then it spreads. More people know most of the basics, and fiddle. Then the machines become more complex on the insides, but less so outside. Far more people take it up, but a smaller percentage knows what's under the "hood". By the time it becomes ubiquitous, few people poke inside anymore, as it becomes mysterious to them.

We've seen it happen with cars, radio, audio, and now computers.

I'm willing to bet that in ten years, almost no one will ever open their machines.

I don't think you can blame the "dumbing down" of hardware computer knowledge on the machines becoming more complex. In your example, cars have gone from being purely mechanical devices to hybrid mechanical/computer devices. What has really changed in computer design in the past 10-15 years? It's still just primarily a motherboard, sound card, video card, modem/network card, hard drive, and an optical drive (don't think I missed any major components). I'd be fearful of opening up my iMac or a Mac Mini (or any other "computer" that involves using a putty knife to open), but those are both non-standard computer designs. Some of the slots and sockets may have changed (IDE/PCI/AGP/PCI Express), but that in the end is practically cosmetic.

I may be cynical, but I think it's really that the dumbing down of the general populace is upon us.
  • Reply 327 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I don't think you can blame the "dumbing down" of hardware computer knowledge on the machines becoming more complex. In your example, cars have gone from being purely mechanical devices to hybrid mechanical/computer devices. What has really changed in computer design in the past 10-15 years? It's still just primarily a motherboard, sound card, video card, modem/network card, hard drive, and an optical drive (don't think I missed any major components). I'd be fearful of opening up my iMac or a Mac Mini (or any other "computer" that involves using a putty knife to open), but those are both non-standard computer designs. Some of the slots and sockets may have changed (IDE/PCI/AGP/PCI Express), but that in the end is practically cosmetic.

I may be cynical, but I think it's really that the dumbing down of the general populace is upon us.

I'm saying that the dumbing down is due to the fact that as the machines become more complex on the inside, they become less complex on the outside, the user interface.

It requires less knowledge to operate these devices, while all the time they do more than before. It's therefore less necessary for the user to know anything about how they work, so they don't care about it. That leads them to knowing less about how they work, and to have less desire to know. It's a downwards spiral.

Most people can't even change an oil filter any more. The best they can do is give the car gas, and perhaps water.

I see the same thing happening with computers. Most people, even young people, know very little about how they work. Going inside for any reason is just not done.

The idea that young people will know more just because they're ypung, isn't a good assumption.

In addition, science is losing out in this country. Where almost half the people don't believe in evolution, and one in five still think that the sun orbits the earth, it doesn't look good.
  • Reply 328 of 575
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Maybe. My daughter's grown up with computers, as she was using mine by herself since she was two and a half, and had her own since she was four. While she's an expert on anything software related (she's now fifteen and a half), she still is in shock whenever I upgrade a machine of hers. Her friends look at me blankly if I ask them questions about their hardware.

She probably can't change a tire either. You should be ashamed not teaching here the simplicities of operating and maintaining a mac!

My girl is 5 with an lamp iMac in her room almost on it's last leg. I will continue with her and the mac and eventually show her how to maintain, rebuild, reboot, and run disk utility , etc all when she's old enough. Currently, she just goes on Safari and plays games on kid websites because she can't read a lot of big words yet.
  • Reply 329 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KidRed View Post

She probably can't change a tire either. You should be ashamed not teaching here the simplicities of operating and maintaining a mac!

That's ridiculous!

I have to tell you that most people can't change a tire nowadays.

I always offer. she understands how it works, but is simply not interested, as most of her friends would agree. They don't find the need.

Quote:

My girl is 5 with an lamp iMac in her room almost on it's last leg. I will continue with her and the mac and eventually show her how to maintain, rebuild, reboot, and run disk utility , etc all when she's old enough. Currently, she just goes on Safari and plays games on kid websites because she can't read a lot of big words yet.

I'm willing to bet that when she's little, and can't get away from you, she will pay attention, and do what you want her to do. As soon as she's older, she will lose interest in what you are trying to have her do, and go and do her own thing.

I've been through all of that.

But, as I said in my other post, my daughter is a software wiz. I doubt if most people here can keep up with her in that area. She cares very much what she can do with her machines, she just doesn't care about getting inside with the hardware.

I've done a lot for the schools here with computers, and can see the lack of interest.

In her elementary school, the computer teacher lamented that she had no good way to get the kids to understand how a hard drive worked. Pictures weren't enough (young kids need more than static displays).

I took some old Hd's I had, removed the tops, and made Lexan covers, so that they could see inside. The teacher could take the top off, move the platter, and move the arm across the disk. That was helpful.

But, as they get older, they seem to lose interest.
  • Reply 330 of 575
    greenwiregreenwire Posts: 25member
    [QUOTE=TBaggins;1087283]

I'm 60 and I text message from my mac mini nearly everyday.
  • Reply 331 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenwire View Post

Quote:

I'm 60 and I text message from my mac mini nearly everyday.

Bully for you. Really. But do you honestly think that the majority of 60-years olds do that?

• Reply 332 of 575
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Bully for you. Really. But do you honestly think that the majority of 60-years olds do that?

60 seems younger every day.

So...we've determined that most younger people don't change tires and most older people don't send text messages. What was the point again?
  • Reply 333 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

60 seems younger every day.

So...we've determined that most younger people don't change tires and most older people don't send text messages. What was the point again?

That younger folks, on average, are more comfortable with technology.

A point that the old farts among us appear unwilling to concede. Ah well... denial springs eternal. And everyone loves the exception that proves the rule.

• Reply 334 of 575
    If Apple is discontinuing the current Mac Mini desktop, a welcome replacement in the market would be a headless "Mac mini server" with the following features

1. Intel Santa Rosa chipset and faster, cooler, Core 2 Duo processors

2. dual eSATA interfaces, supporting external RAID enclosures

3. ExpressCard/34 slot for expansion (e.g., media card reader)

4. Upto 200GB internal SATA II hard drive

5. Dual Gigabit Ethernet ports with jumbo frame support and 802.3ad link aggregation

6. 802.11n

7. Running Mac OS X Server

With Leopard coming out with ZFS, a Mac Mini Server would provide the ideal SOHO/home file/backup/media server and would address a growing market segment that would complement both the MacBook Pro, the iMac and the Apple TV as we all need a SOHO/home file/backup/media server to hold our ever increasing data storage and ensure that it is redundantly backed up.

G-Technology is rumored to be coming out with a NewerTechnology/LaCie like mini drive with integrated eSATA support, which would suggest that perhaps my wishful thinking is not all that wishful. I'm just guessing because this seems like a logical soft spot in the SOHO/home market that nobody is addressing. Small-Tree Technology is the only one that seems to have a clue about this market.

http://www.g-technology.com/

http://www.small-tree.com/
  • Reply 335 of 575
    Quote:

That younger folks, on average, are more comfortable with technology.

A point that the old farts among us appear unwilling to concede. Ah well... denial springs eternal. And everyone loves the exception that proves the rule.

The fact that there a so many of us old farts around here does disprove the rule.

I think the average membership for this site is about 33. If so, and possibly some site official can confirm it or not, then it means that about half the members are over 33, as well as half being under.

Since the number being bandied around is twenties, something is clearly wrong about it.

But, when I read about "younger" people taking more to technology, the thrust of the articles is that they use the technology, not that they are willing to mess with the guts.

And the technologies they are talking about aren't computers, they are cellphones, and iPods, not exactly products that lend themselves to internal modification or upgrades.
  • Reply 336 of 575
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

I think the average membership for this site is about 33. If so, . . . then it means that about half the members are over 33, as well as half being under.

That describes the median age, not the average age, when half are younger and half are older.

• Reply 337 of 575
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    For the oldies, we can still remember when using a computer involved programming. We can remember writing programs and were probably taught to do so at school. We were also taught how the nuts and bolts of a computer work, two's complement, how to write a bubble sort, what hash buckets are - things like that. Those were all in my education prior to my 16th birthday. Saying that, I'd been writing software since I was 13 by then and wasn't afraid to wield a soldering iron near by C64's user port.

Today, you don't get taught programming in school anymore or how they work. You get taught how to create Powerpoint presentations. Kids no longer get taught how computers work and therefore have no interest in understanding what all the bits are. I think educators are making a serious mistake not teaching students the science of computing and instead just practical skills that anyone with half a brain cell can pick up on a weeks course.
  • Reply 338 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

That describes the median age, not the average age, when half are younger and half are older.

Not necessarily. The median and average can be the same.
  • Reply 339 of 575
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

For the oldies, we can still remember when using a computer involved programming. We can remember writing programs and were probably taught to do so at school. We were also taught how the nuts and bolts of a computer work, two's complement, how to write a bubble sort, what hash buckets are - things like that. Those were all in my education prior to my 16th birthday. Saying that, I'd been writing software since I was 13 by then and wasn't afraid to wield a soldering iron near by C64's user port.

Today, you don't get taught programming in school anymore or how they work. You get taught how to create Powerpoint presentations. Kids no longer get taught how computers work and therefore have no interest in understanding what all the bits are. I think educators are making a serious mistake not teaching students the science of computing and instead just practical skills that anyone with half a brain cell can pick up on a weeks course.

Absolutely correct!!!

When I was in high school, back in the mid '60's, someone from IBM came to lecture us on computing.

At the time I was taking Fortran 4.

He said that someday, everyone would be using a computer?and that we would all have to learn how to program in order to do it.

We know that the first half of his statement came true.

But what happened to the second?

What happened was what I said earlier. As things became more complex on the inside, they became simpler on the outside, as all technologies do.
  • Reply 340 of 575
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

The median and average can be the same.

Rarely, especially in a large population.