Analyst claims iPhone demand slowing but 3G model in cards

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    bert25bert25 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I can't believe AI posted this inane story. CIBC? Are you nucking futs? The same Canadian bank dude that said the iPhone would be delayed? That stupid gem sent AAPL down then, too.

Apple shares fall; CIBC sees iPhone release pushed back

That iPhone demand has dropped somewhat from what it was opening weekend is a no-brainer. Just another idiotic report designed to get the stock price down ahead of earnings. It does present a good opportunity to buy the stock or buy some cheaper calls. It's also not bad having the stock be lower before earnings and have lowered expectations. It's a good setup for a post-earnings rally. That's all fine as long as we know this is all a bunch of carp.

The FUDs before AAPL earnings arrives as expected As long as AAPL stays on it's course, AAPL longs should not be upset and take advantage of this phenomenon, I sold some but my timing was off and the stock went up some more before todays "news". You guys should watch Cramer at thestreet.com TV, he has some timing when he advised to sell some AAPL yesterday.

Here he is gloating on his call. BTW, he is APPL long.

edit: if the link doesn't work, copy/paste below:

Cramer's Apple Sell-Strategy <http://publish.vx.roo.com/thestreet/portal/?channel=Cramer On Demand&amp;clipid=1373_10369502 >

Cramer's 'Sell Apple' Advice Pays Off for Investors <http://publish.vx.roo.com/thestreet/portal/?channel=Cramer On Demand&amp;clipid=1373_10369806 >
  • Reply 22 of 103
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

fraklinc...

Have you ever heard of this thing called 'punctuation'?

He's been asked/told that before. Looks like he's just hardwired that way.

• Reply 23 of 103
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It looks like the stock is already gaining back a little... I'm sure they don't want to be caught short when the numbers come in tomorrow (higher than expected)...

It was, but it's really dropped now. At this time it's 134.49.

All markets have been down for the day as well.
  • Reply 24 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Initial hopes by "analysts" were for 100k sales Fri-Sun. It seems Apple beat that by nearly 50% even WITHOUT Sunday--and Friday was a partial day starting at 6.

Of course, wild speculation since then makes the actual good news into bad news

Demand is of course "slowing" after the initial, unbeatable pent-up rush. No numbers needed to tell us that. But most users going into the Apple Store NOT looking at the iPhones? I am highly skeptical.

And 3G is coming--Apple said so directly--but I doubt it will come very soon, since we now know (by comparing the internal electronics against other devices) that Apple's claims about size and battery life with 3G were true..

I think it was for 200k
  • Reply 25 of 103
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Their is no fucking way they will introduce a 3G model this year. If it was technologicly possible they would have done it with this model. There is not some huge jump in battery performance or a better 3G receiver that would make it possible. Not only that, if they came out with a 3G model right now it would seriously piss off alot of people who just droped 600 bucks for their iPhones. Those people who wanted an iPhone bought one and adding 3G is not going to have a huge impact on sales.

I would say they would come out with a lower priced version with just a phone and music player way before they would come out with a new 3G enabled model.

I like how people just make stuff up and talk out of their asses. Of course it's possible. Jesus christ.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

first they said apple stores only has about maybe 800 per store at lauch day, a seen the fedex truck arrive at the store with 3 pallets around launch time, now have you seen how small the iphone box is! i standed in line for 2 hours and they might have been 1000+ people there and they did not sell out untill the 3rd day, since then they have sold out a couple of times, apple is not giving out #s but come on dont tell me you can't fit more than 1000+ and a single pallet, i went this morning to buy the apple blu tooth headset which is available now and there still a bunch of people walikng out with iphones, apple likes suprising people, remember iphone when on sale at 6:00pm and the nextday was not a business day, i don't know how that works but those 145000.00 activations could have just been from launch night, my opinion is apple stores are not selling out of iphones because stores have way more than what people spec them to have, believed it or not most of these analyst look just at ebay, but remember no one is buying it there because they have toons at there local apple stores, but if you try to sell your smart phone and ebay you will see that the iphone has hurt the market alot because people as not willing to pay as much as before for smart phones

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

fraklinc...

Have you ever heard of this thing called 'punctuation'?

Beat me to it. Reading that post was painful.
  • Reply 26 of 103
    I doubt Steve Jobs reads these web sites- but he should.

Of course demand is going to nose dive for the iphone and it has little to do with the product as a product.

It's not 3G that is the problem but the whole At&T world you have to buy into.

$600 is a lot of money to pay for a phone that is locked, to a network, locked into a contract and even after the contract you can still only use it on the AT&T network.

This is an example of Apple arrogance and greed. They thought that their product was so good that they wanted even a slice of the revenue from contract deals.

The iphone is a great product but most people won't pay a premium for paying a premium. Demand will slow as most people take stock of Apple's demands on the consumer.

Apple will kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

Bad
  • Reply 27 of 103
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

I'd like some more 'color' from this report. Betcha Ittai Ittai Kidron only visited one store near CIBC, and only for an hour at lunchtime.

The Apple Store I visited had a steady stream of people leaving with an iPhone or an iPod... and I was there only for 20 minutes!

googlemaps streetlevel says he was really at a verizon store looking through a peephole

at this point i need voice dialing more than i need 3g, but 3g would be nice to protect my investment for 2-3 years. edge is coming up in speed in some markets. but i need voice dialing NOW
  • Reply 28 of 103
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I can't believe AI posted this inane story. CIBC? Are you nucking futs? The same Canadian bank dude that said the iPhone would be delayed? That stupid gem sent AAPL down then, too.

Apple shares fall; CIBC sees iPhone release pushed back

That iPhone demand has dropped somewhat from what it was opening weekend is a no-brainer. Just another idiotic report designed to get the stock price down ahead of earnings. It does present a good opportunity to buy the stock or buy some cheaper calls. It's also not bad having the stock be lower before earnings and have lowered expectations. It's a good setup for a post-earnings rally. That's all fine as long as we know this is all a bunch of carp.

Naaaaah. The whole market took a dive today. It's just 'pile-on' Apple time. It'll pass.
  • Reply 29 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It was, but it's really dropped now. At this time it's 134.49.

All markets have been down for the day as well.

Man, you must look at your portfolio on days like this and shudder a little.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

googlemaps streetlevel says he was really at a verizon store looking through a peephole

• Reply 31 of 103
    Quote:

Man, you must look at your portfolio on days like this and shudder a little.

What's a six figure loss?

It just shows why we shouldn't listen to those who come post here with rose covered fingers on their keyboards.

Losses always occur. This was unexpected, but they almost always are, until after they happen. Then some wit will tell how they expected it.

But, this does now put pressure on Apple to make their numbers very good tomorrow, even better than I had said they should be.

Apple really does have to show at least 200k sales for the iPhone those days, and a decent continuing sales.

That would mean doing well enough to sell perhaps 3 million by the end of the year, hopefully more.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Initial hopes by "analysts" were for 100k sales Fri-Sun. It seems Apple beat that by nearly 50% even WITHOUT Sunday--and Friday was a partial day starting at 6.

Of course, wild speculation since then makes the actual good news into bad news

When people were speculating about those kind of numbers (early- mid- July) Apple stock jumped from 120 to 130. Speculation of 500,000+ sales is what pushed the stock to 145. Guess what happens when sales turn out to be 150,000?

Quote:

Demand is of course "slowing" after the initial, unbeatable pent-up rush. No numbers needed to tell us that. But most users going into the Apple Store NOT looking at the iPhones? I am highly skeptical.

Then hold on to your shares and stop looking at message boards
  • Reply 33 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I think the entire report is bogus. He didn't mention which store he went into where people were not interested. I've seen stores in both NY and LA where the iPhone displays are crowded with people wanting to touch them. Everyone I know marvels at my iPhone.

Well, I own a business as an all things IT repair person. My customers call me to pick out and set up new PCs, new networks, new cell phones, you name it. And I was amazed that I got my first call to set up a new iPhone YESTERDAY.

Quote:

I so far haven't heard anyone with an iPhone say they wish it had 3G. Anandtech did tests where he found 3G to be a significant drain on the battery while real world speed was not much better.

I've told everyone who's asked me why I don't have one that it's because I'm waiting for 3G. So I guess now you can't say you never heard anyone say that, huh?
  • Reply 34 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I've told everyone who's asked me why I don't have one that it's because I'm waiting for 3G. So I guess now you can't say you never heard anyone say that, huh?

Nah, a bunch of us have been saying it all along.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post

Call me a cynic, but I suspect this is someone talking down the stock pre-earnings report so that they can step in tomorrow and make a quick killing....

Ever consider that the run-up from 120 to 145 was someone pumping the stock up so they could sell and leave all the suckers out there holding shares and looking for someone to blame?
  • Reply 36 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Ever consider that the run-up from 120 to 145 was someone pumping the stock up so they could sell and leave all the suckers out there holding shares and looking for someone to blame?

Sigh!

Most likely, it was neither
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Quote:

Nah, a bunch of us have been saying it all along.

Tenobell never heard you!

Must have some sort of filter on

No wonder someone above just said that all losses are unexpected until they happen. He didn't notice all the people here saying it would happen. And it'll be lower on Thursday than it is today (quote me on that!)
  • Reply 38 of 103
    Quote:

Sigh!

Most likely, it was neither

I know - in fact it was just people buying the excitement and now selling the news. I was just trying to point out that one should be careful not to look through a biased filter. Anyone who thinks that the run to 145 was based on "real" things while the drop today was somehow concocted is totally missing the boat.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

And 3G is coming--Apple said so directly--but I doubt it will come very soon, since we now know (by comparing the internal electronics against other devices) that Apple's claims about size and battery life with 3G were true..

And Sony Ericsson's W880i says that's a load of bollocks.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    gooddoggooddog Posts: 93member
    Quote:

I'd like some more 'color' from this report. Betcha Ittai Ittai Kidron only visited one store near CIBC, and only for an hour at lunchtime.

The Apple Store I visited had a steady stream of people leaving with an iPhone or an iPod... and I was there only for 20 minutes!

The Santa Monica store , here in California, was packed and lots of people were buying iPhones or accessories for same.