Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 81 of 433
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Of course. That's the way it should be, given how thoroughly they say they inspect their stuff.

I honestly don't understand where society has manufactured the idea that anything "used" must immediately be equated with "junk".

It is used car salesmen...they sell absolute loads of shit as "great in town cars that were only used by granny for church"

If a 12 year old car has 3000 miles on it, I garen-friggen-tee it has been rolled over...but most dealers would tell you otherwise, hense why there is a market for services like Carfax.

Evreybody has been burned by a used car dealer at least once...assuming they own/opperate motor vehicles
  • Reply 82 of 433
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

www.apple.com/keyboard/

I find it quite curious how the system requirements stated for the wireless is that I will need an existing keyboard for setup. That has to be a mistake.

NOPE. that's true with current wireless keyboard and mice... that's why they don't ship with wireless
  • Reply 83 of 433
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

NOPE. that's true with current wireless keyboard and mice... that's why they don't ship with wireless

WRONG! Bought one with my mac pro, it came in the box and it set up just fine.
  • Reply 84 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

WRONG! Bought one with my mac pro and it set up just fine.

you might have so. but the requirements are still that you need a wired keyboard and mouse. so they won't ship a computer with a wireless one when their own requirements say otherwise.
  • Reply 85 of 433
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Agreed. These are fine systems for doing 90% of the market needs.

The Pro Machines are for the 10% of the Markets.

Now, when they offer future Cinema's, Mac Pros and OpenGL 2.1 GPUs for CAD/CAM and FEM Modeling, etc., then I'll know Apple really wants the Engineering/SIGGRAPH/ParticlePhysics, etc., Government/University/etc., Commercial/Research markets.

These machines are a great update.

The FW800 is a great addition for these machines.

I buy Game Consoles for Games.

No, they are good for about for 50-60% of the market. The other 30-40% Apple refuses to even acknowledge they exist because they don't quite conform to the slightly screwed up vision that Steve Jobs has of what the computer industry is.

As for the going to buy a console instead, how many times do I have to say that console and computer gaming are NOT the same thing? It's like telling a bunch of baseball players to go play soccer instead.
  • Reply 86 of 433
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Yeah, the iMac used to come with a great little software bundle, now it comes with none. It seems like the deal keeps getting a little worse every time out.

Let me get this streight, mac koolaid drinkers bitch at Dell for shipping bundleware, and bitch because apple DOESNT bundle third party apps? Give me a friggen break!

Office demo, nanusour, Quicken AOL, Earthlink ect that came on my mac a few years ago were nothing more than disk hogs...screw bundleware.
  • Reply 87 of 433
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Here's something else that doesn't look good -

They have a nice new keyboard, in both wired and wireless, but NO MATCHING MOUSE!

Did I miss the mouse somewhere?

I'd hate to have an "old white mouse" with all the other nice new stuff.

• Reply 88 of 433
    ibradibrad Posts: 8member
    Just bought the following:

iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo

SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB

Accessory kit

Built-in Display \

320GB Serial ATA Drive

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X

Apple wireless Mighty Mouse

Not crazy about the 3-5 weeks for shipping though.
  • Reply 89 of 433
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

you might have so. but the requirements are still that you need a wired keyboard and mouse. so they won't ship a computer with a wireless one when their own requirements say otherwise.

Dude, I went to the apple store and configured it with a wireless keyboard and mouse and that is exactly what they shipped to me.
  • Reply 90 of 433
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    On the tech specs page the 2.8 processor is listed as BTO, but in the Apple Store there is a standard config with it.
  • Reply 91 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBrad View Post

Just bought the following:

iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo

SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB

Accessory kit

Built-in Display \

320GB Serial ATA Drive

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X

Apple wireless Mighty Mouse

Why would you max out the ram when its super easy to replace now and you can save about a hundred bucks getting it from newegg or crutial?
  • Reply 92 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Let me get this streight, mac koolaid drinkers bitch at Dell for shipping bundleware, and bitch because apple DOESNT bundle third party apps? Give me a friggen break!

Office demo, nanusour, Quicken AOL, Earthlink ect that came on my mac a few years ago were nothing more than disk hogs...screw bundleware.

The Appleworks suite, quicken, and bundled game that came with my iBook were pretty useful.
  • Reply 93 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Why would you max out the ram when its super easy to replace now and you can save about a hundred bucks getting it from newegg or crutial?

$70 actually and its top of the line name brand stuff.
  • Reply 94 of 433
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    kinda of funny that the one that was the closest in concept was the chap that did the extra large iPhone concept.
  • Reply 95 of 433
    oh jesus

you can go to the apple store and buy whatever you want. but a standard apple computer doesn't ship with a wireless apple keyboard.

built to order does not equal ship with or are you gonna tell me the mac pros ship with 16gb of ram?
  • Reply 96 of 433
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

It seems to be the wireless keyboard which does that. Simply adding RAM or HD doesn't increase ship time for me.
  • Reply 97 of 433
    ibradibrad Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Admittedly an impulse buy. My iMac G5 died about five months ago so I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for this new one. I also figurd that I really wouldn't have saved a whole lot since I'd end up with an extra gig of memory by following your strategy. I haven't done the math, but is it really that much of a savings? And not that I have a lot of money to throw around, but it wasn't worth the time to me to deal with it.
  • Reply 98 of 433
    Quote:

Admittedly an impulse buy. My iMac G5 died about five months ago so I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for this new one. .

you G5 died already?

my G4 is still going.. i hope it doesn't die on me. i don't want these new computers
  • Reply 99 of 433
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

Admittedly an impulse buy. My iMac G5 died about five months ago so I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for this new one. I also figurd that I really wouldn't have saved a whole lot since I'd end up with an extra gig of memory by following your strategy. I haven't done the math, but is it really that much of a savings? And not that I have a lot of money to throw around, but it wasn't worth the time to me to deal with it.

thats where apple makes $$$ from RAM, i always preferred to order RAM from apple store or store where i get my mac, geez i do not like to open new box and install RAM and then screw the whole system...

20" $1299

with 2GB RAM

and

500 GB HDD the base model goes to $1499, it is still expensive, will wait for some promotion for RAM or $100 from amazon or thanks giving day
  • Reply 100 of 433
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday unveiled its new line of iMac all-in-one desktops, featuring 20- and 24-inch widescreen displays encased in elegant and professional aluminum and glass enclosures.

Everything was absolutely beautiful and what a note to end on, i.e., Steve's answer to one of the analysts question, "Is Apple’s goal to overtake the PC in market share?"

Jobs said, “Our goal is to make the best personal computers in the world and make products we are proud to sell and recommend to our family and friends. We want to do that at the lowest prices we can.

“But there’s some stuff in our industry that we wouldn’t be proud to ship. And we just can’t do it. We can’t ship junk,” said Jobs. “There are thresholds we can’t cross because of who we are. And we think that there’s a very significant slice of the [market] that wants that too. You’ll find that our products are not premium priced. You price out our competitors’ products, and add features that actually make them useful, and they’re the same or actually more expensive. We don’t offer stripped-down, lousy products.”
    (http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08...vent/index.php)