Thread for people who love the new iMac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    This is one of Apple's best designs so far. Absolutely sexy. Hopefully, this also signals Apple's transition away from using so much plastic in their products; I guess we'll see with the next iPod update.

Companies should be required to label petroleum content in their products...that would begin to change a few things...
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

This is one of Apple's best designs so far. Absolutely sexy.

I think it is one of Apple's best designs to date as well.

Watch out for the other threads.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    aj500aj500 Posts: 14member
    I took the plunge for a 24" 2.8GHz with the wireless kb & mouse. But, the ship date is not until 12 Sep.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJ500 View Post

I took the plunge for a 24" 2.8GHz with the wireless kb & mouse. But, the ship date is not until 12 Sep.

September 12th! Not August 12th? You must live on an Aluetian island or something.

My ship date for the 20" is August 14th-20th.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    aj500aj500 Posts: 14member
    No, it's 12 Sep to OH. I don't know if it's the 2.8GHz or wireless kb & mouse that's causing the delay. Hopefully, that date will improve.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    To reply to the initial thread, I love the new iMac. I can't wait to see it in person. I don't get the glossy screen fear, this isn't true Pro product where you have to be 100% colour accurate... in which case I'd doubt you'd be using a ~60-70% NTSC colour accurate display anyway. I might also be mistaken about this, but weren't all CRTs glossy?
  • Reply 27 of 72
    poppetpoppet Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

September 12th! Not August 12th? You must live on an Aluetian island or something.

My ship date for the 20" is August 14th-20th.

The wireless keyboard puts the shipping date back.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Saw the iMacs in person a few hours ago. The 24" is amazing. The design is not as striking as I thought, mainly because the metal is not as dark as I'd like. However, the glass coating is very classy. Without a doubt, it has an anti-reflective coating, since in the well-lot Apple store, there was no glare whatsoever when I was looking straight on. At angles, there was some reflection, but it's quite good.

Despite being cheaper, they look much more expensive that iMacs of the previous form factor. It's just an extremely clean look.

There was a big crowd at the Apple Store. My town has a big mac userbase, partly because it's full of yuppies, and partly because Steve-o lived here in the early days of Apple, or so they say.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    vf208vf208 Posts: 49member
    Jonathon Ive has done it again - I have no doubt this thing will win awards.

Does anyone know if the London Apple Store has these - I might wander over there later today?
  • Reply 30 of 72
    griffingriffin Posts: 10member
    i also have to say im loving the new design. Looks a big improvement on the older imac, the black and glass gives it character. I think the wireless keyboard is a nice addition, as much as i would like a wire free desktop i think i can handle the two cables from the full size keyboard and the main power cord.

Ive got to go up into london tomorrow anyway, so if i have time i wil drop by the london apple store to see if they have the new machines.

Is the move to 24" worth the extra £188?
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Just been down to Regent St, they didn't have them, not expecting them for another couple of days at least. They didn't have the new iLife or iWork either.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poppet View Post

The wireless keyboard puts the shipping date back.

Another reason I'm glad I did not get the wireless keyboard with mine.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    vf208vf208 Posts: 49member
    I think you missed them - I've just been and they were on the back wall on the left hand side...
  • Reply 34 of 72
    I went and picked up one of the 24" last night after work. First impressions, great machine, I do however have one stuck pixel, so that's a bit of a bummer, but I'm already starting not to notice it. Other than that, it seems like a great design. A bit thinner than the old iMac just from visual comparison. It's quick and efficient and I like it, so that's all that matters to me. Now if Apple would just push that Ultraportable out the door, I'd be set!
  • Reply 35 of 72
    dualsduals Posts: 41member
    I stopped by the Madison, WI Apple Store late afternoon and picked up the $1499 model. First impressions:
    • I think it looks much better in person that in pictures. The aluminum and glass, with the glossy screen and black border go well together.

• I know the glossy screen is a matter of preference, but I think it really looks good on the display.

• Compared to my old, old 800mhz G4 iMac (the lamp) the screen is huge and beautiful. No dead pixels..Woo

• I opted for the wired keyboard. I think the USB ports are more convenient on the keyboard than trying to reach around back of the iMac. I also wanted the full size keyboard with number pad. The new keyboard is very comfortable to type on and much quieter than my old one. I did pick up a wireless mighty mouse and it works fine.

• Given the body is aluminum, the remote doesn't stick to the side anymore -- that's kind of a drag. I liked that on the previous model it had a home and you knew where it belonged. I just know my 3 year old is gonna walk by my desk, stuff that remote in the couch, and I'll never see it again.

I know that there are others who want this mythical headless upgradeable mini tower. My old iMac put in a solid 5 years of service. I never felt that being able to snap in a new graphics card was going to make the machine that much better. It served it purpose well. Now I've upgraded and I'll be happy with this one for another 5 years.

Let me know if you have questions.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shamingo View Post

I went and picked up one of the 24" last night after work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duals View Post

Let me know if you have questions.

Have either of you used a MacBook keyboard? Can you confirm that the new desktop keyboard feels the same?
  • Reply 37 of 72
    dualsduals Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Have either of you used a MacBook keyboard? Can you confirm that the new desktop keyboard feels the same?

I've used a macbook keyboard a just briefly, a couple of times. If I recall correctly it does feel about the same.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'm 95% satisfied with it. I plan on replacing my home G5 iMac with one of these new ones. Even the wife is on board!

The keyboard is nice, and we already have a mouse we would use instead of the mighty mouse.

I plan on purchasing an extra 1GB of RAM. Maybe even a 2GB SO-DIMM if it supports that config for a total of 3GB.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    It does indeed feel almost the same. It's a nice feel. Obviously you will either love it or hate it. I personally have been working with laptops for years, so it feels nice to me. It has much less throw than a normal keyboard, and feels a bit nicer to me. Everyone is complaining about how it seems "form over function" with the keyboard, but I believe it feels nice.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shamingo View Post

Everyone is complaining about how it seems "form over function" with the keyboard, but I believe it feels nice.

Indeed. I currently have a MacBook and have no complaints about the keyboard.