iWork 08

Comments

• Reply 61 of 143
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debenm View Post

IMPRESSIVE...

iWork 06 took up 1.2gb of hard drive space... iWork '08 takes 687mb...

How did they add a 3rd application (numbers) and cut the HD space required nearly in half? MS could NEVER do that!

~ Keynote '06 = 1.15gb

~ keynote '08 = 282.7mb

I am impressed ~ although I do think that Keynote '06 moved a little quicker on some things.

Funny cause Keynote '06 is 198.6MB on my computer.
  • Reply 62 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by visionary View Post

This may sound really out there, but I wish Apple would make a PC version of iWork also, and then give both the Mac version and PC version away for free. Why free? Because it would make a serious dent in how many people buy MS Office. In fact, why would most people buy MS Office ever again? Apple would gain big time market share in office suite software and also in mind share. If people run mainly Apple iWork, why should they buy a PC in the first place?

If I were Apple, I would gladly trade the money from iWork sales for market share in Office suite software. Apple has like 15 billion cash on hand. They can easily trade a few million for market share.

You're truly living up to your username here, this idea completely appeals to my attitude, you are a bit of a genius me thinks.

What's really, really confusing me is the fact that iWork '08 doesn't comes free on new Macs.
  • Reply 63 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajay View Post

i just got my new macbook a few weeks ago along with ilife & a licensed (not demo) iwork.

you think i could qualify for a free upgrade to both?

thanks!

If you search Apple's iLife page, it says that it'll cost $10 dollars to upgrade a system that didn't come w/ iLife '08 as long as you bought it on August 7th.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/
  • Reply 64 of 143
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    So? Numbers doesn't seem to offer an ability to protect cells? What a blunder if true.
  • Reply 65 of 143
    It's default graphs are as bad as Excel. You'd think Apple would do better?

Someone at Apple read this book please.
  • Reply 66 of 143
    Can't find a way to make supper or subscript in titles of graphs.
  • Reply 67 of 143
    One nice thing about Excel is that you can get the help on a function by clicking it's hyperlink right in the spreadsheet. It's like Apple copied the worst and not the best.
  • Reply 68 of 143
    Played with iMovie and Keynote today (more the former than the latter) and found an oddity in the pro-level of the apps: the add narration function on iMovie is far superior to that of Keynote.

Keynote allows recording for the entire presentation, but does not include recording level, mic settings or an of the goodies that iMovie does.

The free-floating windows are also beginning to look old; I think they should create an all-in-one layout that would work better.

Just a couple of thoughts.
  • Reply 69 of 143
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I spent several hours yesterday playing with Numbers. It took some time to adjust to the idea that the tables and charts are freely movable objects on any given sheet. Not that I think it's a bad idea, just that it is different to the Excel layout which I have been used to using for the past decade.

I used it to set up a case-log and started to extract some statistics.

I love the ability to add checkboxes and the pop-up lists. It takes Numbers from just a spreadsheeting program to a lightweight database program. As the months go by and my number of cases rises into the hundreds, it will be interesting to see how well Numbers handles the many entries and just how deep I can mine the data.

So far: two thumbs way up!
  • Reply 70 of 143
    With the hell that Apple is receiving for iMovie, good news about Numbers is probably very welcome.

I created something far more basic just to play around with the sliders and jumpers, which both worked very nicely, and the instant changes to the graph were great. It indeed was fun. If I had only had it 16 years ago when I started my first business!
  • Reply 71 of 143
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

I spent several hours yesterday playing with Numbers. It took some time to adjust to the idea that the tables and charts are freely movable objects on any given sheet. Not that I think it's a bad idea, just that it is different to the Excel layout which I have been used to using for the past decade.

I used it to set up a case-log and started to extract some statistics.

I love the ability to add checkboxes and the pop-up lists. It takes Numbers from just a spreadsheeting program to a lightweight database program. As the months go by and my number of cases rises into the hundreds, it will be interesting to see how well Numbers handles the many entries and just how deep I can mine the data.

Completly agree with this - found it to be really useful & easier/more friendly than Excell so far!
  • Reply 72 of 143
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    One thing I am struggling with in numbers is excells freeze pane - can this be done with numbers?

Thanks
  • Reply 73 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

You can do the same thing in Excel only better. You can do SQL queries in Excel that will automatically update when the data changes in the cells.

I use it to auto-fill information in excel forms that I created. Then when I modify the database I have excel update its information and compare to the data in the spreadsheet.

Numbers has a long long LONG way to go to catch up to Excel.
  • Reply 74 of 143
    The documentation of the random number generator is incomplete. It generates random numbers between 0 and 1? That tells me almost nothing.\

I just tried to send feedback on RAND can got a 404 when I submitted.
  • Reply 75 of 143
    Why does the MacBook page say it comes with iLife '06 ?
  • Reply 76 of 143
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

The documentation of the random number generator is incomplete. It generates random numbers between 0 and 1? That tells me almost nothing.\

That's normal for a random number function. Multiply it by 100 and you've got a random number from 0 to 100.

eg. 0.567293 * 100

Make it an integer if you want ie. =INT(RAND() * 100)

You can also use =RANDBETWEEN(0, 100) which will always give you an integer between 0 and 100
  • Reply 77 of 143
    Quote:

You can do the same thing in Excel only better. You can do SQL queries in Excel that will automatically update when the data changes in the cells.

I use it to auto-fill information in excel forms that I created. Then when I modify the database I have excel update its information and compare to the data in the spreadsheet.

Numbers has a long long LONG way to go to catch up to Excel.

Useful, although slightly dangerous in the wrong hands.

Somewhat disturbingly, I've just noticed Numbers doesn't have an Applescript interface at all. Both Pages and Keynote do, but not Numbers. I was hoping they would have had a script function in Numbers to do what you'd do with VBA, Applescript or SQL in Excel. Hmmm. Maybe that's one for Numbers v2.
  • Reply 78 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Funny cause Keynote '06 is 198.6MB on my computer.

You haven't installed all the templates with all the languages and you're not counting the stuff in your /Library/Application Support folder perhaps.
  • Reply 79 of 143
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

aegisdesign is dead on. Random number generators almost always, in my experience, return [0.0-1.0]. What more did you want to know??

Quote:

I just tried to send feedback on RAND can got a 404 when I submitted.

I was going to ask you if you were actually submitting feedback for all of these complaints, or just complaining...

From my perspective, Excel has had 20 years of development. Number has had... 1? 1.5? Maybe 2? The fact that Numbers is, already, heads and shoulders above Excel in the usability dept means I can forgive it for a few odd missing features. (Except lack of AppleScript. That's just... wrong.) I think the strangest bug you found (and it is a bug, IMO) is the super/sub-script issue in Chart Titles. That text field should be editable like any other. I'm also sending feedback on that one, after I confirmed it myself.

As for lockable fields, copy and paste the table over to Pages. It loses much of its editability for formulas, etc, but not data. (You can copy and paste it back to Numbers and get *back* the full functionality - very cool under the covers programming design.) See if that removes editing for formulas, etc.
  • Reply 80 of 143
    Will I need to buy MS Office 2008 or not?

I'd like to be able to do reports using Pages, but I heard it only word counts the entire document, not selections...amongst other things has the range of options been improved in the new version?

And (off topic), will iLife 2008 come with the Leopard or will I have to buy it separately?