Apple to usher in era of Mac OS X-based iPods

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    what kinda other hand held devices do u think apples workin on?
  • Reply 42 of 104
    Well, I do not know. Maybe it is because Apple does not own the current OS in the iPods. It has to pay millions of dollars to the company that does own it for the privilege of using the OS. Apple is a business and probably would like to avoid doing that if it makes sense to do so. SInce, Apple has already developed a scaled down version of OSX for the iPhone and Apple TV, it seems like it would make sense to put it on the iPods. Yes, I suspect that could be one reason.

Oh, heres another. It will be easier for Apple to make all the various technology that it wants to tie together across devices if they are all running the same OS. For instance, Wi-Fi iPods could easily use iChat since iChat is a program already built to run on OSX.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dh87 View Post

Why would OS X be useful on an iPod, especially a nano? iPods don't do that much, and the things that they do are already written in the current iPod OS.

• Reply 43 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

What is that supposed to mean? iBlenders? MacToothBrush Pro? Whats left to conquer? They got TV, computers, cell phones, music players. Beyond those items I am trying to figure out what devices are complicated enough to need an actual OS. Any ideas?

It is interesting.

I tend to think of it as "what's got electricity in my home?" (or in my office).

* Home automation? Replace all my light switches with Apple light switches (ethernet over power), put an eLock on my doors, garage, heating & cooling - all of which are controllable from my Mac or my touch screen home automation station. (Home security too?)

* Home phones? Start by replacing simple home phones with simple VoIP phones. Or add video screen & video conferencing? Touch screen interface (which also controls my home automation?)

Just quick thoughts.
  • Reply 44 of 104
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I think the revolution with OSX on pocket gadgets is SOFTWARE. Soon I expect Apple to start selling software through iTunes, and eventually, in the end, let certain 3d party developers make software or widgets for OS X.

This is the correct answer.

Let's push that a little further. What if the new iPods were WiFi enabled. Then cross-compatible Dashboard widgets (and then apps) that work on Macs, iPhones and then iPods would be real handy.

Not to mention Yet-Another-Platform-to-Run-Safari-on (TM).

Not to mention the likely-but-not-quite-yet Mobile iTunes Store.
  • Reply 45 of 104
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    We don't know if any of this is true yet.

As far as I can tell, there wasn't any official Apple announcement.
  • Reply 46 of 104
    A hybrid 8gig flash and 160gig HD full screen wifi web enabled with video camera on the face iPod. Now do ya think they might sell a ton of these. Does everything but make the phone call holds all your media and runs all day.

Apple will need to do something really cool to maintain a premium price point for an iPod sans phone going into the holiday sales and next year. I'm looking forward to some amazing new products.
  • Reply 47 of 104
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

Wait... I don't get it. Everyone's mentioning new product line. Apple has stated they're new business model will stand on "four legs". Mac, iPod, iPhone, AppleTV. I count four, how many do you count? \

Granted AppleTV won't catch on fully until it's able to stream/save 1080p from Mac and iTunes.

I suspect what they mean is that Apple is working on new devices within their 'four legs' strategy. I seem to remember reports some time ago that Apple was recruiting sound engineers so maybe they are developing a new Apple HiFi. Maybe we will see an AppleTV Home Media Centre for those who want to download and store their music/movies away from their computer.

Personally I hope Apple focuses more resources on their software division. Apple has some great software products and I wish they would develop more. I would love to see Apple develop a competitor to Adobe's Creative Suite.
  • Reply 48 of 104
    Quote:

What is that supposed to mean? iBlenders? MacToothBrush Pro? Whats left to conquer? They got TV, computers, cell phones, music players. Beyond those items I am trying to figure out what devices are complicated enough to need an actual OS. Any ideas?

When you're building an Empire what is not to conquer? Who knows where all Apple is setting it's sites. Dealing with non-Apple electronics I'm always wondering why it could not have been made more intuitive and "Apple easy."

Where would I like to see Apple? In a general term: Home Automation. Which I guess is like saying everywhere around the house.
  • Reply 49 of 104
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple, please, BRING BACK FIREWIRE to the iPods.

Thanks.

Amen, brother!
  • Reply 50 of 104
    It just takes some imagination to see the endless benefits of having OSX on an iPod. Right now, you're limited to viewing very basic text files - with OSX you could easily imagine being able to display Word files, PDFs, etc.

Also, you could load up Powerpoint presentations, load up pictures and have the ability to zoom in on them, have a more functional day planner (ala iCal), have better video processing for movies, perhaps integrate a little camera into it...have a GPS type system built in for navigation... having a powerful OS opens up the floodgates to a whole new world of possibilities...
  • Reply 51 of 104
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pavlos99 View Post

It just takes some imagination to see the endless benefits of having OSX on an iPod. Right now, you're limited to viewing very basic text files - with OSX you could easily imagine being able to display Word files, PDFs, etc.

Also, you could load up Powerpoint presentations, load up pictures and have the ability to zoom in on them, have a more functional day planner (ala iCal), have better video processing for movies, perhaps integrate a little camera into it...have a GPS type system built in for navigation... having a powerful OS opens up the floodgates to a whole new world of possibilities...

Lets not go overboard here!

First of all, we have to ask ourselves why Apple is doing this (if indeed, they are).

The iPhone has OS X, but, so far at least, Apple isn't using the power of the OS very much. It isn't allowing third party software, though that may become moot if some of the hacked projects mature.

The iPod is still an iPod first and last. I'm not so sure Apple wants to expand it too far beyond where it is now.

I'd like to see more development, but maybe that's not on Apple's agenda.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    With the Meizu Nano knock-off, I think that we should expect full-screen iPods for the whole range...

Why not have 3 lines?

1. Full-size: iPhone without the phone + large 160GB HD.

2. Nano: full-screen, but about the same size as a nano + 16/32GB RAM. Can watch movies and iTunes shows. Instead of a full coverflow install, they could just have a virtual click wheel appear when the screen is being touched, or something similar.

3. Shuffle: Maybe finally add a small screen to show the current track? Or a hybrid of the 1st and 2nd gen with integrated USB, which is the one thing that sucks about the current gen.

They should add the Nike+ wireless stuff to all models, but at least the shuffle and the nano internally. This would also allow a tiny wireless remote for the nano which would be nice.
  • Reply 53 of 104
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Lets not go overboard here!

First of all, we have to ask ourselves why Apple is doing this (if indeed, they are).

The iPhone has OS X, but, so far at least, Apple isn't using the power of the OS very much. It isn't allowing third party software, though that may become moot if some of the hacked projects mature.

The iPod is still an iPod first and last. I'm not so sure Apple wants to expand it too far beyond where it is now.

I'd like to see more development, but maybe that's not on Apple's agenda.

Agreed, too many features at once would choke the line.

Let's think iterative design not kitchen sink design.

The iPod was the iPod, then it was the iPod with a color screen (for photos only), then it was the iPod with video. To get from there to here was over 5 releases!

Looking at the history of the main iPod, moving to an iPhone UI & OS (and that's all, no camera, no WiFi) would still be a huge leap in design change.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I think the new product line mentioned will be in car integration. This has already been touched on in the past. I think by this time next year we will be hearing about an Apple branded and OS X based in car system similar to Audi's MMI and the BMW I-Drive including navigation, audio, video and telephony.

But if Apple continues with this "exclusive" deals, as with at&t, it will continue to stifle broad acceptance of Apple products. Steve is making bigger mistakes by trying to play it too safe. Walt Disney, one of Steve's heroes, was well known to constantly "bet the company" on his innovations. Something Apple needs to constantly infuse into their product bloodstream.
  • Reply 55 of 104
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

I can operate my iPod nano with one hand, and without looking at it. You can't do that with an iPhone, and you won't be able to to do it with any other device that has a virtual-UI.

I hear that a lot but what can you really do with it while not looking at it? Change volume, play/pause, skip tracks. So surely all you'd need are gestures that support this. When a song is playing, a vertical slide is volume up/down, a double-tap is play/stop, a slide left/right skips track.
  • Reply 56 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

Wait... I don't get it. Everyone's mentioning new product line. Apple has stated they're new business model will stand on "four legs". Mac, iPod, iPhone, AppleTV. I count four, how many do you count? \

Granted AppleTV won't catch on fully until it's able to stream/save 1080p from Mac and iTunes.

Maybe that new product should be a truly amazing flat screen that integrates with all things Apple. Then the weakest link in the line - AppleTV - might become a major player, and the revolution over.

John
  • Reply 57 of 104
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

A watch? Nobody is going to buy a dick tracy watch? it's stuck to your wrist.

Apple will never - and I usually avoid the word never - but they will never make a watch.

Please say you were joking.

They wouldn't unless 007 asked them to, but I'm sure Q has that covered.
  • Reply 58 of 104
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dh87 View Post

Paragraph 5 of the article.

To clarify: Other than the name, "Nano" who said it will resemble today's product?
  • Reply 59 of 104
    Quote:

I would like to see a hard drive based ,OS X ran device for the car that would WiFi sync to my home and give me access to all my media. It would incorporate music, photos, games and video. The onboard computerized system could even monitor my car's electronics. Oh hell Apple should just build a really cool sports car for me. Something like the MAClaren for the rest of us.
  • Reply 60 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I think the new product line mentioned will be in car integration. This has already been touched on in the past. I think by this time next year we will be hearing about an Apple branded and OS X based in car system similar to Audi's MMI and the BMW I-Drive including navigation, audio, video and telephony.

COOL you read my mind? Include WiFi to "auto"-sync with my computer when I'm parked at home.