iPod supply dwindles as likely Apple event nears

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    Well, speaking as a non-American on this forum, I would personally like to see the announcement of movies, TV shows, and even games finally being available to buy/download on the UK iTunes store!!! I would welcome this move way above yet another new iPod being released in a slightly different size or shade of colour.

Anyway, Flash memory in fine for the iPod Nano's but what is the point in reducing the HD capacity of the "proper" iPod just so you can replace the HDD with Flash memory? I want ALL my music on my iPod so I can take it where ever I go, so this would be a step backwards.

I also don't believe Apple will want to detract any sales away from it's lucrative new iPhone this Christmas holiday season, so I can't imagine there being a touch-screen iPod this year at least. If people want the "wow" factor of touch screen to control their music they'll need to get an iPhone.

If there's gonna be any change to the iPod proper, I'd like to see bigger HDD (up to 120GB?) to store more music and more importantly more videos, and the size/shape remaining much the same - It ain't broke so don't fix it! I also think the interface could do with updating, so something inspired by coverflow, but operated by the click wheel would be nice.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Let's we all forget about the "Beatles" version of the All New iPod - with the COMPLETE Beatles music library available on it???

1) They WILL announce new movie features and companies who are now on board

2) They WILL announce how it now works hand and hand with the iPhone (so that we can own both "iItems")

3) They WILL announce some sort of "Custom" CD program (including songs that currently found on CD's

4) They WILL announce some new features that tie in with the iTV

4) They WILL announce something completely different, (then the above) and proof me wrong again

Skip
  • Reply 43 of 62
    It could just be me, but in a recent marketing e-mail sent out to registered Mac owners promoting the ITMS ... the iPod shown at the bottom right looks like it has a widescreen ?!? ... it could just be me ... I don't think Apple would be that dumb to let a pic slip early ... would they?!? I sold my iPod to someone who doesnt expect a new one to come out!!! Sneaky sneaky hahaha so I'LL BE GETTING MINE!!!
  • Reply 44 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xdangerrangerx07 View Post

It could just be me, but in a recent marketing e-mail sent out to registered Mac owners promoting the ITMS ... the iPod shown at the bottom right looks like it has a widescreen ?!? ... it could just be me ... I don't think Apple would be that dumb to let a pic slip early ... would they?!? I sold my iPod to someone who doesnt expect a new one to come out!!! Sneaky sneaky hahaha so I'LL BE GETTING MINE!!!

Seeing as how the current fifth-gen iPod already as a wide-ish screen, I wouldn't read too much into it.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think this (the shuffle) will remain at 1GB (maybe 1.5GB, but I doubt it). A lower price point really makes more sense than to add more capacity to a device that has no options for selecting songs. Plus, the a lower price point will help introduce the shuffle to a new market that will hopefully then decide to buy a full-size iPod.

I agree with you that adding more capacity to a screenless device is kind pointless. I only typically use about half the space on my current shuffle, until recently that is when I put an uncompressed album on it. But still how many people do that? Even so marketing is all about buzzwords and numbers and if Apple wants to keep selling shuffles next to all the other cheapo players out there they need to keep upping the storage limit.

1.5GB isn't going to happen, that's just silly. It's cheaper for them to put a 2GB chip in it. 3 months ago I went to MicroCenter and bought a 2GB SD card for $16.99, just to show you how cheap generic memory has gotten. Apple is buying it in much larger quantities. If they really wanted to they to they could sell a 2GB shuffle for $50. The difference between 1GB and 2GB is next to nothing these days. They may drop the price of the shuffle to $69 but I doubt they'll go any lower.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

Seeing as how the current fifth-gen iPod already as a wide-ish screen, I wouldn't read too much into it.

The current 5G ipod doesn't have a wide-ish screen. That's a standard 4:3 aspect ratio there.

Remember that Apple has to compete with players like the Zune and others. iPod may be the dominate force but if people see that they are being stagnate in their offerings they will jump ship.

If Microsoft 1 year ago could sell a 30gig Zune that had both a 3" screen and a WiFi/FM radio built in for $250 or less, then Apple should be able to sell us a 3.5 inch touchscreen this year with wifi+safari and at least a 30gig hard drive for the same price. Even if they upped the price back to $299 that's still something I would spring for.

But I guess I personally am in a different category now then i was when i bought my 5G ipod a year and a half ago. I still have my 5G iPod and my 2G Shuffle so I'm covered for portable music. What I want now is an iPod that is really good at portable video and internet without the storage limits or AT&T contract of the iPhone.

If Apple doesn't deliver something like that I'm already looking at an Archos 605 because of it's low price, 4.3 inch high res touchscreen and wifi.

If all Apple introduces is a slightly bigger screen and the ability to do coverflow with the clickwheel, I'm going to be really disappointed.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

Here is what I think we are looking at realistically

iPod 3.5" touchscreen/widescreen/aluminum and glass, (no wifi, no bluetooth, no safari, no camera, and no phone) priced at $400 with 100GB HDD. Taking out the three radios will save on power and cost and allow the entire backplate to be aluminum. Simpler design then the iphone, no fancy chrome ring around the front.

iPod Nano (stubby) - 2" -2.5" screen - video playback - 16GB at $250-$300

iPod Nano (current design) - 4GB $150 or 8GB $200

iPod Shuffle (current design) - 2GB all colors including black - $79 or $89

That all makes sense. However, I am not sure though, Apple is going to have four iPod models. See, they could have kept the 6 GB iPod mini (and probably updated it to an 8 GB iPod mini) when they introduced the 4 GB iPod nano. They did not. As John Gruber said, they treat their product line-up as a product itself, it should be clean and easy to understand not cluttered.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    I think it has been fascinating to watch the evolution of thought on the new Ipod discussion. In the past few days, hundreds of posters have worked out a nice (although not guaranteed) 4 version model and thrown out many other great ideas. In fact, it would be a great source of new information for apple if they were looking for how their products would play outside of the company.

I just want to build on these ideas and go through a quick logical analysis on the product line as it might stand.

(sorry for the length, but there?s a lot to cover)

Assumptions

First, there are some important assumptions that can be helpful in narrowing down the options:

a)\tIpod have always gotten unequivocally better than their previous versions. In every new generation, there has Always been models that loose nothing (really significant) from previous models. The only possible exception would be the mini diehards, but the nano proved to be a positive upgrade in all respects, with a smaller size, eventually greater capacity, and better battery life with flash memory. What Apple wants to avoid is making someone want to buy (other than for sentimentality) a previous version, and they have been successful.

b)\tBecause of the above point, they are unlikely to do the following

i.\tNot include a HDD ipod. The highest conceivable flash-memory based ipod would have 32 gigs, and could pay a premium for that. Many people use up all of their 60 and 80 gig ipods, so not including one of the same or larger size would make a previous generation (and 5.0) superior in a significant way.

ii.Get rid of the small form factor of the nano. Unless the pictures have the scale wrong (maybe the click wheel isn?t the part that stays the same size, but the width, and its just a shorter nano but not wider???), they would be getting rid of the best selling Ipod ever, and not with a compatible version. The nano fills a huge niche: people who want to listen to some (not dozens of gigs) of music. Its cheap, small, and easy, and would remain popular even after it was discontinued. The nano, or some small and cheap heir, must remain.

c)\tIgnore the niche of the shuffle. It?s cheap, there are some people who love its size and functions, so why get rid of it. I don?t think than anyone is suspecting that, so we have another model.

Models

Let?s regroup. We have, at this point, two models that seem stupid to kill because there is nothing more to add (i.e. a larger screen, or a screen period) that wouldn?t come at the cost of what defines the Nano or shuffle (size, randomness). So we have:

1) SHUFFLE. While they may want to keep from having too many versions (like sandisk or creative, that make things complicated), there is no reason not to add a 4gb version, keep the 2gb version, and maybe have a 1gb version, with a subsequent price shift. Other devices are catching up and are cheaper, so apple may have to pull some muscle here.

2)\tNANO. While its hard to see them discontinuing it, it is also difficult to predict what they will do to differentiate it. Video (on the current sized pod) seems pointless (especially if the stubby comes to pass), and while a 16 gb version may be in the works, one would expect something more. Shorter pod? Longer screen? It?s impossible to tell without knowing the other models (or having a source).

3)\tTOUCH/WIDESCREEN. The current ipod video is primarily 2 years old. While a stubby (get to that later) could be in the works, that would be a pathetic upgrade to span 3 years of ipods, and by next fall, Apple would be significantly behind other companies. WI-FI would be nearly pointless (read Zune) on a click-wheel/small screen ipod, and so (baring Apple coming up with a new technology completely, like mind reading) widescreen is all that is left. While one could still use a click wheel, WHY would Apple abandon OS X , coverflow, and such when they already have the technology. A widescreen Ipod is a MUST from a commercial/technological standpoint, and we?ve seen them do it.

---Also, this is likely where a HDD would come in. While a ?stubby? could have a hard drive, the primary use for the larger hard drives would be to include some video, which would go perfectly with a widescreen. Maybe they?ll have flash for frequently played songs (or loading current playlists before turning off the hard drive temporarily), and maybe they?ll have a flash-only version (although that could be too many models for Apple), but you can bet on a Widescreen, hard drive ipod with multi-touch.

---Wi-FI? I would love it, as my home and work all have WI-FI, so I could always be connected. This has been a hotly debated topic, and it is hard to predict with the Iphone in the mix. That said, it was ApplePi at Appleinsider that made the most compelling argument. If the video has a Hard Drive (or at least 16 or 32 gigs of Flash) as it must for a video niche device, than it would far surpass the iphone in that regard. While some people would likely buy both, it is hard to see the iphone taking second place to an ipod at this time, as the ipod would only be lacking phone capability. Remember the January Keynote when Steve said there were three devices, for now, I think we can expect the Ipod (although we can still hope) to stay in its niche and let the iphone take all three. In a year or so, things may be different. Hopefully, even without internet and mail, the ipod will have calendar and pda capabilities (and why not?, its only software), as it will certainly have photos. It would, however, be interesting to see with AppleTV.

---If we?re lucky, though, it could have Bluetooth for synching to computers, each other, and most of all, headphones. This could open hacking for browsing the internet through ones Bluetooth enabled computer (many PDAs do this). The downside: its slow (although they used EDGE).

---Screen and size. Without the need for a microphone or earpiece built in, it could retain a 320:480 screen with a shorter form factor, or, if we?re really lucky, go wider (for true 16:9, although that seems like a longshot).

4)\tNEW NANO/STUBBY/MINI?. Here is where it gets a bit tricky. Without knowing prices for the new Nano and Touch, it is hard to know if there is room for something inbetween. What IS promising, however, is that while the 3 above models have logic behind them, the newest device is the one that has been getting the most rumors (and fake pictures), surpassing even the touch. While it doesn?t fit a random/small/video nitch of the other three models, Apple could add it between a $200 8gb Nano and $350/$400 Touch. If the top Nano is $250 and the Touch is $299, then there is much less room for another device. Shrinking the video ipod, however, could be easy, cheap, and compete against devices in that niche (while the Touch has the premium slot all to its own). If it IS flash, it could be much thinner (there have been pictures), which wouldn?t make it seem so obese but more like a thin but wide card.

Caveats

While these above products seem logical, there are a few important caveats:

i)\tApple may work on the best technologies it can and see how they come together, rather than pre-planning everything.

ii)\tApple?s AT&T agreement could throw a wrench into everything, but don?t bet on apple being that stupid.

iii)\tApple has, in the past, kept down the number of specific models. There are, at the moment, 2 video ipods, 3 nanos, and a shuffle. We could see 2 touch ipods, 2 video ipods, 2/3 nanos, and 2 shuffles. On the other hand, the market and technology has only grown, and as apple can outcompete others directly, they may opt for more models.

iv)\tApple has shown itself to have many tricks up its sleeve. We could still be in for a WOW display (but seriously, don?t expect the iphone nano). Expect SOMETHING that no one has mentioned on this board.

Well, I guess I ranted for a while, but It helped me make sense of all of the rumors that I?ve been hearing, so score one for sanity. I?ve been waiting for an ipod forever (I?ve used a PDA), and haven?t wanted to get something (5.5g) that will soon be out of date (although if they release ipod Wi-FI next year, I?ll be annoyed). I?d love it to be Sept. 5, and while the store stocking reports hint towards that, Apple has yet to mention anything other than the Paris expo, and we are all probably a little biased (and very impatient) for an earlier release dade.

I?d just like to thank everyone on this (and a few other boards), because most of what I?ve written above (and all of the good stuff) came from many others debating this. I just like lists, and I?d like nothing better than being able to scroll through my music lists with muti-touch and coverflow within a couple of weeks.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    IMHO, Bluetooth is a mandatory feature for the new iPod. With A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), wireless headphones are an awesome way to listen to music. I've ditched my iPod and now use my iPaq for music for this reason. Apple can't ignore the cool factor associated with wireless headphones, and I'm sure Jonathon Ive would be able to come up with a pretty stylish design for a pricey Apple pair.....

However, the real reason for Bluetooth and A2DP on an iPod is in car systems. Up until now, to integrate your iPod into your car you needed a dock in your dash, or an iTrip-esque system. However a lot of cars are now shipping with Bluetooth integrated into the audio system, to allow handsfree phones to hook in.

Pairing your iPod to your car for audio streaming will be a big selling point. No longer are you limited to a specific manufacturers offering. Any car with Bluetooth will work with your iPod.

It suspect it won't be long before digital amps for home stereo also have Bluetooth, for the same reason. No longer would you need a dock to get good audio from your iPod to your home stereo...
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Just to confirm the stock issues - my sister just called me to borrow my iPod for work. She said she's called all over Sydney for an new 8GB Nano and nobody has it or knows when they'll get more.

I told her about the rumours and she's happy to wait a few weeks (as long as she can have mine). I should have charged her rental.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Wi-FI? I would love it (but) it is hard to see the iphone taking second place to an ipod at this time

I'd like wifi too... but more important would be a video-out like today's iPod. Put both in and the iPhone really would play 2nd best.

oooh... worse than that I personally would by an iPod instead of iPhone, AND use the same iPod instead of an AppleTV. I'd come home, place the iPod in a TV dock to charge (and to connect to the TV) I'd let it wirelessly sync and use the Apple Remote to watch TV via Frontrow...

Anyway... back to reality... It would be a shame if Apple's best design had some great features but it held them off so their other product (iPhone + AppleTV) remain attractive. This is possible though - they did disable external monitors in iMacs a few years back just to make the PowerMacs more appealing.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

Short reply to the "it's fake" crowd:

Apple's lawyers usually only ask multiple sites to pull down the shots if they're legit. It's not always true that they'll ask if it's real (see the iMac keyboard), but if a C&D notice is sent, you know it's real.

The real question is, was this a work-in-progress file or something else that would make it hard to know if what we were seeing was what we would get?

++. This is quite true.

The picture of the short, wide nano is a bit odd at first glance (looking at rather poor photos as well), but if you think about the direction Apple is going, it makes sense. Apple wants more iPod users to be able to view video, and if you to add video to the nano you really need a larger screen. The current nano form factor, practically ideal as it is, doesn't fit that goal. The only answer is to redesign it from the ground up, taking the screen as the starting point, and design cues from the (beautifully designed) new shuffle.

End result: a more squarish nano that's sexy in a very different way -- by its sheer thinness and by packing a vibrant UI with snazzy animations with video and photo features into a tiny package.

IOW, hold off jumping to conclusions until you hold the final product in your hand. This is Apple, after all, and the iPod is not a product they're going to recklessly screw up.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    ApplePi,

I agree with your prognosis as far as the high-end iPod goes. There's a possibility that it will have a 120GB HD and a small chance that it will have a slightly larger screen than 2.5".

Whatever, it'll be a great device for music, videos and games and I shall buy one as soon as possible.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Has anyone considered Apple introducing a consumer level iPhone (nano) at this event, possibly as one of the four new "iPod" updates?
  • Reply 54 of 62
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    My local Target still has a dozen silver 2GB nanos, just one black 8GB nano, and no other color nanos. There's lots of empty shelf space where they normally would be stocked. They have lots of shuffles in all colors.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    I went to a target, a Best Buy, three wal-marts and a couple stores in the mall over the weekend, and every store I went to had barely any iPods left. I was excited when I saw that!

But, I did notice that wal-mart listed the 30-gig 5G listed as a 6G.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There's a greater chance that aliens will spring up from the ground like sunflowers.

Pikmin reference? From you.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

That all makes sense. However, I am not sure though, Apple is going to have four iPod models. See, they could have kept the 6 GB iPod mini (and probably updated it to an 8 GB iPod mini) when they introduced the 4 GB iPod nano. They did not. As John Gruber said, they treat their product line-up as a product itself, it should be clean and easy to understand not cluttered.

They could call the stubby the mini again.

They could do:

iPod (touch screen): 60GB $299, 100GB $399

iPod mini (stubby video): 16GB $249

iPod nano (current design): 4GB $149 (silver), 8GB $199 (old 4GB colour options)

iPod Shuffle: 2GB $69

As well as take iTunes movies international, because the mini is a another way to get people into buying video, and the mini is a strong brand that was their best seller at the time and did have paler colours than the nano (which these shots have).

And at those prices it basically puts an ipod or two into everyone's hands. Apple can offer those nano prices because manufactering for that must be a breeze now all they have to do is change the flash to the bigger size, plus they're sitting on a mountain of the chips that has probably paid for itself many times over.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

Guys Apple has done it before, release new ipods while a student discount is going on. Doesn't hurt them. Think about it. If you had to buy a new mac for school and Apple gave you a free $200 off toward last years iPods, would you not take one? If you got a 4gig nano it would be free or only $50 for a 30gig video. Even if the new ones were out and you were buying a new laptop you would be stupid to pass that up. I mean who here is going to say "Just give me the mac, I don't want your free nano because it's last years model"? At the very least you could resell it on ebay. It does two things for Apple, clears out old iPod stock and acts as a promotion to sell macs.

I really hope we get a touch screen iPod with wifi and safari. I know a lot of people think it would cannibalize the iPhone, but who cares, Apple is still selling product. At least they are keeping it in the family. There are a lot of people like me that don't want the phone but want everything else about the product but with more capacity.

If the rumors are true and there will be four ipod lines, then it sounds like Apple is going to introduce one closer to the iPhone price point, which means similar to the iPhone.

That being said...

The iPhone throws a real wrench into the works. I can't see Apple releasing an iPod that is virtually the same (wifi, bluetooth, ect) as the iphone but with 32-160GB of capacity depending on if it uses flash or HDD. The reason is because the iPhone has a small little 4-8GB. Even if Apple were to release a 32GB flash ipod at $600 that did everything but the phone it is going to make the iphone look weak with it's mere 8GB. If they release it with a hard drive it's going to make the iphone look even worse and make the device thicker and drain more power.

Here is what I think we are looking at realistically

iPod 3.5" touchscreen/widescreen/aluminum and glass, (no wifi, no bluetooth, no safari, no camera, and no phone) priced at $400 with 100GB HDD. Taking out the three radios will save on power and cost and allow the entire backplate to be aluminum. Simpler design then the iphone, no fancy chrome ring around the front.

iPod Nano (stubby) - 2" -2.5" screen - video playback - 16GB at $250-$300

iPod Nano (current design) - 4GB $150 or 8GB $200

iPod Shuffle (current design) - 2GB all colors including black - $79 or $89

You could not be more correct. However, I don't believe there is a stubby nano in the works. Let's not forget these pictures of the stubby nano are complete speculation, and are completely faked. There is NO actual evidence. And certainly no photos. (Besides why not just buy an older iPod video rather than a stubby nano)
  • Reply 59 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustBrady View Post

Let's not forget these pictures of the stubby nano are complete speculation, and are completely faked. There is NO actual evidence. And certainly no photos. (Besides why not just buy an older iPod video rather than a stubby nano)

What was in those photos that Apple demanded be taken down?
  • Reply 60 of 62
    I think the existing screen size is fine but bigger is good. I would love to see Bluetooth and larger HD. AND it would be amazing if there was a software update so you could go to an album and then select shuffle rather that having to go back to menu root to select shuffle. They can't give to much as the iPhone needs to remain a clear winner...I think...