Apple, Jobs, AT&T sued over iPhone price cut, rebates

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmarc21a View Post

Well not yet...

But I will be if they come out with an improved or cheaper iphone then I will be so pissed! That's why I'm filing a pre-emptive lawsuit against Apple saying that if they ever improve the iphone or reduce the price they have to give me the new model for free for the rest of my life.

I'm sure all of you can understand the anxiety of waking up each morning wondering if evil Apple has improved or lowered the price again on the iphone.

I can't help feeling so sorry for myself, afterall my mommy said that I'm entitled to anything I want and more!

Damned right! You know, the anxiety you must be feeling even now, at the very thought of Apple improving their product.... hell, even if they DON'T do it, I think the worry alone is enough to win you a couple of mil. Go for it.
  • Reply 102 of 128
    I think this is an exciting development if for no reason other than to give us some insight into the quality of the legal analysis provided to us by melgross and Jeffdm - both of whom held themselves out to be legal eagles in another thread, and of course - assuming the case isn't dismissed, whether we'll finally get some clarity on the enforcability of merger clauses outside of Florida... I wonder if they settle if she'll get dough or $500k in store credits... heh heh
  • Reply 103 of 128
    did she really expect the iphone not to drop in price? rediculous. if she can afford to file this law suit and fund it, then i think she could afford the $100 she lost. again, idiot! i mean, im 18, on about £1000 a month, (bugger all i know), but i think even i could afford a £50 loss!
  • Reply 104 of 128
    Your honor, the defense would like to enter evidence in favor of the defendant:

A total lack of the plaintiff contacting customer service to resolve the issue, we ask the court to remove this case from the courts.

We rest our case.
  • Reply 105 of 128
    Effective immediately, I'm raising my prices so nobody complains about getting ripped off by my occasional discounts or eBay deals!
  • Reply 106 of 128
    to quote a saying from my friend..."can't teach stupid"
  • Reply 107 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dh87 View Post

Last week at Whole Foods, I paid $2.29/lb for apples. This week apples were only $1.69. I am suing Whole Food for $1 million dollars, which is a conservative estimate of my actual, emotional, and spiritual damage. As the eponym of the product in question, I may sue Apple as well.

Don't forget about the price of fuel for the past 5 years.
  • Reply 108 of 128
    What a loser.
  • Reply 109 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamesfabin View Post

I was one of those who also bought my iPhone the first night it was available. I hired a person through craigslist to stand in line for me and when he got near the front (about 10pm), he called me. I arrived and didn't have a wait . . . . These people who are upset the iPhone is now more affordable need to get a life.

To me this is the same as a person standing in line 2 weeks to see Star Wars, then complaining that now you can walk down to Block Buster and rent it for half the price. We each make our own decisions - if you want something bad enough you'll do what you need to get it.

It may sound rude, but all I can think of is that this lady couldn't afford the phone and now wants to complain about it because if she bought it today that $200 savings would have changed her life. It wont - you spend that much on a good night out at dinner. If you can't afford to play, sit on the sidelines.

That's my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree. . .

James

I'll have to say that I totally disagree with your comment about people disagreeing! How can anyone disagree with TOTAL pure logic? This woman is insane to sue Apple Inc. She should be put on the terrorist's "no fly" list to get even with her for making Apple waste the money we gave them buying their excellent products, to defend themselves against her and her dumb-a$$ lawyer's attempt to extort money from Apple when everything she did was, as you said, HER CHOICE! What arrogance to think she can blame them for what she did. This is even more ridiculous than the "twinkie defense" in court. Thanks for saying it so well!
  • Reply 110 of 128
    Geez, this is a rough group of free marketeers. You sound just like the marketing consulting company Apple has been using lately: "Effem, Effem, & Effem". I hope she wins her lawsuit, if for no other reason than to give SJ a swift kick in his arrogant behind.
  • Reply 111 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paparazzi1983 View Post

The lawyer is taking the case to court because of the money. And 'prestige'. My goodness this lady is stupid and self-centered, not realizing that it's really her fault. The conditions of purchase were laid out months before the phone was even released. . .

I hope this lawsuit just dies. It makes my head hurt at how stupid this lady is. Heck, if she had at least a decent argument like the McD's coffee lady I'd be OK. I just thought her getting millions for hot coffee was idiotic.

I knew a lawyer who was familiar with the McD's coffee suit, and it wasn't nearly as unreasonable as the papers/media made it sound. First of all, the coffee was 180 to 190 degrees, which causes nearly instantaneous 3rd degree burns. Secondly, she had to undergo multiple surgeries, and may have lost her ability to urinate in the way she used to (may have had to have a new opening surgically placed). Thirdly, on appeal, her award was reduced from the millions the papers advertised to only a couple of hundred thousand dollars, which barely paid for her surgeries, and lawyers, and left almost nothing for her upkeep (loss of employment income during surgeries), and virtually nothing for her pain which was considerable. When I learned this, it really made me re-think what I'd thought from the media's version. They never put anything in the headlines about the huge drop in her award amount in the papers!
  • Reply 112 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdahlia View Post

Geez, this is a rough group of free marketeers. You sound just like the marketing consulting company Apple has been using lately: "Effem, Effem, & Effem". I hope she wins her lawsuit, if for no other reason than to give SJ a swift kick in his arrogant behind.

Under the bridge much?
  • Reply 113 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdahlia View Post

Say What? Are you nuts? I'm not a "free marketer," as that means about what you said about the imaginary law group, but this woman is a whinning little girl! There's no way anyone should get a dime because they thought they should be able to illegally "unbound" their phone and break the AT&T contract. Neither Apple nor AT&T could earn any money by selling phones that would work on any network, rather than exclusively on only one. Every network does this. Every major network, and probably most small one's charge a huge fee to drop the service (that's part of the reason people stay with one). Dropping prices on electronics eqpt is standard operating procedure, however, I was pissed by the huge drop so soon after I bought my iPhone, but I'd never consider a law suit (partly because I realize most lawyers (although they may start out good) eventually turn into scum, just to survive in the crappy system we have).

BTW, do you know what they say about lawyers? That 98% of them give the other 2% a bad name!
  • Reply 114 of 128
    I take the iPhone price-drop as a warning:

It's always hard to decide when to buy tech-products. Apparently Apple learned that they can benefit from their customers buying their products when they're new.

I'll be expecting Apple to try out similar tactics on other products, so I'll be buying my Apple hardware mid-cycle.

thumbsdown apple
  • Reply 115 of 128
    Does this mean I can now sue if I paid $200 for a helicopter tour and then the company then offered me a DVD after the tour for $19? while I was in Hawaii??
  • Reply 116 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDW View Post

Americans have willingly allowed their legal system to become the ultimate cesspool of foolishness.

Love that.

But not willingly. It is simply the bad driving out the good. Can happen anywhere, eventually.
  • Reply 117 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarl_cabot View Post

PENALTIES for stupidity.....

Much as we all might wish for that, stupidity is not against the law.
  • Reply 118 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdavid911 View Post

I knew a lawyer who was familiar with the McD's coffee suit, and it wasn't nearly as unreasonable as the papers/media made it sound. First of all, the coffee was 180 to 190 degrees, which causes nearly instantaneous 3rd degree burns. Secondly, she had to undergo multiple surgeries, and may have lost her ability to urinate in the way she used to (may have had to have a new opening surgically placed). Thirdly, on appeal, her award was reduced from the millions the papers advertised to only a couple of hundred thousand dollars, which barely paid for her surgeries, and lawyers, and left almost nothing for her upkeep (loss of employment income during surgeries), and virtually nothing for her pain which was considerable. When I learned this, it really made me re-think what I'd thought from the media's version. They never put anything in the headlines about the huge drop in her award amount in the papers!

Yikes. How about a cite/link/reference?
  • Reply 119 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yikes. How about a cite/link/reference?

How about starting with Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_coffee_case

"Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burnt by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000. McDonald's quality control manager, Christopher Appleton, testified that this number of injuries was insufficient to cause the company to evaluate its practices. He argued that all foods hotter than 130 degrees constituted a burn hazard, and that restaurants had more pressing dangers to warn about. The plaintiffs argued that Appleton conceded that McDonald's coffee would burn the mouth and throat if consumed when served."

There are many other references around, but that's a start.
  • Reply 120 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Actually, the hot coffee suite had a bit of merit... the coffee was absurdly and dangerously hot. At least there's a pro and con.

This is total nonsense.

Right up there with the latest generation of whiners who want Apple to support their hacks, and who don't want them to fix buffer overflows so that their hacks continue to work.

Dangerously hot? I suppose you are referring to the lady in NM who sued McDonald's. The temp was 180 degrees..hot coffee out of the urn. She bought the coffee in a drive through and then placed it between her thighs and drove away. She then spilled the coffee and burned the inside of her thighs..... while driving.

At what point should we take some responsibilities. If you wanted the "glory" of having an iPhone at onset then live with the price. How many people buy a new model car without any larkdown and then drive it off the lot with depreciation immediatley. The several months later "deals" are offered left and right. And that is thousands of dollars, not 200.

I fully expected things to settle down after the hype and then buy one, not just for price, but for bugs, software support, user support.

Apple should fight this person and then sue Mr. Wang for costs.

Sal