Road to Mac OS X Leopard: an extensive look at Preview 4.0

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    imhoimho Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So we'll be on version 4.0 of Preview and I still won't be able to use it to fill out and save a PDF form?

Actually, I think you can do this now, but I can't remember how...
  • Reply 42 of 69
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imho View Post

Actually, I think you can do this now, but I can't remember how...

It's definitely possible to do it now and the feature is definitely still there in Preview 4.0 and you can definitely do it from within Safari.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    Great little preview there, AI! (pun intended!)

Seriously, Preview looks to be shaping up to be a really capable basic-viewing and editing app. I wonder though how big it's going to be and if it won't be giving up its speed or lighter resource usage because of its new features. I suppose we'll see. This might be a non-issue.

The only other thing is what was mentioned in the article: Now Preview has grown up a bit to become more powerful than just a simple PDF and image viewer, but is still far from being a full-grown image app., so it might receive some undue criticism if it does indeed fall into the odd, frustrating area in between.

Believe it or not, this makes Leopard a little more exciting to me.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

It's definitely possible to do it now and the feature is definitely still there in Preview 4.0 and you can definitely do it from within Safari.

It is?

And what about the animated GIFs? Anyone know if that was brought back? I suppose I could boot into Leopard and check, but Safari 3 won't post properly to DSLReports so I avoid it as much as possible.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    My Preview 4.0 question is this:

when you use it to rotate images, do they *stay* rotated???

As in, the next time you open them, they reflect the rotation?

been driving me nuts for years (yes, I save them after I rotate them)...
  • Reply 46 of 69
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

And the last thing I want to do is wait a minute and a half for Acrobat to open every time someone sends me a PDF that I want to look at quickly. Acrobat Pro and Photoshop are two of the biggest resource hogs on my machine. There are many times when I need to use them, but opening every PDF or JPG with and Adobe app just to view it is like killing a fly with a shotgun.

Good thing Apple gives us both a simple way to set the default opening app to whatever suits us best.

Yeah, for real.. Preview is one of my favorite mac apps. Acrobat is a buggy and bloated POS, photoshop stinks for quickly looking at a huge number of files as it takes a long time to launch.

Preview is awesome.

I just hope they don't bloat it too much.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GamoGuy View Post

Seriously, Preview looks to be shaping up to be a really capable basic-viewing and editing app. I wonder though how big it's going to be and if it won't be giving up its speed or lighter resource usage because of its new features. I suppose we'll see. This might be a non-issue.

It's not very big at all...it weighs in at 7.6 MB with only the English localization and 5.8 MB of it is graphics elements and the file format icons.

Most of the heavy-lifting is done through ImageKit, Apple's API for handling images.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

It is?

And what about the animated GIFs? Anyone know if that was brought back? I suppose I could boot into Leopard and check, but Safari 3 won't post properly to DSLReports so I avoid it as much as possible.

Animated GIFs do not animate in Preview. You do get the sidebar displaying every frame of the GIF though.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

Yeah, for real.. Preview is one of my favorite mac apps. Acrobat is a buggy and bloated POS, photoshop stinks for quickly looking at a huge number of files as it takes a long time to launch.

Preview is awesome.

I just hope they don't bloat it too much.

Yes, they stay rotated. In fact, the icon in the Preview reflects the change as soon as you save the file.

There's also a rotation effect similar to the 'iPhone' and 'iPod touch' screen rotation from portrait to landscape and vice versa. CoreAnimation right there. And when you use the 'Extract by Shape' and 'Extract by Color' the extracted part fades away.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    lgc90lgc90 Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Animated GIFs do not animate in Preview. You do get the sidebar displaying every frame of the GIF though.

Actually, Preview in Panther had a button to play the animated GIF. It was removed in the Tiger version though. I really don't see why; it was extremely convenient...
  • Reply 51 of 69
    Wow, these new preview features are awesome. Anyone know if you still have to double-click the text box to edit it? I have to take notes in class on my computer and right now I'm using adobe which is painful slow but with these added preview features I could finally stop using it. It's a bit of a pain in the current preview to double click the text box to start typing so it would be really great if we don't have to do that in this new version.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiffp1 View Post

Wow, these new preview features are awesome. Anyone know if you still have to double-click the text box to edit it? I have to take notes in class on my computer and right now I'm using adobe which is painful slow but with these added preview features I could finally stop using it. It's a bit of a pain in the current preview to double click the text box to start typing so it would be really great if we don't have to do that in this new version.

A single click is all you need to edit a text field. You can tab to next text fields.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    Quote:

A single click is all you need to edit a text field. You can tab to next text fields.

Really, whenever I create a text box in preview I get the message, Double click to edit text. When I single click nothing happens.
  • Reply 54 of 69
    re cocoa @ melgross: "Contacts there told me that if they were to have done Cocoa, it might still be in alpha."

did u mean to say if adobe had finally made a shift in the the toolchain to native cocoa in the xcode IDE, then "PS (etc) would *still* be in alpha now" instead of shipping as a 32bit (universal) app?

... ie a real osx build form adobe would have added another year to an already laggard deployment schedule for cs3?!

re 64 bit @ melgross:" if it's really needed, and demanded, it will come. So far, there is no evidence that it is."

huh? r u nuts!

64 bit makes an IMMEDAITE and SIGNIFIGANT differenace in performance for heavy-duty apps.

when paging to the swap file (for VM) is not required, an app can access objects in main memory 10X quicker!

for large images/video, 64-bit is a more than a NO-BRAINER: it is essential.

vapourware: @ melgross: "I wouldn't be surprised to know that Adobe is doing preliminary work on it."

yeah sure, there is a 64bit of cs3 in alpha at adobe ... just like that mythical cocoa version of cs3 you referenced!

apple should just buy adobe (and audtodesk) and roll the whole lot into its 'pro studio' package (at the same prices at today's studio) --- that would put us all out our misery, and accerlate the final stage in the switch-over from wintel.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

when paging to the swap file (for VM) is not required, an app can access objects in main memory 10X quicker!

Due to having more than 4GB of RAM. VM doesn't know what it is paging for - it only knows that it has to page. If that's because PS is trying to use 6 GB of RAM on a 4GB machine, then you are correct. Virtual address space can be bigger than real address space. Also, PS has its own VM system internal to the app, so that has to be figured in.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidf01 View Post

re cocoa @ melgross: "Contacts there told me that if they were to have done Cocoa, it might still be in alpha."

did u mean to say if adobe had finally made a shift in the the toolchain to native cocoa in the xcode IDE, then "PS (etc) would *still* be in alpha now" instead of shipping as a 32bit (universal) app?

... ie a real osx build form adobe would have added another year to an already laggard deployment schedule for cs3?!

re 64 bit @ melgross:" if it's really needed, and demanded, it will come. So far, there is no evidence that it is."

huh? r u nuts!

64 bit makes an IMMEDAITE and SIGNIFIGANT differenace in performance for heavy-duty apps.

for large images/video, 64-bit is a more than a NO-BRAINER: it is essential.

vapourware: @ melgross: "I wouldn't be surprised to know that Adobe is doing preliminary work on it."

yeah sure, there is a 64bit of cs3 in alpha at adobe ... just like that mythical cocoa version of cs3 you referenced!

apple should just buy adobe (and audtodesk) and roll the whole lot into its 'pro studio' package (at the same prices at today's studio) --- that would put us all out our misery, and accerlate the final stage in the switch-over from wintel.

When you know what you're talking about, come back.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    jpmukjpmuk Posts: 19member
    My main problem with Preview is that it doesn't display InDesign pdf's properly (surely it isn't just me...). It can't display anything that has a dropshadow or contains a psd file with an clear alpha channel. It drives me nuts as I then have to open up Acrobat Pro to view anything. And clients with Macs think the file is corrupt.

Please, please fix this Apple.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So we'll be on version 4.0 of Preview and I still won't be able to use it to fill out and save a PDF form?

Quote:

Where is this feature at? The PDF Forms I've loaded have no clue how to function in Preview.
  • Reply 59 of 69
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    What happened to your NDA? Or did Fox instruct you to write this?
  • Reply 60 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Does anyone know how to get the current version of Preview to display animated GIF's. I could never get this to work. Is it easier in the Leopard version?

Just drag them into Safari.