Rumor has Apple hoarding supply of new 3.2GHz Xeons

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is hoping to net the better part of Intel's high-end Penryn-based Xeon microprocessor when they launch next month, according to questionable reports based out of Japan.

The Inquirer, whose Apple-related track record is debatable, is citing sources in Tokyo who say the Mac maker has "pre-booked" the majority of Intel's upcoming 3.2GHz quad-core Xeon processors for the next-generation of its Mac Pro workstations.

The 45-nanometer chips, code-named "Harpertown," are indeed amongst the successors to those used in the existing Mac Pro. Pricing leaked out of Intel in August would have them fetching well over $1000 each, however, making for some pricey Apple desktops given that each Mac Pro would require two of these chips. It would also require that Apple update the Mac Pro's underlying architecture to accommodate a 1600MHz front-side bus.

Apple's modern day equivalent to such a system would be its custom-configuded 8-Core Mac Pro, which employs two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" processors running on a 1333MHz front-side bus and retailing for $4000. The report suggests that Apple anticipates selling so many of these niche machines, that other PC manufacturers like Dell and HP would barely have enough supply of the 3.2GHz chips to announce availability of rival offerings.

Where the Inquirer's report really becomes suspect Â*is in its further claim that Apple is also craving tons of Intel's upcoming Yorkfield Extreme chips for its "mainstream boxes." Unfortunately, Apple's mainstream boxes are its iMacs, which are based on mobile chips, and Yorkfield is the successor to the Core 2 Quad (Kentsfield), which is based on a chip family Apple has never used. Â*

That being said, Intel earlier this year confirmed that it was supplying Apple with exclusive allotments of the aforementioned 3GHz quad-core "Clovertown" chips for the Mac Pro several months ahead of other system builders. Therefore, the claims regarding "Harpertown" cannot be completely ruled out.

According to the "Harpertown" related information accidentally leaked by Intel in August, the chips are slated to launch November 11th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    a mac pro with 2 $1,172 cpus and FB-dimms apples price $4000 - $5000 1gb of ram?

At lest they are statring to use DESKTOP CPUS for there other macs.
  • Reply 2 of 109
    I hope this means that Apple will start looking at actually using desktop chips in their desktops. Intel's mainstream desktop line has nice bang for the buck, and Apple hasn't taken advantage of it yet.
  • Reply 3 of 109
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    If someone mentions xMac I will figuratively hurt them
  • Reply 4 of 109
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Is it bad that I'm tempted to say it just to find out what the heck you have in mind?
  • Reply 5 of 109
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

a mac pro with 2 $1,172 cpus and FB-dimms apples price $4000 - $5000 1gb of ram?

That sounds like more of the same, that sounds like that's the price of the Clovertowns when they were released.

Quote:

At lest they are statring to use DESKTOP CPUS for there other macs.

That's from this unconfirmed report, right? I think that's quite a dubious report unless they are very low power desktop, because the new, thinner iMacs are need very low power chips to stay cool. Now, there is a chance that there is a new machine coming whose informal code name shall not be repeated, that would be cool, but I'm not counting on it yet.
  • Reply 6 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

YOU brought it up, does that mean you self harm?
  • Reply 7 of 109
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    everything is good with Apple!, all set for Leopard announcement and we have some upgrades to go with!
  • Reply 8 of 109
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Where the Inquirer's report really becomes suspect *is in its further claim that Apple is also craving tons of Intel's upcoming Yorkfield Extreme chips for its "mainstream boxes." Unfortunately, Apple's mainstream boxes are its iMacs, which are based on mobile chips, and Yorkfield is the successor to the Core 2 Quad (Kentsfield), which is based on a chip family Apple has never used. *

xMac
  • Reply 9 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

xMac

*slap*
  • Reply 10 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

YOU brought it up, does that mean you self harm?

Heck Walter you deserve a slap anyway *slap*
  • Reply 11 of 109
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Macosrumours .. an even more unreliable source is reporting that the Mac Mini is to be replaced by the Mac Nano in the coming weeks. That would surely leave room in the desktop line up for an xMac.

</pure speculation>
  • Reply 12 of 109
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    New MacBooks!

- Jasen.
  • Reply 13 of 109
    apple needs a low end mac "workstation"... Strictly a tower no screen for 999-1499..something you can expand that uses desktop class parts...they will not penetrate business with an imac and mac pro is overkill..this is an open gap imo

They can call it simply.... The Mac i guess
  • Reply 14 of 109
    It would be just ducky if Apple made a very public effort to impress pro users. If OS, software, and hardware were firing on all cylinders, I'd be pleased as punch. I've been holding off purchasing a long time now.
  • Reply 15 of 109
    Fine, insightful, analytical reporting, especially on the issue of the veracity of the source.

Thank you.
  • Reply 16 of 109
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

apple needs a low end mac "workstation"... Strictly a tower no screen for 999-1499..something you can expand that uses desktop class parts...they will not penetrate business with an imac and mac pro is overkill..this is an open gap imo

Are you any relation to my friend sandbagginratbastid??
  • Reply 17 of 109
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    MacPro and new displays in November PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 18 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

It would be just ducky if Apple made a very public effort to impress pro users. If OS, software, and hardware were firing on all cylinders, I'd be pleased as punch. I've been holding off purchasing a long time now.

Sorry, to me Apple seems too focused on just upgrading the CPU and the motherboard while continuously overlooking the other important pieces like the graphics and sound cards.

But a consumer-level Mac with actual desktop components would be nice (less than $1500). I also think Hell will freeze over before that happens though.

As for a name, I think Apple should play off their name...maybe call it the Braeburn, or Golden Delicious.
  • Reply 19 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Macosrumours .. an even more unreliable source is reporting that the Mac Mini is to be replaced by the Mac Nano in the coming weeks. That would surely leave room in the desktop line up for an xMac.

</pure speculation>

*slap*
  • Reply 20 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

*slap*