Leopard system requirements, upgrade options, and discounts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    i think my octo-core mac pro should be able to handle this.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Which do you think would ship faster, Amazon or MacMall?
  • Reply 23 of 91
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I'm going to guess the answer is "no", but for those of you familiar with Boot Camp's XP SP2 requirement...does it have to be an SP2 install disc? Or can I install the earlier version XP from the disc I have and then install the SP2 update?
  • Reply 24 of 91
    I'd love to know how many people (who got the $100 credit) are using their iPhone early-adopter credit toward the purchase of Leopard.

(I am)
  • Reply 25 of 91
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Yeah, I saw that too. A whopping $13 educational discount. OS X Tiger was something like $69 after the educational discount. Hopefully this is an error on Apple's part.

Yes, it's extremely disappointing. They seemed to have moved the roughly 10% education discount for hardware over to software as well.

Educational institutions can apparently still buy it for $69, so you may be able to get it through them.

Apple doesn't really check educational status. Maybe too many people were taking advantage of that? The counter then would be well why wouldn't apple just put in some safeguards, rather than just taking the good discount away.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolmac View Post

I'd say Amazon. Often the ship early so the item can be delivered the release date.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How ancient a machine should new OS versions be expected to support?

1.6 GHz for the DVD player???? Come on, that is pretty weak of Apple. That knocks out many G4 iBooks, if not all?
  • Reply 28 of 91
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

1.6 GHz for the DVD player???? Come on, that is pretty weak of Apple. That knocks out many G4 iBooks, if not all?

That appears to be the requirement for the new andimproved software deinterlacing (which was certainly in dire need of improvement, let's hope it's quite a bit better).

I would guess that those G4 iBooks will run the DVD player just fine, except without the new deinterlacing goodness.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    There are a number of features there that even knock my G5 out of the running (other than Boot Camp):

Photo Booth and backdrop effects - Core Duo or faster? Why?

Front Row - requires built-in IR? None of the Pro towers have IR. I have a USB IR receiver, will that work? Probably not.

Seriously, for a 1.8GHz computer that's still under AppleCare and much higher than the 867Mhz minimum, this is depressing. Guess I'm looking at a Mac Pro sooner than expected.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Checking Leopard's iSync page, it doesn't look like Apple add very many (if any at all) new phones to the list of supported devices. Makes me wonder if iSync (the application, not the Sync Services framework) is going to be just another in the long line of cool technologies that Apple has abandoned. Ever since contact/calendar-to-iPod syncing was taken over by iTunes, it seems that iSync has been stagnant.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Front Row requires a Mac with built-in IR and an Apple Remote.

UGH. Are you kidding me? This has been touted as a built-in feature since day one, and now it's no different from Tiger's Front Row in being limited solely to those machines that shipped with it? So after all this time and paying $130, we'll STILL have to use hacks just to run it on a pre-Oct 2005 machine, despite the fact that it works fine from the keyboard or with an alternate remote? What a load of...
  • Reply 32 of 91
    I just placed an order with Amazon even though after placing the order it says it will ship around Nov 12th. I hope it ships earlier than that though.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    I recently became an ADC Select member. Does anyone know when members receive the shipping version of Leopard? Is it included with the normal monthly mailings?
  • Reply 34 of 91
    Does anyone know if you purchase Leopard through Apple and choose the standard free shipping, will you still receive Leopard by Oct 26th or do you have to choose overnight shipping?
  • Reply 35 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spellboundxxi View Post

My first generation Macbook Pro, that I bought less than 1 and a half year ago, is not even listed on the up-to-date qualifying computers page. Does it mean I can't install leopard, altough I have an Intel processor and 1,5 GB RAM? Can anyone shine a light on this?

That means you don't qualify for a discount on the new release.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolmac View Post

They both say "Order today for delivery on Oct. 26."
  • Reply 37 of 91
    What I don't get with Apple and MacMall is both say order for delivery on Oct 26th but do you have to choose the most expensive overnight shipping to actually receive it on Oct 26th? Amazon says this product ships on Oct. 26th.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm going to guess the answer is "no", but for those of you familiar with Boot Camp's XP SP2 requirement...does it have to be an SP2 install disc? Or can I install the earlier version XP from the disc I have and then install the SP2 update?

The answer to your question is YES. It MUST be an XP SP2 installation CD. An XP or XP SP1 CD will not understand the Boot Camp partition scheme correctly, and you might lose data.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petrokalis View Post

The answer to your question is YES. It MUST be an XP SP2 installation CD. An XP or XP SP1 CD will not understand the Boot Camp partition scheme correctly, and you might lose data.

Drat! (And actually, that's what I figured...my "no" was in reference to my 2nd question.) Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Are Apple going to be more strict with their licensing this time? Is there going to be any form of activation required? Can I install a single user license on my desktop AND laptop since I am just the one user of both computers? Will this be prevented or is Apple still assuming an "honesty" policy?