First Look: Apple's new MacBook Air (with photos and video)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 186
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If handling the merchandise is any prediction of sales, the MacBook Air should blow off the shelves in gale force winds.

Are you guys even trying anymore?
  • Reply 22 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Well at least you can save money on the case. Envelopes are cheap.

Yeah, but they don't have shoulder straps.
  • Reply 23 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -LD View Post

This raises an interesting problem. You've got the money to get an expensive secondary computer such as the Air. Likely you stay at nicer hotels. Usually the wifi (if available) isn't free. So now you are stuck paying $10-$20 a shot for that privilege.

No, it does not.

Almost all of the time, my company (or that of others similar to mine) is paying. This would be even more so in the case of those who habitually stay in high-priced hotels.

(Btw - this is the truth - I stayed in a hotel in NYC a couple of months ago that charged $49.95 for a 24-hour internet connect. I won't mention its name. Despite the fact that someone else was picking up the tab, I felt outraged, and did not sign on. My iPhone (with Edge) saved the day!).
  • Reply 24 of 186
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lifino View Post

Yeah, but they don't have shoulder straps.

Duck tape is releasing a new brand, "Air Tape" specifically for that purpose!
  • Reply 25 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

Amazing someone can write an ostensibly cogent and well organized article and still be ostensibly batshit insane.

can someone explain what the hell this person is talking about? \
  • Reply 26 of 186
    So, the 1.8" drives seem snappy enough for standard use, thats good to hear. But what about their life expectancy? I'll admit that I haven't kept up on the latest news, but I know that previously those 1.8" drives weren't suited to the type of intense read/write sessions you'd expect from a system drive. I think a novel solution would have been to include 8-10Gb of standard NAND flash built in for use as virtual memory and as a holding pen before large chunks of data get written or read from the HDD.

Just my thoughts, but I think a system with both types of storage would have been a boon for this type of implementation.
  • Reply 27 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

can someone explain what the hell this person is talking about? \

Lots of people have tried in the past. And, given up.

(I suggest the archeological dig of "Find more posts by....." against his name if you want to get a good feel for it).
  • Reply 28 of 186
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is an ultralight, but not an ultraportable..

Like why would you make something utralight if it wasn't utraportable. What have you been smoking?
  • Reply 29 of 186
    -ld-ld Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No, it does not.

Almost all of the time, my company (or that of others similar to mine) is paying. This would be even more so in the case of those who habitually stay in high-priced hotels.

(Btw - this is the truth - I stayed in a hotel in NYC a couple of months ago that charged $49.95 for a 24-hour internet connect. I won't mention its name. Despite the fact that someone else was picking up the tab, I felt outraged, and did not sign on. My iPhone (with Edge) saved the day!).

Your company will buy you the Air as well?

Sounds like a hell of a company. They hiring?
  • Reply 30 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

"Something in the Heir"?

I tried to figure out if there was a meaning I didn't catch, but this looks like a mistake.

I agree. It would have made sense if this was the headline to the discussion of the Powerbook Duo, however the discussion it actually headlined had no obvious connection to "heir" at all.

Regarding the Air, even if it doesn't prove to be a success, it will be good to see the new touch pad in the macbook/pro lines, and perhaps a backlit keyboard in the macbook.

Regarding the new touch pad, it would be good if the gestures were customizable. I would prefer to map the three finger swipe to move between tabs in safari. It will be interesting to see if such remapping is standard, or at least hackable. Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 31 of 186
    bjkbjk Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

Amazing someone can write an ostensibly cogent and well organized article and still be ostensibly batshit insane.

For anyone who didn't know what Ostensible meant, including myself and the author of the quote...

Ostensible = stating or appearing to be true, but not necessarily so.
  • Reply 32 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have stayed in everything from 5-star hotels to roadside motels in the US and in a number of countries around the world. In the past couple of years, there is not one that I have stayed in anywhere in the world has not had wi-fi. Indeed, the cheaper the hotel, the cheaper (or essentially free) the wi-fi.

Yikes, what hotels are these that you stay in, in NJ?

I spend about half the year in hotels, most of them good, and while almost all have wireless, their service, 90% of the time, does not encompass the entire hotel. Usually the lobby, plus maybe the first 3 floors, and if I'm lucky maybe one of the conference rooms. In fact, I'm at the Radisson in Chennai right now, using Ethernet from the 6th floor because I don't want to sit in the lobby to use WiFi. I think it was after the 5th ethernet cable I bought so i could be online from a hotel room that realized that I could take hotels' Wifi claims with a grain of salt.
  • Reply 33 of 186
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    MacBookAir=Zzz

I guess if you want to pay $2,000 USD (including tax) for the reduction of 2lbs then all the power to ya because other than that there's nothing else worth talking about. If it was 10" ultra portable it woulda been worth it.
  • Reply 34 of 186
    I just don't understand why the MBA doesn't match the competition in size/weight. Again, a Toshiba R500 is 11.1 x 8.5 x 0.77 and 2.375 lbs. Now the R500 is 12inch screen, but includes an optical drive and a ton of ports. Longer battery life and the battery is removable.

How significant is a .74inch MBA over a 0.77 Toshiba that is lighter by 8 ounces (1/6th lighter) and narrower by 1.7 inches. Again, 0.77inches with a removable battery.

They also have a 1.74lb version without the optical drive, an SSD and a smaller battery.

Review here:

http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/3_note...hiba_r500.html

Note the apple is cheaper, has 2gig of ram, and faster processor. Naturally a wonderful operating system with Apple. But Toshiba has a larger HDD or the same SSD.

Similarly, it has been like 4 years since the PB 12inch.

In that period we have saved 1.6 lbs with a bit larger of a screen, but no optical drive, no removable battery, many fewer ports.

Wouldn't a PB 12inch with the only change being an LED screen go down to like 4lbs? It would also be say 0.8 or 0.9 inches thick.

So all that engineering and 4 years of advances saved us 1lb and a touch of thickness at the price of more width and length (again if you exclude the LED).

Underwhelmed. I'll probably still buy as I want something light with Mac OS. But this is not terribly impressive.
  • Reply 35 of 186
    My 12" PowerBook G4 is probably the best piece of technology I've ever purchased; I travel extensively with it, and it's just perfect. I can watch DVDs in the middle of the Australian outback, I have 3 spare batteries for long flights (not originating in the US), and I've got a huge hard disk in it for all my photos and movies. All I want is the same form factor, same ports and options, but with a modern Intel processor. I had high hopes for the next generation Apple notebook, but the Air isn't quite right for my needs. Am I that unusual?
  • Reply 36 of 186
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Like why would you make something utralight if it wasn't utraportable. What have you been smoking?

He's been smoking nothing (which is fortunate or unfortunate, depending on your POV ). The MB Air has the same footprint as the regular ol' Plain Jane MacBook.

So it really isn't an 'ultraportable'... more like a very light and thin MacBook, with 'teh sexay' turned up a notch. Daddy likes, but an ultraportable it ain't.

• Reply 37 of 186
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

If handling the merchandise is any prediction of sales, the MacBook Air should blow off the shelves in gale force winds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Are you guys even trying anymore?

ROFLMAO! Flawless victory by Wilco. Finish him!

• Reply 38 of 186
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    The MacBook Air is awesome, fabulous, sexy, thin, light, and innovative in most ways.

Only 2GB RAM, only 80GB HD, or the shameless $999 for a smaller solid state HD.

Beautiful, Underpowered, Overpriced.

Apple will soon be reliving the Cube days.
  • Reply 39 of 186
    This will be great for many non-media professionals, and of course kids with rich parents who want to look cool.

Besides the fact that I wouldn't by it because it can't be used as part of a mobile studio, I think a lot of people will be turned off by the fact that they can't burn/rip CDs on it while travelling, can't swap the battery while travelling (very important on flights to those non-media professionals who can't afford first class), can't connect to ethernet networks, etc. etc.

To get basic functionality, one must spend a bunch of extra money on external drives, hubs, ethernet adapters, etc. etc., which results in the same sized package as a MacBook (still with less power and battery issues).

Meanwhile, Sony and Toshiba have similarly priced true sub-notebooks with the above features included....

But Kudos on the style front, Apple.

Speaking of which, does the fact that the bottom isn't flat mean that the notebook will tip all over the place when i rest my hands on the edge?
  • Reply 40 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xtrmtrk View Post

My 12" PowerBook G4 is probably the best piece of technology I've ever purchased; I travel extensively with it, and it's just perfect. I can watch DVDs in the middle of the Australian outback, I have 3 spare batteries for long flights (not originating in the US), and I've got a huge hard disk in it for all my photos and movies. All I want is the same form factor, same ports and options, but with a modern Intel processor. I had high hopes for the next generation Apple notebook, but the Air isn't quite right for my needs. Am I that unusual?

Take a PB 12inch. Grow it just .7 inch lengthwise to accommodate the 13.3 inch widescreen and a full sized keyboard. (Notice the wasted space on left/right of keyboard and screen on the new MBA). Now lose the optical drive just as they did. Cut some depth so it is around 8.5. Cut thickness to .77 but keep as a brick shape.

PB 12 was 4.6 So you'd probably be able to deliver a 3.0 lb laptop with all the ports you want (remember no optical drive, loss of a port or two and the typical LED screen save like 1/2 lb right there.

No longer the world's thinest, but just as light, smaller footprint and with two speakers and a removable battery.

I am using an old 12inch iBook G4 as I type this. So a touch heavier and bigger than you PB guys but still nice.