First Look: Apple's new MacBook Air (with photos and video)

Comments

• Reply 161 of 186
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

Say for example i'd like to charge/sync my iPod for a couple of hours and burn some work on the external DVD drive, or print, or access an external bus powered HDD, or use the ethernet adapter: not everyone is going to be able to afford, or have immediately available to them, the wireless house of the future complete with TimeMachine, wifi, wifi printers, remote DVD drives etc etc...

Not everyone is going to be able to afford an $1800 computer. The people that can are likely to have another computer from before.

Most of the stuff you mentioned can be connected to another computer in the house and shared wirelessly. If you're on a very tight budget, I don't think you'd be using an Apple product in the first place.
  • Reply 162 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not everyone is going to be able to afford an $1800 computer. The people that can are likely to have another computer from before.

Most of the stuff you mentioned can be connected to another computer in the house and shared wirelessly. If you're on a very tight budget, I don't think you'd be using an Apple product in the first place.

not everyone is going to have immediately available to them the wireless house of the future

3G USB modems are being pushed fairly heavily in Europe....that's another USB port gone!
  • Reply 163 of 186
    Quote:

not everyone is going to have immediately available to them the wireless house of the future

That's the whole point: the MacBook Air is not designed for them. That's life.

Apple is a large company that has customers with various needs. Some of its products are aimed for "everyone", some are aimed for "not everyone". Those who are "not everyone" want certain things that "everyone" cannot afford. That's life.

How many college kids run out and buy a Mac Pro with a 30" monitor? Most grab a MacBook and a few peripherals and consider themselves darned lucky to have that, then drink themselves into blissful dreams of buying a Cray.

---

An iPod already has better battery life than the Air, so it wouldn't need charging before the Air did.
  • Reply 164 of 186
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

You already said that. I didn't miss it. That's why I laid out a very inexpensive way to have a "wireless house of the future" with the capabilities you mentioned. If you don't agree with what I said, I think you should explain why rather than blindly repeating a mantra in blood red.

Quote:

3G USB modems are being pushed fairly heavily in Europe....that's another USB port gone!

If you're at home, why is this necessary? If you're on the go, you're probably not going to be carrying a printer or a hotspot.
  • Reply 165 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Say for example i'd like to charge/sync my iPod for a couple of hours and burn some work on the external DVD drive, or print, or access an external bus powered HDD, or use the ethernet adapter: not everyone is going to be able to afford, or have immediately available to them, the wireless house of the future complete with TimeMachine, wifi, wifi printers, remote DVD drives etc etc...

Just seems like compromise and assumption to me.

Bus powering/charging isn't all that great over USB hubs, unless you buy a powered hub which will need a PSU, which wouldn't really do the crisp aesthetic any favours.

a notebook itself is a compromise. You get less stuff at slower speeds for a greater price. That is the nature of it.

I have a Mac Pro at home and will be selling my MacBook as soon as I see the performance and battery differences between the HDD and SSD MBAs.

A MB is too much machine for my traveling and having to carry to 2 extra batteries is just a pain. Though, I would like to have an external battery with a power passthrough option for the MBA. That would be much simpler than changing a battery in a cramped airline seat.

I have only use one USB port for syncing my camera (5 minutes) and syncing my iPhone. If it's not for you fine, but don't knock it because you can't see how it fits for other people.
  • Reply 166 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If it's not for you fine, but don't knock it because you can't see how it fits for other people.

Agreed.
  • Reply 167 of 186
    fair enough.
  • Reply 168 of 186
    fair enough. apple knows best.
  • Reply 169 of 186
    Quote:

..likewise if other people don't think it's the saviour incarnate in aluminium.

Things/Items I don't have a use for (or like) but wouldn't trash talk just because it doesn't fit my needs or because someone else does like it.
    — Jet Skis/Waverunners

— Off-road vehicles

— Vespas

— Ultra-portables w/ tiny keyboards

— Beets

— "CD quality" sound

— HD optical media

— Hovercraft

— Silk pajamas

— Tampons

— Printed newspapers

— A baseketball hoop over a trash can

— MMORPGs (ok, I do take shots at my friends who play WoW constantly)

— 10lb notebooks with 19" screens

— Hybrid cars

— People that want an Mp3 player with a built in radio

— Cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving
  • Reply 170 of 186
    Video: MacBook Air's Thin Obsession (Parody)

What the MacBook Air should have looked like. haha

( Fujitsu's LOOX U50XN )

Seriously, this is the first 64GB SSD option I've seen that wasn't just close to the MBA's price but it's actually cheaper at $887.
  • Reply 171 of 186
    It is a UM and is a bit small with a 5.5 inch screen. Wonder how Apple would have made a machine of this size?

The specs and such are here:

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco...do?series=U810
  • Reply 172 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

It is a UM and is a bit small with a 5.5 inch screen. Wonder how Apple would have made a machine of this size?

Yeah but the fact that Fujitsu can sell 64GB of SSD flash storage -- plus a whole computer -- for 12% less than Apple sells the memory alone, with a trade in for an 80GB 1.8" drive, is pretty indicative of Apple's greed.
  • Reply 173 of 186
    Did I read the link wrong?

The computer is just over 1000, the SSD is 890 plus... That comes to almost double what Apple is asking for the memory at 999.

It's 3:00am and I'm a bit sleepy, but I don't think you get the whole computer and an SSD for 890 ish.
  • Reply 174 of 186
    Quote:

Did I read the link wrong?

The computer is just over 1000, the SSD is 890 plus... That comes to almost double what Apple is asking for the memory at 999.

It's 3:00am and I'm a bit sleepy, but I don't think you get the whole computer and an SSD for 890 ish.

Oh, my error.

I was wrong.

The computer (With Windows) is $1000. The SSD option is $887.

But still the option from Fujitsu is 11% less than Apple's.

Yesm it's late here too (2am now).
  • Reply 175 of 186
    That's a little better! Yeah, Apple does charge extra for their name. Gotta support the Steve Plane, I guess.

I'm calling it a night. (edit at 4:08: not qwight yet..)
  • Reply 176 of 186
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Say for example i'd like to charge/sync my iPod for a couple of hours and burn some work on the external DVD drive.

Dear Ross,

at the moment it is wishfull thinking over here, but these problems you are rightfully pointing at could easily be solved by a new concept of cinema display that syncs wirelessly with your MBair

The current cinema displays do allready have the much needed extra ports (USB, Firewire etc.) but today you cannot connect this screen with the MBair. Something Apple needs to address very urgently as the idea of people having multiple computers for personal use seems a bit bizarre to me
  • Reply 177 of 186
    Though the Air will likely be a secondary machine and therefore never attached to a cinema display (I have never attached - not even out of curiosity -a MB, MBP nor a PB to a display in almost 10 years of pro use), you might want to check the specs on it again, as it can support mirroring on a display. A little research... up to 1900 by 1200.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

If you go to the Apple Store and choose one of the Air models, they even list cinema displays as optional purchases for the Air.

And to whoever it was that worried about the ethernet for Airport: if you are one of the few people who do not have a second computer and buy the Air, you can buy an ethernet adapter. This is also on Apple's site and under the Store.

Again, a little research would go a long way to answering a lot of questions.
  • Reply 178 of 186
    While the tests are not for the MBA or its exact specs, it is the best I can find.
  • Reply 179 of 186
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Though the Air will likely be a secondary machine and therefore never attached to a cinema display (I have never attached - not even out of curiosity -a MB, MBP nor a PB to a display in almost 10 years of pro use), you might want to check the specs on it again, as it can support mirroring on a display. A little research... up to 1900 by 1200.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

Bergmeister,

I am faderblasted: only one port is needed from your MBair to connect with the Cinema Display!

At present I am using 3 (T H R E E, yes three) ports to connect a 20" display to my 12"PB!

This truly is great news as the CDs are a great way to dramatically expand the number of ports
  • Reply 180 of 186
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Bergmeister,

I am faderblasted: only one port is needed from your MBair to connect with the Cinema Display!

At present I am using 3 (T H R E E, yes three) ports to connect a 20" display to my 12"PB!

This truly is great news as the CDs are a great way to dramatically expand the number of ports

I knew someone once who had a faderblaster but through misadventure he's now just a shadow of his former self!