Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes

Comments

• Reply 181 of 222
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

good maybe you can delete 135 where i am referred to as the "dumbest " person

just joking, don't care, you develop a thick skin in sports message boards quickly ... and when you go to techie areas they are refreshingly civil ... in comparison of course

I can't scan all the posts. Just hit the report post button and whichever one of us gets to it first will take a look and take the appropriate action.

Members hitting the report button for spam have really helped us take out some of the trash that clutters things up.

Regarding #135, I have no idea to whom he was referring. I just zapped it anyway and gave him a point.
  • Reply 182 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdamon View Post

Be fair and use the $1799 price if you are going to argue that it is too expensive, as that is the lowest price point for the MacBook Air.

I know a huge number of people who have both a desktop and a laptop, often a MacBook Pro. If people can afford that, I assume they can afford a MacBook Air, too.

The question is not whether people will pay that much for a second machine... the question is how many people are willing to pay for the smaller form factor over the feature-rich MacBook Pro.

ok fine ... same question applies for the 1800 plus accessories. but my guess is the early adopters of this machine would be interested in the harddriveless model even though it has less capacity.

please everyone don't take it personally when i don't think apple does everything right.
  • Reply 183 of 222
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

please everyone don't take it personally when i don't think apple does everything right.

What company or person has ever down everything right? I can't imagine anyone here thinking that Apple is perfect or that it's the all signing, all dancing crap of the world*. That comment comes across, to me, as if you are fomenting an argument.

* I just wanted to use a quote from Fight Club.
  • Reply 184 of 222
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

ok fine ... same question applies for the 1800 plus accessories. but my guess is the early adopters of this machine would be interested in the harddriveless model even though it has less capacity.

I don't think Apple does everything right, but I think the objections some people haveover MBAir seem to be carried on a bit long, as if Jobs personally kicked their puppy or something.

It's clearly not a power user machine, but that wasn't the point. It would have been nice to have another USB, FW & Eth, but my parent's Compaq notebook is similarly lacking in ports and they really don't miss it. And Apple isn't taking away the MB and MBP models, so I don't see what the problem is. Maybe the MBAir is a bad idea, we won't know. I hope Apple did its homework and set realistic internal expectations.
  • Reply 185 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think Apple does everything right, but I think the objections some people haveover MBAir seem to be carried on a bit long, as if Jobs kicked their puppy or something.

HAHA
  • Reply 186 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What company or person has ever down everything right? I can't imagine anyone here thinking that Apple is perfect or that it's the all signing, all dancing crap of the world*. That comment comes across, to me, as if you are fomenting an argument.

* I just wanted to use a quote from Fight Club.

i love that show ... ok i;ll quit beating the dead <strike>horse</strike> "dog" and move on to another post
  • Reply 187 of 222
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:

got to admit that is pricy but cool. i get it now.

however i would prefer an easy battery exchange, but this is a legitimate alternative when it is available for mba. it puts me to 3500 so price is an issue.

Shop around for a cheaper option, e.g. Battery Geek sell something called Portable Power Station for $250 + $10 for a magsafe cable. 118Wh, not quite as good as 130Wh, but not bad for half the price (this one operates as an extra battery not as a charger replacement, so it's not clear if it will work for the MBA ... maybe in a few days a longer list of options will surface).

On balance, I wonder if this is such a big deal. In my own experience, notebook battery failure has been gradual enough that I could plan replacement if I had to. The one exception: when Apple had a recall for batteries suspect of bursting into flames, which happened a few days before I was due to travel, and I had to take another computer.

If you are willing to wear the extra weight of a spare battery, are you looking for the absolute lightest notebook anyway? On long trips, keeping my hand luggage as light as possible is a win. I've never carried a spare battery. I pace my usage away from power points to the available power in the battery and give up when it runs low. Any extra time from a spare battery would be made up by more time in physio for my back

I am more concerned about the lack of built-in ethernet. Add this to absence of a built-in optical drive, and it means you have only two protocol stacks that you can rely on to restore a corrupted disk: WiFi and USB. I can imagine scenarios where having another would be useful as an extra recovery option.
  • Reply 188 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdamon View Post

The question is not whether people will pay that much for a second machine... the question is how many people are willing to pay for the smaller form factor over the feature-rich MacBook Pro.

Almost every executive I know? None of my bosses are "power" uses anymore -- that's my job -- they are busy making presentations and traveling to meetings. The MBA is the laptop for them.

This is the simple market distinction I don't understand why people don't get. Power users, those of us doing production, use MBP's; our bosses will use the MBA. Sounds so simple to me.

And about time on Apple's part.
  • Reply 189 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philipm View Post

Shop around for a cheaper option, e.g. Battery Geek sell something called Portable Power Station for $250 + $10 for a magsafe cable. 118Wh, not quite as good as 130Wh, but not bad for half the price (this one operates as an extra battery not as a charger replacement, so it's not clear if it will work for the MBA ... maybe in a few days a longer list of options will surface).

On balance, I wonder if this is such a big deal. In my own experience, notebook battery failure has been gradual enough that I could plan replacement if I had to. The one exception: when Apple had a recall for batteries suspect of bursting into flames, which happened a few days before I was due to travel, and I had to take another computer.

If you are willing to wear the extra weight of a spare battery, are you looking for the absolute lightest notebook anyway? On long trips, keeping my hand luggage as light as possible is a win. I've never carried a spare battery. I pace my usage away from power points to the available power in the battery and give up when it runs low. Any extra time from a spare battery would be made up by more time in physio for my back

I am more concerned about the lack of built-in ethernet. Add this to absence of a built-in optical drive, and it means you have only two protocol stacks that you can rely on to restore a corrupted disk: WiFi and USB. I can imagine scenarios where having another would be useful as an extra recovery option.

That is pretty cool. I do hope Apple makes one. $250 is pretty steep and i will need all those ports I'll be paying for.

That battery pack weighs 2.4lbs. That makes it plus a MBA as much as a MBP, but with a whole lot more juice. A solid 12 hours would be a sweet spot for me.
  • Reply 190 of 222
    no doubt it is very sexy laptop, which I also would like to be my next laptop, but still I feel that the lack of optical drive may keep flocks of people away from it. and I hope that in near future Apple is planning to bring cd drive on it.

Sachin
  • Reply 191 of 222
    I agree with your about the business men and woman needing this. I also think that it is almost an unfinished product pushed out the door. The revision that may come down the line will make this a sweeter deal, plus the price drops on SSD
  • Reply 192 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ryanr14 View Post

I agree with your about the business men and woman needing this. I also think that it is almost an unfinished product pushed out the door. The revision that may come down the line will make this a sweeter deal, plus the price drops on SSD

most of those business execs will be forced to get a windows based computer ... remember we hear that apple has anywhere between 4 to 8% market share. A vista bootcamp requires at least 20 gigs ... How much room does it leave on your mac ... Not sure this will work for the high end or even low end business user because their IT geeks have mad bad decisions (my opinion) in making windows the operating system.
  • Reply 193 of 222
    Quote:

most of those business execs will be forced to get a windows based computer ... remember we hear that apple has anywhere between 4 to 8% market share. A vista bootcamp requires at least 20 gigs ... How much room does it leave on your mac ... Not sure this will work for the high end or even low end business user because their IT geeks have mad bad decisions (my opinion) in making windows the operating system.

Oh no! Something else we disagree on.

I don't think Windows is a bad decision, though I do think it's a bad operating system. If a company goes in with OS X they are stuck using Apple's hardware. There is no alternative! There are no longer 3rd-party vendors supplying OS X on their hardware. While I much prefer Macs I don't think I would choose Macs for most medium to large companies if I were running it.

How big is Vista. The smallest Boot Camp partition is 5GB, but a defualt build of OS X is quite hefty, though one can remove many things to thin it out. E.g.: Language files, printer drivers, iLife apps (GarageBand loops), and localization files.
  • Reply 194 of 222
    Quote:

Oh no! Something else we disagree on.

I don't think Windows is a bad decision, though I do think it's a bad operating system. If a company goes in with OS X they are stuck using Apple's hardware. There is no alternative! There are no longer 3rd-party vendors supplying OS X on their hardware. While I much prefer Macs I don't think I would choose Macs for most medium to large companies if I were running it.

How big is Vista. The smallest Boot Camp partition is 5GB, but a defualt build of OS X is quite hefty, though one can remove many things to thin it out. E.g.: Language files, printer drivers, iLife apps (GarageBand loops), and localization files.

On your first point obviously more people will agree with you than me. The 92% windows vs 8% mac is proof (i know those numbers are wrong and i'm generalizing). Yet I think the security reasons and potential productivity enhancement alone are worth switching. I cross platform my word/excel documents with 99.9% success.

On the second issue people should know that with vista you are required to have 20 gig bootcamp partition. I tried to do 5 and it wouldn't let me. They would let me do 5 for XP.

However you really need more than the 20 gigs ... I'm just giving the minimum in the interest of fairness. I'd say Vista is sucking up about 15 gigs on the bootcamp partician of my main mac working computer. I have the home version installed on it right now.
  • Reply 195 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Guess you won't be buying one, then huh?

In case you're interested, you're echoing the same venom we've been hearing since 1984 when DOS users scoffed at the horrible limitations Jobs was 'inflicting' on users with that childish GUI.

The Jobs hatred really does get old after a while, dontcha think?

But welcome!

Its not hatred, not really. To sit there and gloat about how innovative and amazing these products are is kinda goofy though... its kinda like a kind of madness. To characterize me as hating guis is wrong as well. But the capper is again, this product, and its $2500 dollar price tag. All your really buying is a brand.
  • Reply 196 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by interval View Post

But the capper is again, this product, and its $2500 dollar price tag. All your really buying is a brand.

You've shot over the price by 700 bones. Can you find a better item from another "brand" for less I'm not talking about OS X because that would make it impossible, but hardwar wise.
  • Reply 197 of 222
    I think that the MBA bashers are missing an important point ... if the MBA is truly stingier in power consumption and Apple's claims of longest battery life are true, then is an extra battery really necessary? Sure, we know that the TZ advertises 4 hr battery life, but that is if the laptop is just playing back music. Most laptops have batteries that last about 2 hours ... if the MBA actually lasts 4 or 5 hours, isn't Apple in fact already including an extra battery in the cost of the MBA without adding any extra weight? Considering that a transcontinental flight is probably less than 5 hours of usable flight time (including subtracting time for serving drinks, stowing time during takeoff and landings, and perhaps a short nap time), if the MBA can run 4 to 5 hours continuously, it will fulfill most needs for most business travelers - even ones who "work" for most of the flight. (Believe me, I fly a ton for business, and I rarely see anyone with their laptop open the whole flight working ... maybe part-time working, and part-time watching movies.) For all of those people talking about carrying an extra battery for their laptop, are they just saying this as a status symbol? Are they saying that they should actually be carrying two or three batteries to meet their needs with their current laptops?

How about an internal DVD player? Well, you all do realize that the DVD laser is one of the biggest power consumers in a laptop don't you? If you are so concerned about getting work done on a transcontinental flight, what the heck do you want a power-draining DVD player in your laptop for?

The FW debate is similar. People want to talk about being able to edit video, but the MBA comes with a hard drive limited by space (the 80GB is the largest currently offered in the 1.8" form factor), that is also a relatively slow speed. That means that to be useful, the portable actually needs TWO FW ports unless you have actually tried to capture video in a daisy-chained configuration that rarely works with the consumer, 4-pin, non-powered version of FW.

The MBA is a beautiful machine that I lust after, but I am not ashamed to admit that it is out of my price range. It was built for executives (any coincidence that Jobs chose the name Macbook Air with the initials MBA?) who on those long overseas flights CAN afford to get the seats with Empower connections? Considering their attention to detail, I suspect that Apple looked at their replaceable battery sales and figured that rather than trying to drain another $100+ out of consumers, if they simply made a laptop that could actually last a whole flight, they would have very little market for user-replaceable batteries. I do know that Apple was ridiculed for not having a replaceable battery on the iPod because people were comparing it to MP3 players that used AA or AAA batteries that WOULD die because the manufacturers spent more time on figuring out ways to swap batteries than on how to preserve power.
  • Reply 198 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

I think that the MBA bashers are missing an important point ... if the MBA is truly stingier in power consumption and Apple's claims of longest battery life are true, then is an extra battery really necessary? Sure, we know that the TZ advertises 4 hr battery life, but that is if the laptop is just playing back music. Most laptops have batteries that last about 2 hours ... if the MBA actually lasts 4 or 5 hours, isn't Apple in fact already including an extra battery in the cost of the MBA without adding any extra weight?

Jobs advertised the MBA as lasting 5 hours with Wi-Fi active. I suspect that you could get quite a bit more if you are using Word in Airplane Mode. We'll surely get a battery of tests once they start shipping.

Most other notebooks advertise their battery life at the lowest possible power usage settings and often advertise their weight without the battery. Apple didn't say it had the longest battery life as there are ultra-portable notebook with double that of the MBA, unless you mean of any Mac portable. There is also no extra battery in that cost. Based on the image on the internals and the thinness I suspect the battery is about 70% of a MacBook's battery size.

As I mentioned before, I'd like an external battery for my MBA to get me a full 12 hours for international flights. But I have doubts that will be coming anytime soon.
  • Reply 199 of 222
    Quote:

How was I 'taking it personally'..? Did I sound offended to you? I shouldn't have. I was just pointing out the fallacies in your logic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Almost every executive I know? None of my bosses are "power" uses anymore -- that's my job -- they are busy making presentations and traveling to meetings. The MBA is the laptop for them.

This is the simple market distinction I don't understand why people don't get. Power users, those of us doing production, use MBP's; our bosses will use the MBA. Sounds so simple to me.

And about time on Apple's part.

Interesting point. Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting earlier that people WOULDN'T pay for the smaller form factor, but that the form factor is the reason for the price. Therefore, the success of the MacBook Air depends on people's willingness to pay for the 'thinnovation'.

BTW, I think one of the writers at TUAW did an excellent bit on the MacBook Air that is appropriate for this forum: Analysis: What the MacBook Air is and what it isn't
  • Reply 200 of 222
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Jobs advertised the MBA as lasting 5 hours with Wi-Fi active. I suspect that you could get quite a bit more if you are using Word in Airplane Mode. We'll surely get a battery of tests once they start shipping.

Most other notebooks advertise their battery life at the lowest possible power usage settings and often advertise their weight without the battery. Apple didn't say it had the longest battery life as there are ultra-portable notebook with double that of the MBA, unless you mean of any Mac portable. There is also no extra battery in that cost. Based on the image on the internals and the thinness I suspect the battery is about 70% of a MacBook's battery size.

As I mentioned before, I'd like an external battery for my MBA to get me a full 12 hours for international flights. But I have doubts that will be coming anytime soon.

There are ultra-portable notebooks with 10 hours of battery life? When I look at http://www.pcworld.com/article/123867-1/article.html most of the portables are listed between 4 and 6 hours just playing back video. Not sure how much usable time that actually calculates out to when you are actually working, but based on the iPod battery life, I would suspect that the MBA would probably outlast most of them. My point about the "extra" battery was that in real usable time, it would be much like you would already have an extra battery because the life would be longer than the other laptops.

If you are flying for business on international flights with a real need to work 12 hours and not getting seats with Empower ports, then your company is really failing you. Still, your need is at least somewhat unusual, and is probably best addressed with an external battery. For tooling around town, I certainly would think that 5+ hours between charges would usually have me leaving any spare battery in the office or at home.