Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 198
    I ordered a brand spanking new MBP only yesterday. Four hours later, I come home to find this article. Naturally I was annoyed, and phoned Apple ten minutes ago to cancel my order. I asked the woman whether any updates are due in the near future, and she said that other people had been asking the same question, that a certain rumour had gone over the top somewhat, and that there were no planned updates to the MBP line in the next 3-6 months. So I didn't cancel it. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 122 of 198
    no one seems to be talking about macbooks hitting 2.8ghz...

if its this far off in the future we're talking; when do we see a real mac computing machine hitting the market? I mean something 15-17inchs, 2.6-2.8 ghz with a multitouchscreen instead of a touchpad? I mean really this shit they are throwing at us is like the abacus.. I know I don't need a cd drive, its nail polish on shitty plastic, but I still want a better solution than, "we'll take care of you."

just grumblings...
  • Reply 123 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post

I ordered a brand spanking new MBP only yesterday. Four hours later, I come home to find this article. Naturally I was annoyed, and phoned Apple ten minutes ago to cancel my order. I asked the woman whether any updates are due in the near future, and she said that other people had been asking the same question, that a certain rumour had gone over the top somewhat, and that there were no planned updates to the MBP line in the next 3-6 months. So I didn't cancel it. Any thoughts?

Well, first off, telephone order reps don't know Apple's long-term plans. Apple doesn't blab to the help. So, it is likely that one of you is lying.

Now, while the order rep may have knowledge of whether inventory is low and if new shiny boxes have arrived in the warehouse (which may be nowhere near her unit), the only way she'd know about long term laptop plans would be if someone with actual knowlege at Apple told her--and told her in violation of their NDA. BTW, for the rep to be telling you about Apple plans, if she did know, is a firing offence. So, if she does know and she did tell you then she's an idiot and if someone is an idiot you can't trust what they say anyway. (Actually, I think it is also firing offense to tell you Apple's future plans regardless of whether they are true or not.)

The reason sites like Apple Insider are popular is because Apple is extremely good at keeping secrets. You keep secrets by a variety of methods including rigorous compartmentalization and by really harsh NDAs. I doubt someone with actual knowledge gave away Apple secrets to a random stranger on the phone making an order--a stranger who could even work for Apple testing security by asking about rumors to see what the rep would say. Perhaps you are just that charming? Possible, I suppose... If so, you could get a job at Apple weeding out leaks--or, more likely, pseudo leaks.

Anyways, if you bought an MBP what you are getting is fast delivery and a proven design with all the kinks worked out--like the audio issues the early MBP's had. If new designs do come out soon they may well have the growing pains that many recent Apple products have gone through and the subsequent unpublicized minor revisions that happen to version 1.0 hardware. Remember that Apple often refuses to publicly acknowledge obvious and common flaws that many users experience--as was the case with laptop screens not so long ago, thus there is value in not being the first one on the block to get the latest computer, whenever it eventually comes out.

And, of course, she may have just been trying to get you off the phone. (Do the reps make commissions or retention bonuses? Probably not, but if they did, telling you that no new macs were forthcoming would keep a sale.)
  • Reply 124 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xirtus View Post

no one seems to be talking about macbooks hitting 2.8ghz...

People seem to be suggesting that a 2.8GHz MBP would double as a cooktop--just flip it over and use it as a griddle while you render MPEG2, or some such.
  • Reply 125 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You really ARE new here.

Don't you know that no matter when you buy it, it will ALWAYS be exactly 15 days before the new one comes out?

I am definitely new here.

The reason why I wrote this:

I am going to buy my first Mac. (I don't like the term 'switch', it is more like a conversion).

Therefore I don't want to buy something that will be updated a few days later.

I was going to buy whatever Jobs flung at us, given it was a 13" MBP of some sort, or buy a standard MB and do some upgrades (4GB RAM, 320GB HD).

Now the MBA is out and though it is beautiful and in my opinion a small masterpiece, it simply doesn't fit my needs.

I hence decided not to craze myself and wait until my end of semester exams are over before I buy anything (which would be the 18th of March).

I would be willing to buy a MBP if there would be some interesting spec-changes.
  • Reply 126 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skepicus View Post

Well, first off, telephone order reps don't know Apple's long-term plans. Apple doesn't blab to the help. So, it is likely that one of you is lying.

I don't know why you'd think that I would lie ... after all, I'm the one who's trying to get the best Mac he can.

I understand that maybe she's not allowed to say, or she's just been kept in the dark. More specifically, what she said was along the lines of "the employees are not aware of any updates". I just wish I knew whether or not it was worth waiting!

The two major issues for me are the processor and the graphics card. I'll manage fine with a slightly smaller battery and no multi-touch. How likely is it that the graphics card will be updated at the same time? Also, how much of a performance boost will I notice going from a 2.2GHz MBP to the new Penryn chip (2.5GHz, isn't it?)?
  • Reply 127 of 198
    canada/us stores are down...
  • Reply 128 of 198
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dukeswharf View Post

Any news of an SSD with these new Mac Pro's?

OK man what would you need SSD specially in your macbook pro? Are you showing off or plain gazylionare...

p.s. sorry i couldn't resist..
  • Reply 129 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the.western.debt View Post

canada/us stores are down...

HOLLLLAAA
  • Reply 130 of 198
    raduradu Posts: 1member
    C'mon Apple, you cand do it!

Damn, I was about to order a 15-inch 2.6GHz MBP and now I'm totally confused.
  • Reply 131 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radu View Post

C'mon Apple, you cand do it!

Damn, I was about to order a 15-inch 2.6GHz MBP and now I'm totally confused.

Well, at least you can't do anything now
  • Reply 132 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post

Well, at least you can't do anything now

The store has been down for a long time.

A Pink iPod nano? That is it?
  • Reply 133 of 198
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post

I would be willing to buy a MBP if there would be some interesting spec-changes.

Sounds like you don't have an urgent need for one right now, so just wait. The MBP is going to get *some* kind of update in the near future. Then buy and you'll have the top of the line for anything from 6-9 months.
  • Reply 134 of 198
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

The store has been down for a long time.

A Pink iPod nano? That is it?

sorry

Cruel me ? your third post truly is a stellar one
  • Reply 135 of 198
    Just curious what kind of cost increase would you expect once MBP gets updated?
  • Reply 136 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by islandguy View Post

I guessing none.
  • Reply 137 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by islandguy View Post

If the Mac Pro tower standard config went from $2499 to $2799, then you could expect a possible like increase on the laptops too.
  • Reply 138 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

If the Mac Pro tower standard config went from $2499 to $2799, then you could expect a possible like increase on the laptops too.

Why is that?
  • Reply 139 of 198
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

They also went from four core to eight core as a result. The $2800 model beats last year's $3800+ model.
  • Reply 140 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

They also went from four core to eight core as a result. The $2800 model beats last year's $3800+ model.

And included Bluetooth as standard, as well double the RAM and a larger HDD. But as you say, i think the real reason for the price increase is that the default chip uses is more expensive for Apple than the previous model. Usually Intel has been pricing the new chips the same as the previous generation chips but it looks like Apple stepped it up.

Anyone know the chip type in the previous 2.66 Quad-core Mac Pro? I'd like to get a chip to chp price comparison.