Macbook Pro Update!?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WolF_00 View Post

apple won't release any new design for laptop without presented in to the public in steve keynote

why not? steve's already presented the macbookAir. it's likely that the new macbookPro will take on similar styling (curved design, magnetic latches, keyboard)...so with any luck we won't have to wait for another keynote for this update to happen.
  • Reply 42 of 105
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinf View Post

why not? steve's already presented the macbookAir. it's likely that the new macbookPro will take on similar styling (curved design, magnetic latches, keyboard)...so with any luck we won't have to wait for another keynote for this update to happen.

because no redesign for a speed bump. penryn is not big deal. when the montevina boards come out with a substantially reduced TDP (25watts versus 35 watts) and WiMax etc, that will allow reduced enclosure volumes and merit a redesign
  • Reply 43 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinf View Post

First, why do you think Steve makes his keynote every year? do you think that he makes it just to tell everyone about company profits?? He does all that for advertisement. Look for MBA for example when it released most of media channels & newspapers are speaking about MBA. Many people in the world heard that apple revealed MBA which is the thinnest laptop in the world. this is the same thing that happened with iphone & ipod. To Get MOST benefits from newly design MBP it will be wise to presented in Steve keynote ..
  • Reply 44 of 105
    Quote:

First, why do you think Steve makes his keynote every year? do you think that he makes it just to tell everyone about company profits?? He does all that for advertisement. Look for MBA for example when it released most of media channels & newspapers are speaking about MBA. Many people in the world heard that apple revealed MBA which is the thinnest laptop in the world. this is the same thing that happened with iphone & ipod. To Get MOST benefits from newly design MBP it will be wise to presented in Steve keynote ..

I disagree with this comment. If I understand you correctly, why would Steve introduce the MBA and pro at the same time, they would be competing with each-other, and obviously the pro would most likely win. MBA is the newest of new technology, no one has ever seen anything like this, we have seen the pro. My guess is that the MBP will be released the week after the MBA, why take away the limelight of this up and coming product. But I could be wrong. MBP is already a hot item and is going to dominate when the new version is released. Stevey boy knows what he is doing, hence why Apple is leading the market.

***Also I am in the marketing business, as a designer, so I'm just speaking from my experience and what i have seen and learned.
  • Reply 45 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timbo78 View Post

I disagree with this comment. If I understand you correctly, why would Steve introduce the MBA and pro at the same time, they would be competing with each-other, and obviously the pro would most likely win. MBA is the newest of new technology, no one has ever seen anything like this, we have seen the pro. My guess is that the MBP will be released the week after the MBA, why take away the limelight of this up and coming product. But I could be wrong. MBP is already a hot item and is going to dominate when the new version is released. Stevey boy knows what he is doing, hence why Apple is leading the market.

***Also I am in the marketing business, as a designer, so I'm just speaking from my experience and what i have seen and learned.

I respect your view, but i do not think there will be any new design for MBP during the first half of 2008. Because apple must be spent a lot of money to design MBA. For that apple have to sell large quantities of MBA to recover these losses.
  • Reply 46 of 105
    Hi All,

Mac user sense 1986 (Mac SE30) but first time user of this forum. Currently I have a MacPro 2007, iMac 2007 and just sold my MacBook Pro on eBay. I usually flip my laptop every 14 months. I will get the new MacBook Pro as soon as it comes out.

Based on the last 4 years track record. Apple likes to launch a HIGH Profile product / updated once a month and minor updates weekly on Tuesdays. I personally think that the new Macbook Pro will come out week 2 or week 3 of Feb.

If the MacBook Pro gets a processor update, hard drive and a multi-touch track pad update then I can see a Tuesday launch. (Minor Update)

However if the MacBook Pro goes through a major design change then I would think that Apple would want a ?Launch event? in form of ?Save the Date?. (Major Update)

I consider the MacBook Pro a high profile product for Apple. I am expecting a (Major Update) for the MacBook Pro to follow the MacBook Air?s design and possible color change.

I think they would want to create as much media hype as possible. Therefore I would say that a launch event is most likely week 3 or week 4 Thursday or Friday 6PM.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    If i remember correctly, I was reading one of these rumor boards and it said that someone from Apple was seen carrying around a "thin 15-17 inch, black, macbook pro" as if it were a concept. I dont know how legit it was but, still that would be pretty tight.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowerd View Post

because no redesign for a speed bump. penryn is not big deal. when the montevina boards come out with a substantially reduced TDP (25watts versus 35 watts) and WiMax etc, that will allow reduced enclosure volumes and merit a redesign

Before the Santa Rosa came out loads of people were saying what you've said here about the Montevina. Fact is, no one knows when the MBP is gonna get a redesign but I can't believe Apple are going to let the MBP's design lag behind that of a cheaper product yet introduce a different keyboard, trackpad and chip for long.

MBP users may mostly love their machines as time-honoured workhorses, but having the cheaper, better looking Air around is a legitimate irritant to consumers who-would-have-shelled-out-more-$$$$$ but need more power, and Apple will know this.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    Quote:

I respect your view, but i do not think there will be any new design for MBP during the first half of 2008. Because apple must be spent a lot of money to design MBA. For that apple have to sell large quantities of MBA to recover these losses.

Apple has $18B in cash in the bank! The NRE costs to develop a laptop is in the $15 - $20M range. I am certain that Apple breaks even in *weeks*. In fact, they probably already have broken even without having shipped one unit!
  • Reply 50 of 105
    pb12pb12 Posts: 2member
    All good things to those who wait.

http://mbp12.com
  • Reply 51 of 105
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Since the Air introduction it's pretty obvious what the next MacBook Pro will have:

-LED LCD on all models, 15" & 17"

-New black keyboard, MacBook style

-Tapered bottom for added sexyness

-Enlarged trackpad with gestures

-The new angled Magsafe connector

-Magnetic lid

Some other features:

-Latest and greatest Intel processors

-Above average laptop graphics

-Since edges are tapered, there will be retractable ports like on the Air on both sides

-Optical still loads from the front

-Kensington lock!

-Optical audio in/out

-removable battery!

-.8" thick throughout

Wishful thinking:

-An elongated Magsafe connector that can take normal Magsafe adapters but you can purchase a separate larger Magsafe power brick that connect into the longer connector and it includes Ethernet, USB, audio, firewire and Video ports.
  • Reply 52 of 105
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pb12 View Post

cute, if not amateur, mockup -- but wishful thinking
  • Reply 53 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pb12 View Post

I love it!

• Reply 54 of 105
    Quote:

Wow, please take some basic business courses before making such an ignorant statement.

Like the above poster stated, Apple has $18 billion cash on-hand to finance their projects with - and that's before taking out any debts (and before you reply, and for reasons you prob. won't comprehend, having some debt can be good)!

Trust me, while the MBP *may* not be refreshed during the first half of 2008 (highly unlikely, the MBP hasn't been refreshed in ages and Apple will not allow their flagship line to go stale), it is NOT because they are trying to recover R&D cost or because they lack the funds.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

end of February..........oh man

Maybe Apple is watching the success of the MBA to see if it will be worthwhile to do a MBPA. Montevino would be needed for that.

I agree that the 1-year stretch since the MBP was last updated is a key point. I don't see a strong need for Penryn. Too little bump when the competitive set dictates big bump.
  • Reply 56 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faxthat View Post

Maybe Apple is watching the success of the MBA to see if it will be worthwhile to do a MBPA. Montevino would be needed for that.

I agree that the 1-year stretch since the MBP was last updated is a key point. I don't see a strong need for Penryn. Too little bump when the competitive set dictates big bump.

There is a massive need for the Penryn system.

~Better battery life.

~More performance.

~And just for the sake of having the latest and greatest tech.
  • Reply 57 of 105
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    how much faster would the Montevino chips be?
  • Reply 58 of 105
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deimos View Post

I just got my MacBook Pro on the 15th. I was too hoping for an update, but seeing as there was none, I just went out and got the current model. So far I'm loving it. I gave my last MacBook to my little sister and this is definitely an upgrade. I guess in the end, everything becomes outdated. Just get what you need when you need it and hope it doesn't get outdated too soon. Even if they do an update, I doubt it will make the current model "outdated" since the current specs are pretty nice as they stand. I could have done with a better graphics card though, but I guess for the slim form factor the current graphics card offers a nice balance, especially for what I do.

This post makes sense
  • Reply 59 of 105
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkhead View Post

The updates are delayed because of reasons that might seem silly. At issue is the keyboard. For anyone who is a super fast typer (myself included) you are probably skeptical of the new (spaced) apple keyboard design. I initially thought it would be bad, but typing 70wpm I can tell you the new keyboards with space around they keys is the best thing to happen in keyboards in 20 years.

Apple will have a hard time convincing users to change their keyboard without them having time to play with it. So it's tough to take the current macbook pro, ditch the keyboard for the new style when so many people are used to the current design.

EXCELLENTpoints inkhead. I thought I would hate the new keyboard that came with my iMac 24" but have found it outstanding. Now, I am also a confirmed lover of the backlit keyboard on the MacBookPro which I had always thought the touch typist's dream in the dark, but I'm not so sure. I'm looking forward to seeing the MBA in action. What I want to see is the new trackpad with the demonstrated features from iTouch on the new MBPs.
  • Reply 60 of 105
    I keep reading these threads all over about... you better wait to buy a macbook pro.

Airs are barely out... do you honestly think new macbook pros are coming in weeks to take ANY thunder away from that launch? I'd be surprised to see MBP updates before May. I don't know how other people feel, but you can ALWAYS wait 6 more months for the latest and greatest... it's an endless cycle with technology products. If you need a MBP... just buy one