Up next for Apple: the return of the Newton

Comments

• Reply 221 of 313
    I have owned various PDA devices over the years. Psion were very good as a "tiny laptop with full keyboard" but the Palm devices did all they needed to do, and did it well. Wasn't this created by ex-Newton people? Do people want a PDA without a telephone? That is the big question.

I think the iPod touch could, with a little bit of updated software, be even better than a Palm device. It's a music a video player that is capable of also being a PDA.

Must admit, I was expecting 32GB at Macworld. Even so, if the next generation Touch added an SD slot, the problem is solved.
  • Reply 222 of 313
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cathal View Post

I have owned various PDA devices over the years. Psion were very good as a "tiny laptop with full keyboard" but the Palm devices did all they needed to do, and did it well. Wasn't this created by ex-Newton people? Do people want a PDA without a telephone? That is the big question.

I'm sure there's always a demand, but it's not a growing market. Most users either want a phone device in it or have resigned themselves to having a phone in it.

Quote:

I think the iPod touch could, with a little bit of updated software, be even better than a Palm device. It's a music a video player that is capable of also being a PDA.

More than capable, all the necessary hardware is there and the software is mostly there. I think once the SDK is available, it should do just about everything a PDA can.

Quote:

Must admit, I was expecting 32GB at Macworld. Even so, if the next generation Touch added an SD slot, the problem is solved.

Unfortunately, Apple has never had a slot in any of its handheld devices since the Newton. 32GB is too soon. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a hardware update for an iPod except in the fall, that's when Apple has done almost all of its iPod updates in the last four years. iPhone updates might be separate though.
  • Reply 223 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

They were talking about how much would be put into an iPod touch, which is different than a generic solid state drive. What's available in iPods seems to be doubling every two years.

Yeah, there is probably no compelling reason to make it that gargantuan. We may never even see that much in an "iPod" because it may never need it.

Quote:

He has the silicon fab technology right

My point is that that this is where he is understimating the pace of technological development. How could we possibly predict what silicon fab technology will be like in 12 years? Lots of innovations may come our way between now and then that could enable us to easily do cheap high-capacity SSDs then. For example, in 1996, with multigigabyte hard drives just appearing, were we predicting the advent of perpendicular recording and terabyte drives today (and at around the same cost)?
  • Reply 224 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mauricev View Post

My point is that that this is where he is understimating the pace of technological development. How could we possibly predict what silicon fab technology will be like in 12 years? Lots of innovations may come our way between now and then that could enable us to easily do cheap high-capacity SSDs then.

No he's not. The number of transistors that can be laid down in a given area doubles about every 18 months. This figure is real and has not changed much in the last four decades. It's about the only thing that's held reasonably constant in all this time.
  • Reply 225 of 313
    Quote:

No he's not. The number of transistors that can be laid down in a given area doubles about every 18 months. This figure is real and has not changed much in the last four decades. It's about the only thing that's held reasonably constant in all this time.

Was he making claims about the number of transistors or specifically the capacity increase in SSDs? You seem to be making the claim that there is a one-to-one between them that will not only hold until then, but be relevant then as well. I'm not sure that was his underlying thinking or not. But I'm saying whatever the rationale for his claim, I think it's a big underestimation.
  • Reply 226 of 313
    Quote:

Was he making claims about the number of transistors or specifically the capacity increase in SSDs? You seem to be making the claim that there is a one-to-one between them that will not only hold until then, but be relevant then as well. I'm not sure that was his underlying thinking or not. But I'm saying whatever the rationale for his claim, I think it's a big underestimation.

There's a direct relation. A flash memory bit needs a certain number of transistors. The way it's done now is pretty efficient, I'm not sure if more bits per transistor can be had.
  • Reply 227 of 313
    I don't expect this to be a simple PDA. Sure, it will have what the standard PDA functions are: contacts, notes, calendar, ect. It will also have the more high end PDA functions: bluetooth, wifi, web browsing, email, ect. I also expect a sizeable flash drive like the iPod touch (and probably a way to play MP3s, everything's gotta play MP3s).

I think a good place to see it starting from is the Palm TX. That is Palm's current top of the line, non phone PDA, currently $299. I suspect this thing will be larger (somewhere between 5.25 and 7"), have at least a multitouch display (the option to use a pen with that for notetaking and drawing would be great but a pipe dream), use its bluetooth to pair with the Apple Wireless Keyboard (for extended document editing, as I can't imagine using a touch screen keyboard for THAT long) and have a variation of OSX like the iPhone/iPod touch but also similar to the Mac OSX, depending on it's orientation (ie-if you have it vertical or laid down, it is in touch mode, but if you have it horizontal, it appears more like a desktop but with no mouse cursor). As I have said in other threads, this thing would sync with your computer like a PDA but really, it would be more powerful that most PDAs. Perhaps with that new Intel chip mentioned durring CES. Pure random speculation but I think this could all be possible.

If it did have an optional wacom style pen input (BIIIG if), then it will at least use InkWell which all Macs still have. I also hope for some sort of note taking set up where you can jot notes down durring a meeting, as well as some way to do drawings or sketches that can be imported into Photoshop. Hell, I would love it if this could replace my sketchbook. I don't expect this but it would be a nice way to appeal to artists, doctors, and other people who need to write/draw on the computer on the go. If Apple didn't, it cuts out a large user base who would otherwise be interested in this product.
  • Reply 228 of 313
    Quote:

There's a direct relation. A flash memory bit needs a certain number of transistors. The way it's done now is pretty efficient, I'm not sure if more bits per transistor can be had.

Well, yeah, I guess those companies I referenced must already found a way to pack a lot of them in a 2.5' factor. As for more bits per transistor (or even whether it can be done without transistors), we'll probably just have to wait for 2020.
  • Reply 229 of 313
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

?found a way to pack a lot of them in a 2.5' factor?

I would imagine you could fit more than anyone really needs in the two & a half foot form factor you reference?

;^p
  • Reply 230 of 313
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    The ipod touch can be the pda for Apple, this new device will run a full Mac OS and have new multi touch technology.
  • Reply 231 of 313
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobilesalesman View Post

What I see most companies spend for their sale and managers is often $1000-$2000. Most people in marketing or management also have the ability to decide what they want to buy. For me I think anywhere under $1500 would be a no brainer for a pocket laptop. It would be great to see something like that cheap but I doubt it would go for prices as low as $250 maybe $500? At 500 that would sell like crazy as that is so cheap and so much more mobile and practical in the field. At that price it would be sold all the way down to blue collar mobile workers.

Well to be perfectly frank you must be associating with companies that have many many excess dollars to piss away. Where I work they buy everybody the cheapest Dells that they can squeeze out of the company. That is slow poorly configured laptops with screens that look like the quality expected form a laptop 10 years ago. If they are being charged more that $400 dollars for them I'd be very surprised. What really hurts is that one can go to just about any computer dealer in town and get a better laptop (much better screen) for that amount of money.

In any event I suspect that we are talking about different classes of devices here. what many of us imagine is a device larger than a Touch but no larger than the form factor of the old Newton. In any case thinner than the old Newton. The idea being to bring to the user a larger screen than provided by the Touch and a bit more in the way of I/O capability. All this to better support user apps beyond the media player functionality.

It should be noted that the iPhone and Touch family are not far off the mark as they are. It is really the case of having the right size screen, a bit more RAM, I/O (Bluetooth and USB) and possibly more processing power. Well that and a slot for the RF communications method of your choice, that is Cell or WiMax or whatever.

Dave
  • Reply 232 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cathal View Post

Well I think the sales of the Touch pretty much answer that question. For some people there are good reasons to keep such separated. One of those reasons is the stupid contracts you have to get involved in if you buy a iPhone a phone by the way that you supposedly own outright.

I don't exactly place myself in the above category, rather I want alternatives. This is why I'm looking of a Newton Touch upgrade that allows me to choose from standard Cell, WiMax, LTE or whatever Google comes up with.

One way to do that is through an expansion card. The other way is through a software defined Radio. Frankly I'd take either if it meant that I could carry around one device and got the service I wanted. At this moment in time IF I Could find a device that supported WiMaX and Skype type communications I'd drop my cell phone pretty quick.

Quote:

I think that is in the process of happening as we speak. The Touch & IPhone are certainly very attractive as it is now. More apps will help tremendously. Even more so a larger screen an a few more features.

Quote:

Well I was more or less in the same boat but I've extended the time of expectation to cover the delivery of the SDK. Mainly because I see a big marketing opportunity here. Well that and some of Apples other initiatives demand better hardware platforms.

As to an SD slot that is something to consider. But for Newton 2 I very much want to see the flexible RF capability alluded to above first. Give me a Newton 2 that can do WiMax and I'd be very happy indeed. Apple should certainly add expansion capability if they can but I want optional communications. Optional communications that doesn't involve lengthy contracts with Cell Phone companies. This shouldn't be take to exclude WiFi as I think that is a given, just that WiFi just isn't all that wide spread and I spend a good portion of my day where there is no Wifi at all.

Dave
  • Reply 233 of 313
    I just want an Apple slate tablet, done as only Apple would be able to do…

But I will buy a ModBook if I have to, I would just rather not have to…

I mean come on, after seeing that Apple has the ability to put out a totally bitching multi-touch slate tablet, I am gonna spend my hard earned cash on a MacBook & a Wacom tablet hacked into most definitely non-Apple chassis?!? And pay through the nose for it?!? I think not…

Give me a 17" hi-rez multi-touch/stylus slate tablet that runs the full version of OS X and all of it's included apps; that lets me run iLife, iWork & Remote Desktop; that lets me choose how I want to connect to the Internet (EDGE, WiMax, WiFi, 3G, etc.). Let me drop it into a docking stand for charging; let me use BlueTooth keyboards, trackpads (multi-touch even) & mice with it; let me use it as a desktop replacement. That I will buy in a heartbeat, and I won't feel bad about paying more than the ModBook for it…

Oh, and I'll take one 8" Newton 2 also…

And an iPhone nano…

;^p
  • Reply 234 of 313
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I just want an Apple slate tablet, done as only Apple would be able to do…

But I will buy a ModBook if I have to, I would just rather not have to…

I mean come on, after seeing that Apple has the ability to put out a totally bitching multi-touch slate tablet, I am gonna spend my hard earned cash on a MacBook & a Wacom tablet hacked into most definitely non-Apple chassis?!? And pay through the nose for it?!? I think not…

Give me a 17" hi-rez multi-touch/stylus slate tablet that runs the full version of OS X and all of it's included apps; that lets me run iLife, iWork & Remote Desktop; that lets me choose how I want to connect to the Internet (EDGE, WiMax, WiFi, 3G, etc.). Let me drop it into a docking stand for charging; let me use BlueTooth keyboards, trackpads (multi-touch even) & mice with it; let me use it as a desktop replacement. That I will buy in a heartbeat, and I won't feel bad about paying more than the ModBook for it…

Oh, and I'll take one 8" Newton 2 also…

And an iPhone nano…

;^p

Those larger tablet may come later in 2009 (yes 2009), but expect the first one to be smaller than 17". And an iPhone nano? That ones a given.

Although the design will likely differ a bit from this, I think we are heading in this direction:

nano will definitely require some sort of IM app, even a third party one. That's what the kids dig these days.
  • Reply 235 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Those larger tablet may come later in 2009 (yes 2009), but expect the first one to be smaller than 17". And an iPhone nano? That ones a given.

Although the design will likely differ a bit from this, I think we are heading in this direction:

nano will definitely require some sort of IM app, even a third party one. That's what the kids dig these days.

I would totally go for that iPhone nano…!

Side question, will we be using our iPhones & iPhone nanos as wireless tethers for our tablets, or will the tablets have the option of cell capabilities for data when out of WiFi range? And if they have cell capabilities, will it be limited to data connection, or will you be able to have your tablet in your bag and a BlueTooth earpiece/mic combo doing voice recognition dialing as needed for making and taking calls?

I realize the first Apple tablets will be smaller than 17", probably 13.3" like the MacBooks they will replace. Yes, replace. Add a docking station which charges the tablet while setting it upright on the desktop like a regular monitor. Drop a BlueTooth keyboard & multi-touch trackpad unit in front of that and you have a desktop replacement. Have an Ives designed industrial chic version of a plate holder to fold up and toss in your bag with the tablet & keyboard, pull out what you want when you need it…

I expect the 8" Newton 2 at WWDC '08 (plenty of time after the SDK is released in Feb. for the developers to write a nice collection of apps to push on the Newton 2, or will the Newton 2 actually run the full OS X?) and the 13.3" tablet no later than MacWorld 2009. Total replacement of traditional laptops with slate tablets and accessory keyboards/multi-touch trackpads (thus making a traditional laptop, only different; add in the patented iMac-esque docking station and tablets have just replaced the all-in-one lineup also!) by MacWorld 2010…

Yes Virginia, they will still make Mac Pros & Xserves for those who need them…

A set-top box, two phones, an assortment of iPods, four tablets, two or three display docking stations (matching number & size with the regular displays made for the Mac Pro), the aforementioned Mac Pro & the Xserve/XRAID rounds out the Apple product lineup. Still nice and trim, not a zillion models like Dull, er, Dell…

Where is kormac77…?!?

;^p
  • Reply 236 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I would totally go for that iPhone nano?!

I wouldn't go for it my self, at least right now, but Apple very much needs something like that in their line up. Frankly I'd be surprised if they kept the same user interface, I'm not convinced that it would scale down well.

Quote:

Side question, will we be using our iPhones & iPhone nanos as wireless tethers for our tablets, or will the tablets have the option of cell capabilities for data when out of WiFi range? And if they have cell capabilities, will it be limited to data connection, or will you be able to have your tablet in your bag and a BlueTooth earpiece/mic combo doing voice recognition dialing as needed for making and taking calls?

You ask that question like you believe that people on this forum actually know!

I don't but I can say what I'd like to see. I'd like to see a tablet that supports WiFi, as I suspect that every body else does. But I'd also like a tablet that is flexible in the other RF technologies.

By this I mean the option of Cell, WiMaX or what ever else pops up. Google anyone? The problem is pretty clear in that having tie ins to just one technology makes you a slave to really bad business practices. The only way to improve that is to have available to you competition that takes a different approach to the customer. That is the hope I see in WiMax and Google.

As to taking calls I'm so feed up with the phone company that I'm likely to go to a platform that supported Skype and keep the Cell as a separate cheap appliance. I know that is somewhat backtracking as in the past I've advocated a one device does all approach. But after getting my latest land line bill I'm leaning to keeping diversity in suppliers. Having a pay as you go cell phone is actually very economical if most of your communications takes place via other means.

Quote:

I realize the first Apple tablets will be smaller than 17", probably 13.3" like the MacBooks they will replace. Yes, replace. Add a docking station which charges the tablet while setting it upright on the desktop like a regular monitor. Drop a BlueTooth keyboard & multi-touch trackpad unit in front of that and you have a desktop replacement. Have an Ives designed industrial chic version of a plate holder to fold up and toss in your bag with the tablet & keyboard, pull out what you want when you need it?

No not replace! The whole point of a tablet device is that it serves an entirely different market than a laptop. Sure there is some cross over just as a laptop crosses over into desktop territory. I feel secure in saying though that most of us in the market for a Tablet will not be using in like a laptop.

In any event a 13" device is the wrong approach. Apple needs to start at the Touch and work up in size. At least one device that remains pocketable and of course Newton 2 which will be very slightly too large for the pocket.

Quote:

I expect the 8" Newton 2 at WWDC '08 (plenty of time after the SDK is released in Feb. for the developers to write a nice collection of apps to push on the Newton 2, or will the Newton 2 actually run the full OS X?) and the 13.3" tablet no later than MacWorld 2009. Total replacement of traditional laptops with slate tablets and accessory keyboards/multi-touch trackpads (thus making a traditional laptop, only different; add in the patented iMac-esque docking station and tablets have just replaced the all-in-one lineup also!) by MacWorld 2010?

Certainly doable to an extent but what is the point in having a 13 inch hand held device. Unless you where born with it, it would be a pain to carry around, much less use hand held. The key to sizing tablets is their usability hand held, if the size causes awkward handling then it is a dead product.

The other issue is the idea that people will want to carry around bluetooth keyboards for such devices. Really get a grip with that idea. If you need a keyboard then you have a need for a laptop not a tablet. Occasional use is one thing but to try to set yourself up to operate normally like that is questionable at best.

Quote:

Yes Virginia, they will still make Mac Pros & Xserves for those who need them?

They will make laptops too as they address a need that tablets don't.

Quote:

A set-top box, two phones, an assortment of iPods, four tablets, two or three display docking stations (matching number & size with the regular displays made for the Mac Pro), the aforementioned Mac Pro & the Xserve/XRAID rounds out the Apple product lineup. Still nice and trim, not a zillion models like Dull, er, Dell?

I realize the economy is going into a depression but why would you want to kill apple with such limited products? In fact the best way to survive an economic depression is to have products that people want to buy no matter what. Think about backed beans! The best thing Apple can do now, to be prepared for the next few years, is to offer up economical products that people can't do without. Because of the consumer products orientation that means the have to innovate.

Quote:

Where is kormac77??!?

;^p

Your post is very interesting but I think you mis some very important concepts with respect to tablet devices. Especially in the context of the coming economic collapse. Apple needs products that offer the consumer value and alternatives to high priced services of the past. One of these would be a tablet device that can easily handle Skype type communications. One of the short comings of the current Touch is that it has no audio input which is something Apple needs to address in any tablet it produces. People will be demanding as much functionality in as cheap a platform as is possible. This simply due to the reality of the economy and in part old world communications businesses unwillingness to alter their business model to compete.

Dave
  • Reply 237 of 313
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I wouldn't go for it my self, at least right now, but Apple very much needs something like that in their line up. Frankly I'd be surprised if they kept the same user interface, I'm not convinced that it would scale down well.

You ask that question like you believe that people on this forum actually know!

I don't but I can say what I'd like to see. I'd like to see a tablet that supports WiFi, as I suspect that every body else does. But I'd also like a tablet that is flexible in the other RF technologies.

By this I mean the option of Cell, WiMaX or what ever else pops up. Google anyone? The problem is pretty clear in that having tie ins to just one technology makes you a slave to really bad business practices. The only way to improve that is to have available to you competition that takes a different approach to the customer. That is the hope I see in WiMax and Google.

As to taking calls I'm so feed up with the phone company that I'm likely to go to a platform that supported Skype and keep the Cell as a separate cheap appliance. I know that is somewhat backtracking as in the past I've advocated a one device does all approach. But after getting my latest land line bill I'm leaning to keeping diversity in suppliers. Having a pay as you go cell phone is actually very economical if most of your communications takes place via other means.

No not replace! The whole point of a tablet device is that it serves an entirely different market than a laptop. Sure there is some cross over just as a laptop crosses over into desktop territory. I feel secure in saying though that most of us in the market for a Tablet will not be using in like a laptop.

In any event a 13" device is the wrong approach. Apple needs to start at the Touch and work up in size. At least one device that remains pocketable and of course Newton 2 which will be very slightly too large for the pocket.

Certainly doable to an extent but what is the point in having a 13 inch hand held device. Unless you where born with it, it would be a pain to carry around, much less use hand held. The key to sizing tablets is their usability hand held, if the size causes awkward handling then it is a dead product.

The other issue is the idea that people will want to carry around bluetooth keyboards for such devices. Really get a grip with that idea. If you need a keyboard then you have a need for a laptop not a tablet. Occasional use is one thing but to try to set yourself up to operate normally like that is questionable at best.

They will make laptops too as they address a need that tablets don't.

I realize the economy is going into a depression but why would you want to kill apple with such limited products? In fact the best way to survive an economic depression is to have products that people want to buy no matter what. Think about backed beans! The best thing Apple can do now, to be prepared for the next few years, is to offer up economical products that people can't do without. Because of the consumer products orientation that means the have to innovate.

Your post is very interesting but I think you mis some very important concepts with respect to tablet devices. Especially in the context of the coming economic collapse. Apple needs products that offer the consumer value and alternatives to high priced services of the past. One of these would be a tablet device that can easily handle Skype type communications. One of the short comings of the current Touch is that it has no audio input which is something Apple needs to address in any tablet it produces. People will be demanding as much functionality in as cheap a platform as is possible. This simply due to the reality of the economy and in part old world communications businesses unwillingness to alter their business model to compete.

Dave

Depression? Economic collapse? Um...over react much? We are hitting a recession, we have no reason to believe that it is going to get THAT bad. Times will get a little tougher for a while but with the right steps and actions, it wont last longer than 6 months or so.
  • Reply 238 of 313
    I think with the abilities of devices like the Iphone and other mobile phone devices, that rather than a new Newton it should be more of a new pocket laptop instead. The Newton never really did well for three basic reasons, high price and it was not small enough to be pocket size, and it was pen input only. I think a new Newton is not realistic as there are already pocket pc's and if they make it non jacket size it would suffer the same fate as the 7" umpc's

Now with the Iphone it fills the ultra small gizmo type featured phone. What is missing is a pocket laptop that is pocket size, specifically jacket pocket size. Somthing larger that has the largest touch type keyboard and screen yet will still fit into a jacket pocket. I know some think that touch input is great but not for real computer usage unless it is a large tablet. There are two markets for new Apple devices.

One is jacket size computer with a built in touch type keyboard that would be great to have touch type to replace a mouse input and designed around something about 4" x 7" and as thin as possible. The main focus is to provide the most generous keyboard and screen yet still be jacket pocket size for those on the go as the primary computer. That has a huge market for most mobile business people.

The other market is the larger tablet which then could be touch input only but I do not think the mass market really wants that type of device yet. It is ok for a gadget phone but not a full fledged computer as the reality is a keyboard is just easier and prefered by most.
  • Reply 239 of 313
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobilesalesman View Post

Now with the Iphone it fills the ultra small gizmo type featured phone. What is missing is a pocket laptop that is pocket size, specifically jacket pocket size. Somthing larger that has the largest touch type keyboard and screen yet will still fit into a jacket pocket.

Hasn't anybody come up with a keyboard wallet that the iPhone slides into already?

There were a number of those available for the Newton, and I imagine that if one isn't on the market already, it will be soon after the debut of the SDK.
  • Reply 240 of 313
    So I have been doing a lot of thinking, based on the rumors that have circled around these sites and the bloggosphere and I think I have come up with something very likely to expect from this device. I could be totally wrong but I would love to get some feedback here. I posted it on my blog but for those too lazy to click a link, here you go!

Quote:

There have been tons of rumors going around and it can be difficult to sort through the crap and the nonsense. Rumors of dual, multitouch 9"screens that can either be opened like a clamshell or slide on top of one another are, without a doubt, false. A 13" tablet Mac with full OSX 10.5 Leopard are a pipe dream, like my desire for an active digitizer...though perhaps not forever. I will get there later.

So let's talk about this device!

Size

The most reliable rumors indicate a 5.25" or so screen, roughly 1.5 times larger than the iPhone/iPod touch. This device will remain like those two, small and easily transportable. It is possible that the screen could be as large as 7" as this is the usual screen size for a UMPC (Samsung Q1, ASUS Eee) but as you make the screen larger, you start deducing the portability of the device. With the release of the uber thin MacBook air, I could see either one of these two screen sizes, however, being very likely and the Apple tablet device could be available in both. It wont be much thicker than an iPhone.

Power

As I am not an engineer, I can't really tell you what will be making this thing go. It will be Intel processor as the device will have to be powerful, but I can't tell you which one. The MacBook air, the new Intel Silverthorne, something else? Don't know. Can't even tell you what to expect as far as video processing other than equal to or greater than the iPhone. The battery will also be as strong.

Memory

Easy. At least 16 Gigs Flash memory, possible upgrade to 32, anymore and it will be far too expensive. It will be a very quick device.

Input

There will, of course be a multitouch screen, a home button and a sleep/wake power button like the iPod touch. If the the rumors of it being held lengthwise like a PSP, then I think there might be a second "home" button. I have thought about what this might be used for and I think it will be a context sensitive. It's action depends on the screen you are on. It will bring up menus, preferences, directories, etc.

I also suspect that there will be bluetooth and that this will allow you to pair with Apple's Wireless Keyboard or a smaller, more portable version of it. Why? Well, we will come to this.

Connectivity

Syncs to your computer through USB, but perhaps also through Bluetooth and/or WiFi. The latter are possible but not likely. As far as ports are concerned, other than an iPod docking port, it will have a headphone jack and a mini DVI port. Some think it might have 3G but that is a big stretch.

OS/Software

Sorry guys, this one wont be using full Leopard. It will have an imbedded OS and will be like the iPhone's OS, only perhaps more powerful. The touch SDK will work for this device to so when it comes out, there will be many third party applications coming soon for it.

As far as the other applications that will come with the UMPC, I expect the following.

Web

Safari

Mail

an RSS reader(?)

iLife (iPod functions)

iTunes (music)

iMovie (video)

iPhoto (photos)

iWork

Pages (word processor, this will be as close to the full version as possible)

Numbers (spreadsheets)

Keynote (more for giving the presentation than creating them. I am sure some edits will be possible but more in the text field)

This last one is what will set it apart, what will make it more than just a big iPod touch. Sure, you can synch your music and videos to it, surf the web with a larger screen, but this is how they will appeal to a larger user base.

I think it will include one more thing to add even larger appeal. "Back to My Mac" Using this feature from Leopard, the UMPC will be more than just an iPod, more than just a UMPC. This feature will be aimed at iMac users who want more portability (like myself). I can't guess at the extent to which this will work but some access would be great.

The Dock

This will not be able to use the standard iPod dock as it will be larger and have a default landscape orientation rather than portrait one. The port will be on the bottom not the top. I suspect it will be light weight and small, allowing you to carry it around and use it to prop up your UMPC at a good viewing angle. Pair your keyboard to it and you can type away comfortably, just like on a laptop. Like the iPod dock, you can charge and/or sync it.

Pricing and Release

Rumor has it this was supposed to premiere at MacWorld but was delayed. Was this because it was not ready? Or was the keynote just too long with the Time Capsule, iPhone/iPod touch update, Apple TV and iTunes rentals, and the Macbook air? It was more than an hour! I hope to see it in February with the release of the iPhone SDK.

This will be priced between an iPhone and a MacBook so no more than $800 and no less than $500.

This will, I think, begin to pave the way for a full, convertable MacBook tablet. It will solve all the problems that all the current tablet laptops suffer from. Leave it to Apple to take a failing market and fix it.